This is the Jettiest Draft of All Jet Drafts

The Troll

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, The Troll said:

I was pretty indifferent to the Lee pick. The speed, I love. But he's a questionable fit in a 3-4 defense. An ILB needs to be able to get off blocks. The scouting report on Lee identifies that as a weakness. So, I wasn't so hot on the pick to begin with. Taking Hackenberg in the second round is what tipped it over the edge for me. We passed on Lynch, who I didn't even want. But if we were going to take a developmental QB in the first two rounds, we should have gone for the gold. At least with Lynch, I'd have some optimism. 6 foot 7 with a Jesus arm. I can dig that. If Lynch turns into another Flacco, as a lot have suggested, and Hackenberg is just a Geno redux, Lee had better be Patrick Willis or it was a gargantuan ****-up.

I don't know...it seems like the FO / CS understands that they need a QB and are going to keep looking until they find one.   First Petty now Hack, 2 chances for one of them to pan out.   They also seem like they've had it with Geno which goes against the grain of what we've come to expect.   

My guess is that O'Brien had great things to say about Hack while in Houston and Macc is basing some of the pick off of those conversations.  The kid has all of the tools to be successful so I guess we'll see what happens.   To me the bigger question is what would make Jets fans happy?   It seems like we've been so starved for QB's that if it's not a Montana or Elway we won't be happy.  

If Hack turns into Flacco or Ryan are we happy or does he get run out of town?  

2 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

If Hack turns into Flacco or Ryan are we happy or does he get run out of town?  

Either would be a material upgrade, so I'd say most would be very happy.  

If he turns out to be David Carr, are we happy?  

Hackenberg is the ultimate "could be total sh*t, could be great, we won't know for a while".  He supposedly has all the things a QB would want to have, and yet his resume shows him not getting better.  Like numerous Jets QB draft picks before him (Sanchez, Geno), I fear we'll hear the same old manta "he just needs a fair chance, the players around him are to blame" quite a bit in our future.  

Linebackers have been ignored, too. 2 LBers in the first 3 picks makes me very happy.

this is 2016, not 1985, so Lee will be utilized in Bowles system. Speed, speed, speed. 

Pace can't set the edge forever. Jenkins an athletic upgrade there.

i can understand OL concerns for sure. I'm concerned about that too. I don't trust cladys health. And jeez, mangold is a season ending injury waiting to happen-his long, dedicated career has to catch up with him soon. 

This draft was pretty good w/ the exception of two things:

1) The Darron Lee pick was horrible. I believe this to be a strategically crippling move. Darron Lee IS Jon Vilma. Darron Lee is will not be able to shed blocks in this defense. They might as well have flushed that pick right down the toilet. My hope is that Mac hasn't set this organization back years like Tanny and Idzik did.

2) They never drafted a TE. This was a big need for this offense and they completely skipped over it. They could have taken Jerron Lee or Tyler Higbee. Instead they went corner and I believe that is a mistake. Utilizing the TE is how to beat cover 2 and the Jets have no options at TE. It was necessity for this offense and especially this year where the competition is so much harder. Skipping over TE was a completely BAD move.

So like I said with those things considered, I would grade this draft out as a C-, maybe a D+. Eithere way this team will NOT be competitive this season. As I said already they'll be lucky to win 6 games the way I see it.

4 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

This draft was pretty good w/ the exception of two things:

1) The Darron Lee pick was horrible. I believe this to be a strategically crippling move. Darron Lee IS Jon Vilma. Darron Lee is will not be able to shed blocks in this defense. They might as well have flushed that pick right down the toilet. My hope is that Mac hasn't set this organization back years like Tanny and Idzik did.

2) They never drafted a TE. This was a big need for this offense and they completely skipped over it. They could have taken Jerron Lee or Tyler Higbee. Instead they went corner and I believe that is a mistake. Utilizing the TE is how to beat cover 2 and the Jets have no options at TE. It was necessity for this offense and especially this year where the competition is so much harder. Skipping over TE was a completely BAD move.

So like I said with those things considered, I would grade this draft out as a C-, maybe a D+. Eithere way this team will NOT be competitive this season. As I said already they'll be lucky to win 6 games the way I see it.

1) Jonathan Vilma would be brilliant in this defence. We're not strictly 3-4 like we were under Mangini and there's virtually no comparison to the defensive lines. You're talking about Kimo and D-Rob vs Sheldon, Williams and Mo. Along with McClendon and Harris Lee wont be dealing with any more blockers than any 4-3 guy. It's a perfect situation for him and Bowles has gotten the best out of this type before. Have faith.

2) I'm actually pretty happy with that. The only exceptional prospect was Henry who I said I would have taken, but other than that I'd probably rather see what Amaro can do along with Enunwa in the H-Back role. Our blocking problens are on the offensive line and we have enough right now in the recieving game.

With Fitz we will be competitive for sure.

16 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I mean, what are the chances of that happening? Hahahahahahahsshaahshhahahahshshahaahahahahahahahahahahshshsaa

When Lynch is being inducted into the HOF I will consider the Jets entirely responsible. The story writes itself.

The troll hit the nail on  the head pretty well with his 1st assessment.

The worst thing about drafting Hackenburg in the 2nd other than the fact he is going to suck is that if a few things go wrong for the jets next year and the jets win 4 or 5 games and are picking high they they not go after a high end qb in the draft.  Will they draft another QB to keep up with a draft a guy each year?  Sure, a later round guy.  No way they try and make the necessary moves to take a possible true top end QB early in the draft.

Most draft grades are giving us a B or B-. The anchor is clearly the Hackenberg pick, and what becomes of him. 

People have complained about Darron Lee more on here than any of experts have. It's fascinating. 

As for TE, I really like the kid we have out of South Alabama, Wes Saxton. I think he's going to be a good one

17 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Hackenberg ruined the draft, IMO. Drafting Darron Lee and Jenkins is fine because it seemed last year that the defense on most plays was stout, but the LBs were way too slow to finish the plays, particularly against the Bills. That should no longer be an issue. The corner in the fourth is predictable because it's clear that Bowles has no use for McDougle or Milliner. Bowles was a scrappy overachiever DB and wants all of his players to be scrappy overachievers, similar to Mangini. 

The Hackenberg pick makes or breaks this regime, and I suspect he's someone that Maccagnan has wanted for a long time because he looks the part. The organization had to shoot its shot this year on the position because they couldn't find themselves in Year Four still poking around for veteran cast-offs, but I didn't think they were going to shoot their shot from half court with their off hand. Still grossed out by it, but I'm sure they'll do what they can to insulate the turd and give him a chance to grow some balls and some mental toughness. Worst case scenario, they'll fire Bowles and bring in Bill O'Brien in two years.

so blah blah blah the QB sucks ?  this is just because they didn't take the kid from memphis, right ?

17 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Hackenberg ruined the draft, IMO. Drafting Darron Lee and Jenkins is fine because it seemed last year that the defense on most plays was stout, but the LBs were way too slow to finish the plays, particularly against the Bills. That should no longer be an issue. The corner in the fourth is predictable because it's clear that Bowles has no use for McDougle or Milliner. Bowles was a scrappy overachiever DB and wants all of his players to be scrappy overachievers, similar to Mangini. 

The Hackenberg pick makes or breaks this regime, and I suspect he's someone that Maccagnan has wanted for a long time because he looks the part. The organization had to shoot its shot this year on the position because they couldn't find themselves in Year Four still poking around for veteran cast-offs, but I didn't think they were going to shoot their shot from half court with their off hand. Still grossed out by it, but I'm sure they'll do what they can to insulate the turd and give him a chance to grow some balls and some mental toughness. Worst case scenario, they'll fire Bowles and bring in Bill O'Brien in two years.

How does a bottom half of the 2nd round draft pick make or break a regime? I have never heard anything like that before. What generally makes or breaks a regime is whether or not they find a QB. Mac has made it clear he is going to go after them until he finds one. He liked Hackenberg better than Lynch, will see if he is right. Being wrong on Lynch in the 1st would have been more damaging than being wrong on Hackenberg in the second.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Hackenburg being a bad pick has nothing to do with any other picks in the whole draft.

lol

fans fall in love with guys, and when the jets pick comes up they shush everyone in the room, start a little prayer, and hold their breath......its obvious with lynch on the board exactly who was saying a lynch prayer..then..... 

I was thrilled because I was saying a Lee prayer.  Its obvious to see who was saying a lynch prayer

2 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

How does a bottom half of the 2nd round draft pick make or break a regime? I have never heard anything like that before. What generally makes or breaks a regime is whether or not they find a QB. Mac has made it clear he is going to go after them until he finds one. He liked Hackenberg better than Lynch, will see if he is right. Being wrong on Lynch in the 1st would have been more damaging than being wrong on Hackenberg in the second.

The fact that the Jets picked Hackenburg in the 2nd round this year means they will in all likelyhood will not take a QB early for at least a couple of years.  That is an issue.  Will we stick to the draft a QB each year mantra?  Yes, they will, will they go out of their way to try and get the best or 2nd best qb in the draft for a few years?  No.

Thus the regime is heavily hooked into Hackenburg.

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

lol

fans fall in love with guys, and when the jets pick comes up they shush everyone in the room, start a little prayer, and hold their breath......its obvious with lynch on the board exactly who was saying a lynch prayer..then..... 

I was thrilled because I was saying a Lee prayer.  Its obvious to see who was saying a lynch prayer

Lynch or any other player has zero to do with Hackenburg being a sh*tty pick.  There is no big issue with the jets passing on lynch if they didn;t like him.  Hackenbrug is a lousy pick for a number of reasons.  Lee was a lousy pick as well imo but that is another story.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The fact that the Jets picked Hackenburg in the 2nd round this year means they will in all likelyhood will not take a QB early for at least a couple of years.  That is an issue.  Will we stick to the draft a QB each year mantra?  Yes, they will, will they go out of their way to try and get the best or 2nd best qb in the draft for a few years?  No.

Thus the regime is heavily hooked into Hackenburg.

I disagree, but neither of us knows for sure. They will have a full year to evaluate him, and if they believe he sucks, you can bet your ass they will take another high draft pick on a QB IF THEY LIKE HIM, next year. 

Lynch or any other player has zero to do with Hackenburg being a sh*tty pick.  There is no big issue with the jets passing on lynch if they didn;t like him.  Hackenbrug is a lousy pick for a number of reasons.  Lee was a lousy pick as well imo but that is another story.

If Hackenburg is such a sh*tty pick, we wasted another 2nd round draft pick, and we will go after another one next year.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

who do you pick at those two spots ?

Just now, BowlesMovement said:

I disagree, but neither of us knows for sure. They will have a full year to evaluate him, and if they believe he sucks, you can bet your ass they will take another high draft pick on a QB IF THEY LIKE HIM, next year. 

Like they had a full year to evlaluate petty who never took a snap?  No, a 2nd round QB is far more of a 'we need to give this guy a true shot' than a 4th rounder.  Hack will sit in year one will maybe start in year two and will get a sanchexz geno like 2-3 year look.  In that time the jets will not go out of their way to draft a guy high.

1 minute ago, BowlesMovement said:

If Hackenburg is such a sh*tty pick, we wasted another 2nd round draft pick, and we will go after another one next year.

No we won't because they will not find out about him after one year and because front offices have an affinity for their picks, especially top 3 round guys who they  will give every chance to show something.  Hackenburg will get much more of a shot than petty will.  Hell if the jets are sitting with the 1st overall pick next year and really good qb is there they'll probably trade down. 

Like they had a full year to evlaluate petty who never took a snap?  No, a 2nd round QB is far more of a 'we need to give this guy a true shot' than a 4th rounder.  Hack will sit in year one will maybe start in year two and will get a sanchexz geno like 2-3 year look.  In that time the jets will not go out of their way to draft a guy high.

Ive said this before, and I will say it again.... Success in the NFL comes to scouting, player development, and putting talented players in the best spot to succeed. Either Mac and his staff can evaluate talent, or they cannot. We really don't have enough of a sample size here to make any clear judgements on Mac, other than to say he was pretty highly regarded when it came to talent evaluation. Either they were not in love with what they saw from Petty, or they just like Hack that much, its hard to say one way or another. BUT, I think Mac made it clear he is going after a QB until he gets one. The easy thing to do this year would be to pay Fitz what he wants, he did not do that. He held firm and drafted another QB. Whether he gets a good one or not remains to be seen, but he is making it clear he wants one. Hell, he tried to trade up fro Goff.

4 minutes ago, Larz said:

who do you pick at those two spots ?

In the 1st I would have taken Lynch or Doctson or Treadwell.  In the 2nd anyone of a number of guys oline, a guy like cravens, tyler boyd if we didn't go wr in round one,   I would have taken a qb but later on.

Just now, Beerfish said:

In the 1st I would have taken Lynch or Doctson or Treadwell.  In the 2nd anyone of a number of guys oline, a guy like cravens, tyler boyd if we didn't go wr in round one,   I would have taken a qb but later on.

so basically they didn't take the guys you wanted, so sh*t picks ?   that's always what it comes down to

always

4 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Ive said this before, and I will say it again.... Success in the NFL comes to scouting, player development, and putting talented players in the best spot to succeed. Either Mac and his staff can evaluate talent, or they cannot. We really don't have enough of a sample size here to make any clear judgements on Mac, other than to say he was pretty highly regarded when it came to talent evaluation. Either they were not in love with what they saw from Petty, or they just like Hack that much, its hard to say one way or another. BUT, I think Mac made it clear he is going after a QB until he gets one. The easy thing to do this year would be to pay Fitz what he wants, he did not do that. He held firm and drafted another QB. Whether he gets a good one or not remains to be seen, but he is making it clear he wants one. Hell, he tried to trade up fro Goff.

I have no issue with the Jets strategy re QB;'s I have an issue with the QB we drafted.  I simply think the player is fools gold, looks like an nfl qb, talks like an nfl qb, has under lying issues that will make him a bad pick. 

5 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

How does a bottom half of the 2nd round draft pick make or break a regime?

It doesn't. Which is kind of the problem. There are two ways to get canned for failing to find the quarterback. One is by staking your job to the wrong guy like Rex did with Sanchez, and the other is by not staking your job to anybody like Mangini did. As far as drafted quarterbacks go, it's kind of pointless to ever take anybody where we've taken Clemens and Geno and Hackenberg over the past ten years or so. The talent curve drops off steep at first and then levels off. There's a bigger difference between the first overall pick and a guy who goes just a few slots later than there is between a mid-second rounder and a mid-fourth rounder. The Hackenberg pick basically straddles the line between both failures. We gave up an asset of real value for one more noodle to throw at the wall.

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

so basically they didn't take the guys you wanted, so sh*t picks ?   that's always what it comes down to

always

Your logic is quickly going into joewilly , nycjun territory dude.  I think they were poor picks because I don't like the players or type of players they are.

7 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Either Mac and his staff can evaluate talent, or they cannot.

It isn't that simple just because your ability to pretend to speak knowingly about this requires it to be. The problem with you goofballs isn't that you think you could have done a better job of drafting than Idzik did. It's that you think you're even able to tell the difference.

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I have no issue with the Jets strategy re QB;'s I have an issue with the QB we drafted.  I simply think the player is fools gold, looks like an nfl qb, talks like an nfl qb, has under lying issues that will make him a bad pick. 

Fair enough, you may be right. Time will tell.

10 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

It doesn't. Which is kind of the problem. There are two ways to get canned for failing to find the quarterback. One is by staking your job to the wrong guy like Rex did with Sanchez, and the other is by not staking your job to anybody like Mangini did. As far as drafted quarterbacks go, it's kind of pointless to ever take anybody where we've taken Clemens and Geno and Hackenberg over the past ten years or so. The talent curve drops off steep at first and then levels off. There's a bigger difference between the first overall pick and a guy who goes just a few slots later than there is between a mid-second rounder and a mid-fourth rounder. The Hackenberg pick basically straddles the line between both failures. We gave up an asset of real value for one more noodle to throw at the wall.

OK, so explain to me what he SHOULD have done? He tried to trade up for Goff, last year he could not get a top tier talent, so what the hell is he supposed to do? Did you see what the Rams and Eagles gave up respectively? And the Jets were further down, know what that would have cost? So what he did was took the guy he thought had the best chance of succeeding. I love people who critique a strategy with no solution that is better, so lets hear what Mac SHOULD have done by now to get that top tier guy.....

10 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

It isn't that simple just because your ability to pretend to speak knowingly about this requires it to be. The problem with you goofballs isn't that you think you could have done a better job of drafting than Idzik did. It's that you think you're even able to tell the difference.

Ahhhh, now we are at the root of the issue, another Idzik lover...... I never claimed to be able to draft better than Idzik, or anyone for that matter. I am not a scout, nor am I a talent evaluator. But I do know that Idzik came in and basically left the scouts unchanged, and had no history of being a personal guy whatsoever, and then acted like he was. Idzik had no business ever being a GM, and the only reason he became a GM is because our idiot asshat moron owner insisted on keeping the idiot asshat moron HC clown, who no real GM's wanted to work with, so we ended up hiring the best fraud GM who would interview with us, and he turned out to be a fraud.

14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Your logic is quickly going into joewilly , nycjun territory dude.  I think they were poor picks because I don't like the players or type of players they are.

because you wanted the jets to pick they guys you liked

what is this based on, how many college games did you watch start to finish last year, keenly observing all 22 players on the filed ?

3 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

OK, so explain to me what he SHOULD have done? He tried to trade up for Goff, last year he could not get a top tier talent, so what the hell is he supposed to do? Did you see what the Rams and Eagles gave up respectively? And the Jets were further down, know what that would have cost? So what he did was took the guy he thought had the best chance of succeeding. I love people who critique a strategy with no solution that is better, so lets hear what Mac SHOULD have done by now to get that top tier guy.....

What should he have done?  Taken a QB prospect in this draft, further down the board who he was not obliged by round and investment to stick with and tried again next year to get the top end guy.

Just now, Beerfish said:

What should he have done?  Taken a QB prospect in this draft, further down the board who he was not obliged by round and investment to stick with and tried again next year to get the top end guy.

LOL, you have no idea what grade he had on any QB. Why the hell would he do that if he believed in Hackenburg, or thought the rest of the QB's sucked? I don't understand how anyone can make these blind statements without having any idea what he thought of the players involved?

If you want to argue that he cannot evaluate talent, fine, go for it, time will see if he is right or wrong, but this is just crazy without having a clue of how he evaluated these players.

Just now, BowlesMovement said:

In this year's draft? Either do whatever it takes to get the first pick and draft Goff or take Cardale Jones in the fourth instead of Hackenberg in the second.

Archived