LaMaar Miller looking for $5m/yr. Yeah... good luck w/that

32EBoozer

Dolphins, Lamar Miller talking about the $5 million a year range

Miami Dolphins v Carolina PanthersGetty Images

With running back Lamar Miller slated to become a free agent on Wednesday, the Dolphins are trying to keep him.

The Miami Herald reports that the Dolphins arecontinuing to work on re-signing Miller, but he wants more than $5 million a season and the team would prefer he settle for $5 million or slightly less.

Only five running backs in the NFL have contracts that average more than $5 million a year: Adrian Peterson, Jamaal Charles, LeSean McCoy,DeMarco Murray and Jonathan Stewart. So Miller is looking for a deal that would put him among the half-dozen highest-paid running backs in the league.

Last year Miller started all 16 games and carried 194 times for 872 yards and eight touchdowns. He also had career-high numbers as a receiver, catching 47 passes for 397 yards and two touchdowns.

Miller comes in at No. 27 in our Free Agent Hot 100.

You've got $5m to spend on the RB position with 2 holes to fill.... what do you do??

The $4-5m RB Group: Doug Martin, Miller, 

The $3m RB group: Forte, Ivory, Bilal Powell,

The $2m RB Group: Bell, Reggie Bush, Starks,Jaquizz Rogers, Morris, Hillman,

The < $1m RB Group:Donald Brown, , Rainey, Boobie Dixon, Asiata, Chris Polk, Bernard Pierce, Tim Hightower, Turbin, Daniel Herron, Pierre Thomas, Kendall Hunter, Bryce Brown, Travaris Cadet, 

I personally sign Powell to a 3/yr. $10m contract(5m guaranteed) and sign Boobie Dixon to a 1 yr. $1m/deal and Draft a RB.

17 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

You've got $5m to spend on the RB position with 2 holes to fill.... what do you do??

The < $1m RB Group:Donald Brown, , Rainey, Boobie Dixon, Asiata, Chris Polk, Bernard Pierce, Tim Hightower, Turbin, Daniel Herron, Pierre Thomas, Kendall Hunter, Bryce Brown, Travaris Cadet, 

I personally sign Powell to a 3/yr. $10m contract(5m guaranteed) and sign Boobie Dixon to a 1 yr. $1m/deal and Draft a RB.

Teams with a lot of money will have RB very low on the importance scale. No Adrian Petersons in that group. They'll start spending on CBs, Oline, Dline, LBs before they even look at FA RBs. Money will dry up quickly there are a lot of very good veteran free agents this year just look at the Oline, a lot of guards that there will be a huge run on immediately. Starting at 5 million already means they'll take 3-4. I'd rather have Powell back & draft Ezekiel Elliot than sign Lammar Miller for 5 million.

20 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Teams with a lot of money will have RB very low on the importance scale. No Adrian Petersons in that group. They'll start spending on CBs, Oline, Dline, LBs before they even look at FA RBs. Money will dry up quickly there are a lot of very good veteran free agents this year just look at the Oline, a lot of guards that there will be a huge run on immediately. Starting at 5 million already means they'll take 3-4. I'd rather have Powell back & draft Ezekiel Elliot than sign Lammar Miller for 5 million.

We be using our #1 pick on a RB in your scenario.  I can't say I've seen very much of Elliot but he'd have to be pretty outstanding to be worth a #1 IMHO.  RB seems like a very interchangeable position in the NFL today.  QB is the real problem to solve.  And if we're thinking RB in this draft then why not just trade next year's #1 w/ this  year's #1 to move up to get a QB (assuming Cags believes in one of these guys)?   Seems like a no-brainer to trade a RB (Elliot) along w/ next year's #1 pick for a potential long-term solution at QB.  Again, this assumes Cags believes in Wentz/Goff/etc.

19 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

We be using our #1 pick on a RB in your scenario.  I can't say I've seen very much of Elliot but he'd have to be pretty outstanding to be worth a #1 IMHO.  RB seems like a very interchangeable position in the NFL today.  QB is the real problem to solve.  And if we're thinking RB in this draft then why not just trade next year's #1 w/ this  year's #1 to move up to get a QB (assuming Cags believes in one of these guys)?   Seems like a no-brainer to trade a RB (Elliot) along w/ next year's #1 pick for a potential long-term solution at QB.  Again, this assumes Cags believes in Wentz/Goff/etc.

It assums Macc likes a QB for that price at the top of the draft.  Also assumes someone else doesn't and that you can move up to 1 or 2 for only 2 1's

6 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

The sad demise of the Running back in the NFL. 

yeah until a dynamic runner comes along like a Marshall Faulk and turns a good offense into one of the best ever. Passing on RB's is stupid they are a huge help to the QB in so many ways that get over looked in the current dumb NFL . This league seems to be run by the owners now more than ever. The real football men of the past are going away and everyone thinks you have to have this elite top 5 QB to win anything at all even at the expense of the team and that once again is dumb football philosophy. A good QB on a well balanced team will beat the elite QB that carries his team on his back. Come playoff time weaknesses get exposed so its great that elite QB's win you a lot of regular season games but its not so great when the holes on your team get your ass bounced in the playoffs. Just ask Peyton Manning

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Ivory isn't going in the second group.  He's better than Miller and worth more than Forte at this point, don't you think?

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Ivory isn't going in the second group.  He's better than Miller and worth more than Forte at this point, don't you think?

Ivory isn't better then Milller.  Miller is 3 years younger, less tread on the tires, not an injury and more of a home run threat.

in my opinion, i should say.

52 minutes ago, heymangold said:

Powell 3M?

if thats who i'm picking from, i'd go Forte/Morris

This. Powell showed some flashes, but he is nowhere near as good as Forte. He may not even be as good Starks. Plus Powell showed that when he was given the ball consistently he would get banged up. Powell is the guy you settle on for peanuts at the end of free agency or even in the beginning when he realizes he is far more valuable to the Jets than to any other team. 

4 minutes ago, heymangold said:

Ivory isn't better then Milller.  Miller is 3 years younger, less tread on the tires, not an injury and more of a home run threat.

in my opinion, i should say.

I get that but while he's younger Ivory isn't old.  And Miller hasn't produced.  Ivory led the AFC in rushing, was top 5 in the NFL.  I'm just not getting why Miller would be worth almost 2xs more.  

14 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I get that but while he's younger Ivory isn't old.  And Miller hasn't produced.  Ivory led the AFC in rushing, was top 5 in the NFL.  I'm just not getting why Miller would be worth almost 2xs more.  

the lack of Miller's usage is one of the main reasons Philbin got fired.  everytime they featured miller he would produce.  5M still is astronomical for the guy, but i think he's a better and more long term option then Ivory.

13 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Makes you miss the compiler who was getting 6 million a year 18 years ago..

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, heymangold said:

the lack of Miller's usage is one of the main reasons Philbin got fired.  everytime they featured miller he would produce.  5M still is astronomical for the guy, but i think he's a better and more long term option then Ivory.

I think he's an interesting alternative, to save money and that's not what would happen at 5 per.  Unless Ivory gets stupid too.  But if you sign Miller you hope he's as good as Ivory, there's no guarantee he will.  

7 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Makes you miss the compiler who was getting 6 million a year 18 years ago..

Reveal hidden contents

I know, who would want someone who finished 3 or 4 in yardage all time, HOF RB.   ?

Or ignore the game was a lot different, RBs were looked at differently and a bigger part of the game back then 

We all get it, you don't like Martin.  

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I know, who would want someone who finished 3 or 4 in yardage all time, HOF RB.   ?

Or ignore the game was a lot different, RBs were looked at differently and a bigger part of the game back then 

We all get it, you don't like Martin.  

And Vinny has more tds and passing yardage then Montana so I guess he was better??

4 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

And Vinny has more tds and passing yardage then Montana so I guess he was better??

Why are you on to Vinny?  Vinny was never as good at his position as Martin.  Period.  Vinny was never Montana.  Period.  

You do realize Martin is in the HOF?  As much as it kills you. We've done this before and you know I totally disagree with you. Martin is a HOF RB.  Easily. 

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Why are you on to Vinny?  Vinny was never as good at his position as Martin.  Period.  Vinny was never Montana.  Period.  

You do realize Martin is in the HOF?  As much as it kills you. We've done this before and you know I totally disagree with you. Martin is a HOF RB.  Easily. 

Your so easy to rile up as most Martinette's are..LOL

1 minute ago, Savage69 said:

Your so easy to rile up as most Martinette's are..LOL

Riled up? For being a fan of the only HOF back to play almost all of his career in NY? Nothing I said makes me riled up. 

Seriously, that dumb name is just as ridiculous today as it was on JI.

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Riled up? For being a fan of the only HOF back to play almost all of his career in NY? Nothing I said makes me riled up. 

Seriously, that dumb name is just as ridiculous today as it was on JI.

Speaking of dumb Favre playing hurt to protect his iron man streak was dumb in 2008.. Just as Martin was playing with not 1 but 2 ankle sprains in 2002 or 2005 when he was to hurt too practice like 02 but pushed on in games to compile with a smile..Most HC's have a rule if you can't practice you can't play except for Hermie..

2 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Speaking of dumb Favre playing hurt to protect his iron man streak was dumb in 2008.. Just as Martin was playing with not 1 but 2 ankle sprains in 2002 or 2005 when he was to hurt too practice like 02 but pushed on in games to compile with a smile..Most HC's have a rule if you can't practice you can't play except for Hermie..

Ok, you're right he was looking to compile stats.  You know this.  

Guess you thought Klecko should have been benched when he couldn't practice because of the same injury. Was in a cast all week and played on Sunday. 

Again, you don't like Martin.  I do.  Go argue with the HOF, they must be defensive Martinettes also. 

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Ok, you're right he was looking to compile stats.  You know this.  

Guess you thought Klecko should have been benched when he couldn't practice because of the same injury. Was in a cast all week and played on Sunday. 

Again, you don't like Martin.  I do.  Go argue with the HOF, they must be defensive Martinettes also. 

Want another example?? In 2003 with the Jets going nowhere Martin entered Dec with no td's and 800 yds .. It would have been a great time to showcase Jordan who the Raiders offered a 3rd rd pick for that year.. Instead they ended the season with 125 carries for Cumar and 1 for Jordan.. Martin got his 1,000 + and managed 2 tds.. Yeah stats for Cumar...

10 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Want another example?? In 2003 with the Jets going nowhere Martin entered Dec with no td's and 800 yds .. It would have been a great time to showcase Jordan who the Raiders offered a 3rd rd pick for that year.. Instead they ended the season with 125 carries for Cumar and 1 for Jordan.. Martin got his 1,000 + and managed 2 tds.. Yeah stats for Cumar...

Jordan was a great RB when the game was over.  A garbage time RB who never proved he was near Martin as starting RB.  Got his chance in Oak and didn't prove to anyone that he was the player you believe he was.  1,025 at 3.8 per.  Once.  That makes you what, a Jordanette? Q

Im sure you'll go back doing the tried and Jet fan garbage of knocking one of our own.    

Klecko? Crickets. Martin, selfish.  Gotcha. 

As I said, the HOF, the Jets, Parcells and most disagree with you.

I am not a word whisperer, but I think it clearly says that he is looking for more than $5 Million per and the team would settle on $5 Million per.  

Miller provides the highest value of the free agent, with age and production.  There are currently 10 teams with more than 40 Million in cap space.  It is highly likely he gets what he wants.  JMO.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Jordan was a great RB when the game was over.  A garbage time RB who never proved he was near Martin as starting RB.  Got his chance in Oak and didn't prove to anyone that he was the player you believe he was.  1,025 at 3.8 per.  Once.  That makes you what, a Jordanette? Q

Im sure you'll go back doing the tried and Jet fan garbage of knocking one of our own.    

Klecko? Crickets. Martin, selfish.  Gotcha. 

As I said, the HOF, the Jets, Parcells and most disagree with you.

I was for trading Jordan that's why I wanted to showcase him.. At least Jordan never said he thought the Jets were a bottom of the barrel team like Martin did..

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/07/curtis_martin_never_liked_foot.html

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

yeah until a dynamic runner comes along like a Marshall Faulk and turns a good offense into one of the best ever. Passing on RB's is stupid they are a huge help to the QB in so many ways that get over looked in the current dumb NFL . This league seems to be run by the owners now more than ever. The real football men of the past are going away and everyone thinks you have to have this elite top 5 QB to win anything at all even at the expense of the team and that once again is dumb football philosophy. A good QB on a well balanced team will beat the elite QB that carries his team on his back. Come playoff time weaknesses get exposed so its great that elite QB's win you a lot of regular season games but its not so great when the holes on your team get your ass bounced in the playoffs. Just ask Peyton Manning

Football will always be a game won in the trenches.  Resign Powell, Ivory (or another FA rb) and draft Procise.  That's 3 quality rb's with 3 different skill sets that can come in and take over if need be.  last year when Powell and Ivory went down we were stuck Ridley and it costs us a playoff spot.  

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Ivory made $2.75m last yr. and led the AFC in rushing.

He'll be getting offers in the $3-4m range

Powell made $2m last yr.

4 hours ago, heymangold said:

Powell 3M?

if thats who i'm picking from, i'd go Forte/Morris

Powell made $2m last yr. and showed flashes, good in picking up blitzes, catches well out of backfield is 27 with low mileage.

If Dolphins don't sign Miller I could see Tannenbaum going after Powell.

Archived