D'Brickashaw Ferguson: What Is Jets Succession Plan?

jetfuel

An article I wrote for nyjetsnews.com on the Jets LT situation going forward.

The sentimental side of me finds it hard to imagine life without D’Brickashaw Ferguson lining up at the left tackle position for the New York Jets, but the realist within can see that it is time to start looking towards the future at that critical spot on the offensive line. Ferguson has had an incredibly successful career protecting the blind side for NY Jets quarterbacks since being selected in the first round of the 2006 NFL Draft, but he is not getting any younger as he is due to reach the age of 33 during the 2016 season. It is also no secret to anyone who has been watching the team over the years, that his game is not what it once was, which is natural for anyone going into their 11th season in the league.

Chosen with the 4th selection of the draft in 2006, Ferguson, who grew up about 5 miles away from the Jets training facility at Hofstra University, has been a model citizen and Pro Bowl level left tackle with the team for the past decade. For all of the problems the New York Jets have had across the offensive line over that time, D’Brickashaw and fellow 2006 first-rounder Nick Mangold have provided consistent quality at their respective positions throughout.

Although he is still a premier left tackle, D’Brickashaw has clearly fallen prey to Father Time, as he is no longer the dominant force he once was in pass protection. For those of you who subscribe to the Pro Football Focus rankings, which I am not personally sold on, Ferguson was ranked 62nd out of 76 OT’s in 2016. Despite the fact that I do not put a ton of stock into that system, it is rather telling that he would end up that far towards the bottom of their scale. Even disregarding those numbers, it does not take a rocket scientist to see that he has lost a step by simply watching him play.

Due to count $14.1 million against the 2016 salary cap, the Jets will surely look into getting him to restructure his contract in order to provide some breathing room in free agency. That is easier said than done, particularly with an aging player who knows he has already received his biggest payday. If they cannot get him to re-work his deal, the only other money saving option with D’Brick would be to cut him, which is not even remotely a good idea without an heir apparent in place. It would also result in anywhere between $3.732 and $5.014 million of dead cap space depending on when they cut him (according to overthecap.com).

Currently on the roster at the OT position is Brent Qvale, who has impressed the coaching staff, but projects as more of a RG or RT. They also have Sean Hickey and Jesse Davis who are both quite raw and need a lot of seasoning. With no viable option ready to replace Ferguson on the team as of now, it would make sense for the Jets to explore the free agent market to find someone to mold into his all-important role. There are a number of interesting names if the Jets were looking to either replace Ferguson immediately or cut Giacomini and have the free agent play RT until D’Brickashaw hangs them up. Cutting Breno after June 1st would save the team $5 million in cap space, while resulting in $625,000 in dead money (according to overthecap.com), which would not be much of a hindrance.

So, who is available at LT in this year’s free agent market that is under the age of 30? Topping the list would be Buffalo’s Cordy Glenn, Seattle’s Russell Okung and Pittsburgh’s Kelvin Beachum. The problem with them is that will all likely be out of the Jets price range. Glenn is looking at an astronomical payday and the other two have major injury concerns on top of their expected lofty price tags, with Okung having an extensive history of injuries and Beachum coming off a torn ACL that he suffered in mid-October of last season. I really do not see any of those three as being realistic options for the Jets.

Next up on the board would have to be the San Diego Chargers’ Chris Hairston, who will be 27 at the start of the 2016 season. After being drafted out of Clemson in the 4th round of the 2011 draft by the Buffalo Bills, Hairston started a total of 15 games in his first two seasons. He has been plagued by injuries throughout his short career, although he started 11 games for San Diego last season, filling in for the injured King Dunlap. He certainly has the potential to be a solid starter if he can stay on the field, and he should be within the NY Jets price range, but he is definitely not without his question marks.

Donald Stephenson, who served as a backup swing tackle for Kansas City in 2015 and started 7 games between the two tackle spots, has started a total of 21 games during his four-year career, since being chosen by the Chiefs in the 3rd round of the 2012 draft out of Oklahoma. Although he shows some potential as a starter in the league, he also comes with baggage as he was suspended for four games in 2014 due to a violation of league rules for performance enhancing drugs. Being that the incident was two years ago, the Jets might be able to overlook it and bring in a guy who can immediately compete for the RT spot and possibly move to the left side when Ferguson moves on.

Regardless of the free agent market, which seems to be rather thin at LT as far as what the Jets can afford, it is always preferable to find talent in the draft and have control over their development from the start of their career. With pressing needs at multiple positions, it is unlikely that Gang Green will select a LT in the first round of the draft. Even if they did decide to go that way, it would be a miracle if Laremy Tunsil of Ole Miss or Notre Dame’s Ronnie Stanley were available when the Jets step up to the plate.

If the Jets do choose to go all-in at left tackle when the draft arrives, Jack Conklin of Michigan State could realistically slide to the 20th pick in the first round. As a junior for the Spartans in 2015, Conklin started 12 games at left tackle, earning First Team All-Big Ten and All-America honors along the way. At 6’6, 325 pounds, he is a formidable physical specimen who possesses tremendous balance when locked up with defenders. Conklin also has exceptional instincts when it comes to picking up stray defenders as well as the leg drive to hold up against rushers in pass protection and utilizes the sheer strength of his upper body to clear holes in the running game. With experience at both tackle spots, it is a possibility that the Jets would play him at RT with a possible shift to the other side when the time comes.

There are also some options that should be around in the middle rounds, such as John Haeg of North Dakota State. Incredibly mobile for a 6’6, 300-pound lineman, Haeg has excellent footwork, remarkable reaction time and the ability to block well in space. He guards the perimeter well, warding off pass rushers, and has the athleticism and instincts to get to the second level with authority in the run game. He would certainly benefit from an NFL strength-training program to increase his lower body strength and can use some work on his hand technique as he too often waits too long to engage blockers. However, he possesses the tools needed to succeed on the next level with the proper guidance.

No matter what the Jets decide to do in free agency and the draft at the position, there is no denying that now is the time to start to plan. A day will come, not too long from now, when D’Brickashaw will be calling it a career and the New York Jets need to be ready for that eventuality. The good part is that Ferguson still has a good year or two left in him, so the transition does not have to happen overnight.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

This is a great effort. Whatever the Jets do, I just hope they are drafting the best player. Not reaching for need. If the Leonard WIlliams draft pick tells us anything, it's that the front office will have no obvious holes going into the draft. 

Thanks man, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I was definitely happy that they were able to get Williams for the D-Line last year, especially considering the Wilkerson and Harrison situations as well as Richardson going forward. At the same time, you can see that taking the BPA can have an effect on filling positions of need with the right pieces.

I think one of D'Brick and Mangold are gone, just not sure who. D'Brick has definitely been the lesser player, and Mangold's been the quieter veteran during another turning over the the culture.

I say get creative next year and take a risk, D'Brick hasn't been good enough to take a cap hit that big or to spread it out over multiple years. If they can get someone like Osemele for $9 million a year, they should find a way to make it happen.

17 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

I think one of D'Brick and Mangold are gone, just not sure who. D'Brick has definitely been the lesser player, and Mangold's been the quieter veteran during another turning over the the culture.

I say get creative next year and take a risk, D'Brick hasn't been good enough to take a cap hit that big or to spread it out over multiple years. If they can get someone like Osemele for $9 million a year, they should find a way to make it happen.

Giacomini is definitely gone, so I don't see them replacing two OTs in one season. I don't see Mangold leaving as he's still the best O-Lineman. I bet they're both back with some money moved around.

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Giacomini is definitely gone, so I don't see them replacing two OTs in one season. I don't see Mangold leaving as he's still the best O-Lineman. I bet their both back with some money moved around.

Hard to say. The thing is Giacomini is cuttable whenever they feel like it with no additional dead cap accruing. Ferguson kind of has to be cut (or pay cut) right away before he collects new bonus money in 2016. 

Also while it is not the most common thing to do, they could find a veteran replacement for one (FA or trade) and use a draft pick for the other. Going that route it would be easier to replace Ferguson first. Unloading him clears up far more space than Giacomini, and the team could hold onto Breno until after they find said rookie replacement. They could wait further until the rookie has shown something - anything - in practice first and then cut Breno. 

A lot more flexibility dumping Ferguson first. Admittedly it is a bit nerve-racking  to cut the team's only LT before his replacement is on the roster. But he's a below average LT now anyway. Some were also up in arms getting rid of Faneca and the guy had one more crappy year for Arizona before he decided to hang up his cleats. And that was worse because he had like $6M guaranteed money from the Jets whether kept or cut. Ferguson is in no similar situation. He's just a lead weight on our salary cap.

26 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Giacomini is definitely gone, so I don't see them replacing two OTs in one season. I don't see Mangold leaving as he's still the best O-Lineman. I bet they're both back with some money moved around.

If they can get Osemele and Schwartz for a combined $14-15 million, that would be convenient. D'Brick, Mangold, and Giacomini combined are $25+ million against the cap so getting a young group together works best.

The guys they should restructure: Mangold, Revis, Skrine, and Marshall. 

Pretty much agree.

You want to watch the Jets offense regress, lose your LT without a replacement.  He's not even that overpaid at this point (he is).  It's not the cap number, it's his base salary, the old stuff from his past bonuses are there no matter what.

Just now, chirorob said:

Pretty much agree.

You want to watch the Jets offense regress, lose your LT without a replacement.  He's not even that overpaid at this point (he is).  It's not the cap number, it's his base salary, the old stuff from his past bonuses are there no matter what.

Nope. At $9M he is very overpaid, and part of that past bonus was meant to be a partial payment for this season. Even still, there isn't a team in the league that would pay him $9M just for the 2016 season after the past 3 seasons he's put up. If there was, then we should have no trouble finding a trade partner. But I sense that is impossible, which is why if he isn't here in 2016 it'll be because we released him.

At this point he's just a name. There are probably no fewer than 2 dozen better LTs than Ferguson right now, and some of them were backups thrust into the starting role after an even better one was injured.

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Osemele is an All Pro left guard but only a decent left tackle. Someone will pay him big money to play guard.   even with their injuries, Beachum and Okung are better LTs. 

D'Brick's not even a decent LT anymore, unfortunately. The bar isn't exactly high right now. Osemele is bigger, younger, healthier, etc etc than all those guys.

15 minutes ago, BroadwayJets said:

Agreed. We see it around the league all the time, especially on the offensive line. Let's pray it works out.

Then again, you don't know how deep the LT depth is if the starter never steps off the field. Ferguson's best attribute also stops such players from stepping up. There isn't a coach in the league that would risk his own job to give a young/street guy a start or two over an established veteran like Ferguson. Not saying we have such a player, because odds are we don't, but even if we did no fans would know about it. The current and past coach didn't/don't exactly run meritocracies. 

22 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

D'Brick's not even a decent LT anymore, unfortunately. The bar isn't exactly high right now. Osemele is bigger, younger, healthier, etc etc than all those guys.

He's neither bigger (taller) nor healthier than Brick. And he's a guard. The Jets already have a left guard his name is James Carpenter. Maybe he can play LT too.

And he's a guard.

You literally just called Osemele a decent LT, just in your previous post. 

The FA T group is deep, as is the draft. FA Ts alone, in no order:

Okung

Penn

Osemele

Smith

Schwartz

Massie

Beachum

Barksdale

Glenn

Stephenson

All at various prices more tenable than going with a $14.8 million cap hit for D'Brick or extend him for more decline years by restruring. 

16 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

You literally just called Osemele a decent LT, just in your previous post. 

The FA T group is deep, as is the draft. FA Ts alone, in no order:

Okung

Penn

Osemele

Smith

Schwartz

Massie

Beachum

Barksdale

Glenn

Stephenson

All at various prices more tenable than going with a $14.8 million cap hit for D'Brick or extend him for more decline years by restruring. 

Osemele is a guard who will be paid top dollar to be a guard. On that list several of those guys are RT and others aren't making it to free agency. Heck Osemele might not make it to FA either.  It's debatable if the Raiders will let Penn go too. 

The real LT list is more like

Glenn

Okung

Beachum 

Bushrod 

and maybe Stephenson. 

the rest of that list lacks the footspeed for the position. 

Osemele is a guard who will be paid top dollar to be a guard. On that list several of those guys are RT and others aren't making it to free agency. Heck Osemele might not make it to FA either.  It's debatable if the Raiders will let Penn go too. 

The real LT list is more like

Glenn

Okung

Beachum 

Bushrod 

and maybe Stephenson. 

the rest of that list lacks the footspeed for the position. 

It took you all of one post to change positions on this player. Glenn wasn't even considered a slam dunk LT when drafted, it's not this super special unique position anymore because pass rushes comes from everywhere.

What's more practical and cost effective - getting 5 guys who can protect the passer and open up rushing holes, or going out and buying a specific skillset for each position?

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

If they can get Osemele and Schwartz for a combined $14-15 million, that would be convenient. D'Brick, Mangold, and Giacomini combined are $25+ million against the cap so getting a young group together works best.

The guys they should restructure: Mangold, Revis, Skrine, and Marshall. 

You do have to figure in between $3-5 million in dead money if you cut D'Brick, but it is feasible. I find it hard to believe you can get Revis to give back money & asking Marshall to take a pay cut on an old contract (that is below that of someone with his numbers) after a career year is real iffy. Mangold is a possibility to re-work ... at least I think. And Skrine just signed last year so I don't see that happening. I agree with your thinking ... just don't see it happening.

Just now, jetfuel said:

You do have to figure in between $3-5 million in dead money if you cut D'Brick, but it is feasible. I find it hard to believe you can get Revis to give back money & asking Marshall to take a pay cut on an old contract (that is below that of someone with his numbers) after a career year is real iffy. Mangold is a possibility to re-work ... at least I think. And Skrine just signed last year so I don't see that happening. I agree with your thinking ... just don't see it happening.

Done and done with a Mangold restructure.

Revis and Marshall aren't giving back money or taking pay cuts, they're essentially guaranteeing themselves more years on the roster for the money they signed for. Mangold and Marshall are perfect candidates - they could be cut without any dead money but are the kind of players a good team in 2016-2017 or 2017-2018 could use. You restructure the good players because there's nothing wrong with keeping around good players. D'Brick, unfortunately, seemed past that point for 2-3 years now.

3 hours ago, jetfuel said:

An article I wrote for nyjetsnews.com on the Jets LT situation going forward.

The sentimental side of me finds it hard to imagine life without D’Brickashaw Ferguson lining up at the left tackle position for the New York Jets, but the realist within can see that it is time to start looking towards the future at that critical spot on the offensive line. Ferguson has had an incredibly successful career protecting the blind side for NY Jets quarterbacks since being selected in the first round of the 2006 NFL Draft, but he is not getting any younger as he is due to reach the age of 33 during the 2016 season. It is also no secret to anyone who has been watching the team over the years, that his game is not what it once was, which is natural for anyone going into their 11th season in the league.

Chosen with the 4th selection of the draft in 2006, Ferguson, who grew up about 5 miles away from the Jets training facility at Hofstra University, has been a model citizen and Pro Bowl level left tackle with the team for the past decade. For all of the problems the New York Jets have had across the offensive line over that time, D’Brickashaw and fellow 2006 first-rounder Nick Mangold have provided consistent quality at their respective positions throughout.

Although he is still a premier left tackle, D’Brickashaw has clearly fallen prey to Father Time, as he is no longer the dominant force he once was in pass protection. For those of you who subscribe to the Pro Football Focus rankings, which I am not personally sold on, Ferguson was ranked 62nd out of 76 OT’s in 2016. Despite the fact that I do not put a ton of stock into that system, it is rather telling that he would end up that far towards the bottom of their scale. Even disregarding those numbers, it does not take a rocket scientist to see that he has lost a step by simply watching him play.

Due to count $14.1 million against the 2016 salary cap, the Jets will surely look into getting him to restructure his contract in order to provide some breathing room in free agency. That is easier said than done, particularly with an aging player who knows he has already received his biggest payday. If they cannot get him to re-work his deal, the only other money saving option with D’Brick would be to cut him, which is not even remotely a good idea without an heir apparent in place. It would also result in anywhere between $3.732 and $5.014 million of dead cap space depending on when they cut him (according to overthecap.com).

Currently on the roster at the OT position is Brent Qvale, who has impressed the coaching staff, but projects as more of a RG or RT. They also have Sean Hickey and Jesse Davis who are both quite raw and need a lot of seasoning. With no viable option ready to replace Ferguson on the team as of now, it would make sense for the Jets to explore the free agent market to find someone to mold into his all-important role. There are a number of interesting names if the Jets were looking to either replace Ferguson immediately or cut Giacomini and have the free agent play RT until D’Brickashaw hangs them up. Cutting Breno after June 1st would save the team $5 million in cap space, while resulting in $625,000 in dead money (according to overthecap.com), which would not be much of a hindrance.

So, who is available at LT in this year’s free agent market that is under the age of 30? Topping the list would be Buffalo’s Cordy Glenn, Seattle’s Russell Okung and Pittsburgh’s Kelvin Beachum. The problem with them is that will all likely be out of the Jets price range. Glenn is looking at an astronomical payday and the other two have major injury concerns on top of their expected lofty price tags, with Okung having an extensive history of injuries and Beachum coming off a torn ACL that he suffered in mid-October of last season. I really do not see any of those three as being realistic options for the Jets.

Next up on the board would have to be the San Diego Chargers’ Chris Hairston, who will be 27 at the start of the 2016 season. After being drafted out of Clemson in the 4th round of the 2011 draft by the Buffalo Bills, Hairston started a total of 15 games in his first two seasons. He has been plagued by injuries throughout his short career, although he started 11 games for San Diego last season, filling in for the injured King Dunlap. He certainly has the potential to be a solid starter if he can stay on the field, and he should be within the NY Jets price range, but he is definitely not without his question marks.

Donald Stephenson, who served as a backup swing tackle for Kansas City in 2015 and started 7 games between the two tackle spots, has started a total of 21 games during his four-year career, since being chosen by the Chiefs in the 3rd round of the 2012 draft out of Oklahoma. Although he shows some potential as a starter in the league, he also comes with baggage as he was suspended for four games in 2014 due to a violation of league rules for performance enhancing drugs. Being that the incident was two years ago, the Jets might be able to overlook it and bring in a guy who can immediately compete for the RT spot and possibly move to the left side when Ferguson moves on.

Regardless of the free agent market, which seems to be rather thin at LT as far as what the Jets can afford, it is always preferable to find talent in the draft and have control over their development from the start of their career. With pressing needs at multiple positions, it is unlikely that Gang Green will select a LT in the first round of the draft. Even if they did decide to go that way, it would be a miracle if Laremy Tunsil of Ole Miss or Notre Dame’s Ronnie Stanley were available when the Jets step up to the plate.

If the Jets do choose to go all-in at left tackle when the draft arrives, Jack Conklin of Michigan State could realistically slide to the 20th pick in the first round. As a junior for the Spartans in 2015, Conklin started 12 games at left tackle, earning First Team All-Big Ten and All-America honors along the way. At 6’6, 325 pounds, he is a formidable physical specimen who possesses tremendous balance when locked up with defenders. Conklin also has exceptional instincts when it comes to picking up stray defenders as well as the leg drive to hold up against rushers in pass protection and utilizes the sheer strength of his upper body to clear holes in the running game. With experience at both tackle spots, it is a possibility that the Jets would play him at RT with a possible shift to the other side when the time comes.

There are also some options that should be around in the middle rounds, such as John Haeg of North Dakota State. Incredibly mobile for a 6’6, 300-pound lineman, Haeg has excellent footwork, remarkable reaction time and the ability to block well in space. He guards the perimeter well, warding off pass rushers, and has the athleticism and instincts to get to the second level with authority in the run game. He would certainly benefit from an NFL strength-training program to increase his lower body strength and can use some work on his hand technique as he too often waits too long to engage blockers. However, he possesses the tools needed to succeed on the next level with the proper guidance.

No matter what the Jets decide to do in free agency and the draft at the position, there is no denying that now is the time to start to plan. A day will come, not too long from now, when D’Brickashaw will be calling it a career and the New York Jets need to be ready for that eventuality. The good part is that Ferguson still has a good year or two left in him, so the transition does not have to happen overnight.

This is a very nice article, but I sense a bit of cowardice in it . It reeks of someone who has a decent relationship with the player and don't want to offend while realizing for themselves that the player is no longer worth having on the team.  How can one say that the player is still a premier LT than criticize his cap figure or even restructuring and extending his contract.

In the interest of full disclosure, let it be known that I was never a fan of this draft pick . I wanted Jay Cutler . That said, Ferguson has been a solid Jet and will be missed . He needs to be missed thou because this team will never go forward holding onto the past

And Ferguson should be the Past.

50 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Then again, you don't know how deep the LT depth is if the starter never steps off the field. Ferguson's best attribute also stops such players from stepping up. There isn't a coach in the league that would risk his own job to give a young/street guy a start or two over an established veteran like Ferguson. Not saying we have such a player, because odds are we don't, but even if we did no fans would know about it. The current and past coach didn't/don't exactly run meritocracies. 

Couldn't agree more.

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

This is a great effort. Whatever the Jets do, I just hope they are drafting the best player. Not reaching for need. If the Leonard WIlliams draft pick tells us anything, it's that the front office will have no obvious holes going into the draft. 

Having a body at a position doesn't mean that you don't have a hole. Does anyone think that the vast majority of those future contracts will be a part of the final roster ?

1 minute ago, Tinstar said:

Having a body at a position doesn't mean that you don't have a hole. Does anyone think that the vast majority of those future contracts will be a part of the final roster ?

I think his point is that theyre not going into the draft looking to fill holes because they're taking the best player available.

8 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

In the interest of full disclosure, let it be known that I was never a fan of this draft pick . I wanted Jay Cutler . That said, Ferguson has been a solid Jet and will be missed . He needs to be missed thou because this team will never go forward holding onto the past

I have to admit, I wanted Cutler too.  Thank god we dont run the team.

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I have to admit, I wanted Cutler too.  Thank god we dont run the team.

Cutler was a good QB who never got coached up .  In Denver he had a horrible defense .  He hasn't had much of anything else since then  until last year  . 

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

Done and done with a Mangold restructure.

Revis and Marshall aren't giving back money or taking pay cuts, they're essentially guaranteeing themselves more years on the roster for the money they signed for. Mangold and Marshall are perfect candidates - they could be cut without any dead money but are the kind of players a good team in 2016-2017 or 2017-2018 could use. You restructure the good players because there's nothing wrong with keeping around good players. D'Brick, unfortunately, seemed past that point for 2-3 years now.

Cutting Mangold or Marshall would be completely insane. Restructuring could be done, although I'm not sure that you want to extend Mangold too long at this point in his career or even Marshall for that matter, but I'd be more willing to work something out with him as he at least physically has more years left in him. Ferguson is not the player he once was, but I feel that he is better than people give him credit for and has not missed a game in 10 years, which is ridiculous for an offensive lineman. How many times did Fitzpatrick get sacked from his blind side this year? I always thought Brick was a tad overrated and now I feel that he is underrated to an extent. I get wanting to move on and get younger at the spot for sure. I just think it has to be done the right way, with a replacement ready to go or by grooming someone to take over in 2017. I do think they need to move on, but only after they bring in a damn good replacement. Just my opinion.

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

This is a very nice article, but I sense a bit of cowardice in it . It reeks of someone who has a decent relationship with the player and don't want to offend while realizing for themselves that the player is no longer worth having on the team.  How can one say that the player is still a premier LT than criticize his cap figure or even restructuring and extending his contract.

Thanks, I guess ;) I don't get the the cowardice, but you are entitled to your opinion. You think he is garbage at this point and I think he still serves a purpose until they can find a capable replacement. It's okay to disagree on that and I'm fine with that. Just because I feel he is still one of the better LT's in the league doesn't mean that at the age of 32, on a team with limited cap space, that I wouldn't want him to restructure a $14.1 million dollar cap figure to provide room to improve the team. I do feel that is a bit much for a 32 year old LT, no matter how valuable he is to the team. 

Archived