Ryan Fitzpatrick, The Journeyman

j4jets

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

And who has said this?

You sound like a Trumpublican defending the dog whistle language of the more racist, bigoted right wingers.

"We didn't say that!"

No sir, but you sure meant it.

Lets be clear, when someone says "We don't need Fitz, we'll just play Petty" what they mean is "Geno starts" because Petty isn't ready.

When someone says "We'll just sign a FA instead" what they mean is "Geno starts" because the FA market is sh*t this offseason.

When someone says "We can't overpay for Fitz, nothing more than X mil/year" what they mean is "I'm not paying for a #1 QB, because I want Geno Smith to start" because NFL QB's cost money, and failure to sign one leaves us with Geno Smith starting.

When someone says "No Fitz, lets Draft a QB" what they mean is "Geno Starts" because there si no QB we're getting at our spot or with realistic trades that will be start-ready this year.

Save me the semantics:  any argument against resigning Fitz is, by definition, an argument for starting Geno Smith because starting Geno Smith is the only option available other than signing and starting Fitz.  Petty simply is not ready, and thats obvious by listening to staff, watching petty and knowing the transition he's making.  There are no FA's available worth thinking about at QB.  And no QB's to draft we can start in 2016.

So I don't need them to "say it".  It's clear as day what they want.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, AFJF said:

People don't like being wrong.  Fitz showed that glancing at a PFR career stat line doesn't mean you know a whole lot about a player or the game.  That ruffled feathers.  Anything short of a dominant SB win With Fitz winning the MVP was going to lead to nothing but "told ya so" statements, no matter what.

6 CS let him walk or reach the FA. I think those CS knew "a whole lot about the player or the game". You, on the other hand, saw his 31 passing TDs n got your panties wet. 

7 minutes ago, j4jets said:

6 CS let him walk or reach the FA. I think those CS knew "a whole lot about the player or the game". You, on the other hand, saw his 31 passing TDs n got your panties wet. 

I know that when I look for a team I can trust when evaluating quarterback play, the Bills, Titans, Rams, Bengals and Texans are at the top of my list.  Talk about teams that produce elite QB after elite QB.  Any chance you can interact with an ounce of class?

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You sound like a Trumpublican defending the dog whistle language of the more racist, bigoted right wingers.

"We didn't say that!"

Lets be clear, when someone says "We don't need Fitz, we'll just play Petty" what they mean is "Geno starts" because Petty isn't ready.

When someone says "We'll just sign a FA instead" what they mean is "Geno starts" because the FA market is sh*t this offseason.

When someone says "We can't overpay for Fitz, nothing more than X mil/year" what they mean is "I'm not paying for a #1 QB, because I want Geno Smith to start" because NFL QB's cost money, and failure to sign one leaves us with Geno Smith starting.

When someone says "No Fitz, lets Draft a QB" what they mean is "Geno Starts" because there si no QB we're getting at our spot or with realistic trades that will be start-ready this year.

Save me the semantics:  any argument against resigning Fitz is, by definition, an argument for starting Geno Smith because starting Geno Smith is the only option available other than signing and starting Fitz.  Petty simply is not ready, and thats obvious by listening to staff, watching petty and knowing the transition he's making.  There are no FA's available worth thinking about at QB.  And no QB's to draft we can start in 2016.

Not paying Fitz $15 mil, ok Hillary? If Geno is bad, Fitz was his backup. 

7 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I know that when I look for a team I can trust when evaluating quarterback play, the Bills, Titans and Texans are at the top of my list.  Talk about teams that produce elite QB after elite QB.  Any chance you can interact with an ounce of class?

Lol, I think those three teams you mentioned know a bad QB when they see one. Speaking of class, aren't you the one that was being sarcastic thinking you've found the cure for AIDS. 

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

"We didn't say that!"

Yeah just listen to the voices in your head there buddy, f outta here with that nonsense

Just now, j4jets said:

Lol, I think those three teams you mentioned know a bad QB when they see one. Speaking of class, aren't you the one that was being sarcastic thinking you've found the cure for AIDS. 

Yes they do, they've kept tons of them.

No, I didn't.

39 minutes ago, Warfish said:

"We didn't say that!"

So one more time, who said that Geno should start over Fitz.  If you wrote it you must have an idea

You sound like a lame left winger trying rely on fear of something you cant even back up. 

One more time, other than a few clowns, who is saying Geno should start?  Did you mean a few braindead, whiney fans or so called experts, GMs, personnel guys, etc?

You brought it up and then go on a rant because I asked who?  What style of posting is this exactly?

And dont bring your politics into this, its pointless and not allowed.  Trump? 

38 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Not paying Fitz $15 mil, ok Hillary? If Geno is bad, Fitz was his backup. 

What form of learning disability do you have that you have to say "IF" Geno was bad.

Geno was bad.  Horribly bad.  Worst in the NFL bad.

And you want to start him.

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So one more time, who said that Geno should start over Fitz.  If you wrote it you must have an idea

So you didn't even both to read it before you replied, eh?

So apart from those few who said, the others who didn't say it but mean it, and those too stupid to understand that Petty isn't starting and we're not trading for a legit #1 QB, who "said it"?

Christ Nut, you're vastly smarter than that.

Let me spell it out slower and clearer:  Every other supposed "option" is fantasy.  No Fitz = Geno Smith starting.  Period.

I'm not wedded to Fitz.  But I am a ZEALOT for not starting or playing Geno Smith in Jets green ever again.

40 minutes ago, Warfish said:

What form of learning disability do you have that you have to say "IF" Geno was bad.

And Fitz was his backup. 

11 minutes ago, j4jets said:

And Fitz was his backup. 

No, he wasn't.  And even if he was (at the very beginning), the relevance of that (a Vet FA brought in to compete with as established, but sh*tty, 2nd year) is nill.

That some serious scraping to find some way of supporting a "Start Geno" position, really.

12 hours ago, Warfish said:

No, he wasn't.  And even if he was (at the very beginning), the relevance of that (a Vet FA brought in to compete with as established, but sh*tty, 2nd year) is nill.

That some serious scraping to find some way of supporting a "Start Geno" position, really.

No but it is a fact. Fitz was a backup n even Chan said that throughout the off season until Geno got sucker punched. Then Fitzy started beating up sh*t teams n we didn't wanna change. Fitzy was sh*t when he didn't have a complete cast around him (missing Bilal Powell).  Yeah, that's how awesome he was. Geno didn't even have a #1 WR n he still had an amazing last quarter season with two WR-2s. But hey, 31 TD, franchise record n such! Let's give him $15 mil n release Mo, cuz obviously Fitzy is more important. 

14 hours ago, Warfish said:

Geno's entire WR corp in his first 2 years are basically out of the league. Judging a developing 2nd round QBs based on how he performs with Clyde Gates and David David Nelson (neither of which are in the NFL) is not good form. I know you like Fitz but Mac would be irresponsible at best and negligent at worst to sign Fitz on account of fanfare. The truth is that Fitz can't throw deep, is too slow with his progressions, has inconsistent ball placement and his field vision is poor. Geno on tape is actually better than Fitz. He can throw deep, can go through progressions and shows improving accuracy (past 10 yards even).

4 hours ago, elgoman said:

Geno's entire WR corp in his first 2 years are basically out of the league. Judging a developing 2nd round QBs based on how he performs with Clyde Gates and David David Nelson (neither of which are in the NFL) is not good form. I know you like Fitz but Mac would be irresponsible at best and negligent at worst to sign Fitz on account of fanfare. The truth is that Fitz can't throw deep, is too slow with his progressions, has inconsistent ball placement and his field vision is poor. Geno on tape is actually better than Fitz. He can throw deep, can go through progressions and shows improving accuracy (past 10 yards even).

The same excuses all bad QB's make:  It's my WR fault I can't hit the broad side of a barn, sustain drives, or not throw INT's.  Deflection at it's worst, Geno made those WR worse than they were.  Fitz made Decker and Marshall better.  

I like Fitz because Fitz is a professional, average, veteran QB who is capable of a 2-1 TD-INT ratio and winning a reasonable # of games with support.  Geno Smith is the worst QB I've seen play in a very long time, with the personality and passion of a wooden toy, and very a limited football-mind.  I want Fitz to fill the gap and keep us competitive till Petty (or another draft pick) is ready, IMO one more year, maybe two at most.

You're right, Mac would be a fool to sign Fitz because I or some other fan thinks he should.  That's not why he'll pay Fitz.  He'll pay Fitz (presuming Fitz doesn't go insane) because Fitz is by far the best real world option for 2016 ad 2017.  Fantasy football trade theories and the castoff de jour of the day are just that, fantasy.  We're not signing Kaep, RGIII or some other Geno-like castoff.  we're not trading for Cousins.  We're trading up to #1 to draft the BAP QB who will be redy day 1.  Fantasy, all of that.

Fitz cannot throw deep, thats true.  Smith is worse, he throws deep, and gets INT'ed.  Fitz's progressions are slower, aye, Geno's are worse and he rarely gets beyond his first read.  Fitz is certainly inconsistent at times, Geno is simply inaccurate, and worse, inaccurate in ways that feed the opposing D INT's.   Geno is immature, Fitz is mature.  Geno is wooden, Fitz is passionate and cares.  Geno is an INT machine, Fitz is average.  Geno can run, sure, but is easily hurt.  Fitz runs, and is apparently too dumb to slide, but he played with an injury that would have ended Geno's season, because Geno, frankly, is soft.  Fitz recovers from his errors, Geno (like Sanchez) mopes.

Geno is not better than Fitz on tape, and he certainly isn't better than him in the real world.  He's trash, dogsh*t, unrecoverable, stupid (in a football sense) and passionless.  He is, literally, the worst QB in the NFL as a starter.  This constant drumbeat to "give him a chance" is the same insanity we heard about Sanchez......after four years of Same Ol' Sanchez.  It's the same foolishness some fans spouted about Pennington......after his fourth shoulder injury.

Geno Smith has no future here.  He'll be lucky to be on the roster here come the regular season.  His fans here, who somehow think he's inches from redemption, should probably come to terms with that.  

Fitz, on the other hand, is no franchise QB and no long term answer.  He's an average NFL QB gap filler.  A likable guy who can win a few games and keep us from the laughing stock levels of the Geno/Rex years.  He'll frustrate with his limitations, and he needs support, but we'll win 8+ games a year and have a shot at the postseason with him.  He's also a mentor, a team-first guy, and has been and will be a good influence on Petty and whomever we (hopefully) draft this coming draft.

Fitz should only be starting one more year, 2016.  Petty should be ready (if he ever will be, and I think he will) by 2017.  And we will (IMO) draft another QB this year, and he might be ready by 2017 (depends on what system he ran in college and his potential, of course).  Average salary for average QB for 2-3 years doesn't hurt us with the cap, keeps us at worst average and competitive, gives us stability of system and play, and helps grow our future QB roster.  

Going back to Geno is no different than going back to Rex, or Sanchez.  It's backwards thinking, not forward thinking.  It's baseless fantasy fan hope, not actual facts.

If the Jets allow a TD record, 10 win QB to walk, and go back to a 3 win, INT machine, they will get exactly what they deserve.  

20 hours ago, Warfish said:

So you didn't even both to read it before you replied, eh?

So apart from those few who said, the others who didn't say it but mean it, and those too stupid to understand that Petty isn't starting and we're not trading for a legit #1 QB, who "said it"?

Christ Nut, you're vastly smarter than that.

Let me spell it out slower and clearer:  Every other supposed "option" is fantasy.  No Fitz = Geno Smith starting.  Period.

I'm not wedded to Fitz.  But I am a ZEALOT for not starting or playing Geno Smith in Jets green ever again.

If I missed your point, I'm not to stubborn to apologize.  Just didnt take it that way.

Too many have been screaming at the so called Geno camp that I just havent seen 

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

The same excuses all bad QB's make:  It's my WR fault I can't hit the broad side of a barn, sustain drives, or not throw INT's.  Deflection at it's worst, Geno made those WR worse than they were.  Fitz made Decker and Marshall better.  

I like Fitz because Fitz is a professional, average, veteran QB who is capable of a 2-1 TD-INT ratio and winning a reasonable # of games with support.  Geno Smith is the worst QB I've seen play in a very long time, with the personality and passion of a wooden toy, and very a limited football-mind.  I want Fitz to fill the gap and keep us competitive till Petty (or another draft pick) is ready, IMO one more year, maybe two at most.

You're right, Mac would be a fool to sign Fitz because I or some other fan thinks he should.  That's not why he'll pay Fitz.  He'll pay Fitz (presuming Fitz doesn't go insane) because Fitz is by far the best real world option for 2016 ad 2017.  Fantasy football trade theories and the castoff de jour of the day are just that, fantasy.  We're not signing Kaep, RGIII or some other Geno-like castoff.  we're not trading for Cousins.  We're trading up to #1 to draft the BAP QB who will be redy day 1.  Fantasy, all of that.

Fitz cannot throw deep, thats true.  Smith is worse, he throws deep, and gets INT'ed.  Fitz's progressions are slower, aye, Geno's are worse and he rarely gets beyond his first read.  Fitz is certainly inconsistent at times, Geno is simply inaccurate, and worse, inaccurate in ways that feed the opposing D INT's.   Geno is immature, Fitz is mature.  Geno is wooden, Fitz is passionate and cares.  Geno is an INT machine, Fitz is average.  Geno can run, sure, but is easily hurt.  Fitz runs, and is apparently too dumb to slide, but he played with an injury that would have ended Geno's season, because Geno, frankly, is soft.  Fitz recovers from his errors, Geno (like Sanchez) mopes.

Geno is not better than Fitz on tape, and he certainly isn't better than him in the real world.  He's trash, dogsh*t, unrecoverable, stupid (in a football sense) and passionless.  He is, literally, the worst QB in the NFL as a starter.  This constant drumbeat to "give him a chance" is the same insanity we heard about Sanchez......after four years of Same Ol' Sanchez.  It's the same foolishness some fans spouted about Pennington......after his fourth shoulder injury.

Geno Smith has no future here.  He'll be lucky to be on the roster here come the regular season.  His fans here, who somehow think he's inches from redemption, should probably come to terms with that.  

Fitz, on the other hand, is no franchise QB and no long term answer.  He's an average NFL QB gap filler.  A likable guy who can win a few games and keep us from the laughing stock levels of the Geno/Rex years.  He'll frustrate with his limitations, and he needs support, but we'll win 8+ games a year and have a shot at the postseason with him.  He's also a mentor, a team-first guy, and has been and will be a good influence on Petty and whomever we (hopefully) draft this coming draft.

Fitz should only be starting one more year, 2016.  Petty should be ready (if he ever will be, and I think he will) by 2017.  And we will (IMO) draft another QB this year, and he might be ready by 2017 (depends on what system he ran in college and his potential, of course).  Average salary for average QB for 2-3 years doesn't hurt us with the cap, keeps us at worst average and competitive, gives us stability of system and play, and helps grow our future QB roster.  

Going back to Geno is no different than going back to Rex, or Sanchez.  It's backwards thinking, not forward thinking.  It's baseless fantasy fan hope, not actual facts.

If the Jets allow a TD record, 10 win QB to walk, and go back to a 3 win, INT machine, they will get exactly what they deserve.  

TD ratio can often be a team oriented stat. As such, Fitz's 2:1 TD ratio here is just a function of Gailey's scheming receivers open and Marshall bailing Fitz out. Fitz is bad when it comes to advanced stats which measure how much he contributes to the team individually.  His Air Yards Per Attempt, which subtracts yards after catch, is one of the worst in the league. Alternatively, his personality is irrelevant. This is a football team, not a social club. If you like Fitz's personality, that's cool, but this isn't a reason to start him. Geno's personality is fine as it goes for QBs. If you don't like him, who cares? 

With respects to Geno and Fitz's play comparison, Geno threw the ball deep well against the Raiders and Fitz has the same interception problem. Fitz had one of the highest would-be interception rates in the NFL last year and has about the same career interception rate as Geno, so Fitz is actually worse than Geno in this regard too. The solution to interceptions is to mitigate them and score more points, which Geno has done in his last few games. In addition Geno is also more accurate than Fitz across the field. That's why Fitz dink and dunked to a lower completion percentage than Geno last year. Geno more durable too. He played 2 straight years without injury whereas Fitz sustains an injury about every year or so. Your assertions here just don't hold any weight. 

Fitz sucks and Mac should move on. Fitz's personality is irrelevant. This is a football team.

1 hour ago, elgoman said:

TD ratio can often be a team oriented stat. As such, Fitz's 2:1 TD ratio here is just a function of Gailey's scheming receivers open and Marshall bailing Fitz out. Fitz is bad when it comes to advanced stats which measure how much he contributes to the team individually.  His Air Yards Per Attempt, which subtracts yards after catch, is one of the worst in the league. Alternatively, his personality is irrelevant. This is a football team, not a social club. If you like Fitz's personality, that's cool, but this isn't a reason to start him. Geno's personality is fine as it goes for QBs. If you don't like him, who cares? 

With respects to Geno and Fitz's play comparison, Geno threw the ball deep well against the Raiders and Fitz has the same interception problem. Fitz had one of the highest would-be interception rates in the NFL last year and has about the same career interception rate as Geno, so Fitz is actually worse than Geno in this regard too. The solution to interceptions is to mitigate them and score more points, which Geno has done in his last few games. In addition Geno is also more accurate than Fitz across the field. That's why Fitz dink and dunked to a lower completion percentage than Geno last year. Geno more durable too. He played 2 straight years without injury whereas Fitz sustains an injury about every year or so. Your assertions here just don't hold any weight. 

Fitz sucks and Mac should move on. Fitz's personality is irrelevant. This is a football team.

When one lives in a fantasy world where Geno Smith, the worst QB in the league, pathetic moping mud-brained immature loser who inspired no one, INT machine, consistent disappointment, is good and worth starting, but the guy who just won 10 games, inspired his team and made them better, and threw a team-record 31TD's isn't, there really isn't much left to debate.  Clearly we agree to disagree.

If we didn't root for the same team, I'd wish you exactly what you want, yet another year of Geno Smith's epic failure and a 4 win season over by week 6.

But since (presumably) we're both Jets Fans, I can only hope Mac knows better than these "advanced stats" that show Geno Smith to be good and Fitz not even worth consideration.   

At least Smith gives former Sanchez "just needs a fair chance" obsessives another place to vent their obsession with excuse making and demands for "just a fair chance".

1 minute ago, Tinstar said:

It's so sad being a Jet fan on one of these boards.  Other team's fans are arguing about Rib eyes and we're arguing which dried out chicken bone should be our starting QB .

It is not rocket science, the team has to suck at the right time, the colts have it down perfect

On 3/3/2016 at 8:52 PM, j4jets said:

We claim Fitzy to be some sort of savior who set franchise records in a middle of the pack season statistically, and far below average when you consider the competition. You're not the next coming of Rich Gannon if you cant make the playoffs after being gift wrapped the easiest schedule in the league. There have been 4 teams in the last 4 seasons that either cut, traded, or let Fitz reach the FA. There's a reason why four different CS let him go.

2015 - Jets - Let him hit FA

2014 - Texans - Traded

2013 - Titans - Cut

2012 - Bills - Cut

Jets obviously don't see him as a 'savior' otherwise they would've bent over and handed him a blank check. We are not getting another cakewalk schedule next year. He was total sh*t in the last quarter of the season, the most important quarter of the entire season. He was garbage. The moment he didn't have Bilal Powell, Fitzy  became a different QB. He can't carry a team. Thats the exact definition of a game manager. He'll have a good game here n there, but he's not going to carry us. Thats the third tier QBs at best. He's nothing more than a Josh McCown caliber QB (2 years 10mil). I'd give him 2 years 12mil max with incentives to earn another maybe $4mil.

If you're a Geno hater, then just know that Fitzy was worse than him and thats a fact. He's total garbage. He's not taking us to the playoffs even if Brady is handed a 5 year suspension.

Two years at 10-mil would be a huge raise for him. I think he earned 3.2 mill this past season. I doubt he is going to be better this season and may be appreciably worse, but what better options are out there. Sam Bradford?,  RG III?  Maybe the Rams release Nick Foles but is he any good? I would bring Fitzy back and pray the Jets hit on a QB in the draft or that Bryce Petty can be the real deal.

28 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Two years at 10-mil would be a huge raise for him. I think he earned 3.2 mill this past season. I doubt he is going to be better this season and may be appreciably worse, but what better options are out there. Sam Bradford?,  RG III?  Maybe the Rams release Nick Foles but is he any good? I would bring Fitzy back and pray the Jets hit on a QB in the draft or that Bryce Petty can be the real deal.

Bradford signed a 2 year, $35 million deal with $22 million guaranteed.  And no, I am not on hallucinogenic drugs of any kind. Philly really did this.  

And we're complaining about possibly giving Fitz $12 million next season?  Sheesh... think about those depressed Eagles fans right now.  

17 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Bradford signed a 2 year, $35 million deal with $22 million guaranteed.  And no, I am not on hallucinogenic drugs of any kind. Philly really did this.  

And we're complaining about possibly giving Fitz $12 million next season?  Sheesh... think about those depressed Eagles fans right now.  

Philadelphia has never won a Super Bowl and our only Super Bowl victory was 47 years ago. 

2 hours ago, elgoman said:

Dude , this is hysterical

buy some glasses to help you see

3 hours ago, ljr said:

It's just that easy.  Let Fitz walk, cut Geno, cut Petty, sign three UDFA QB's, and just have Gailey "scheme the receivers open" so there's no real work to do.

3 hours ago, ljr said:

Fitzpatrick..., over the course of the year, accumulated an 88.0 passer rating, finishing as the 24th best passer in the league by that metric. He also completed 59.6 percent of his passes (29th in the league), averaged 6.9 yards per attempt (27th in the league), threw 31 touchdowns (tied for 10th in the league) and 15 interceptions (tied for the fifth-most in the league).

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25504263/film-study-why-ryan-fitzpatrick-is-not-the-jets-quarterback-cure

His highest rankings in those stats are completions to the other teams. I think we refer them as interceptions, maybe you refer to them as 'setting franchise records'.

33 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Fitzpatrick..., over the course of the year, accumulated an 88.0 passer rating, finishing as the 24th best passer in the league by that metric. He also completed 59.6 percent of his passes (29th in the league), averaged 6.9 yards per attempt (27th in the league), threw 31 touchdowns (tied for 10th in the league) and 15 interceptions (tied for the fifth-most in the league).

Lets compare.

Geno Smith won 11 games in 2013, 2014 & 2015 combined, compared to Fitz's 10 in 2015.

Geno Smith's QB ratings were 66 and 77 in 2013 and 2014, 20 and 10 points worse than Fitz respectively.  That's 37th and 29th in the league in those years.

Geno Smith completed 55.8% and 59.7% in 2013 and 2014.  That's 35th and 27th in the legaue in those years.

Geno Smiths YPA was 6.9 in both years.  The same as Fitz.

Geno Smith threw 12 TD's and 13 TD's in 2013 and 2014.  27 total in 2013, 2014 & 2015 combined.  4 less than Fitz in 2015.  And 28th and 25th in the league in those years. 

Geno Smith's INT% was 4.7% and 3.5%.  That's 2nd worst and 5th worst in the league in those years.  Fitz was 2.7%, good for 8th worst.

Geno Smith threw 21 and 13 INT's in 2013 & 2014.  Thats 4th worst and 12th worst.

Geno Smith fumbled 8 times and 8 times in 2013 and 2014.  That's 11th worst and 14th worst in those years.

Spin this horrific record as you like, "he just needs a fair chance" seems to be the Sanchez-esque line most prefer.

But there is no doubt, Geno Smith was one of, if not thee, worst QB's in the NFL in 2013 and 2014, and he stats, and our win/loss record, reflected that.

If this is really what people want to go back to.......I simply cannot understand why.  Going 4-10 in 2014 was as horrible and unpleasant a year as we've had in a while, and Smith was a primary culprit.  Going 10-6 with Fitz, disappointing as the end was, was a refreshing break from the past few years of pathetic futility.

If we need a year (or two, max) to transition to Petty or another young QB, who is better suited to steer the ship till Petty is ready?  A well-liked, inspirational, average (Stats wise) Veteran QB with a 2-1 TD to INT ratio, or a guy who all but led the league in total turnovers both years he played, inspires no one, is immature enough to lose his job (and his jaw) to a few hundred bucks because he lied, and a guy who loses games in droves?

If we're going to suck, if we're going to make the unusual choice of dumping a 10-win, 31 TD QB....it better damn well not be for Geno F'ing Smith.  Don't resign Fitz, if we think that's best, but if we start Geno, that's simply unforgivable levels of self-delusion and self-hatred by the Jets F.O.  

P.S. Brandon Marshall had his best season ever, production wise, with Fitz.  2nd in Yards (1502, his best was 1508) and 1st in TD's.

Eric Decker had his 2nd best season ever, production wise, with Fitz.  3rd in Yards (1027, best was 1266 with manning) and 2nd in TD's (12, best was 13, with Manning).  His best year he played most of 2 games more than he did this year.

Fitz made his WR's better.  Geno Smith never met a WR he couldn't make looks worse.

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Lets compare.

Geno Smith won 11 games in 2013, 2014 & 2015 combined, compared to Fitz's 10 in 2015.

Geno Smith's QB ratings were 66 and 77 in 2013 and 2014, 20 and 10 points worse than Fitz respectively.  That's 37th and 29th in the league in those years.

Geno Smith completed 55.8% and 59.7% in 2013 and 2014.  That's 35th and 27th in the legaue in those years.

Geno Smiths YPA was 6.9 in both years.  The same as Fitz.

Geno Smith threw 12 TD's and 13 TD's in 2013 and 2014.  27 total in 2013, 2014 & 2015 combined.  4 less than Fitz in 2015.  And 28th and 25th in the league in those years. 

Geno Smith's INT% was 4.7% and 3.5%.  That's 2nd worst and 5th worst in the league in those years.  Fitz was 2.7%, good for 8th worst.

Geno Smith threw 21 and 13 INT's in 2013 & 2014.  Thats 4th worst and 12th worst.

Geno Smith fumbled 8 times and 8 times in 2013 and 2014.  That's 11th worst and 14th worst in those years.

Spin this horrific record as you like, "he just needs a fair chance" seems to be the Sanchez-esque line most prefer.

But there is no doubt, Geno Smith was one of, if not thee, worst QB's in the NFL in 2013 and 2014, and he stats, and our win/loss record, reflected that.

If this is really what people want to go back to.......I simply cannot understand why.  Going 4-10 in 2014 was as horrible and unpleasant a year as we've had in a while, and Smith was a primary culprit.  Going 10-6 with Fitz, disappointing as the end was, was a refreshing break from the past few years of pathetic futility.

If we need a year (or two, max) to transition to Petty or another young QB, who is better suited to steer the ship till Petty is ready?  A well-liked, inspirational, average (Stats wise) Veteran QB with a 2-1 TD to INT ratio, or a guy who all but led the league in total turnovers both years he played, inspires no one, is immature enough to lose his job (and his jaw) to a few hundred bucks because he lied, and a guy who loses games in droves?

If we're going to suck, if we're going to make the unusual choice of dumping a 10-win, 31 TD QB....it better damn well not be for Geno F'ing Smith.  Don't resign Fitz, if we think that's best, but if we start Geno, that's simply unforgivable levels of self-delusion and self-hatred by the Jets F.O.  

Simple question if you can compare Geno Smith in 2013 and 2014 to Ryan Fitzpatrick in 2015.  How would Ryan Fitzpatrick have done in 2013 and 2014?  

2 minutes ago, hawk said:

Simple question if you can compare Geno Smith in 2013 and 2014 to Ryan Fitzpatrick in 2015.  How would Ryan Fitzpatrick have done in 2013 and 2014?  

Better than Geno Smith, of that I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever.

Let me guess, Geno just "needs a fair shot", right?  Just like Sanchez.  Amazing how we somehow never manage to give these gusy a "fair chance" despite starting them for 4 years, 2 years, etc, etc, etc....

Just now, Warfish said:

Better than Geno Smith, of that I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever.

Let me guess, Geno just "needs a fair shot", right?  Just like Sanchez.  Amazing how we somehow never manage to give these gusy a "fair chance" despite starting them for 4 years, 2 years, etc, etc, etc....

I can't stand Geno Smith.  I believe he has the tools to be an NFL QB, but not the mental or leadership capabilities.  I just don't think you can compare what he did as a rookie and sophmore, with the level of talent that he, and a completely different coaching staff.  I don't think it is a fair comparison, and don't believe it should be done.  

Your answer is better than Geno Smith, but it is impossible to know.  

Just now, Warfish said:

I disagree.  I think watching Geno play and watching Fitz play is all one really needs.  

I agree that is all you need, but that has nothing to do with statistics that don't equate to each situation.  

Archived