Intriguing Players: Anderson and Peake

JetBlue

Anderson was very impressive last night, I had him as pegged as practice squad guy but now I'm not so sure. His negative is he does not play specials at all I believe. He is so damn skinny not sure I want him in specials anyway lol.

marshall makes plays in practice but is shaky in games. He may end up being bumped to practice squad, but then not sure who would return kicks and punts?

Anderson was very impressive last night, I had him as pegged as practice squad guy but now I'm not so sure. His negative is he does not play specials at all I believe. He is so damn skinny not sure I want him in specials anyway lol.

marshall makes plays in practice but is shaky in games. He may end up being bumped to practice squad, but then not sure who would return kicks and punts?

The part about specials is key...Marshall has looked pretty good so far as a returner

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

On 7/22/2016 at 3:01 PM, win4ever said:

Peake has drops issues, much like Hill.  A good amount of Hill's drops were concentration issues as well, with him trying to get going before he secured the ball.

Hill was very painful to watch fight the ball. When I think of concentration drops I think of not watching the ball in I think of Hill trying to remember which way to turn his hands. Almost like trying to catch a ball looking in a mirror. 

11 minutes ago, frankiepapa said:

The part about specials is key...Marshall has looked pretty good so far as a returner

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

I'm afraid Ross is going to be the returner if Marshall doesn't break out of this funk that he's in. Both he and Amaro should be seeing a shrink...maybe a hypnotist. 

It's really disappointing since I think they are so close to becoming very good players. 

2 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Hill was very painful to watch fight the ball. When I think of concentration drops I think of not watching the ball in I think of Hill trying to remember which way to turn his hands. Almost like trying to catch a ball looking in a mirror. 

I think with Hill, it was more his feet than hands.  He always seemed to jump for some reason, or not have his feet set to turn around quickly.  So then he's so aware of his feet, that he stops concentrating on just catching the ball, rather trying to set up YAC.  

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (AP) — Robby Anderson remembers leaning over his birthday cake, closing his eyes and making a wish.

More than anything, the wide receiver just wanted to play football again. So, he blew out the candles on May 9, 2015, celebrated his 22nd birthday and hoped for good news.

"I knew football would never be over," said Anderson, who made a strong claim for a roster spot on the Jets with six catches for 131 yards and a touchdown in New York's 22-18 loss to Washington last Friday night.

"I never gave up on it."

It wasn't easy, though.

After a standout season as a redshirt sophomore at Temple University with 44 catches for 791 yards and nine touchdowns, Anderson was ruled academically ineligible. He was forced to sit out a year and needed to get his grades up, but until then, football was out.

"It was just a lack of me applying myself," he said. "I was young. I was immature. I wasn't really too into school at the time and I really made some mistakes. I paid for those mistakes."

Born in Teaneck, New Jersey, and raised in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, Anderson has had NFL dreams for as far back as he can remember, and they seemed to be a possibility as he starred as a receiver and defensive back for Plantation High School in Florida.

After redshirting as a freshman at Temple, Anderson played in six games in 2012, mostly on special teams. He was working with the second-team defense as a cornerback in 2013, but quit in the spring. Anderson reconsidered his decision and asked Temple coach Matt Rhule if he could come back.

Rhule allowed Anderson to return — as a non-scholarship athlete and as a wide receiver. Anderson thrived, working his way to the starting offense by the fifth game. He went on to have a big year, but then got hit with the ruling that he was academically ineligible for the 2014 season and his football career was suddenly uncertain.

"Those thoughts went through my mind, but I have always believed in God and I knew that he delivers, no matter what," Anderson said. "Sometimes it doesn't happen exactly when you want, but every lesson is a blessing. I knew that I had to be patient and I had to overcome it and go through some things and earn it back."

Anderson took summer classes and earned his associate degree, applying himself in the classroom while waiting to hear about his athletic future. He did so well, he's just six classes away from getting his degree in criminal justice.

"I'm almost there," he said with a big smile.

Two days after Anderson made that birthday wish, Rhule called him to let him know that he would be eligible to play again for the football team.

"It was a relief," Anderson said, shaking his head. "It was a blessing that I was able to go back and put myself in this position."

He was a force for the Owls, finishing with 70 catches for 939 yards — both ranking second on the school's single-season list — and seven touchdown catches.

Anderson, selected to play in the East-West Shrine Game, went undrafted in April, but the Jets signed him as a free agent shortly after the draft was completed. The 6-foot-3, 190-pound receiver has been solid throughout the offseason and training camp, impressing with his speed and ability to get up in the air to snatch passes.

"He's just got soft hands, he brings everything in," quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick said. "He's got a good, little swagger to him that I hadn't really seen that you see in games come out a little bit. And he's raw. He just hasn't played a lot of receiver."

Anderson is making up for lost time, though. He looked every bit a seasoned wide receiver when he outleaped a defender along the sideline, then scooted out of a would-be tackle for a 42-yard touchdown against the Redskins.

"He showed up and made some catches," said coach Todd Bowles, who also played at Temple. "But again, it's everything that he has to do, whether he runs the right route, depth and everything else is what we have to look at."

Trying to make the roster will be a tough task with three spots at the positon set with Brandon Marshall,Eric Decker and Quincy Enunwa. Veterans Kenbrell Thompkins, Jeremy Ross and Kyle Williams are competing with Anderson and fellow impressive rookies Jalin Marshall, Charone Peake and Chandler Worthy for three, maybe four spots.

After all the twists and turns to get to this point, though, Anderson is intent on sticking around.

"I just hope that throughout my NFL career, and hopefully I have a long NFL career, that people can look at my journey and just be inspired by it," he said.

"Sometimes you go through things, you make mistakes and things don't work out the way you want them to. If you have a dream, though, you just can't ever give up on it because you really can control your destiny if you work hard and do what it takes. You can't ever give up.

"You can really lose it all, but you can get it back."

http://www.michigansthumb.com/sports/article/Jets-Robby-Anderson-making-up-for-lost-time-with-9178186.php

16 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (AP) — Robby Anderson remembers leaning over his birthday cake, closing his eyes and making a wish.

More than anything, the wide receiver just wanted to play football again. So, he blew out the candles on May 9, 2015, celebrated his 22nd birthday and hoped for good news.

"I knew football would never be over," said Anderson, who made a strong claim for a roster spot on the Jets with six catches for 131 yards and a touchdown in New York's 22-18 loss to Washington last Friday night.

"I never gave up on it."

It wasn't easy, though.

After a standout season as a redshirt sophomore at Temple University with 44 catches for 791 yards and nine touchdowns, Anderson was ruled academically ineligible. He was forced to sit out a year and needed to get his grades up, but until then, football was out.

"It was just a lack of me applying myself," he said. "I was young. I was immature. I wasn't really too into school at the time and I really made some mistakes. I paid for those mistakes."

Born in Teaneck, New Jersey, and raised in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, Anderson has had NFL dreams for as far back as he can remember, and they seemed to be a possibility as he starred as a receiver and defensive back for Plantation High School in Florida.

After redshirting as a freshman at Temple, Anderson played in six games in 2012, mostly on special teams. He was working with the second-team defense as a cornerback in 2013, but quit in the spring. Anderson reconsidered his decision and asked Temple coach Matt Rhule if he could come back.

Rhule allowed Anderson to return — as a non-scholarship athlete and as a wide receiver. Anderson thrived, working his way to the starting offense by the fifth game. He went on to have a big year, but then got hit with the ruling that he was academically ineligible for the 2014 season and his football career was suddenly uncertain.

"Those thoughts went through my mind, but I have always believed in God and I knew that he delivers, no matter what," Anderson said. "Sometimes it doesn't happen exactly when you want, but every lesson is a blessing. I knew that I had to be patient and I had to overcome it and go through some things and earn it back."

Anderson took summer classes and earned his associate degree, applying himself in the classroom while waiting to hear about his athletic future. He did so well, he's just six classes away from getting his degree in criminal justice.

"I'm almost there," he said with a big smile.

Two days after Anderson made that birthday wish, Rhule called him to let him know that he would be eligible to play again for the football team.

"It was a relief," Anderson said, shaking his head. "It was a blessing that I was able to go back and put myself in this position."

He was a force for the Owls, finishing with 70 catches for 939 yards — both ranking second on the school's single-season list — and seven touchdown catches.

Anderson, selected to play in the East-West Shrine Game, went undrafted in April, but the Jets signed him as a free agent shortly after the draft was completed. The 6-foot-3, 190-pound receiver has been solid throughout the offseason and training camp, impressing with his speed and ability to get up in the air to snatch passes.

"He's just got soft hands, he brings everything in," quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick said. "He's got a good, little swagger to him that I hadn't really seen that you see in games come out a little bit. And he's raw. He just hasn't played a lot of receiver."

Anderson is making up for lost time, though. He looked every bit a seasoned wide receiver when he outleaped a defender along the sideline, then scooted out of a would-be tackle for a 42-yard touchdown against the Redskins.

"He showed up and made some catches," said coach Todd Bowles, who also played at Temple. "But again, it's everything that he has to do, whether he runs the right route, depth and everything else is what we have to look at."

Trying to make the roster will be a tough task with three spots at the positon set with Brandon Marshall,Eric Decker and Quincy Enunwa. Veterans Kenbrell Thompkins, Jeremy Ross and Kyle Williams are competing with Anderson and fellow impressive rookies Jalin Marshall, Charone Peake and Chandler Worthy for three, maybe four spots.

After all the twists and turns to get to this point, though, Anderson is intent on sticking around.

"I just hope that throughout my NFL career, and hopefully I have a long NFL career, that people can look at my journey and just be inspired by it," he said.

"Sometimes you go through things, you make mistakes and things don't work out the way you want them to. If you have a dream, though, you just can't ever give up on it because you really can control your destiny if you work hard and do what it takes. You can't ever give up.

"You can really lose it all, but you can get it back."

http://www.michigansthumb.com/sports/article/Jets-Robby-Anderson-making-up-for-lost-time-with-9178186.php

Awesome article.  The only reason this kid went undrafted was his missing a year and his being "skinny" and not having prototypical size.   What they seemed to miss is in todays NFL, defensive backs can not really use their hands as much to impede the progress of receivers.   I think what we saw on Friday is just the tip of the ice berg.  Unlike Devin Smith, Anderson can create separation in his shorter routes and at 6'3 he also has the ability to go up and get the ball at its high point.  That means he can still be effective with a guy like Fitz who doesn't have the strongest arm in the league.    Mac better not screw this up.  I fully expect Anderson to make this final roster.  I mean if Stephen Hill was poached from our PS, there is NO WAY Anderson won't.    At this point I have him above Marshall, and even with Peake. 

I know we have probably all seen his highlight videos but after Fridays breakout game. I decide to look again with fresh eyes and there are two things that really jump out at me.

1. His route running

2. The degree of difficulty on many of his catches.  These were not routine catches; on many his either his arms are fully extended from his body and he is catching the ball in stride (something Stephen Hill could never do) or he is going up and "high pointing" the ball and some cases, literally snatching it away from the defender.   Give this kid a year experience and a full off season work out regime to get stronger, and the sky truly is the limit.  

I am beginning to think he may be a bigger steal than Peake and Marshall. 

Thanks for posting the vid JetBlue.  What a great problem to have...too many good WR rookies.  I'm all for cutting KT and only keeping 2 TE's and cutting Geno (if Brice continues to trend) in any combination, if that's the way to keep all three of these guys.  If one has to go, I'd say Marshall to PS.

I wonder if Anderson has any potential as a return man?.    

• 2 months later...

I have to give Mac credit where credit is due.  I think we have our receiving corp for the next few years in Peake, Anderson, J. Marsh and D. Smith.  Once they get truly acclimated to the NFL and we get a quarterback who can fully utilize their abilities, (Petty or Hack), watch these guys shine.   All we really need to do is draft a top flight running back and hopefully develop ASJ and our offensive skill players will be able to compete with anybody.   Of course we need to go heavy on the offensive line this draft so ever is quarterbacking will the time to throw the ball and also open holes for the run game. 

Of the four receivers, who do you think has the biggest upside and who do you think will ultimately have the best career?   Of course Enunwa might be the best of bunch and I didn't even include him because I was focused on Mac acquisitions.   

On 7/21/2016 at 0:23 AM, JetBlue said:

While much if not all of the dialogue on this board has either been about Mo Wilk and getting over the shock of his signing or the endless Geno/Fitz debates, I was thinking about a couple of players that have real potential and might have an impact this season, regardless of which quarterback is the starter. 

Peake, a projected 3rd rounder is more likely to make the roster but I would not sleep on Robby Anderson.  There is just something about this guy and his long lanky 6'3' frame,  excellent acceleration and speed (4.35) make him a true dark horse.  They both looked pretty good in mini camp and are coming off solid seasons.  I can't wait for camp to begin and see what these guys can do.  If they turn out to be as good as I think they could be, we will have some real depth at receiver.    What I like about them is unlike Smith a year ago, they already know how to run shorter routes and use then their speed and acceleration to create YAC (Smith came in running go routes and Fitz just could not utilize him.)

The most popular player on the team, after the #2 or #3 QB, is the #5 or #6 WR who went undrafted/played at a small school/is a minor prospect.

It's literally a meme.

Marshall, Anderson, Peake, etc, etc, etc.  They're all nothing more than vehicles for hope right now.  They've done very little on the field to-date worth any kind of hype.

They may work out, they may just be the next castoff.  We won't know till Fitz is benched, and a QB who can utilize them is playing......presuming we have one on the roster right now.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

The most popular player on the team, after the #2 or #3 QB, is the #5 or #6 WR who went undrafted/played at a small school/is a minor prospect.

It's literally a meme.

Marshall, Anderson, Peake, etc, etc, etc.  They're all nothing more than vehicles for hope right now.  They've done very little on the field to-date worth any kind of hype.

They may work out, they may just be the next castoff.  We won't know till Fitz is benched, and a QB who can utilize them is playing......presuming we have one on the roster right now.

buzz·kill
ˈbəzkil/
noun
NORTH AMERICANinformal
noun: buzz-kill
  1. a person or thing that has a depressing or dispiriting effect.

35 minutes ago, JetBlue said:
buzz·kill
ˈbəzkil/
noun
NORTH AMERICANinformal
noun: buzz-kill
  1. a person or thing that has a depressing or dispiriting effect.

Hey, I hear we have a GREAT running back prospect, his name is Lamont Jordan!  I can't WAIT to see how this amazing #2 player steps up, we should bench our starter and play him now, season is lost anyway amirite!

Archived