How many games will Geno Smith win as the Jets Starting QB in the 2016-2017 season, assuming Ryan Fitzpatrick does not return?

Terry

How many games will Geno Smith win as the Jets Starting QB in the 2016-2017 season, assuming Ryan Fitzpatrick does not return?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. How many games will Geno Smith win as the Jets Starting QB in the 2016-2017 season, assuming Ryan Fitzpatrick does not return?

2 hours ago, section314 said:

What is Geno's contract staus for next year? Do Jets have a 5th year option ? It would be ironic if Geno has a good year this year and pulls a Fitz next year.

Which is why we should extend him now.  Otherwise we'll be stuck paying him 15+mil a season moving forward.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Big Blocker said:

How good a job is it working in the office of Smith's agent?  Any special perks?

Not bad actually.  We're trying to figure ways to cash in on what will soon be Geno's success.

I'm pushing the bobble-jaw idea.

3 hours ago, section314 said:

What is Geno's contract staus for next year? Do Jets have a 5th year option ? It would be ironic if Geno has a good year this year and pulls a Fitz next year.

He's a free agent next season. 5th year options, I believe, are for 1st rounders only. Geno was drafted in the second round. Milliner had his declined, Richardson had his picked up.  

10 hours ago, Terry said:

It's fascinating to see the divergent opinions regarding Geno Smith.

And so, I'd like to take the temperature of the forum participants with the most basic of metrics.

Assuming Ryan Fitzpatrick does not return to the Jets, what will their record be with Geno Smith at the Helm.  Playoff wins, of course, will be included in the total.  By all means, make a reply to add context in how you think the season will play out with Geno under Center.  However, if you do post a response to the thread, please open your post with Geno Smith's expected overall record in the 2016-2017 season.

For example, assuming Fitzpatrick does not return, I predict that the Jets will garner 3 wins and 7 losses with Geno Smith as the Starting Quarterback - at which time, they will replace him.

I didn't realize playoff wins were included when I voted...In that case I'd like to change my vote to 3 wins. 

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Almost like Fitz, on the 14, 1st down, down a point, 5 minutes left in buffalo, needing to protect the ball and at least come away with the FG and a win.  Nope, throw up a prayer and watch it get picked.  

That is just one of the many examples of FITZ, an 11 year vert, making poor decisions under duress. How do you see that changing?

Throwing up a prayer is not the same as freezing, running backwards 10 yards, running along the sideline to get creamed, running out of the end zone, passing the ball behind your back, or throwing a pick six to a DT. 

Every game had a different example, or multiple. I don't get how people forget what this was like. 

39 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Throwing up a prayer is not the same as freezing, running backwards 10 yards, running along the sideline to get creamed, running out of the end zone, passing the ball behind your back, or throwing a pick six to a DT. 

Every game had a different example, or multiple. I don't get how people forget what this was like. 

It's not good. If it was 4th down and we were out of FG range, that would be one thing. He could do anything else there, including taking a sack. Anything other than turn it over. I remember watching the game, thinking , "We've got his wrapped up no matter what happens, whether we get a TD or just a FG. As long as he doesn't throw a pick here this game is ours." Then he throws a pick. Then another. Then another.

I don't get how people forget this either. ? 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's not good. If it was 4th down and we were out of FG range, that would be one thing. He could do anything else there, including taking a sack. Anything other than turn it over. I remember watching the game, thinking , "We've got his wrapped up no matter what happens, whether we get a TD or just a FG. As long as he doesn't throw a pick here this game is ours." Then he throws a pick. Then another. Then another.

I don't get how people forget this either. ? 

We all know, or should know that Fitz gets too aggressive and he forgets that he's not Farve, but he controls it most of the time. We'd all prefer a QB with lack of caution to one controlled by fear. 

For one thing if we get ahead Fitz will usually win us the game. I preached this last year when talking about his past failures. When Fitz is behind he's not very good, but with our defense I thought he'd be better. Now with an added weapon in Forte to provide an outlet, and block, and hopefully an improved Amaro we should be able to play more consistent. At least there's a scenario with Fitz that we win. I don't see one with Geno.  

1 hour ago, NYs Stepchild said:

We all know, or should know that Fitz gets too aggressive and he forgets that he's not Farve, but he controls it most of the time. We'd all prefer a QB with lack of caution to one controlled by fear. 

For one thing if we get ahead Fitz will usually win us the game. I preached this last year when talking about his past failures. When Fitz is behind he's not very good, but with our defense I thought he'd be better. Now with an added weapon in Forte to provide an outlet, and block, and hopefully an improved Amaro we should be able to play more consistent. At least there's a scenario with Fitz that we win. I don't see one with Geno.  

You don't know that. You know that it held true against a uniquely easy schedule; nothing more. Frankly, we won't win enough with either of them. Last year was the perfect storm of easy, and we won a mere 10 games. Meh.

He'd be a great backup, but isn't worth much as a starter beyond being a stopgap. It's not that he gets too aggressive; it's that he gets too stupid. He's already peaked, and it wasn't very high. Worth a ~$7M/yr or less deal, but even that's only if Bowles doesn't slavishly stick to him even after we've been more or less eliminated. And in that case as well, we shouldn't be paying him a never-bench amount in the first place.

53 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You don't know that. You know that it held true against a uniquely easy schedule; nothing more. Frankly, we won't win enough with either of them. Last year was the perfect storm of easy, and we won a mere 10 games. Meh.

He'd be a great backup, but isn't worth much as a starter beyond being a stopgap. It's not that he gets too aggressive; it's that he gets too stupid. He's already peaked, and it wasn't very high. Worth a ~$7M/yr or less deal, but even that's only if Bowles doesn't slavishly stick to him even after we've been more or less eliminated. And in that case as well, we shouldn't be paying him a never-bench amount in the first place.

If you look at Fitz's splits between playing with a lead and playing from behind its pretty drastic, passer rating 92.0 vs 74.9. I guess the more accurate statement would be that if the jets can do enough on defense to control the flow of the game and give the offense an advantage, then fitz can generally be trusted to not throw the game away in a conservative game-manager role. he's fine as long as you aren't depending on him to score in order to win

4 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

You mean running along the sideline for a big gain and taking a hard hit?  We're so desperate that this becomes a complaint?  

What exactly is freezing?  As if Geno is the only QB to ever do it?  To ever get sacked?  

Pick six to a DT?  How about Fitz?  Down 4 or 5 to the Eagles, moving the ball and threw an INT to a DT.  Oh yeah, that different.  

I don't get the nonsense that were supposed to remember.  So what you're saying is QBs in their rookie form is what you get forever.  Sorry I don't buy that story

You don't know that. I watched a lot of Fitz games last off season and he is a very good QB with the lead. I know it doesn't fit your narrative but maybe we could agree to disagree. You want to give up on the season that's your prerogative but some of us want to keep hope alive. It makes for a more entertaining season, and talking about the possibility of winning frankly makes for a more entertaining board. 

Why would you want to pay him 7 mil to lose anyway? MAy as well let Marshall, MAngold, Revis, and Harris go too. 

8 hours ago, cant wait said:

If you look at Fitz's splits between playing with a lead and playing from behind its pretty drastic, passer rating 92.0 vs 74.9. I guess the more accurate statement would be that if the jets can do enough on defense to control the flow of the game and give the offense an advantage, then fitz can generally be trusted to not throw the game away in a conservative game-manager role. he's fine as long as you aren't depending on him to score in order to win

It's a flawed/misleading stat to rely on because it presumes we will have a lead against the league's best teams. 

7 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

You don't know that. I watched a lot of Fitz games last off season and he is a very good QB with the lead. I know it doesn't fit your narrative but maybe we could agree to disagree. You want to give up on the season that's your prerogative but some of us want to keep hope alive. It makes for a more entertaining season, and talking about the possibility of winning frankly makes for a more entertaining board. 

Why would you want to pay him 7 mil to lose anyway? MAy as well let Marshall, MAngold, Revis, and Harris go too. 

You can keep hope alive but that has no bearing on what will happen. No matter how much you pray, no matter how much you avoid things you think will jinx a play, it will have a 0% effect on what actually happens. There is no way we will be a SB team with Fitzpatrick, and it's decidedly unlikely we'll even reach the playoffs just to have a puncher's chance of winning 3 straight playoff games to get there. What Fitz is, is a decent QB when his primary target is open, and moving to his checkdown or running outright very quickly. He doesn't move from one downfield target to another and this "smart" QB still stares them down like a rookie. 

The answer is no I don't actually want to pay him $7M either, but I recognize the PR situation for the team (Maccagnan quite understandably not betting his career on Geno Smith, but not seriously marrying himself to Fitz either), and would go as high as that. As far as the others you mention, Harris was hardly a smart re-signing (given the HC's system and general desire to rely upon demon speed behind the line), and Revis was a PR move - if not a "no matter how much it takes" decree from Woody outright - given their relative costs. Marshall and Mangold have extremely high value should we ever regularly put a QB with future onto the field. In that case, Fitz also has value - if that other QB was good - because he'd be one of the more reliable backups in the league again, who can step onto the field in a pinch without immediately sh*tting his pants.

You can keep hope alive but that has no bearing on what will happen. No matter how much you pray, no matter how much you avoid things you think will jinx a play, it will have a 0% effect on what actually happens. There is no way we will be a SB team with Fitzpatrick, and it's decidedly unlikely we'll even reach the playoffs just to have a puncher's chance of winning 3 straight playoff games to get there. What Fitz is, is a decent QB when his primary target is open, and moving to his checkdown or running outright very quickly. He doesn't move from one downfield target to another and this "smart" QB still stares them down like a rookie. 

The answer is no I don't actually want to pay him $7M either, but I recognize the PR situation for the team (Maccagnan quite understandably not betting his career on Geno Smith, but not seriously marrying himself to Fitz either), and would go as high as that. As far as the others you mention, Harris was hardly a smart re-signing (given the HC's system and general desire to rely upon demon speed behind the line), and Revis was a PR move - if not a "no matter how much it takes" decree from Woody outright - given their relative costs. Marshall and Mangold have extremely high value should we ever regularly put a QB with future onto the field. In that case, Fitz also has value - if that other QB was good - because he'd be one of the more reliable backups in the league again, who can step onto the field in a pinch without immediately sh*tting his pants.

I'll bet you hated "Rocky" too. Rooted for Apollo did ya.  

2 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Well if you like a draw then you should be very happy with the Jets, and Fitz in particular. 

I already predicted 7.5 wins with Fitz, who I think is overwhelmingly likely to return as the starter this year. Really, with as long he's been unsigned and all the back and forth in the papers and out of the papers, I'd still be very surprised if he didn't re-sign. 

22 hours ago, Mainejet said:

WA WA WA......Are you going to continue to make excuses for the a$$hole? The guy had two full seasons and all he had to do was show something, ANYTHING to lead the coaching staff to believe they were on the right track with Geno. He NEVER showed anything. On top of that, you don't understand my hate for Geno? Well, let me ask you if I stiffed you out of $600 for the sake of CHARITY no less, what would you think of me?

What you're missing is that although it took 3 seasons, Genos' true colrs came out when he got into that altercation. It created tremendous embarrassment to not only Geno(although he might to be too stupid to even realize he's a laughingstock), but to the NYJ as a whole. I happen to be a lifelong Jets fan. I do NOT like scumbags that make my team look like a laughingstock and that is EXACTLY what Geno did that day.

This, not to mention that he's supposed to be a LEADER. I'm sorry but a leader does NOT pull the same sh*t Geno did. But quite frankly I could give a flying f*ck if you agree or disagree. I just know that al of the decent people in the Jets fan base do NOT like Geno and want him cut as soon as possible.

"I just know that al of the decent people in the Jets fan base do NOT like Geno and want him cut as soon as possible." 

Ha! Except for Jets coaches and management...lol. You know, the people that actually spend time with him, talk to him, know him as a football player and a person. 

2 minutes ago, PepPep said:

"I just know that al of the decent people in the Jets fan base do NOT like Geno and want him cut as soon as possible." 

Ha! Except for Jets coaches and management...lol. You know, the people that actually spend time with him, talk to him, know him as a football player and a person. 

They are not decent people. Duh.

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I already predicted 7.5 wins with Fitz, who I think is overwhelmingly likely to return as the starter this year. Really, with as long he's been unsigned and all the back and forth in the papers and out of the papers, I'd still be very surprised if he didn't re-sign. 

I predict we'll have another losing streak, and a late season win streak coming down to a final win and in against Rex. We will then find out for sure who was right and wrong. 

Anyway I'm pretty sure we last 15 rounds with Fitz which to me is better than packing it in before the bye. I hate those years, and really hate the idea of going through it with the same QB that put me through it before. 

7 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I can't speak for Al but I don't think think most of the decent people want Geno cut at his salary. He's a very good backup, and would probably play better in that capacity, without the pressure of being the guy. 

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

BS. To a man, including the coaching staff if they had their way Geno would have been gone long ago. The ONLY reason Geno was able to stay on this team after the fight was because of his contract and they couldn't simply cut him like they did IK Enemkpali. I hate arguing with people that do not understand common sense. TWO players got into an altercation that day, not one. The punishment is that TWO players get cut, unless the GM hands are tied in regards to the POS contract. If you're really this ignorant as not to know simple common sense, then go climb back in your hole and stay there.

3 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

BS. To a man, including the coaching staff if they had their way Geno would have been gone long ago. The ONLY reason Geno was able to stay on this team after the fight was because of his contract and they couldn't simply cut him like they did IK Enemkpali. I hate arguing with people that do not understand common sense. TWO players got into an altercation that day, not one. The punishment is that TWO players get cut, unless the GM hands are tied in regards to the POS contract. If you're really this ignorant as not to know simple common sense, then go climb back in your hole and stay there.

Why couldn't they cut him? there's no dead money 

Archived