Bowles' inability to adjust and stop watkins

neckdemon

I said it in a different thread but the whole game plan was predicated on playing it safe and grinding out a win. We were always playing from behind and refused to adjust on either side of the ball to take necessary risks. We kept running Ridley for nothing. We played off Watkins on the short to keep him from burning us on the long routes. When the offense tried to take risks they were unprepared for it and bad plays were forced. It was like every Rex Ryan game his last several years once he had a lead. Played soft, gave up so much that once the other side took a lead you can't change the mindset and pound down a victory.

This loss is definitely on Bowles. Same as the bad streak in the middle of the season. You just can't play games conservatively because you're scared of a loss. It's his lesson to learn over the offseason. If he can take that away and we come back with a strong roster then we could be a real threat to take the division next year. Brady be damned.

I agree with most of this.  And Bowles (Rodgers) needs to get better.  But the whole loss isn't on him.  Some of the offensive game planning with Ivory (okay that is on him); shanked punt, missed FG, Fitz first INT, drops by WRs, stepping out of bounds; all of this contributed to the loss.  Yes, it all comes down to the coach, but in the end, it wasn't the 9 points Buffalo scored in the second half or the TOP that killed us, it was mistakes on STs and offense that did.

Also, consider this, it is significantly harder to stop an offense that knows it is going for it on 4th downs; they play differently on 3rd down and the get a third more snaps per down. Not making excuses, but Rex threw the sink at them and they still bent but didn't break.

It was simply bizarre watching as we failed to get pressure on every snap.  This wasn't exactly the Redskins line of the 80's we were dealing with.  All that talent on the line and we couldn't get past Richie Incognito and their makeshift right side of the line (missing RG and RT)?  Come on.  That was pathetic.  It's no surprise Taylor was able to find Watkins or Salas open when he was given all kinds of time. 

Single coverage on the outside is dependent on getting pressure on the QB. 

Although we statistically had a great D, we were structurally flawed. Our D line was our strength but collectively they are not a pass rushing group and we had zero speed pass rushers.. If a team leaves in 6 or 7 our D-line will not be able to consistently get to the QB. My bet is that Bowles/Mac breaks up the D-Line group to focus on speed OLB's - they will keep Snacks, Williams (obviously) but I think Mo and Sheldon can/will be traded if the right deal is there.

A non-pass rushing D-Line with no rush LB's - aside from Mauldin (who was OK) makes for a defense that must play zone in the secondary. We improved in the second half of the year because we stopped blitzing as much and played a lot of zone - unfortunately Buffalo adjusted to that and Bowles did not have the answer for that game.

First year of the program gents...I am positive about our prospects.

The most disappointing part of this game for me is how utterly unprepared and unmotivated this team was. Bowles was overmatched by the genius Rex. No double coverage on Watkins, no pass rush, Ridley getting more touches than Ivory, no adjustments whatsoever. This team looked timid and nervous in the most important game in 5 years against a mediocre and injured Buffalo team with a crappy coach. Well done Bowles.

Biggest game in 5 years and that was the best effort they could come up with.  The more time goes by the more pissed off I get; they had NO sense of urgency from the HC on down.   Buffalo is not a bad team (as evidenced by their 8-8 record) but we came out and played some real uninspired football, allowed them to get lead and have to play catch up all game long (not exactly Fitz strong point).  The guy I feel the worst for is Marshall who had one of greatest seasons in Jets history and has nothing to show for it but some highlight videos.   Bowles really needs to step up his game; I am not going to go so far as to say Rex out-coached him, but did have his team ready to go, Bowles did not. 

Biggest game in 5 years and that was the best effort they could come up with.  The more time goes by the more pissed off I get; they had NO sense of urgency from the HC on down.   Buffalo is not a bad team (as evidenced by their 8-8 record) but we came out and played some real uninspired football, allowed them to get lead and have to play catch up all game long (not exactly Fitz strong point).  The guy I feel the worst for is Marshall who had one of greatest seasons in Jets history and has nothing to show for it but some highlight videos.   Bowles really needs to step up his game; I am not going to go so far as to say Rex out-coached him, but did have his team ready to go, Bowles did not. 

I get the frustration but you do realize that Bowles took over a 4-12 that had not been in the playoffs in 4 years and in one season he did something that Mangini, Parcells, and Rex could only do a single time during their entire coaching career with the Jets...win at least 10 games. I think Bowles is doing just fine, although he obviously should and will get better.

agreed . It will be some more salt in the wound when Pittsburgh winds up in the super bowl when they shouldn't have even been in ....very real possibility AFC is a joke .

Actually, I think it is fair to say Rex had a better game plan as Bowles; Rex has been a HC 7 years, Bowels 1 - Rex also knows many of the Jets very well.  That being said, Rex teams or normally sloppy and yet with all of the holding no calls - okay. It is what it is. Rex also can motivate a team way up and this was his super bowl; I don't think Bowles is there yet, of course in the long run, Rex also has let down games - except the 11-5 season, he had trouble stringing together multiple wins. Rex also had the advantage of playing with nothing to loose; he would go for it on 4th downs a lot, he didn't have to worry about a banged up player getting worse.

All that being said, Bowles has to learn from this and improve.  Hopefully he does and the Jets do well next year.

Salas was the most sickening part of this game.  

I was so high on that kid - and he just sucked as a Jet - but came up huge for them today in a few key spots.  

I don't think Salas sucked, I thought he did fine when given the rare opportunity.  I talked to a Jets reporter at Florham Park during the pre-season and Salas was a name I brought up and we both agreed that he was a solid guy who could contribute in the right spot.  JMO of course.

This is the most bothersome part about the game for me. Thew bills really only had one guy that we had to really worry about in the passing game and bowles was UNABLE to figure out how to contain him. 61% of taylor's completions and a whopping 75% of the receiving yardage went to watkins. they really had no one else. you are supposed to at least try to take away their best player and make them beat you with greg salas. revis is not the guy to just lock down a young talented receiver anymore one on one. bowles sh*t the bed here and it's bothersome because it seemed he had no answer to this....and he is supposed to be a defensive guy.

Coverage on Watkins and six carries for Ivory.  That's what I'm always gonna' remember about this game.  Unexplainable IMO.

Although we statistically had a great D, we were structurally flawed. Our D line was our strength but collectively they are not a pass rushing group and we had zero speed pass rushers.. If a team leaves in 6 or 7 our D-line will not be able to consistently get to the QB. My bet is that Bowles/Mac breaks up the D-Line group to focus on speed OLB's - they will keep Snacks, Williams (obviously) but I think Mo and Sheldon can/will be traded if the right deal is there.

A non-pass rushing D-Line with no rush LB's - aside from Mauldin (who was OK) makes for a defense that must play zone in the secondary. We improved in the second half of the year because we stopped blitzing as much and played a lot of zone - unfortunately Buffalo adjusted to that and Bowles did not have the answer for that game.

First year of the program gents...I am positive about our prospects.

This is an excellent post!!

One need only see Arizona's defense and you realize just how important Bowles, who crafted that defense, relies on speed rushers and not a big DL as Rex in his scheme.

The fact that Bowles backed off the blitzes when he believes in them more than Rex tells that he was very much aware of the excellent points that you made in this post.

Actually, I think it is fair to say Rex had a better game plan as Bowles; Rex has been a HC 7 years, Bowels 1 - Rex also knows many of the Jets very well.  That being said, Rex teams or normally sloppy and yet with all of the holding no calls - okay. It is what it is. Rex also can motivate a team way up and this was his super bowl; I don't think Bowles is there yet, of course in the long run, Rex also has let down games - except the 11-5 season, he had trouble stringing together multiple wins. Rex also had the advantage of playing with nothing to loose; he would go for it on 4th downs a lot, he didn't have to worry about a banged up player getting worse.

All that being said, Bowles has to learn from this and improve.  Hopefully he does and the Jets do well next year.

I also find it absolutely amazing that Jets opponents for two games combined only had four penalties called against them.  One against the Pats and 3 against the Bills.  In no game this year did either the Pats or the Bills ever have totals matching those outrageously low numbers.

THAT WAS AND IS RIDICULOUS!!!!!

I also find it absolutely amazing that Jets opponents for two games combined only had four penalties called against them.  One against the Pats and 3 against the Bills.  In no game this year did either the Pats or the Bills ever have totals matching those outrageously low numbers.

THAT WAS AND IS RIDICULOUS!!!!!

Clete Blakeman had the Pats/Jets game and his crew has called some of the fewest penalties all year long.

Can't remember what crew had the Jets/Bills game.

Most Penalties Called Per Game

(Average is 14.443 Penalties for 121.267 yards per game)

Jerome Boger: 17.556 Penalties for 155.889 yards per game

Carl Cheffers: 16.625 Penalties for 135.5 yards per game

Jeff Triplette: 15.75 Penalties for 132.625 yards per game

Craig Wrolstad: 15.75 Penalties for 132.5 yards per game

Ron Torbert: 15.625 Penalties for 137.375 yards per game

Least Penalties Called Per Game

(Average is 14.443 Penalties for 121.267 yards per game)

Bill Vinovich: 11.375 Penalties for 99 yards per game

Gene Steratore: 11.875 Penalties for 99.25 yards per game

Walt Coleman: 12.875 Penalties for 105.375 yards per game

Brad Allen: 13.143 Penalties for 100 yards per game

Clete Blakeman: 13.75 Penalties for 112.75 yards per game

This is the most bothersome part about the game for me. Thew bills really only had one guy that we had to really worry about in the passing game and bowles was UNABLE to figure out how to contain him. 61% of taylor's completions and a whopping 75% of the receiving yardage went to watkins. they really had no one else. you are supposed to at least try to take away their best player and make them beat you with greg salas. revis is not the guy to just lock down a young talented receiver anymore one on one. bowles sh*t the bed here and it's bothersome because it seemed he had no answer to this....and he is supposed to be a defensive guy.

revis is not a guy who can do this anymore. its bowles' fault for continuing to put revis on an island against him when it was obvious watkins was owning him all game. after the firtst quarter....and definitely after the half the adjustment should have been made, and it wasn't and thats a problem. do you think bellichick would have let that happen"?

How about forgetting about your 1,000yrd back and asking fitzpatrick to throw out of the shotgun in freezing swirlng winds? How about being down 2, on their 10 and NOT running??

And yes, a complete inability to adjust on defense.

The CS lost that game.

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk

I get the frustration but you do realize that Bowles took over a 4-12 that had not been in the playoffs in 4 years and in one season he did something that Mangini, Parcells, and Rex could only do a single time during their entire coaching career with the Jets...win at least 10 games. I think Bowles is doing just fine, although he obviously should and will get better.

Yep I also realize that we had perhaps the easiest schedule in the league and was relatively healthy all year.  Marshall, Mangold, Revis Ferguson and Fitzpatrick are all on the wrong side of 30.  Things can change quickly in this league, you never know when you will get another opportunity like this.  I am happy the team won 10 games but I am not going to let them off the hook for pissing away a chance to go to the playoffs.  I hope you are right about him getting better...

There's also another way to look at this season and the Way Todd Bowles Career with our Jets have started .  The last 3 HCs of the Jets all started their careers with winning season and playoff appearances followed by collapses in their programs that ultimately led to their firings .  Bowles, while enjoying a winning season, won't be fooled by what it looks like , but what it actually is, which was not good enough .  Improvement have to be added and changes need to be made and we have already seen the start of the changes with the firing of the 3 assistant coaches.

If you're not getting better, you're getting worse.

Let the improvements commence.

or Ridley who has been HORRIBLE all season getting 9?

If Ivory and Powell are both hurt, who are you going to give it to? Bohannon?  Powell wasn't active.  The extent of Ivory's injury is something to bitch about

Watkins is pretty talented and he left the game without a touchdown, Revis was playing him soft probably by design because they would rather give up small yards than big ones to him.

On third and fourth down and more than 5 yards you are playing soft?  WTF?

If Ivory and Powell are both hurt, who are you going to give it to? Bohannon?  Powell wasn't active.  The extent of Ivory's injury is something to bitch about

On third and fourth down and more than 5 yards you are playing soft?  WTF?

It's fair to say my sister had a better game plan than TB and CG.

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk

Archived