Has the defensive line underperformed?

Matt39

I think they actually did better this season than we give them credit for. I was expecting more sacks this season and I was definitely disappointed when we let the opposing team get a big run but I think our expectations may have been a bit unrealistic, Yes we have one of the most talented defensive lines in the NFL but remember we have a HC who was new to being a HC and a DC who was new to being a DC combined with 52 players trying to learn all new playbooks. I expect they will have a better season next year.

I think they actually did better this season than we give them credit for. I was expecting more sacks this season and I was definitely disappointed when we let the opposing team get a big run but I think our expectations may have been a bit unrealistic, Yes we have one of the most talented defensive lines in the NFL but remember we have a HC who was new to being a HC and a DC who was new to being a DC combined with 52 players trying to learn all new playbooks. I expect they will have a better season next year.

Number 1 D in 2009 with a new staff plus lead the league in rushing.. As has been mentioned even from Bowles we have the need for speed.. Some fans that think 12 and a half sacks is really great must have not been around when Klecko and Gastineau put up 40 between them.. Same with John Elliot and Gerry Philbin back before sacks were a stat..

Just saw their adjusted sack rate on the season ranked them at 21st in football. I've been somewhat on the fence with Mo, but it's gotta be a no-brainer at this point to bring him back...as he's clearly our best pass rusher.

Need an edge guy obviously. Get a couple more cheap seasons out of Sheldon but I'd imagine he's the odd man out.

Sheldon missed time and was out of position a lot of the year, even taking time at LB. I think Sheldon has the better upside.  Unfortunately he has a 50 cent head.  Mo will price himself off this team. This team did its last overspending (save for a Qb) with Revis.

What did Mo have: 12 sacks? I do not consider that to be earth shattering, or worthy of a Godzilla contract. He will definitely price himself out of town.

+1 He had 3 or 4 of those sacks was coming in unblocked because the O-line was busy with Sheldon,Snacks or Williams.. Mo fanatics who want Snacks and Sheldon gone to pay Mo the big bucks won't see the same player if that happens..

I love the rational on the board.

Dont sign Mo because he's not JJ Watt.  Hopefully the Broncos won't sign Von Miller but should the Jets not sign him since he's not Lawrence Taylor?

No JiF that's not the point sign Mo if you can get him for a reasonable deal if he comes to his senses and says; Hey maybe I'm not as good as Watt.. The Mo lovers think he should be paid more then Brady is for the Pats.. Von Miller made 9.7 million last year so you think it will double in a new contract?? I don't and Miller is a 3 time Pro Bowler 2 time All Pro..

Yeah, I'm not saying that it was a complete disaster. It certainly wasn't. But you're turning a potential All-Pro 3-tech into a solid starting JAG OLB. 

I think it was the dallas game he bit so bad on a reverse the WR was 5 yards bye him before he even saw it, lol.

I would like the experiment to end, and I think it tells you what bowles really wants for his defense, a stud OLB

the question hat has to be asked by letting Mo go is....what are you going to do with the savings?  If you can't get a dominating player then why not keep your guy?  The money has to b song somewhere.  

Disagree with your statement. Having greater depth with the money you save not spending it on Mo will improve depth and also special teams which was weak largely because we were spending all of our money on the dominating players. Like I said, Snacks at $6 million, a first or second rounder and $9 million in cap space is infinitely more valuable in my opinion that $14-$15 million for Mo. Even without the first rounder that extra money is 2-4 additional above average to very good players on the team. Mo is a luxury that this team really cannot afford.

Keeping MO, unless he is sub $10M per year is just dumb. He is a pro bowl level player but not a game changer like Watt.And we have Shedon and Leonard still. Snacks on the other hand despite being a 2.5 down player is a difference maker. 

Snacks, 1st or 2nd round pick, and $8-10 million in cap space is FAR more valuable than Mo at $14-$15 million and it is not even remotely close.

Snacks is a jag. Let him walk don't offer him more than vet min.

I heard our last jag nt pouha was amazing too and we didn't miss a beat wh3n he left.

To the OP no our sound didn't underperforming. It performed the same as it always does. The problem is we think our sound is great when its really slightly above average.

Not once have they ever dominated an oline

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk

+1 He had 3 or 4 of those sacks was coming in unblocked because the O-line was busy with Sheldon,Snacks or Williams.. Mo fanatics who want Snacks and Sheldon gone to pay Mo the big bucks won't see the same player if that happens..

Mo reminds me a lot of Leonard Marshall in that he's stout, he'll get some sacks, and plays hard, but doesn't really have that next-level ability to dominate. Every time you watch JJ Watt play, he's embarrassing the sh*t out of a RT. I realize Watt is the best in the game, but if Mo believes he's worth 2/3rds of what Watt makes, he can go scratch.

I have no idea how accurate this is, but if it is in any way accurate, it tells you the leverage mo has.  he is clearly the #2 guy on this list and its not even debateable, even by the jets haters in this fan base

http://overthecap.com/position/3-4-defensive-end/

watts contract looks like a lot of fluff to me

I'm still waiting to see a good argument how letting mo go makes the jets better.  if you make the draft pick argument, you are saying let him walk and maybe we will get a dee milliner, devon smith type player in return, and all of the talk about him getting sacks because of attention snacks draws is hilarious

snacks can't hold mo's jock. 

3rd and 7, 4th quarter, jets protecting a lead, and snacks is on the sidelines

letting mo walk would be cause for celebration in ratsboro, I guarantee you that

I have no idea how accurate this is, but if it is in any way accurate, it tells you the leverage mo has.  he is clearly the #2 guy on this list and its not even debateable, even by the jets haters in this fan base

http://overthecap.com/position/3-4-defensive-end/

watts contract looks like a lot of fluff to me

I'm still waiting to see a good argument how letting mo go makes the jets better.  if you make the draft pick argument, you are saying let him walk and maybe we will get a dee milliner, devon smith type player in return, and all of the talk about him getting sacks because of attention snacks draws is hilarious

snacks can't hold mo's jock. 

3rd and 7, 4th quarter, jets protecting a lead, and snacks is on the sidelines

letting mo walk would be cause for celebration in ratsboro, I guarantee you that

The player the Pats feared was Shaun Ellis who always played the Pats tough.. Snacks and Mo play different positions what's next Snacks isn't the QB Fitz is?? No one is saying Mo isn't a very good player the question is how much do we have to lose player wise in order to sign him? To you it seems Mo by himself could get sacks with no other linemen with him..If Sheldon and Snacks go Mo will not be the same player.. When did Mo break out?? 2013 when Snacks and Sheldon were full time players..

The player the Pats feared was Shaun Ellis who always played the Pats tough.. Snacks and Mo play different positions what's next Snacks isn't the QB Fitz is?? No one is saying Mo isn't a very good player the question is how much do we have to lose player wise in order to sign him? To you it seems Mo by himself could get sacks with no other linemen with him..If Sheldon and Snacks go Mo will not be the same player.. When did Mo break out?? 2013 when Snacks and Sheldon were full time players..

its really simple.  he can rush the passer and stuff the run and he's 26.  why do you have to bring up the QB in every response ? lol

snacks is a 2 down run stuffer and sheldumb is not wort ah long term deal because of the risk involved

if you look at production, age, position and character he is the best long term investment the team can make

its really simple

Here's another question / perspective ... how much more dangerous / effective could Mo be for us if the opposing offense had to worry about a true edge rushing OLB as well as the DL?

Here's another question / perspective ... how much more dangerous / effective could Mo be for us if the opposing offense had to worry about a true edge rushing OLB as well as the DL?

OK given a choice of Mo at 16 million or Von Miller at that price which would you pick?? How much more effective would Williams and Sheldon be?? 

I love the rational on the board.

Dont sign Mo because he's not JJ Watt.  Hopefully the Broncos won't sign Von Miller but should the Jets not sign him since he's not Lawrence Taylor?

I think the question is not to sign Mo, but not to overpay Mo.

OK given a choice of Mo at 16 million or Von Miller at that price which would you pick?? How much more effective would Williams and Sheldon be?? 

I'd worry about giving either $16m. One on one, with our current team, I'd take Miller, to be honest.

However, if we can get Mo and a 1st round impact OLB, that'd be my preferred scenario. Just need to see how much Mo actually wants, rather than speculation & posturing. I don't recall him or his agent talking JJ Watt money, I thought that was Sheldon & his motor mouth.

If you have to pay 16 million I take a All Pro LB'er over 1 bowl Mo all day long.. We are rich on the D-line but not at LB'er..

He's a beast and I probably would too but Mo had more sacks and tackles this year...so I dont really get the difference other than paying a different position.  You'd be paying the same money for a player of similar production.  

edit: I realize as I type this Miller is going mental. haha

ok

so what is more important to beating the pats and winning the division, rushing the passer or stuffing the run ?

the jets need to pay mo wilk (or franchise him) and draft 2 pass rushers in the first 4 rounds imho

this defense needs an OLB in the worst way

well mr Idzik, that is how you wind up trying to win with cap space

NO-you win because you do not spend all your money on a few starters and then have nothing in reserve.  The Jets have been suffering from a talent shortage for a few years now.  Some of it was drafting and some of it was money.

Archived