My Negative Hat

varjet

Is it a good thing to be entering the offseason:

1. Without your starting QB under contract
  2. With no real RB under contract
  3. With your 2 starting tackles basically barely functional
  4. With no real TE under contract
  5. Having to put the Franchise Tag on your best defensive player?
  6. With only one starting LB under contract (and he is getting to the end of the line)

I know NFL teams have to remake themselves every year, but this seems like alot.

44 minutes ago, varjet said:

6. With only one starting LB under contract (and he is getting to the end of the line)

I know NFL teams have to remake themselves every year, but this seems like alot.

You forgot one of the oldest teams in the NFL. We need to rebuild. Wholesale changes to the lineup. If we try to retool and trot Fitz out there again it will be a train wreck of a season.

It's fine because:

1. QB being under contract is almost a foregone conclusion, he'll be back.

2. RB's are replaceable...through FA or the draft they'll find somebody to fill that hole and I'd be surprise if Powell isn't back.

3. Breno needs to go and Brick is declining rapidly, but I think "barely functional" is a bit harsh.  I honestly think Breno will be replaced at RT.

4. They were fine w/o a TE last season and between Amaro/Enunwa/Smith, somebody will help take the heat off of Fitz.  Also don't know what Wes Saxton showed on the PS last season.  

5. That's what the franchise tag is for.

6. Mauldin is ready to step in and start, Harris will be fine for another season and Erin Henderson will probably be back, solid vet.  Likely see them take another OLB in rd 1 or 2.

Not that bad, really.

34 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Jets have an idea of what they want to do at QB next season. That hasn't been the case in 40 years. Give or take a few.

Brick isn't "barely functional.

Amaro is under contract.

Harris has more than one year left.

1 hour ago, varjet said:

Yes, because we have a competent a GM who will make well thought out moves and address these issues ay the appropriate time.

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

You forgot one of the oldest teams in the NFL. We need to rebuild. Wholesale changes to the lineup. If we try to retool and trot Fitz out there again it will be a train wreck of a season.

Whether they decide to call it rebuilding or retooling, they have the same amount of resources available. Same amount of room under the cap, same number of draft picks. The coach and GM have both acknowledged that the team needs to get both younger and faster, I'd expect them to work in that direction. 

Who are you trotting out at QB for the Jets next year to avoid the train wreck? 

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

Yes, because we have a competent a GM who will make well thought out moves and address these issues ay the appropriate time.

THIS!

OP - is the person we have making these decisions strong?  As long as the answer is yes (which it is)  then you give him the benefit of the doubt 

2 hours ago, varjet said:

You keep saying "real" players. That's BS and you know it. Any player can be real with proper development. So 2 and 4 are eliminated.

5 doesnt really bother me. Teams do that all that time.

3 and 6 are for the draft and FA. And for that matter so is 1. 

So all or your concerns can't be addressed right now really.

To be a winning franchise in the NFL you need to have a solid foundation and you need to have some luck. Usually going 10-6 the year prior means at least some sort of positivity the upcoming season, no matter how the season ended.

But not for Jets fans. Name me another. season where they win 9-10 games, miss the playoffs, and then immediately fall apart the next year. The closest one I can think of is 1997. And what happened the next year?

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I thought that was supposed to happen if they trotted Fitz out there last year.  I guess if you just keep saying it....

58 minutes ago, slats said:

Whether they decide to call it rebuilding or retooling, they have the same amount of resources available. Same amount of room under the cap, same number of draft picks. The coach and GM have both acknowledged that the team needs to get both younger and faster, I'd expect them to work in that direction. 

Who are you trotting out at QB for the Jets next year to avoid the train wreck? 

I would like to see Petty, or a rookie draft pick play if he can handle the transition

17 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I would like to see Petty, or a rookie draft pick play if he can handle the transition

Unless they trade way up, there doesn't appear to be any rookie QBs ready to start an NFL game coming out. Petty was a major project coming out. If the staff doesn't feel he's ready, do you prefer to throw him into the fire anyway? Seems like the team screwed up their previous two QBs somewhat by starting them too soon. 

Dont understand your complete aversion to letting Fitz hold the fort. I'd rather have him in there while the team potentially breaks in a rookie OL and/or RB. Physically, yeah, he's leaves a lot to be desired, but mentally I think he's going to help everyone on the offense to play better. This is gonna be a tough year either way. Tough schedule, and I expect some real turnover on the roster. Fitz doesn't wow anybody (reasonable), but he brings a steady hand. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

Unless they trade way up, there doesn't appear to be any rookie QBs ready to start an NFL game coming out. Petty was a major project coming out. If the staff doesn't feel he's ready, do you prefer to throw him into the fire anyway? Seems like the team screwed up their previous two QBs somewhat by starting them too soon. 

Dont understand your complete aversion to letting Fitz hold the fort. I'd rather have him in there while the team potentially breaks in a rookie OL and/or RB. Physically, yeah, he's leaves a lot to be desired, but mentally I think he's going to help everyone on the offense to play better. This is gonna be a tough year either way. Tough schedule, and I expect some real turnover on the roster. Fitz doesn't wow anybody (reasonable), but he brings a steady hand. 

Well if Petty is not ready and we don't go up and get one, I would rather see Geno out there in a real offense, with real playmakers and a good coach. Playing Fitz accomplishes nothing in my view, and history has shown what happens when you put your eggs in the Fitz basket. I still stand by my assertion that playing Fitz was a mistake, as it actually sets us back farther at the QB position than we were last year.

4 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Well if Petty is not ready and we don't go up and get one, I would rather see Geno out there in a real offense, with real playmakers and a good coach. Playing Fitz accomplishes nothing in my view, and history has shown what happens when you put your eggs in the Fitz basket. I still stand by my assertion that playing Fitz was a mistake, as it actually sets us back farther at the QB position than we were last year.

This guy really gets it!!!!!!

5 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Bold view. 

I expect Geno to be with the team thru training camp. I guess anything can happen from there. I would be pretty content with Fitz opening the season as the starter, and Petty taking over at some point if the playoffs got out of reach. I think Geno is only in the mix to start if Fitz gets hurt. If then. 

4 hours ago, varjet said:

1. We're resigning Fitz and drafting a qb

2. So?  This is the new NFL the Seahawks and Niners literally picked up starting running backs who were effective off the street mid-season.

3. Breno is gone and we are signing an upgrade probably either Andre Smith or Joe Barksdale.

4. We still have Amaro on the roster. 

5. Snacks is the more important free agent.

6. We need to clean house at the LB position.  No more slow guys who can't cover and just fill gaps.

I trust Mac to take care of business.

2 hours ago, slats said:

Bold view. 

I expect Geno to be with the team thru training camp. I guess anything can happen from there. I would be pretty content with Fitz opening the season as the starter, and Petty taking over at some point if the playoffs got out of reach. I think Geno is only in the mix to start if Fitz gets hurt. If then. 

I think that in TC Geno will outplay him just like he was this year, But after a year of Fitz no one knows what he could do in this offense. I thought it was very interesting that Bowles said that the Jets are old because he clearly prefers starting veterans, including QB.

Thanks for the replies.  I said I was wearing my negative hat.

I think regardless of how you look at it the Jets were rolling the dice this season and have alot of open spots for a team that did as well as they did in 2015.  They were willing to take their chances rather than keep more players under contract.  I hope it works out.

At least according to PFF our tackles graded very low.  In watching them they appeared worse than they team actually performed statistically.  I think that was because of Gailey's well-planned offense, Fitz's good job getting rid of the ball.,and the WR's ability to get open on mid-range passes.  Breno was not good last season.  Brick did ok-he will need some type of reawakening to play in 2017 for what he is supposed to get paid.

4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

This guy really gets it!!!!!!

This is how you know you are really, really wrong!

10 hours ago, varjet said:

Lol. 

Nothing more. 

7 hours ago, johnnysd said:

And how will you know that Petty or this unknown rookie can handle the transition in this fantasy team your describing? 

8 hours ago, johnnysd said:

By playing him? MF it, let's just play Fitz the JAG for 5 more years and not even try to improve. 

What does that have to do with you wanting to start Petty or a rookie start?  

We've seen Fitz play.  But you don't want to play him, want to play a rookie who has never played NFL football over him.

Because, that's ensures the Jets will improve.

lol

Archived