Trevor Reilly Says Coughlin Decision was "So Stupid"

AFJF

I had no problem with the decision at the time. He was looking to put a nail in the coffin, which a fg did not do at the time. 

No one can play the game of "if they just kicked the fg, they win", because that changes everything. MAYBE they do win. But it is not guaranteed. 

Agree. Who's to say the Jets play calling is not more aggressive if they need two TD's to win rather than a TD and a FG to tie? It fact it almost certainly would have been.

I thanked Coughlin in the game thread when he decided to go for it.  It was completely an utterly stupid. 

This would get most coaches fired, The Jets do not need to apologize for it either, the chances of jets winning game were less than 5% being down by 13 with 8 40 left.

Mac will get you a legit QB next yr, your defense is superb. 

They had an 8-10 minute drive down the field, moving the ball on almost every play and Coughlin went with momentum, the announcers and fans seems to like the call, until it did not work... 

Bowles made the same call vs the Bills, that play was the game and the team has to execute, interestingly the result was the same...

how does Eli get off the hook?

Moving the ball on almost every play?  It was sheer luck and simple mistakes by the Jets that let that sh*tty offense make it that far.  They converted 3rd and 10 and 3rd and 20 on penalties.  Then on 3rd and 18 they hit for 16 before they decided to go for it on 4th and 2.  I think the Church Lady figured that even if they didn't get the first, the Jets would be pinned inside the 5.  Too bad the goofus threw a pick, so the Jets got a bit of return and didn't have their backs so hard against the wall. 

This would get most coaches fired, The Jets do not need to apologize for it either, the chances of jets winning game were less than 5% being down by 13 with 8 40 left.

Mac will get you a legit QB next yr, your defense is superb. 

If Will Grier never got suspended, I truly believe we would finished the season much more competitively.  Maybe even given you guys a run Sat.  Definitely would have beat FSU. Treon is the worst QB in the history of the program.  But Mac knows it and he's missing Will for another 6 games and he cant win with Treon next season, so he's working the QB circuit.  Jacob Eason (a program changer) came in for a visit last week, #2 QB in the nation.  The #5 QB in the nation committed last week, Felipe Franks who will be battling with another top 10 recruit, Kyle Trask.  He's trying to stockpile QB's. 

Coach Mac is working it.  We'll be fine.  To pull off the season he did with this hodge podge of misfits was nothing short of impressive.  Cant believe we won the East (allbeit a down East).  It's already a great class, we got the "Manchild" committing, 6'5 340 OT and we have the best JUCO WR transfer, Dre Massey committed.

Florida is back!!!  

In the 1970s Conrad Dobler of the Cardinals had such a cast on a broken hand and kept it on well after it healed until the NFL stepped in.It's been 6 months, the fingers aren't there, if he wants to wear a glove, fine. But he shouldn't get to wear Carl Weathers' prosthetic hand from Happy Gilmore wrapped in a cast to beat OL guys about the body.

you use yer tongue purtier than a 20 dollar whore

I think Eli cost the Giants more than Coughlin's decision.  if he doesn't throw the INT and they miss on that 4th down we have the ball at our 2 instead of w/ room at the 14.  Then Eli has the 3rd down w/ a chance to seal it and he doesn't convert and inexplicably throws the ball away rather than take the sack.  That saved us a lot of time and made that final drive to tie a little more comfortable.

Moving the ball on almost every play?  It was sheer luck and simple mistakes by the Jets that let that sh*tty offense make it that far.  They converted 3rd and 10 and 3rd and 20 on penalties.  Then on 3rd and 18 they hit for 16 before they decided to go for it on 4th and 2.  I think the Church Lady figured that even if they didn't get the first, the Jets would be pinned inside the 5.  Too bad the goofus threw a pick, so the Jets got a bit of return and didn't have their backs so hard against the wall. 

Ok, maybe I need to watch the game again but The entire game was sloppy and I remember thinking if they kicked a field goal, we still had a chance but if they score a TD, the game is over, the announcers were saying it was a good call, and then Eli threw it to Miles like it was his intended target, and hope was restored :)

And I agree, it was a bad call based on the result but did not think it was Pete Carroll 1 yard line for the Super Bowl bad...

Ok, maybe I need to watch the game again but The entire game was sloppy and I remember thinking if they kicked a field goal, we still had a chance but if they score a TD, the game is over, the announcers were saying it was a good call, and then Eli threw it to Miles like it was his intended target, and hope was restored :)

And I agree, it was a bad call based on the result but did not think it was Pete Carroll 1 yard line for the Super Bowl bad...

The announcers dd not agree with call nor should they agreed with call, an 11 minute drive and you come away with nothing and make jets score 2 TD's in final 8 min, when jets only had 4 minutes of possession in 2H.  Again this was a fireable offense. Gmen have blown 4 games in final minute this yr. All HC related. 

In the 1970s Conrad Dobler of the Cardinals had such a cast on a broken hand and kept it on well after it healed until the NFL stepped in.It's been 6 months, the fingers aren't there, if he wants to wear a glove, fine. But he shouldn't get to wear Carl Weathers' prosthetic hand from Happy Gilmore wrapped in a cast to beat OL guys about the body.

LOL! Classic and on point! Someone needs to call the league office .

The announcers dd not agree with call nor should they agreed with call, an 11 minute drive and you come away with nothing and make jets score 2 TD's in final 8 min, when jets only had 4 minutes of possession in 2H.  Again this was a fireable offense. Gmen have blown 4 games in final minute this yr. All HC related. 

ok, I must be wrong; Mike Francesa thinks Giants' Tom Coughlin made right 4th down call vs. Jets

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2015/12/mike_francesa_thinks_giants_tom_coughlin_made_righ.html

the 4th down play was 4th and 2 from the 4 right ? they could have gotten a 1st down right ?

not running there is a big compliment o the jets run defense, and deciding to go for it at all was a huge insult to his own pass defense

This decision is being overblown big time...he was trying to ice the game and make it a three score affair...Giants were moving the ball handily on that drive...even if they missed, it would take two scores to tie, and the jets would have to go the entire length of the field for one of those scores, force a three and out and drive down the field again, something they were in fact able to do, but may have been able to do anyhow even with a 13 point deficit. The Jets got a field goal on the first possession, but their playcalling and approach was likely different once they to first and goal because they were playing to at least tie the game...down 13, they likely would have been a bit more aggressive and scored the TD on both possessions and won by a point in regulation.

Ya Fatcessa is judge and jury. Real Gmen fans who know their sh*t want coughlin out of there

i dont understand why this conversation is even taking place. you are arguing with people who are using what a commentator and some radio blowhard said as some sort of fact. anyone with even a little football knowledge knows the 4th down call was a huge blunder. hell, even a numbers guy could figure it out. up until the 8 minute mark, the odds were already stacked against the jets having to only score a td and a field goal. the odds go up greatly having to score 2 td's in the same time. the jets werre even gifted a free timeout by manning not taking the sack and they still needed basically every second to score 10 points. yea, manning should know better, but if i am the coach, it would have been said to keep the clock running if the play wasnt there. the jets scored 10 points in 3-1/2 quarters and we are to beleive that scoring 14 more in 8 minutes was a lock if they just adjusted the play calling to be more aggressive? geeze

First of all, if they get the 1st there's no guarantee they score a TD.  Like but no guarantee.

The argument by Fatty takes out the risk and result of going for it, which is they failed.  Precisely the same Eason you take the points and try to protect the lead.  His reasoning is that a 13 point lead was beatable but leaves out the risk of not getting the 1st and making it much easier to tie the game. 

Ang ignores that ithe play didn't work and that's just what happened 

the 4th down play was 4th and 2 from the 4 right ? they could have gotten a 1st down right ?

not running there is a big compliment o the jets run defense, and deciding to go for it at all was a huge insult to his own pass defense

no one is running on 4th and 2 in that spot. 

Archived