2016 Mets Thread!

adb280z

Again, Alderson isn't as smart as some people here, in terms of the current composition of his team:

Alderson talks Plan A, B and C for adding a right-handed power hitter

Mets GM Sandy Alderson mentioned free-agent OF Jose Bautista and 1B-OF Steve Pearce as the type of players he might pursue if he's unable to re-sign Yoenis Cespedes.

Alderson told WOR 710 AM radio on Wednesday that he sees three ways to get right-handed power back in to the team's lineup next season.

The first, he said, would be to bring back Cespedes, "who I put in a separate category."

The second option, according to Alderson, would be to pursue a similar "significant hitter," "who would occupy quite a bit of playing time."

"There are free agents out there and, I don't want to focus on any one, but there are free agents in that category," Alderson added. "Bautista would be one of them. There are also players with other clubs that could fit that category who might be available to us, as well."

Lastly, he explained, he could pursue a complementary player, with power from the right side, who fits in well with Jay Bruce, Curtis Granderson, Michael Conforto and Juan Lagares.

He said, "someone like Steve Pearce, who is a free agent," is an example of this type of player.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, JohnJ said:

I think it may change somewhat. Not as much as it should. And it has gotten better little by little.

And I'm not writing off that there's a good chance Sandy may be able to add to the team, and that just because we sign Cespedes doesn't mean he'll settle for mediocrity otherwise, and have to dump a good player because of his salary, or not spend a little more for a real bonafide player, just because they sign an obvious, essential, no brainer piece, to help the team compete at all.

I'm looking at how to make the team better. Not how to save the Coupons money because the poor bastards have to pay Cespedes. Or what scrubs we may or may not get something out of come the dog days of summer

I'm expecting a higher payroll

We shall see tho.

I do not want to be the guy to defend the Wilsons, but they have taken the payroll up steadily the past 3 years

It’s that time of the year when we start seeing publications release their top prospects list and the first one this offseason is by Baseball Prospectus.

Mets Top 10 Prospects (preseason rankings in parentheses):

1. Amed Rosario, SS (2)
2. Robert Gsellman, RHP (9)
3. Thomas Szapucki, LHP (NA)
4. Dominic Smith, 1B (5)
5. Desmond Lindsay, OF (7)
6. Justin Dunn, RHP (NA)
7. Andres Gimenez, SS (NA)
8. Brandon Nimmo, OF (6)
9. Gavin Cecchini, SS (4)
10. Wuilmer Becerra, OF (8)

9 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

I do not want to be the guy to defend the Wilsons, but they have taken the payroll up steadily the past 3 years

Yup, it has. And I think it could go up more on top of Cespedes.

I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that Bruce is gone either. I hope he's stays actually, btw. But that would be if Sandy can get us another top of the order guy with speed on top of Jose.

There's a lot directions this could go, and I'm hoping it's better than juggling the same cast of characters we saw the last two summers. I don't think I could take another offensive drought over the summer again with some of those guys. They're role players, some of them, at best.

6 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It’s that time of the year when we start seeing publications release their top prospects list and the first one this offseason is by Baseball Prospectus.

Mets Top 10 Prospects (preseason rankings in parentheses):

1. Amed Rosario, SS (2)
2. Robert Gsellman, RHP (9)
3. Thomas Szapucki, LHP (NA)
4. Dominic Smith, 1B (5)
5. Desmond Lindsay, OF (7)
6. Justin Dunn, RHP (NA)
7. Andres Gimenez, SS (NA)
8. Brandon Nimmo, OF (6)
9. Gavin Cecchini, SS (4)
10. Wuilmer Becerra, OF (8)

More on this subject.....Rosario has matured significantly and he's getting closer possibly. THE guy to keep on eye this spring. Along with the Arms stable

Mets protect Rosario, Molina, three other prospects from Rule 5 Draft

9 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

More on this subject.....Rosario has matured significantly and he's getting closer possibly. THE guy to keep on eye this spring. Along with the Arms stable

Mets protect Rosario, Molina, three other prospects from Rule 5 Draft

Good to see the progress in the arms this season. The tank was thought empty, but a number of kids put themselves in favorable positions for the org.

14 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Again, Alderson isn't as smart as some people here, in terms of the current composition of his team:

Alderson talks Plan A, B and C for adding a right-handed power hitter

Mets GM Sandy Alderson mentioned free-agent OF Jose Bautista and 1B-OF Steve Pearce as the type of players he might pursue if he's unable to re-sign Yoenis Cespedes.

Alderson told WOR 710 AM radio on Wednesday that he sees three ways to get right-handed power back in to the team's lineup next season.

The first, he said, would be to bring back Cespedes, "who I put in a separate category."

The second option, according to Alderson, would be to pursue a similar "significant hitter," "who would occupy quite a bit of playing time."

"There are free agents out there and, I don't want to focus on any one, but there are free agents in that category," Alderson added. "Bautista would be one of them. There are also players with other clubs that could fit that category who might be available to us, as well."

Lastly, he explained, he could pursue a complementary player, with power from the right side, who fits in well with Jay Bruce, Curtis Granderson, Michael Conforto and Juan Lagares.

He said, "someone like Steve Pearce, who is a free agent," is an example of this type of player.

Do you do anything here but look for the part that might agree with you if you ignore the whole piece? 

BTW:

Their second baseman is a switch hitter and is stronger from the left side

Neil Walker 2016:

vs. RHP - .266/.333/.433

vs. LHP - .330/.391/.610

What just a clod this guy is....

Bautista keeps coming up as an alternative to Cespedes by the media. IF by chance we don't get Ces back I'm not buying the Baustista talk and really prefer we don't go there.

I don't follow Bautista closely and don't know about his health, but he did not look like the same guy to me the second half of last season and in the playoffs.

No thanks.

Fowler on the other hand would be a nice addition for CF. The only real CFer otherwise is Lagares. Lagares and Grandy would do tho this year. To me Conforto is not a CFer or RFer. If they thought Conforto was can't miss I don't think they would go all out for Ces.

So at this point Conforto is losing some ground. I suppose they could try him in RF if they trade Bruce. But I'd rather see Bruce protecting Cespedes.

Lotta possibilities and directions they could go. If The Coupons spent a little extra they could really solidify the roster and get the right people at the right positions in the lineup and in the field.....finally....... and stop this band aid approach with ill fitting pieces we've seen the last few years

4 years, makes it easy to over pay annually. We should get good production in all 4.. We've paid guys close to 20 and got sh*t production.. I'll gladly fork over a bit more per and not have to go 5-7 years.  He could've got more years but didn't want to leave NY..

Just in time for the winter meetings and now the fun starts in seeing how Sandy can tweak things.

My wishlist: A top of the order guy with speed and youth, on top of Jose, to put pressure on the D.

As far as I'm concerned there's no untouchables other than Rosario and whatever Sandy deems as the top of the Pitching staff. I really want to see Sandy add another quality player to our lineup and I don't care who goes........Grandy, Bruce, Conforto, Nimmo, Wilmer, a pitcher...I don't care lol

Wishful thinking prolly

15 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Man, I am so happy. It would have been so Mets not to bring him back. Plus now I get to keep wearing my Yo Knows Beisbol shirt.

5 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Priority now has to be moving Bruce for a catcher. Supposedly the Jays want Bruce bad, I'd do Martin for Bruce straight up most definitely.

Ha...I thought the same thing about my two Cespedes shirts

Yeah, we need a catcher too.

d'Arnaud looked like a pussy out there last year. I'm anxious to see how they approach the position and if they try to rebuild d'Arnaud one last time.

The market and it's fluidity will dictate Sandy's moves too tho.

15 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Ha...I thought the same thing about my two Cespedes shirts

Yeah, we need a catcher too.

d'Arnaud looked like a pussy out there last year. I'm anxious to see how they approach the position and if they try to rebuild d'Arnaud one last time.

The market and it's fluidity will dictate Sandy's moves too tho.

Good for him if he can bring his bat around, but this team still has a window for the next couple years and he's such a liability on defense, I don't think that's something you can correct in just one offseason. I really don't trust him at all and think the Mets have to move on.

18 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Good for him if he can bring his bat around, but this team still has a window for the next couple years and he's such a liability on defense, I don't think that's something you can correct in just one offseason. I really don't trust him at all and think the Mets have to move on.

Yeah, another year of what we saw last year would NOT be good enough. They gotta get that right.

All right this needed to be done Thanks sandy we needed that threat in the lineup he provides and everyone loves to play with him has shown he can handle playing in New York. like others said now upgrade catcher and relief pitching D'arnaud i soured on him last year injury prone and unproductive time to move on

Archived