Training camp thread 08/03/16

Maxman

This is why the NFL needs a developmental league. College football used to serve that purpose, but no longer does. 

I've been saying the same thing for years. I'd love to see a minor league system somewhat akin to what the Aussies have for the AFL. Minor league teams would share an affiliation with a Pro team who would filter new players through earning them meaningful game and development time. When the new recruits are ready to crack into the senior side, they'll be in game shape and comfortable in the system. It'll still take time to get used to the speed of the top level, but they could be that much further along.

It'll never happen, but I'd like it.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Bowles unwillingness to let, or want young players to play on offense is really annoying, I mean really K Davis is his starting TE over Amaro, not even say it's a competition.  He is very untrusting on the offensive side of the ball yet on D because he is in control it's ok for some young kids to get a shot, but even still sticking to Cromartie last year was a bad decision, he needs to stop being so loyal, and dependent on Veterans just because they make him feel comfortable, it's hurting the team for the long term IMO.

You know for a fact that it's Bowles who wants to start Davis over Amaro considering its Gailey's offense?

And "starting" TE is irrelevant. It's all about packages & matchups. What's the big deal if Davis "starts" one game and first play is a run for 5 yards and then Amaro plays the next 2 plays? 

And it is only Aug 3rd. 

28 minutes ago, C Mart said:

You know for a fact that it's Bowles who wants to start Davis over Amaro considering its Gailey's offense?

And "starting" TE is irrelevant. It's all about packages & matchups. What's the big deal if Davis "starts" one game and first play is a run for 5 yards and then Amaro plays the next 2 plays? 

And it is only Aug 3rd. 

Thank you 

The Jets had the best offense we have seen in years and Bowles was a first year HC and people know for a fact without any substantiation that Bowles Is ordering guys who shouldn't be playing over guys who should.  

How do they know this?  Answer they don't!!!!

Some Jets fans just make stuff up to find something to complain about. 

4 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you 

The Jets had the best offense we have seen in years and Bowles was a first year HC and people know for a fact without any substantiation that Bowles Is ordering guys who shouldn't be playing over guys who should.  

How do they know this?  Answer they don't!!!!

Some Jets fans just make stuff up to find something to complain about. 

It came directly from Bowles mouth as a quote, I missed the part that I made up.

Every NFL team gets one minor league team with like 40 players.  Games are in fall in Friday nights.  You can move players up and down how ever you want. Players can play in sun then get sent down and play in Friday.  If player coming up they are moved up on Friday morning. Minor league teams play in stadium of major team.  

Just jmho

8 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Every NFL team gets one minor league team with like 40 players.  Games are in fall in Friday nights.  You can move players up and down how ever you want. Players can play in sun then get sent down and play in Friday.  If player coming up they are moved up on Friday morning. Minor league teams play in stadium of major team.  

Just jmho

Friday night is HS football night won't get the attendance/viewership. Change it to Tuesday or Wednesday. 

34 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

It came directly from Bowles mouth as a quote, I missed the part that I made up.

Oh I am sorry I didn't see that quote from Bowles.  Thank you. 

I must have missed that .., please give the link when you have time where Bowles said he was putting guys who were not the best on the field because of his preferences of individual players on offense. 

5 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Where did I say Amaro should be named the starter?

You were complaining that he has Davis starting over Amaro without even declaring that there is a competition. To this point, Amaro has nothing to warrant him being considered a possible starter. His hands have been suspect, and he can't block (which is more important in Gailey's system).

Until he shows the staff that he's better than Davis at both tasks (especially blocking) in games, he isn't going to start. 

Jets camp Day 6 injury report | Darrelle Revis, Matt Forte, Dexter McDougle

Darrelle Revis
Darrelle Revis is working his way back from wrist surgery. (Al Bello | Getty Images)

FLORHAM PARK — Here is the injury report from Wednesday, when the Jets held their sixth practice of training camp: 

• CB Darrelle Revis (wrist surgery): On Tuesday, he debuted in team periods, getting brief work. He didn't do any team periods stuff Wednesday, but got his position drills work, as usual. Revis didn't experience any setbacks from Tuesday, said coach Todd Bowles. The Jets are just bringing him along cautiously. "We just didn't want to overdo it," Bowles said. That's why Revis didn't participate in team periods Wednesday. This is not a big deal. It was just the sixth practice of camp. 

• RB Matt Forte (hamstring): He returned to practice Tuesday, but didn't take part in team periods. He didn't practice Wednesday. No setbacks for him, said Bowles. Same thing as Revis — just a cautious approach, to avoid a lingering issue. "It's just part of the treatment process," said Bowles, adding that the Jets are alternating days when Forte will practice and stay inside for rehab work. 

• LG James Carpenter (hamstring): He came off the physically unable to perform list Tuesday and did brief team periods work. He again did brief team periods work Wednesday. The Jets are bringing him along slowly, which is wise, considering their lack of proven depth on the offensive line. 

• CB Dexter McDougle (hamstring): He didn't practice for the third straight day — Sunday, Tuesday, and then Wednesday. The Jets were off Monday. 

• RB Bernard Pierce (hamstring): Didn't practice for the second straight day. 

• TE Zach Sudfeld (knee): Also didn't practice for the second straight day. 

• S Ronald Martin (unknown): He was a new addition to the rehab group Wednesday. 

• WR Kyle Williams (leg): He exited practice and was icing his leg on the sideline. 

• What about the PUP list guys? Still the same, with one exception. The Jets on Wednesday waived roster-longshot defensive back Kendall James with an injury designation. He had been on the PUP list, with an unknown injury. They signed running back Terry Williams to replace him on the 90-man roster.

Here is the updated PUP list: wide receiver Devin Smith (ACL tear), running back Khiry Robinson (leg), right tackle Breno Giacomini (back), and defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson (leg). Smith and Robinson don't appear close to returning. Bowles hasn't given any indication about when Giacomini and Wilkerson will be ready to practice. 

35 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

You were complaining that he has Davis starting over Amaro without even declaring that there is a competition. To this point, Amaro has nothing to warrant him being considered a possible starter.

His hands have been suspect, and he can't block (which is more important in Gailey's system).

Until he shows the staff that he's better than Davis at both tasks (especially blocking) in games, he isn't going to start. 

Uh . ... disagree. We are a week into camp and Amaro came in 10 pounds lighter and has caught EVERYTHING thrown his way with a few diving catches to boot. EVERYTHING written about him indicates he's shown up to camp ready to reclaim his spot and shut up all the haters. 

TO this point, he has lost weight without compromising strength, improved his blocking, consulted w/BMarshall on improving catching - AND HAS SHOWN IT THUS FAR , and completely re-did his diet. 

Amaro has done EVERYTHING to warrant him being the starter. period. 

Do people really expect there to be changes to the depth chart and cutting of mid round picks before there has even been a single preseason game?  I think we've reached the point that we're all just a little hyper for things to happen, but it's still way too early for that crap.  Obviously practice is important, but none of it really means a damn thing until players step out onto the field.

As far as TE goes, Davis was last year's starter, so there's no reason that will have already changed with no real offseason moves at the position. Besides, Amaro was always identified last year as being expected to play the HBack role.  So the question there would be whether he is taking that role back from Enunwa.  When you consider that Enunwa has been seeing more reps lining up as an outside WR in camp this year, there's a distinct possibility that all of these guys will be getting plenty of work in 3 different roles this season.

Regarding Petty, there's absolutely no reason to be in a rush to cut him.  Just for preseason purposes alone, teams are always carrying at least 4 QBs throughout camp, particularly for games 1 and 4 where Fitz, and possibly even Geno, will get little-to-no work.  Plus I'm sure there's some interest in seeing him out on the field, not to mention the simple matter of forcing Hackenberg to earn his way up the depth chart, rather than him moving up by default.  Petty is going to have to completely convince them he has no chance of ever improving to not at least make the PS, so it's not happening anytime soon.

Just now, Bleedin Green said:

Do people really expect there to be changes to the depth chart and cutting of mid round picks before there has even been a single preseason game?  I think we've reached the point that we're all just a little hyper for things to happen, but it's still way too early for that crap.  Obviously practice is important, but none of it really means a damn thing until players step out onto the field.

As far as TE goes, Davis was last year's starter, so there's no reason that will have already changed with no real offseason moves at the position. Besides, Amaro was always identified last year as being expected to play the HBack role.  So the question there would be whether he is taking that role back from Enunwa.  When you consider that Enunwa has been seeing more reps lining up as an outside WR in camp this year, there's a distinct possibility that all of these guys will be getting plenty of work in 3 different roles this season.

Regarding Petty, there's absolutely no reason to be in a rush to cut him.  Just for preseason purposes alone, teams are always carrying at least 4 QBs throughout camp, particularly for games 1 and 4 where Fitz, and possibly even Geno, will get little-to-no work.  Plus I'm sure there's some interest in seeing him out on the field, not to mention the simple matter of forcing Hackenberg to earn his way up the depth chart, rather than him moving up by default.  Petty is going to have to completely convince them he has no chance of ever improving to not at least make the PS, so it's not happening anytime soon.

Refreshing when there's common sense posted for all to enjoy and learn from. :) 

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

It would be great to get major contributions from Amaro and Milliner this year after many had written both off. 

Both were drafted with the expectation that they'd be starters by the 2016 season.  To this point both have been big disappointments.  Right now I'd simply take a 50% success rate if someone could guarantee me that just one of them would eventually be a successful Jets starter.

34 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Both were drafted with the expectation that they'd be starters by the 2016 season.  To this point both have been big disappointments.  Right now I'd simply take a 50% success rate if someone could guarantee me that just one of them would eventually be a successful Jets starter.

It's a contract year for Dee so I have an inkling his play - and he's been lauded throughout camp so far for his coverage - will step up this season. Typical luck will have it that Miliner will be healthy all season and materially contribute causing the Jets to be in a predicament on whether to re-up him next spring. 

Amaro should get a Mulligan, but I think he's gotten the wake up call (all the articles praise the attitude and shape he's come in, so apparently those WERE possibly issues in the past) and has been LIGHTING IT UP in camp. 

If both these players FINALLY realize their athletic potential and talent with the mental aspect of the pro game, it's a GOOD PROBLEM to have. 

Jace_Amaro

JetNation was back at Florham Park, Shane Sullivan covered the practice for us on Wednesday. Darrelle Revis didn’t take part in team periods. Zach Sudfeld and Bernard Pierce were both out and Dexter McDougle is still dealing with a hamstring injury.

Ladainian Tomlinson and Dennis Rodman were a few of the “celebrities” in attendance.

Ryan Fitzpatrick showed up with a new haircut, and the offense had a strong day. Jace Amaro stood out in particular.

Breno Giacomini was on the field in the rehab area as he works towards coming off of the PUP list.

It was a good day for Fitzpatrick and Geno Smith, the same can’t be said for Bryce Petty who could be playing himself off of this roster.

You can’t judge the running game right now, we will learn more about them when the offensive line is healthy and they are playing for real in the preseason. But the defense won the battle on the ground on Wednesday.

Stay tuned as we will be back at #JetsCamp on Thursday.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
7LRuOtmcosE

Click here to read the full story...

Archived