2008-Vernon Gholston DE OSU, Dustin Keller TE Purdue

2007-Darrelle Revis CB Pitt

2006-D'Brickashaw Ferguson T Virginia, Nick Mangold C OSU

2005-NO DRAFT PICK

2004-Jonathan Vilma LB Miami

2003-Dewayne Robertson DT Kentucky

2002-Bryan Thomas DE Alabama-Birmingham

2001-Santana Moss WR Miami

**: even though Woody Johnson took over the team ownership in January of the year 2000 I think it's pretty clear that Parcells was essentially running the team until just after the 2000 draft

INSANITY: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein PK (and yes he WAS a Jet defender back on the early 1960's)

I can see 3 skill position players on this board

33 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

* players in BOLD are yep, you guessed it Defensive players' names

2016- Darron Lee LB OSU

2015-Leonard Williams DT USC

2014-Calvin Pryor S Louisville

2013-Dee Milner CB Alabama, Sheldon Richardson DT Missouri

2012-Quinton Coples DE North Carolina

2011-Muhammad Wilkerson DL Temple U

2010-Kyle Wilson CB Boise State

2009-Mark Sanchez QB USC

2008-Vernon Gholston DE OSU, Dustin Keller TE Purdue

2007-Darrelle Revis CB Pitt

Amazing that 7 of the 10 defensive players we'vre drafted are still on the roster. That's actually a really good thing. 

Most of those players were long time Jets and/or players that are still on the team. You draft to get long time contributing football players that make your team better. In recent history the Jets have done well in the first round especially when drafting defense.

Under Woody's ownership they haven't found a quarterback and that's not because we passed on any in the draft during the years when we were in the market. If Paxton Lynch turns into Aaron Rodgers then you have something to complain about.

I'm not the biggest of Woody fan, but regardless of anyone's opinions on the volume of defensive player picks, I don't see any way you can directly associate this with Woody.  For the guy who is allegedly such a clueless owner looking for nothing but big splashes, defenders is absolutely not the way you go, especially at some of the less "exciting" positions like DT.

If it was all Woody, you know they would have been all over the likes of Manziel, Lynch, and every other known QB that would have grabbed headlines.

47 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

Amazing that 7 of the 10 defensive players we'vre drafted are still on the roster. That's actually a really good thing. 

Its also amazing that with all the defense drafted, we have never had a dominating defense. We had a very good defense in 09, and the rest its been above average, but nothing special.

12 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Its also amazing that with all the defense drafted, we have never had a dominating defense. We had a very good defense in 09, and the rest its been above average, but nothing special.

Really? We had a defense that carried Mark friggin Sanchez to the doorstep of the Super Bowl twice. That's pretty friggin' dominant. 

Not to mention that we've only been outside the top 10 in DVOA twice in the last 7 years. 

2 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

Really? We had a defense that carried Mark friggin Sanchez to the doorstep of the Super Bowl twice. That's pretty friggin' dominant. 

Not to mention that we've only been outside the top 10 in DVOA twice in the last 7 years. 

they didn't carry anything.  those Ds were very good but not great and they melted in both title games.

46 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I'm not the biggest of Woody fan, but regardless of anyone's opinions on the volume of defensive player picks, I don't see any way you can directly associate this with Woody.  For the guy who is allegedly such a clueless owner looking for nothing but big splashes, defenders is absolutely not the way you go, especially at some of the less "exciting" positions like DT.

If it was all Woody, you know they would have been all over the likes of Manziel, Lynch, and every other known QB that would have grabbed headlines.

Seriously, he is blaming Woody for not making the coaches draft "names", and rather letting them draft who they want.   That's what you want an owner to do.

10 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

Ehhh, it was very good, but not dominant. 09 was very good, and that along with the very good running game, and an insane amount of luck, carried Mark Sanchez to the doorstep.

After 09, the defense was a shell of itself.

1 minute ago, BowlesMovement said:

Ehhh, it was very good, but not dominant. 09 was very good, and that along with the very good running game, and an insane amount of luck, carried Mark Sanchez to the doorstep.

After 09, the defense was a shell of itself.

Actually, we ranked in the top 5 in both '10 and '11....

2 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Thats cool, but I watched the games, and those were not dominating defenses.

they weren't, anyone watching knows that.  they were dominant at times but truly dominating D's don't blow as many late game leads as those D's blew, don't fail to show in the biggest games(title games) and get our O a chance at the end of the Pitt game rather than allow Pitt to get 2 1st downs to end the game but posters will come back w/ rankings!  b/c we know rankings tell us everything.:lol:

Just now, Klecko73isGod said:

OK...

tumblr_m9fbufwsqn1qc882co2_250.gif~c200

I can agree to disagree, if you think they were dominating, you are entitled. I disagree, 2009 was an excellent defense, but in 2010 and 11, they were pretty good, but nothing special at all, and had a knack for giving up a drive at the worst possible time, and the offense bailed them out of as many games as they bailed out the offense in 10, again, just my opinion.

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

they weren't, anyone watching knows that.  they were dominant at times but truly dominating D's don't blow as many late game leads as those D's blew, don't fail to show in the biggest games(title games) and get our O a chance at the end of the Pitt game rather than allow Pitt to get 2 1st downs to end the game but posters will come back w/ rankings!  b/c we know rankings tell us everything.:lol:

I think if the team had a legitimate pass rush, it would have had a few year run as truly dominating, but it did not. In 09 Rex's blitzes generated a pass rush in almost every game, but in 10 and beyond, his overload blitzes were too often picked up and left people wide open for big plays. I agree, there were times it was dominating, but it was not an overall dominating defense because they lacked the ability to get to the QB consistently.

26 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

If there's anything Woody SHOULD be blamed for it's been his pushing his GM to surrender draft picks in exchange for circus acts like Tebow to help sell PSLs...

I always love hearing that as if there is a single human on the planet who would buy a worthless PSL based on the jets acquiring a backup QB.

Archived