Schottenheimer leaving Georgia; won't coach TaxSlayer Bowl

Jetsfan80

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/sports/college/sec/university-of-georgia/bulldogs-blog/article49713660.html

Brian Schottenheimer leaving Georgia and won't coach the TaxSlayer Bowl

In its upcoming TaxSlayer Bowl, Georgia will be without the head coach, defensive coordinator and offensive coordinator it spent the 2015 season with.

Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer informed his team on Monday that he will not coach the upcoming bowl game against Penn State, a source confirmed. The story was first reported by the Scout.com affiliate Dawg Post.

Schottenheimer joined Georgia in January, after former offensive coordinator Mike Bobo left to become Colorado State's head coach. Schottenheimer was much maligned as a play-caller this season after Georgia's offense sputtered and failed to move at a consistent pace. Georgia ranks 75th in the nation in total offense at 381.4 yards per game.

The Bulldogs also rank 84th in the nation in scoring at 26.5 points per game.

Schottenheimer joins head coach Mark Richt and defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt as coaches who won't participate in the TaxSlayer Bowl. Richt was fired a day after Georgia's victory over Georgia Tech and took the Miami head coaching job a few days later. Pruitt accepted a job at Alabama and has already begun work there.

If tight ends coach John Lilly is around for the bowl game, he could be the top option to call plays. He served in that capacity during the 2014 Belk Bowl after Bobo left, with Georgia defeating Louisville 37-14.

It's unknown at this time whether Schottenheimer has another job lined up or if he's decided to go ahead and move on. A source did say some coaches, which could presumably include Schottenheimer, will continue working until Georgia leaves for the Jacksonville bowl game.

They really need to do something about college ball, like really.

You should not be allowed to contact or hire any coach until after bowl season.  This ongoing issue of teams canning their coaches or getting new ones after the year but before the bowls is idiotic.  Equally idiotic is the length of time between the last games and the bowls.

You should not be allowed to contact or hire any coach until after bowl season.  This ongoing issue of teams canning their coaches or getting new ones after the year but before the bowls is idiotic.  Equally idiotic is the length of time between the last games and the bowls.

I know people still operate under the assumption that academics don't matter (and for the guys going high in the draft they probably aren't for most of them), the large majority of football players can use that time between bowls for their exams.  I'm cool with the gap in time.  

However, I do support your view that coaches shouldn't just be allowed to abandon their team before their bowl games.  The fact that a TE coach is going to be saddled with leading those Seniors in their final game is a real shame.

ROADFAN'S SCHOTTY HIGHLIGHT REEL

2008; vs. Broncos- opens the game with a disastrous double reverse in the pouring rain resulting in a Denver fumble rec TD

2008; vs Chiefs-calls 25 passes out of the first 28 plays resulting in 3 Favre INT's against a KC team that was near last against the run. When asked about it after the game, "we tried to fool them."

2009; vs. Buffalo- calls pass after pass in 35 mph winds resulting in 5-INT game for Sanchez where the Jets ran for 300+ and could have run for close to 500, won the game, and all without throwing the ball once

2010- vs everybody; the worst 1st quarter offense in the league. The Jets ran the plays he spent all week scripting up and didn't score a TD on the opening drive for what?  Like 10 straight games or something?

2010 AFCG-calls a ridiculous play trying to pick up a 3rd and 17 deep in their own territory resulting in a strip sack TD for Pitt that ultimately was huge in deciding the game. The right call was for a draw and to punt it away. (exactly what my dad and I agreed upon before the snap in the upper deck at Heinz field.)

~5-wide, empty backfield shotgun formations on 3rd and less than 2...

~6 yard dig routes on 3rd and 8...

~failing to learn from his mistakes. He made, and continues to make the same ones over and over.

~2010; getting called out publicly by the Packer defense after getting shutout at home

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...as-predictable

~January 2011; getting called out publicly by both Braylon and Tone

~The Derrick Mason meltdown due to Schitty's playcalling...

~constant shifting and personnel changes that resulted in confusion, frustration, and delay of game penalties. AKA the Schotty "Chinese Fire Drill" offense.

~Anyone think it is a coincidence that the Jets offense was better in the hurry up? Maybe because schitthead didn't have time to call plays and the QB does it on his own.

Run out of St. Louis and back to college.

Run out of college to....?  Pop Warner maybe?

He is a liability at best and more often than not, completely incompetent. Any questions?

Don't forget having Sanchez throw the ball 300 times (give or take a few)  against the Giants with about three run plays....that was the first time I thought Rex should have been fired.  Can't sit back and watch your OC do that, then come out after the game and say "that's not what we're built for".  

Don't forget having Sanchez throw the ball 300 times (give or take a few)  against the Giants with about three run plays....that was the first time I thought Rex should have been fired.  Can't sit back and watch your OC do that, then come out after the game and say "that's not what we're built for".  

Good one!

makes one wonder what exactly Rex did during half times.

makes one wonder what exactly Rex did during half times.

I'll never pretend I wasn't a huge Rex fan, but I really thought he'd adjust and change the things he did wrong early on.  That still hasn't happened and he's essentially his own worst enemy.  When he made the comments after that Giants loss I just thought to myslef "Dude, you have a headset and you're the boss.  Tell the damn OC to run the ball"  Nice enough guy....but he never evolved like I'd hoped he would.

my two favorites. "We tried to fool them" The first is a very common issue with OCs with ambition. They would rather prove how clever and creative they are than win the game. Who cares if it is predictable and boring, was it parcels who said after being asked why he ran the same play three times in a row, "you keep doing it until they stop it"

Chinese fire drill offense haha that describes it perfectly nicely done

Pardon the ignorance, but don't you have to be a good team to make it to a bowl game? 

Not anymore.  You can go 6-6 and be eligible to get to some trashy bowl.  Not that I have a problem with it; fine by me for Seniors to extend their careers one more game and for the younger players to get a little more experience.  It doesn't take away from the bigger bowls.  Only negative is that it makes it so that reaching a bowl isn't special like it used to be.

Not anymore.  You can go 6-6 and be eligible to get to some trashy bowl.  Not that I have a problem with it; fine by me for Seniors to extend their careers one more game and for the younger players to get a little more experience.  It doesn't take away from the bigger bowls.  Only negative is that it makes it so that reaching a bowl isn't special like it used to be.

If we didn't watch they wouldn't play. It's a little of "everyone gets a trophy" but I'm a capitalist so go take that money, bowl people.

Especially when the Giants had one of the worst running defenses in the NFL that year!!

Utter Madness!!

Archived