Fort Worth Star-Telegram’s Charean Williams Talks Jets, Cowboys and Klecko

JetNation

By Glenn Naughton   As the New York Jets prepare to take on the struggling 4-9 Dallas Cowboys, JetNation.com reached out to veteran Dallas columnist Charean Williams of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. The former Texas A&M Aggie has covered the NFL for 22 seasons and is also among those NFL writers with a vote come […]

Click here to read the full story...

In the article, she mentions Peyton Manning as a lock HOF and again as a borderline guy.  Did she mean Eli the second time?

Interesting to hear a non-NYers take on Klecko.  I imagine there is a guy like Klecko on nearly every team that the fan-base thinks should be in but the rest of the country isn't as sold on. 

Just confirms what one feels about the Klecko slight, they almost don't even know that he was a pro bowler at 3 positions.

I don't think she didn't know it.  As soon as I mentioned it she immedilately acknowledged, there was no pause or uncertainty on her part so I feel like she was aware but I felt the need to mention it.

Not only did Klecko play Pro Bowl quality play at three different positions but he dominated games and was the team leader. Maybe he had Gastineau on the other side so they couldn't double team him but Joe was truly a great player.

Joe made All Pro twice and 4 Pro Bowls. Mark made All Pro 3 years in a row and 5 Pro Bowls they were both dominate but people who vote hated Gastineau. I wonder if that hate rubbed off on Joe??:blink:

I doubt this girl actually saw Klecko play. Anyone that did actually see him play knows he belongs in the Hall. Teams had to game plan for him and he mastered 3 different positions. I remember him often pushing guys around like they were a rag doll. 

Joe made All Pro twice and 4 Pro Bowls. Mark made All Pro 3 years in a row and 5 Pro Bowls they were both dominate but people who vote hated Gastineau. I wonder if that hate rubbed off on Joe??:blink:

Joe didn't like Gastineau very much either. He thought he was one dimensional which he was and flashy.

Joe didn't like Gastineau very much either. He thought he was one dimensional which he was and flashy.

It wasn't only Joe the rest of the Sack Exchange didn't either..  NFL films has Gastineau ranked 8th on the top 10 all time pass rusher list.. He had all the talent in the world and a 10 cent brain..

LT crossed the picket line also as did Joe Montana,Tony Dorsett,Randy White etc 

IIRC Mark never joined the picket line. I remember too Klecko bashing him big time for it, and then getting flamed for doing that when he himself crossed the line. That was a nasty strike,  and we had that clueless dunce Walton running the show. 

Joe was special. She's just knows the name. The guy was a JJ Watt type force at his best. 

He put silly sack numbers up before they became an official stat. I remember reading an article in the 80's from The Lions All Pro DT Doug English, saying how Klecko was has strong as a field of Texas Onions.

Dwight Stephenson, the former Dolphin said that Klecko and Long were the toughest. Both of them are in the HOF.

That's the other thing, why is Long in and not Klecko? The only thing I can think of is he's being snubbed because of his prior legal issues. 

Read the book "Nose to Nose: Battle in the Trenches" by Klecko  and Joe Fields, its a great read.

Tells alot of the inner workings of the team.

Started reading that the other day....really enjoying it so far.

Joe was special. She's just knows the name. The guy was a JJ Watt type force at his best. 

He put silly sack numbers up before they became an official stat. I remember reading an article in the 80's from The Lions All Pro DT Doug English, saying how Klecko was has strong as a field of Texas Onions.

I can not understand for the life of me why Klecko is not in the HOF? John Hannah who might be top 5 Olineman EVER, says Klecko was the best. Great stories in Nose to Nose, I love the story of Dwayne Crutchfield talking sh*t in the locker room questioning the stories of Kleckos strength. Klecko in one fell swoop grabs him by his arm & thigh & throws him up on top of the lockers. Another great story about how strong his hands were from doing masonry with his father that he bent a quarter slightly between his two fingers.

Archived