Bart Scott Tells The Truth About Fitz

KRL

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

What I want out of this regime is to not tell the truth publicly often. I am being serious. If they want Fitz or don't want him, their actions is what will prove it. Not what they tell the media. What we know is that they are treating Fitz like an average QB and they won't pay a lot for him. I totally support that.

One year 6 million that is my final offer to Fitz. Or two years 10.5 million.

If he can make more money somewhere else, I am comfortable with him walking. He is a weak armed QB that is very limited so I support the Jets approach of constantly drafting QBs until they find the right one.

Their actions have been to offer him a contract.  An offer that they say still stands as he is the top priority.  That answers the question as to whether or not they want him, unless they're offering deals to players they have no interest in...which I hope is not the case.

As I said in a thread earlier this week, I'm opposed to overpaying any player at any position.  Not just Fitz.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, EM31 said:

Who here has claimed it is an insult to offer Fitz "only" 8M-10M?

Not saying it didn't happen I just do not remember seeing such a position.  Ever. 

There have been more than a few who think the jets offer is insulting to Fitz.  More than a few.

8 hours ago, JiF said:

Meh, you guys are looking way to much into Bowles going with Fitz.  They were 3-1 going into the bye.  Even Bowles said, if they're wining, they're keeping Fitz in there.  And they were, so they did.  He was a 1st year HC, of course he wasnt going to fix what wasnt broken. 

Their true colors are shining through right and it has nothing to do with Geno.  Geno was their guy till he wasnt.  Now what?  

The only reason Geno was their guy was because they had no Idea what they were going  to get in Fitz. Once Fitz started playing and it was obvious he was a good fit with both the offense and its players Geno was never coming back and Im sure at that point After Genos crappy Oakland game the Jets couldn't wait to get Fitz back under center Injury and all. Why ? because as it has been for the previous 2 years Geno Smith Sucks and Fitz might have finally found the right situation.

4 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

The only reason Geno was their guy was because they had no Idea what they were going  to get in Fitz. Once Fitz started playing and it was obvious he was a good fit with both the offense and its players Geno was never coming back and Im sure at that point After Genos crappy Oakland game the Jets couldn't wait to get Fitz back under center Injury and all. Why ? because as it has been for the previous 2 years Geno Smith Sucks and Fitz might have finally found the right situation.

What Smith did well. He didn't make any devastating turnovers, which is always a plus when talking about Smith. Even his lone interception—a brutal throw into double coverage that was picked off by ageless safety Charles Woodson—wasn't damaging, as the Raiders followed it by missing a 52-yard field goal. But Smith led the Jets to 20 points against a Raiders team with an outstanding pass rush—and Smith did this even though the Jets made no effort to run the ball for much of the game. If he relied too much on throwing to wideout Brandon Marshall (18 targets), so be it; Fitzpatrick has looked in Marshall's direction a lot, too. But Decker and wideouts Kenbrell Thompkins and Jeremy Kerley combined for 16 catches, and Smith even threw a touchdown pass to tight end Kellen Davis, for which there should have been an immediate on-field ceremony, considering how little the Jets use their tight ends as pass catchers. Per Pro Football Focus, Smith was pressured in 18 of his 47 dropbacks but had a 104.0 passer rating on those plays. That's a step in the right direction for a guy who had turned it over 41 times in his first two seasons.

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

What Smith did well. He didn't make any devastating turnovers, which is always a plus when talking about Smith. Even his lone interception—a brutal throw into double coverage that was picked off by ageless safety Charles Woodson—wasn't damaging, as the Raiders followed it by missing a 52-yard field goal. But Smith led the Jets to 20 points against a Raiders team with an outstanding pass rush—and Smith did this even though the Jets made no effort to run the ball for much of the game. If he relied too much on throwing to wideout Brandon Marshall (18 targets), so be it; Fitzpatrick has looked in Marshall's direction a lot, too. But Decker and wideouts Kenbrell Thompkins and Jeremy Kerley combined for 16 catches, and Smith even threw a touchdown pass to tight end Kellen Davis, for which there should have been an immediate on-field ceremony, considering how little the Jets use their tight ends as pass catchers. Per Pro Football Focus, Smith was pressured in 18 of his 47 dropbacks but had a 104.0 passer rating on those plays. That's a step in the right direction for a guy who had turned it over 41 times in his first two seasons.

yeah, and if the Jets do sign Fitz guess who's getting cut

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Plenty?  I think you are dreaming in fiction technicolor.  Almost no one thinks that.  Even the people that like Fitz and want him back like myself don't think that.

The Jets have been totally correct in taking their stance.

Fitzpatrick is totally correct in taking his stance. 

Thus no agreement and maybe never an agreement.

Sorry, that wishy, washy answer makes no sense.  On no level is Fitz right.  No one has offered him anything other than the Jets.  He made roughly 3.5 mil and was offered 8-10 by the Jets.  Wanting 15 or more isn't totally correct.

And yes, some here thought he should get 12-14 mil, thought it was fair and the Jets offer was insulting.  

9 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

They had no idea what they were getting in Fitz?  A 33 year old, 11 year veteran?  Chan Gailey had no idea what he was getting in Fitz?

lol okay...

10 minutes ago, JiF said:

They had no idea what they were getting in Fitz?  A 33 year old, 11 year veteran?  Chan Gailey had no idea what he was getting in Fitz?

lol okay...

Yeah JIF LOL hahaha hehehe.... its your typical answer to just about everything. Like the Jets knew they were getting a 31 TD 3900 yard QB in Fitz putting up the best numbers in the teams history at QB yeah they knew that.

13 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Yeah JIF LOL hahaha hehehe.... its your typical answer to just about everything. Like the Jets knew they were getting a 31 TD 3900 yard QB in Fitz putting up the best numbers in the teams history at QB yeah they knew that.

You just told me that "the Jets had no idea what they were getting in Fitz".  Besides the fact he's an 11 year veteran who just came from the team that our GM came from, he also played for Chan Gailey as his Head Coach for 3 years. 

So, his #'s at the end of the year are completely irrelevant to your point.  He wasnt their starter going into the season because they knew more about Fitz than they did Geno.

12 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Sorry, that wishy, washy answer makes no sense.  On no level is Fitz right.  No one has offered him anything other than the Jets.  He made roughly 3.5 mil and was offered 8-10 by the Jets.  Wanting 15 or more isn't totally correct.

And yes, some here thought he should get 12-14 mil, thought it was fair and the Jets offer was insulting.  

Of course he is right, it's called bargaining for the best deal possible.  Other stupid teams set a stupid market and he is trying to take advantage for probably his last contract in the league coming off a great season.  Mo Wilk is getting patted on the head for having to 'settle' for being franchised for the year and the staring Qb is being killed for not taking whatever the jets offer.  Just becasue we have an element on people on this forum that hate the guy does not change the perceived market.

He is fully entitled to ask for whatever he wants (and no one knows what he is asking), the Jets are free to offer what they think is fair and not go above that price point.  It's called the free market system.  He will either be here or he won't.

"It's a process."

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Denver is in great shape at QB, much better than we are whether we re-sign Fitz or not.

It was a joke post quite frankly.

However, to say that they are better off at QB whether we sign Fitz or not is not true. Right now Fitz is generally rated as a better QB than Sanchez, and whether  Lynch or Hackenberg is a better QB prospect is open for debate. I know how you feel about Sanchez so you do not have to respond to this post. No amount of discussion will change your opinion and it is not my intention to.

17 hours ago, AFJF said:

If Geno is the better/younger player with more upside and a stronger arm, why let a few missed preseason games ruin the season?  

Because Fitz beat the mighty Cleveland Browns and scored a few points against Indianapolis when the defense created a million turnovers?  

If they won 10 games with Fitzpatrick,  clearly  they would have won at least 12 with Geno.  

How did Bowles not see that?

Geno has a bigger upside than Fitz. Only because Fitz doesn't have a big upside. What Fitz has is a whole lot of average. Geno's downside is a million times larger than Fitz. They played the safer bet after the broken jaw and it ended up being a non-playoff season.

What the Jets are doing is great, trying to get better at the QB position and not overpaying for average. The approach is 100% the right thing to do. Fitz isn't going to make more money than the Jets offered him.

33 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

However, to say that they are better off at QB whether we sign Fitz or not is not true. Right now Fitz is generally rated as a better QB than Sanchez, and whether  Lynch or Hackenberg is a better QB prospect is open for debate. I know how you feel about Sanchez so you do not have to respond to this post. No amount of discussion will change your opinion and it is not my intention to.

He's totally right too...Denver is in such great shape at QB that they spent months trying to trade for Kaepernick and then traded up to take a QB in round one.  They're thrilled to find out that the guy they planned on having as a backup might end up starting...LOL

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Of course he is right, it's called bargaining for the best deal possible.  Other stupid teams set a stupid market and he is trying to take advantage for probably his last contract in the league coming off a great season.  Mo Wilk is getting patted on the head for having to 'settle' for being franchised for the year and the staring Qb is being killed for not taking whatever the jets offer.  Just becasue we have an element on people on this forum that hate the guy does not change the perceived market.

He is fully entitled to ask for whatever he wants (and no one knows what he is asking), the Jets are free to offer what they think is fair and not go above that price point.  It's called the free market system.  He will either be here or he won't.

"It's a process."

To bargain you need to have something at a certain value that someone, hopefully a few want.  When on team is making an offer, at a 300% increase and there is no one else interested, there isn't even a team in need of a starting QB outside of the Jets that's not a bargaining situation.  He's wrong. No other team set a stupid market.  Try as Fitz fans do to make him the equal to others who got paid, he's not.  He's not a young QB with potential to continue developing.  He's more probable to regress.  Like it or not Polian was talking about weak arm QBs losing it overnight.  That's how Fitz is viewed.  It's apples to oranges.  

Mo has nothing to do with this.  He's a top 3  3-4 DL, no matter what clueless jets fans rate him at.  He's getting paid one way or another.  Fitz is never, ever getting paid top QB money 

14 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

You don't think Gailey had a good idea as to what he'd be getting in Fitz?

46 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Geno has a bigger upside than Fitz. Only because Fitz doesn't have a big upside. What Fitz has is a whole lot of average. Geno's downside is a million times larger than Fitz. They played the safer bet after the broken jaw and it ended up being a non-playoff season.

What the Jets are doing is great, trying to get better at the QB position and not overpaying for average. The approach is 100% the right thing to do. Fitz isn't going to make more money than the Jets offered him.

Does he, why?

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

Joe Namath doesn't agree:D

49 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Does he, why?

In fairness, this is true.  Geno can make all the throws but Fitz can't.  The "upside" comes from hoping Geno learns how to play quarterback.  If he does, he could be great with these weapons.  Fitz will still be average.  

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

In fairness, this is true.  Geno can make all the throws but Fitz can't.  The "upside" comes from hoping Geno learns how to play quarterback.  If he does, he could be great with these weapons.  Fitz will still be average.  

If this were the case, any QB with a stronger arm would have more upside than anyone with a weaker arm. I think its a very short sighted way of declaring who has more upside. Arm strength is one of many factors that plays into being a good QB.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

To bargain you need to have something at a certain value that someone, hopefully a few want.  When on team is making an offer, at a 300% increase and there is no one else interested, there isn't even a team in need of a starting QB outside of the Jets that's not a bargaining situation.  He's wrong. No other team set a stupid market.  Try as Fitz fans do to make him the equal to others who got paid, he's not.  He's not a young QB with potential to continue developing.  He's more probable to regress.  Like it or not Polian was talking about weak arm QBs losing it overnight.  That's how Fitz is viewed.  It's apples to oranges.  

Mo has nothing to do with this.  He's a top 3  3-4 DL, no matter what clueless jets fans rate him at.  He's getting paid one way or another.  Fitz is never, ever getting paid top QB money 

Come on your 300% comment is stupid.  He had a value to bargain on, one team paid Sam Bradford 16 million.  Another gave a guy who had played a whole 5 or 6 games 18 million.  Philly also just handed 7 million to Chase Daniel.  If all of those players had been paid reasonable contracts Fitzpatrick would p[probably be signed by now.  If you think what other players get in deals has no bearing on what players ask for you are very naive.  You can be as pissed off at Fitzpatrick as you like and you can hate the guys abilities as much as you like, trying to get the max from your last contract after a really good year is the sensible thing to do.  Heck he might just walk away if he feels he is underpaid.  That is his right as well if he has enough cash as it is. 

I'd love to see you in a bargaining session with an agent talking apples to oranges.  And it mo has a lot to do with becasue you just showed that you value Mo thus you are willing to pay him a huge contract, you don;t value Fitzpatrick so you don't want to pay him.  Worse yet not only do you not want to pay a guy you don;t like you are bashing him for asking for the most he can get.  What you feel about Fitzpatrick has nothing to do with it.  An inflated market was set this off season with some really stupid contracts, players and agents base their asks on this market.  If the team doesn't like it, as the jets are not liking it they smartly simply don't sign the player.

2 hours ago, slats said:

You don't think Gailey had a good idea as to what he'd be getting in Fitz?

I think he had an Idea obviously but I do not think he expected what he got by any stretch. I figured Fitz to be in the 20-25 TD 10-15 Int range and the posters on this board found that funny.

When he had 31 TD's in 15 games, no one, including Bowles and Gailey expected that and that's what I meant by that statement.

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Come on your 300% comment is stupid.  He had a value to bargain on, one team paid Sam Bradford 16 million.  Another gave a guy who had played a whole 5 or 6 games 18 million.  Philly also just handed 7 million to Chase Daniel.  If all of those players had been paid reasonable contracts Fitzpatrick would p[probably be signed by now.  If you think what other players get in deals has no bearing on what players ask for you are very naive.  You can be as pissed off at Fitzpatrick as you like and you can hate the guys abilities as much as you like, trying to get the max from your last contract after a really good year is the sensible thing to do.  Heck he might just walk away if he feels he is underpaid.  That is his right as well if he has enough cash as it is. 

I'd love to see you in a bargaining session with an agent talking apples to oranges.  And it mo has a lot to do with becasue you just showed that you value Mo thus you are willing to pay him a huge contract, you don;t value Fitzpatrick so you don't want to pay him.  Worse yet not only do you not want to pay a guy you don;t like you are bashing him for asking for the most he can get.  What you feel about Fitzpatrick has nothing to do with it.  An inflated market was set this off season with some really stupid contracts, players and agents base their asks on this market.  If the team doesn't like it, as the jets are not liking it they smartly simply don't sign the player.

No, the stupid argument is once the Eagles fu(ked up with Bradford the Jets have to do the same.  On every level this makes not one iota of sense.  Start with Bradfords deal makes no sense, now we have to follow suit and compound that mistake because why????  Move on to no one wants Fitz, no one.  Maybe not even the Jets.  A way of thinking none of his followers have even allowed to enter their way of thinking.  

You can keep talking Mo all you want. Release Mo and hes signed in a second.  Fitz hasnt and wont ever get signed.   But you and the rest ignore this 

I'm bashing Fitz because hes a greedy bastard who is asking for money that he wont even get.  Hes threatened to retire.  If this was just about any other player than the beloved, cant do wrong, beard Jets fans would kill this kind of senseless greed.  Hes not a 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 or more million dollar player, will never get it.  Its one thing to try and get the max value deal when your contract is up.  Its another thing to think youre in the drivers seat and are going to threaten the team in negotiations.  Hey players have every right to try and get the most out of a deal.  But asking for 15+ mil when youre Fitz and no one else is helping up the ante is stupid and a waste of everyones time

Archived