Fitzpatrick to Pats would be ultimate Belichick troll

joewilly12

Ryan Fitzpatrick to Pats would be the ultimate Belichick troll

With Tom Brady on ice for the first four weeks of the season, would Patriots coach Bill Belichick be interested in buying some Fitzmagic?

As the Jets and Ryan Fitzpatrick continue their contract dance with neither side budging, it would be a Belichickian move for the Hoodie to sign Fitzpatrick as a veteran to compete with Jimmy Garoppolo.

It may be too soon for either side to jump at that, though. For Fitzpatrick, the Jets still make much more sense for him. With the Jets he likely would be the starter for 16 games and slide back into the offense that he thrived in during 2015. With the Patriots, he would be, at best, a four-game placeholder. At worst, he would back up Garoppolo.

Then there is the issue of compensation. Fitzpatrick has balked at the Jets’ contract offer, which averages $8 million per season. It is doubtful the Patriots would come near that price for what would amount to a rental.

Plus, the Patriots have known it was a long shot Brady’s suspension would be lifted. They must have some level of comfort with Garoppolo, whom they drafted in the second round in 2014. They could have added a veteran well before now.

Modal Triggerfitzpats2.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=216
Bill BelichickPhoto: Anthony J. Causi

So why could it happen?

For Belichick, it would be an ultimate troll move toward the Jets, the franchise he has despised for 15 years. If he does not have faith in Garoppolo or in rookie Jacoby Brissett, he might feel the need to add a veteran. Fitzpatrick is the best veteran quarterback available.

The talks between Fitzpatrick and the Jets are going to collapse completely at some point. We probably still are about a month away from that happening. But if Fitzpatrick grows completely frustrated with the Jets, maybe the Patriots are his best option.

It also would be a great way to spite the Jets if there are bad feelings after this contract standoff. Can you imagine the attention Fitzpatrick bolting for the Jets’ biggest rival would get? The back page of The Post would scream “Fitz Pats Trick.”

A marriage between the two sides appears unlikely, but stranger things have happened in the NFL. All you have to do to realize that is look at the entire Deflategate saga and the possibility it could wind up in front of the US Supreme Court.

6 minutes ago, mickeyshuler said:

yeah that would be great.......

never mind that the coaching staff has already determined that Geno Smith is not a starter in the NFL

As well as Fitzpatrick's previous 4 teams that determined he wasn't starter in this league

Dumb article.  I hope NE is dumb enough to pay Fitzpatrick more than $12 million for 4 games.  Otherwise

why would he go there?  Because his whole argument is he deserves more than that figure

6 minutes ago, KRL said:

Dumb article.  I hope NE is dumb enough to pay Fitzpatrick more than $12 million for 4 games.  Otherwise

why would he go there?  Because his whole argument is he deserves more than that figure

Is it possible for players to get deals for parts of a season?  If so, maybe Fitz could be a floater.

The league thinks he's a backup, but he doesn't agree.  So don't sign a deal to be backup.  Just fill in for weeks at a time when teams need.  Perhaps then he could get the equivalent of 12mil a year.  Just let it be known, he's available on a weekly basis for 750k.

I was thinking if they did not like what they are seeing from Jimmy G in training camp they might be able to rent a Fitz for 4 games. Give him a 1-year 3 mil contract and then cut him after 4 games. Fitz would then again be a free agent (if for any reason they needed Fitz for more than 4 games then Kraft can just pay him under the table, no big deal). . If he plays well he might get a deal out of it at least in 2017 with another team. But it's not going to happen. Let's see first if Brady gets the first four game suspension. And then it is probable that NEP will go with Jimmy who knows their system and can probably run it ok. They would dumb it down a bit so he can have an easier time. They drafted the kid from NC State and he would be the backup. Possibly they will get someone cheap as a no. 2 or no. 3 like a Jimmy Clausen. So Fitz haters don't get your hopes up that a horrible Qb like him would go to NEP and screw things up for them. No, hopefully he can screw things up for us. :P

I was thinking if they did not like what they are seeing from Jimmy G in training camp they might be able to rent a Fitz for 4 games.

You can't seriously think Fitz would be the starter over Jimmy G?

If this signing ever happened, which it won't, Fitz would be a back-up for 4 weeks and then he would be released.

15 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

You can't seriously think Fitz would be the starter over Jimmy G?

If this signing ever happened, which it won't, Fitz would be a back-up for 4 weeks and then he would be released.

That's exactly what I said if you read the entire post. That it's not happening and if so for a 4 game deal. But not as the backup. To start. But I think they'll go with Jimmy unless he sucks. And by the way it's not a joke that he could beat out Brady's butler. He could do a good job with that offense.

He could do a good job with that offense.

The Pats offense is predicated on quick reads and accuracy, hitting the receiver perfectly in stride.

Fitz would fail miserably in the Pats offense.

He posses neither of those skills and wouldn't have Marshall to constantly bail him out.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

As well as Fitzpatrick's previous 4 teams that determined he wasn't starter in this league

Right. But we are talking about 2016 though correct? I PROMISE you that AT LEAST the majority of the front office does not believe Geno is a viable starter. This I know for a fact. Yeah you don't know me, I don't know you, people lie, its the internet, yada yada yada. But FWIW I am telling you a fact.

7 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

The Pats offense is predicated on quick reads and accuracy, hitting the receiver perfectly in stride.

He posses neither of those skills and wouldn't have Marshall to constantly bail him out.

actually he gets rid of the ball as fast as anyone so you are wrong. Where he struggles is throwing deep

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I have but New England hasnt 

this just in Fitz started a company called Fitzpatrick's Beard Trimmers, they are the official beard trimmers of the Patriots, all the season ticket holders must buy at least one trimmer in 16-17, and his salary is veteran minimum. 

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

Is it possible for players to get deals for parts of a season?  If so, maybe Fitz could be a floater.

The league thinks he's a backup, but he doesn't agree.  So don't sign a deal to be backup.  Just fill in for weeks at a time when teams need.  Perhaps then he could get the equivalent of 12mil a year.  Just let it be known, he's available on a weekly basis for 750k.

It's possible if they Cut him but as a vested vet his contract is guaranteed if he gets cut once in his career.   Assuming he hasn't used that option yet....  Then they can't have him on the roster in week 1

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

this just in Fitz started a company called Fitzpatrick's Beard Trimmers, they are the official beard trimmers of the Patriots, all the season ticket holders must buy at least one trimmer in 16-17, and his salary is veteran minimum. 

Are you nuts? Robert Kraft owns Gillette they will market big time on the beard 

55 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Jimmy G has done nothing in the NFL but been Brady's caddy which means not playing in games. I just watched a show on Fantasy football on NFLN with a segment on Marshall in 2015. On one play Marshall made a great catch and they caught Fitz on mic saying he couldn't believe it and that Marshall "bailed out my ass." But the rest of the throws were good ones and in addition to catching the ball Marshall did good things after the catch. You know kind of like Randy Moss did for Brady. Great receivers do things like that that's why they're great receivers. Believe me BB could figure out an offense very easily that Fitz could run successfully. Jimmy G might be ok but he's a completely unknown quantity. I would expect him to be satisfactory.

42 minutes ago, mickeyshuler said:

actually he gets rid of the ball as fast as anyone so you are wrong. Where he struggles is throwing deep

I don't think you are appreciating how fast that NE offense moves. they run that no huddle offense so quickly to exploit opposing defenses before they can make personnel changes. fitzpatrick has never run a rapid fire offense like that, his limited skill set is best suited for a conservative game manager role

5 minutes ago, cant wait said:

I don't think you are appreciating how fast that NE offense moves. they run that no huddle offense so quickly to exploit opposing defenses before they can make personnel changes. fitzpatrick has never run a rapid fire offense like that, his limited skill set is best suited for a conservative game manager role

I actually believe that it would fit his skill set perfectly. Where he would struggle is on a team like Pitts that takes many shots downfield and relies big time on Ben's ability to stretch the field

I actually believe that it would fit his skill set perfectly. Where he would struggle is on a team like Pitts that takes many shots downfield and relies big time on Ben's ability to stretch the field

Can you imagine Fitz trying to hit Edleman and Amendola on those short crossing patterns over the middle?

With all his high, low and wide passes he will have them on IR after one game or their YAC would drop to zero.

Fitz would fail miserably in an offense like the Pats run.

1 minute ago, mickeyshuler said:

Not just the vertical passing game I mean, but the uptempo playing style. fitzpatrick struggles on 3rd downs, it would be really hard to run a no huddle offense with him

2 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Can you imagine Fitz trying to hit Edleman and Amendola on those short crossing patterns over the middle?

With all his high, low and wide passes he will have them on IR after one game or their YAC would drop to zero.

I saw him do slant patterns accurately with all Jets receivers including Marshall. He could hook up consistently with Gronk too. This idea of him being slow to release the ball and inaccurate is not what happened on the field. BB went with his backup last time and I'm sure he'll go to Jimmy this time too. But if in training camp and exhibition games if it becomes apparent that Jimmy is not ready a 4 game Rent A Fitz deal is not out of the question. But highly unlikely and my hope is that Fitz signs with us. I would hate to hate the guy. 

2 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Accuracy is not a problem on short passing routes. Decker and Marshall both had a ton of YAC. With no TE and no deep passing game he had a nice year. Don't kid yourself, Pats system is set up for high percentage plays and moving the ball methodically. Most cerebral NFL QB's can manage quite nicely with some playmakers, pass protection, and that formula, Fitz not withstanding

7 hours ago, mickeyshuler said:

Accuracy is not a problem on short passing routes. Decker and Marshall both had a ton of YAC. With no TE and no deep passing game he had a nice year. Don't kid yourself, Pats system is set up for high percentage plays and moving the ball methodically. Most cerebral NFL QB's can manage quite nicely with some playmakers, pass protection, and that formula, Fitz not withstanding

Pats offense revolves around picks/rub routes that have receivers wide open regularly.  Fitz woukd do fine.

11 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

A lot of Brady's success is that he's a product of a great system. BB and McDaniels can very easily make adjustments and adapt to his deficiencies (as compared to Brady). The most important thing is getting a smart Qb who understands the game and could adapt to different offenses fast,. Again BB will go with Jimmy who should do ok for 4 games. It's just chatter on a Jets message board and it won't happen unless there are injuries, etc. I don't know what BB thinks of Fitz he might think he sucks for all I know. Not every team in the NFL wants to sign him. But I would think he respects Fitz and thinks he's a good player. And he'd much rather face Geno than Fitz this coming season imo. 

Archived