First Scouting Report:   

35 members have voted

1. 1. First Scouting Report:

• Ezekiel Elliot
    • Laquan Treadwell
    • Paxton Lynch
    • Leonard Floyd
    • Noah Spence

it is an interesting comparison but it should also be noted that OTs and pass rushing OLBs have different speed requirements. 

Ogbuehi wasn't exactly spry before the injury. He's a power slob like Andre Smithwho they drafted Ogbuehi to replace

He hopes to be as good as Smith has turned out, particularly as a pass blocker. 

I don't think this whole thing of evaluating players based on 2009 perceptions is going to work out. D'Brick....Smith....There's been some years since.

Reading the Senior Bowl news threads, I think that Spence is going to be interesting.  I heard that he was horrible in interviews.  That is not good considering all the PR hype that he turned himself around.  He supposedly got his life on the right track since he left Ohio State, but he was arrested for being intoxicated and that does not bode well for a kid in recovery for an alleged Ecstasy addiction.  He was also supposed to have good grades and be a super nice kid, but if so, why was he bad in interviews?  One of the reports also said that he was all athlete, but seemed like he didn't know where he was going in a football sense.  I think that was from a limited sample size though.

Spence is definitely interesting, because on tape he looks special, but there are so many factors with these guys that the off the field issues can be worrisome.  I haven't looked into his transgressions too much, but one thing I always worry about people getting kicked off of teams, because you can be a nut job like Sheldon and still stay on a team.  These guys are worth so much to college, that they really have to screw up to get kicked off, so I wonder about underlying issues.  They have the world at their feet in college, and still can't stay out of trouble.  What happens when they have millions in the bank account?  Purely on the field, he's a monster.

I would take Spence over Floyd considering size, speed and I think he has learned a life lesson dealing with issues, he is back on track and I will be happy if a Jet on draft day, Floyd could bulk up for the combine and make it interesting but it would still be hard to see the Jets take another defensive player in the first

Overall I think Zeke would make the most impact on this team,  so he would get my vote

Is next week's poll possible 2nd round prospects? 

I want the Jets to make a splash on offense for once in the first.  With our WR group being good, TE not being strong in this draft, a RB (or a Qb if you want to dream) would be perfect.  I can even take an OL and be happy because our line is getting older.  I just want something that tells me the future on offense is going to be brighter. 

Next week, just going to put a bunch of guys already mentioned here, maybe along with Spence.  Not really correlating it with round value, I just picked the first 5 to be guys that could be around 20.  Although I can't go too deep, since the obscure prospects rarely have much tape on them available.

Some reports are that Jaylon Smith might not miss any time next season. If true, he'd probably be out of reach by the time the Jets pick. Which is sad because he's going to be a great player at the pro level.

He's going to be really good, but LB is a big need for us.  If he falls, I can see them taking a shot on him, but I'm not sure he's falling.  If he's healthy enough to play most of the season, I think he goes top 10 for sure.  If not, then we have to deal with a red shirt year with a veteran team (assuming Fitz comes back).  Not sure it's ideal.  

I choose non of the above, S'ua Cravens scouting report would be nice, and Scooby "snacks jr" Wright also please.

I'll add Cravens to the list for next week.

Spence is still a major worry for me character wise.  Sounded like he was a down right addict with some of his troubles no just smoking a bit of weed.  Also some reports from senior bowl and that he was not interviewing well and in his own words, he was talking about giving the teams his 'spiel' about how he admitted his issues and saying they would not be a problem going forward.  If not for these issues he would for sure be my pick.  In the end I chose the QB.  I'd love to get Elliot but you have to take a chance on the QB if you like the guy.

I'd love the QB, but I'm not sure which one makes it down.  Too many teams that could take a Qb above us:  Browns, 49ers, Cowboys, Bears, and Bills.  I'm not sure the right one falls through.  I love Elliot.

I went with Spence.  He had a monster Senior Bowl week, and I thought he would be out of the Jets reach.  Then I read that he didn't interview well.

Will some GM turn a blind eye on his off field issues for superior edge rushing talent?    Stay tuned   

Spence is basically a monster on the field, a dumb idiot off the field.  I guess it's the Sheldon conundrum, can you put up with the antics and the dread of a looming suspension everyday you wake up for a good player?  

It's been 15 years since we have taken a playmaker on Offense  in the 1st round (Santana Moss)--not counting TE and even Dustin Keller was a solid player. I think it's time to take Elliot and hope he becomes a difference maker for us. 

People love to bash Jets 1st round picks but 3 of the last 4 offensive playmakers (WR/RB) we have taken were Al Toon, Blair Thomas, Santana Moss and Keyshawn. All 3 WRs had very good/long productive careers. 

The guy that is very interesting to me is actually Treadwell.  There are rumors he's going to run a slow 40, but many compare him to Alshawn Jeffery, someone Marshall mentored.  Gailey loves big WRs, and he'd fit in well, allowing Decker to be in the slot.  I think if Treadwell falls, he could be a steal similar to a Dez Bryant type.

It's a 2 QB draft (I'd even argue 1 not a Goff fan, but kid has a chance) so if Wentz, and Goff are gone QB gets put on the back burner till RD 4 at the earliest IMO.

As far as Paxton Lynch goes, he is compared to Brock Osweiller who needs 3 years to sit, and learn, I'm not wasting a 1st round pick on that kind of project when I already have Petty.  Sure another Petty type project like the NC State kid in Rds 3,4 sure, but no thanks in Rd 1, or 2.

Wentz flew up draft boards faster than Bortles, amazing, it's a shame he will go where all QB'S go to die Cleveland.

I'm not the biggest fan of Lynch.  I agree, it's Goff and Wentz at this point, and both will be gone.  I love Goff, I think he has a chance to be special, but we won't have a shot on him.  One of the best things about him is the trajectory of the balls, knows how to fire it in, or drop it in if needed.  His WRs sucked, a ton of dropped passes.  

Just wondering Win, why isn't Jaylon Smith on that list?  I've seen several mocks that have him falling to 20

I was going to put him on, but then read he might be ready for the season.  If that's true, no way he even makes it to 15.  If he's not ready, I wasn't sure if we would pick him, because we can't really afford a red shirt season with a veteran roster.  Really depends on his recovery.

super interesting prospect but his knee injury was major. Likely a redshirt rookie year situation. 

Yeah, it was a devastating injury.

that wasnt even his best run vs bama, the one he took on the sidelines was much better,  BTW ragland got hurt and his replacement  #11 really phucked up on def

The guy that is trying to chase him down and can't make up much ground (No. 4) is Eddie Jackson.  He supposedly ran a 4.38 in high school.  So I'm guessing Elliot runs in the 4.4 range.  

The Jets have been getting nothing out of their first round picks for quite some time.

Leonard Williams, Calvin Pryor, Sheldon Richardson, Mo Wilkerson last 5 years.  Not bad really.

Now, we could use some offense in the first round, but depending on how the board falls, we could be looking at OLB..

Leonard Williams, Calvin Pryor, Sheldon Richardson, Mo Wilkerson last 5 years.  Not bad really.

Now, we could use some offense in the first round, but depending on how the board falls, we could be looking at OLB..

Why'd you skip Milliner, Coples, and Wilson? ;)

Jesus that's a lot of defense. 

The guy that is very interesting to me is actually Treadwell.  There are rumors he's going to run a slow 40, but many compare him to Alshawn Jeffery, someone Marshall mentored.  Gailey loves big WRs, and he'd fit in well, allowing Decker to be in the slot.  I think if Treadwell falls, he could be a steal similar to a Dez Bryant type.

I love Treadwell, but that would be a bit of a wasted pick for 2016. Marshall and Decker gets tons of balls thrown their way. The front office clearly likes Devin Smith and would hope he takes the next step. Enunwa has developed into a player and Jace Amaro will be back. Not to mention  any FA tight end we decide to bring in. Treadwell would struggle to get looks in the offense unless Marshall/Decker get hurt.

If this turns into a Leonard Williams situation and he falls to us despite being graded out as a top 10 player, then sure, but if it's a close call  you need to take a player that can step in and help out day 1 IMO>

although there are some exceptions

1st round picks are for instant starters

2nd round picks are for projects

I'd characterize a player with this level of knee blow out to be a project. and while I like this player I don't like the Jets getting nothing out of their first round pick in 2016. Especially when they only have 6 picks. 

OTOH, the first round pick gets you the extra option year.  If you consider the guy between a late 1st/early 2nd, better to get the extra year.  Also, if he doesn't play, or plays limited games, does he accrue a "year of service"?  You may lock him up longer if you believe he is a real player.

I love Treadwell, but that would be a bit of a wasted pick for 2016. Marshall and Decker gets tons of balls thrown their way. The front office clearly likes Devin Smith and would hope he takes the next step. Enunwa has developed into a player and Jace Amaro will be back. Not to mention  any FA tight end we decide to bring in. Treadwell would struggle to get looks in the offense unless Marshall/Decker get hurt.
If this turns into a Leonard Williams situation and he falls to us despite being graded out as a top 10 player, then sure, but if it's a close call  you need to take a player that can step in and help out day 1 IMO>

I know it wouldn't be a popular choice but I would have no problem if we picked Treadwell if he fell to us. I know we have other needs but BM isn't actually a young WR 31 years old and has talked about retirement. Not saying it's a position of immediate need but if he can be a number 1 WR it would be nice to have a young #1 who would be around for some time.  I voted for spence but would be happy with Elliot also. 

I know it wouldn't be a popular choice but I would have no problem if we picked Treadwell if he fell to us. I know we have other needs but BM isn't actually a young WR 31 years old and has talked about retirement. Not saying it's a position of immediate need but if he can be a number 1 WR it would be nice to have a young #1 who would be around for some time.  I voted for spence but would be happy with Elliot also. 

I voted before seeing Spence in the Senior Bowl and he really convinced me that he is special, however, I would still take Elilot because we cannot have Sheldon and Spence partying together. It's bad enough we have to be on edge wondering when Sheldon will do something stupid again, we don't need to add Spence and his history of drug issues. 

Floyd's speed, versatility and ability to drop in coverage will probably make him a top 15 pick. He has long arms, and knows how to use them. Main knock on him is his weight, he needs an extra 15-20 lbs and if he's able to maintain his speed and versatility with the extra weight, I think he'll be a stud. I don't think he'll be available at 20 though. Spence is interesting because of his history, but there's no doubt that he is also a top 15 player. 

If Maccagnan is the guy we're hoping he is, I doubt Elliot would be an option in the first round. He'll likely go after a RB in the mid-rounds. Also not going to pretend I know anything about Treadwell, I doubt we pick a WR in the first though. 

Lynch is interesting, there is a realistic chance he falls to us, and Mac has said he follows the quote "draft one until you find one". If he falls to us I think it's very possible we take him. As for him as a player, I love his velocity (takes a bit too long to wind up), but it seems he suffers from kaepernick syndrome - sometimes can't reach receivers 5 yards down field, yet can reach the guy 70 yards down field. The dude is massive, say hello to those brady-esque QB sneaks. Lynch can run, he can throw on the run, and he has pretty good footwork - his first instinct is not to run. Short passes - that whole Memphis offense seems to be screen passes and short out/curl routes. Hard to watch and hard to get a good feel for the rest of his game. He can absolutely throw the long ball but it would be nice to see more examples of his medium length passes. He seems to be able to connect on the occasions he is asked to do so. Doesn't seem to have trouble connecting outside the numbers either. Like I said, he does not lack arm strength, but his accuracy and decision making can be a tad bit reckless sometimes. Overall - Probably worth a mid 1st round pick. Likely not a year 1 starter, but assuming we resign fitz, that situation is ideal for us. He doesn't come from a pro-style system so there will be a learning curve. I'd support the pick assuming Wentz/Goff is not there. 

Archived