Plenty of intriguing plot twists in the Jets' quarterback soap opera

Gas2No99

1 hour ago, mkajet01 said:

Where doe's all this love for Gina Smith come from? He proved he stinks! He doesn't have the instincts! Pocket presense

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Care to explain? I seen a guy shake off the cobb webs and put together a nice drive. I also seen some great play by Fitzpatrick and Petty as well.

I didnt see an "instincts" issue. I seen Geno dirt a pass when there was a free rusher on him during a screen pass. I seen Geno slide and live for another down during a play breakdown. That showed in my opinion some awareness and instincts in the pocket, being that both those situations were in the redzone, something that in the past Geno would have likely taken a 20 yard sack on to push us out of the redzone and possibly out of field goal range.

With that said though, I did see 1 bad pass, and it was because Geno missed a potentially wide open TD. I'll put up Gifs later. 

Why the hate? lol Its hilarious at this point. 

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Warfish said:

Personally, I'd like to see Petty in 2nd relief in Preseason Week 2, and Geno the #3.

Flip the first week, see how they do.

I don't see Geno being cut, the allure of an experienced #2 in a win-now year will be too strong.

But Geno has no future here, and Petty could, especially with Hack being so far away from NFL ready.

Ideal world, it's Fitz, Pettty & Hack.

Real world it's almost assuredly Fitz, Geno and Hack, with Petty on the P.S. and a hope no one takes him (a fair bet tbh).

It would require that team to keep him on the 53 man roster. Difficult to do when rosters are tight.

However, 1 injury during the season and being out of contention early could make a team take the gamble.

^^ If Petty goes on the PS he is gone. I would be willing to risk getting rid of Geno and keeping Petty IF he continues to perform well in the preseason. Geno is not Mac's guy. I understand he has starting experience and that is valuable, however, if Petty continues to come on strong I would stick with him. I don't want to lose a potential quality starter at another position for Geno by keeping four QB's.

There are three games left so it will be interesting to see how it plays out and who rises to the top. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

LOL forget about him the next Jerry Rice 

I think the three WR's at the bottom of the roster are better than those 2013-2014 named Jets WR's. The FO is not wasting draft picks or UDFA selections. The hats go off to the scouting department

Just now, Jetdawgg said:

I think the three WR's at the bottom of the roster are better than those 2013-2014 named Jets WR's. The FO is not wasting draft picks or UDFA selections. The hats go off to the scouting department

Agree lets see Geno with the starters and then make a decision if he's shoddy he goes no reason to waste anymore time with him or keep a roster for him I will be the first to say it. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Agree lets see Geno with the starters and then make a decision if he's shoddy he goes no reason to waste anymore time with him or keep a roster for him I will be the first to say it. 

As long as he is a Jets QB he needs to perform well as does Petty. They need to put points on the board

23 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

^^ If Petty goes on the PS he is gone. I would be willing to risk getting rid of Geno and keeping Petty IF he continues to perform well in the preseason. Geno is not Mac's guy. I understand he has starting experience and that is valuable, however, if Petty continues to come on strong I would stick with him. I don't want to lose a potential quality starter at another position for Geno by keeping four QB's.

There are three games left so it will be interesting to see how it plays out and who rises to the top. 

Dont be surprised if Macc does something genius-like and puts Hackenberg on a season long IR. Someone said it earlier and I thought it was pretty smart. Kinda like when we were all thinking "Where the heck is Macc going to get 12 million to pay Fitz", not understanding that this guy finds ways to get things done. 

I liked what I seen from Petty in game 1, and I agree that this guy will most likely not make it through waivers. However, I dont see it as an option to cut Geno either given that he had a solid performance as well. Macc could do to Hack what Idzik did with Enuwna his rookie year, hide him on season ending IR. 

Petty has stepped up. I was worried based on the training camp reports, but when it came to that Jags game the guy impressed. He wasnt overly successful, more just exceeding expectations. 

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

Dont be surprised if Macc does something genius like and puts Hackenberg on a season long IR. Someone said it earlier and I thought it was pretty smart. Kinda like when we were all thinking "Where the heck is Macc going to get 12 million to pay Fitz", not understanding that this guy finds ways to get things done. 

I liked what I seen from Petty in game 1, and I agree that this guy will most likely not make it through waivers. However, I dont see it as an option to cut Geno either given that he had a solid performance as well. Macc and do to Hack what Idzik did with Enuwna his rookie year, hide him on season ending IR. 

Petty has stepped up. I was worried based on the training camp reports, but when it came to that Jags game the guy impressed. He wasnt overly successful, more just exceeding expectations. 

It's obvious that Hack is not starting this year and if Mac can somehow pull that off I think that will be the best case scenario given our QB situation. 

Just now, FTL Jet Fan said:

It's obvious that Hack is not starting this year and if Mac can somehow pull that off I think that will be the best case scenario given our QB situation. 

I agree. I was a bit disappointed that we didnt see Hack play, but after listening to Bowles I once again realized that we're not dealing with a stupid coaching staff/FO. 

He said that "It would have been unfair to Hack to throw him out there when he had extremely limited reps in training camp", which is a fact when hearing that the guy literally had two snaps per practice for example. These guys are really protecting Hack, not just from himself but from bad coaching decisions. Hack isnt ready but they believe in him. 

I love how Bowles is handling this. We're keeping all 4 QB's but I dont think it will be all 4 on the 53 and Macc will find a way to where possible waiver snatching wont be an issue. 

11 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Just piggy-backed some phrasing and points I made, but with you I don't care. I respect your effort, and how you try to write pieces that align to what we're talking about here. 

Cimini is just pathetic.

Haha.  Is it hard to get through doorways with that enormous head?

29 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

They are not wasting starter reps in the preseason on Geno.  They need to get the actual starting unit reps to prepare for the season. 

@mkajet01

This is the "Bad pass" that I was referring to with Geno. This was imo his only bad pass, but it was more of a "bad decision", though the pass was also off. 

Geno%201.gif

You have 11 Jags all up on the line with the safety no more than 10 yards off the LOS. Geno has the defense spread out with no safety help whatsoever. Dont look at the pass, but instead look at the 2nd WR from the top. He absolutely smoked the DB and if Geno would have thrown in that would have been a 73 yard TD pass easily. It does look like Geno sees it because you can see his head going through progressions, maybe he didnt, but either way, the fact that this ended up being an interceptable pass rather than a 73 yard bomb makes me feel like this was a BAD PLAY. 

As a sidenote, we need things like this when criticizing our QB's. I've been hearing alot of Geno flaming that is truly unwarranted because people never provide examples or their statements are so general...(He lacks instincts). Here I am, a Geno supporter but im fair enough to show where he made a mistake or a bad decision. All of the criticism I've heard about Geno since this game has been pretty asinine. People talking about a bad pass that Jailin Marshall dropped, or what they "wish Geno would have done" etc, yet it seems like everyone missed THIS THROW, not for the fact that it was a bad pass on a good decision (Overthrows Amaro who was open for the 1st down, so the decision wasnt a bad one, just ball placement), its the fact that Geno missed an even better decision which was a possible 73 yard TD pass with absolutely no safety help. I havent seen anyone talk about that WR on this play and Geno's decision in relation to that WR, only the pass. The play wasnt bad because of Geno's decision, he made a good read on Amaro for the possible 1st, it wasnt even the interceptable pass, its the fact that he left 7 points off the board. If we're going to criticize him, lets do it with actual facts. 

Lets criticize and point out the issues, but can we PLEASE stop with the hating? It really doesnt provide anything, especially to people who are actually looking at the game with a critical eye. 

36 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Oh in that case let's see Petty with the starters too. 

If the formula is Geno needs our #1 offense to beat the #2 defenses we face in preseason, then LOL

Charone Peake didn't make Geno bobble a snap,or throw two concussion balls, or look lost out there. In fact Peake made the one decent pass Geno threw look even better than it was.

Geno didn't look very promising. Stop making excuses, it's ridiculous.

Considering he played with a bunch of guys who probably wont make the team great observation.:rolleyes:

I guess Petty is Joe Namath then ... cause he played with guys that are far less likely to make the team and looked infinitely better.

@mkajet01

This is the "Bad pass" that I was referring to with Geno. This was imo his only bad pass, but it was more of a "bad decision", though the pass was also off. 

Geno%201.gif

You have 11 Jags all up on the line with the safety no more than 10 yards off the LOS. Geno has the defense spread out with no safety help whatsoever. Dont look at the pass, but instead look at the 2nd WR from the top. He absolutely smoked the DB and if Geno would have thrown in that would have been a 73 yard TD pass easily. It does look like Geno sees it because you can see his head going through progressions, maybe he didnt, but either way, the fact that this ended up being an interceptable pass rather than a 73 yard bomb makes me feel like this was a BAD PLAY. 

As a sidenote, we need things like this when criticizing our QB's. I've been hearing alot of Geno flaming that is truly unwarranted because people never provide examples or their statements are so general...(He lacks instincts). Here I am, a Geno supporter but im fair enough to show where he made a mistake or a bad decision. All of the criticism I've heard about Geno since this game has been pretty asinine. People talking about a bad pass that Jailin Marshall dropped, or what they "wish Geno would have done" etc, yet it seems like everyone missed THIS THROW, not for the fact that it was a bad pass on a good decision (Overthrows Amaro who was open for the 1st down, so the decision wasnt a bad one, just ball placement), its the fact that Geno missed an even better decision which was a possible 73 yard TD pass with absolutely no safety help. I havent seen anyone talk about that WR on this play and Geno's decision in relation to that WR, only the pass. The play wasnt bad because of Geno's decision, he made a good read on Amaro for the possible 1st, it wasnt even the interceptable pass, its the fact that he left 7 points on the board. If we're going to criticize him, lets do it with actual facts. 

Lets criticize and point out the issues, but can we PLEASE stop with the hating? It really doesnt provide anything, especially to people who are actually looking at the game with a critical eye. 

The wideout that ran the come back route screwed up the play also, that was an obvious TE clearout play and that WR ran himself right into Amaro. He was probably supposed to be deeper than that.

Personally, I'd like to see Petty in 2nd relief in Preseason Week 2, and Geno the #3.

Flip the first week, see how they do.

I don't see Geno being cut, the allure of an experienced #2 in a win-now year will be too strong.

But Geno has no future here, and Petty could, especially with Hack being so far away from NFL ready.

Ideal world, it's Fitz, Pettty & Hack.

Real world it's almost assuredly Fitz, Geno and Hack, with Petty on the P.S. and a hope no one takes him (a fair bet tbh).

you assessment is spot on .. but the ray of hope I cling to is that Mac is an awesome talent evaluator ... and he knows what is what in either world ... and that could mean the exit door for Geno.

Just now, Rexorcism said:

The wideout that ran the come back route screwed up the play also, that was an obvious TE clearout play and that WR ran himself right into Amaro. He was probably supposed to be deeper than that.

You're absolutely correct, and its because the DB has two hands on him way after the 5 yards which should have been defensive holding if anything. 

But of course when dealing with Geno....

16 minutes ago, GandWFan said:

They are not wasting starter reps in the preseason on Geno.  They need to get the actual starting unit reps to prepare for the season. 

Fitz hardly played they know he's the starter why not waste starter reps and see what he's got and if he's worthy of a roster spot. 

@mkajet01

Geno%201.gif

As a sidenote, we need things like this when criticizing our QB's. I've been hearing alot of Geno flaming that is truly unwarranted because people never provide examples or their statements are so general...(He lacks instincts). Here I am, a Geno supporter but im fair enough to show where he made a mistake or a bad decision. All of the criticism I've heard about Geno since this game has been pretty asinine. People talking about a bad pass that Jailin Marshall dropped, or what they "wish Geno would have done" etc, yet it seems like everyone missed THIS THROW, not for the fact that it was a bad pass on a good decision (Overthrows Amaro who was open for the 1st down, so the decision wasnt a bad one, just ball placement), its the fact that Geno missed an even better decision which was a possible 73 yard TD pass with absolutely no safety help. I havent seen anyone talk about that WR on this play and Geno's decision in relation to that WR, only the pass. The play wasnt bad because of Geno's decision, he made a good read on Amaro for the possible 1st, it wasnt even the interceptable pass, its the fact that he left 7 points off the board. If we're going to criticize him, lets do it with actual facts. 

watch Geno's head ... what do you see ? I see a telegraph prior to a poor pass.

1 minute ago, Dunnie said:

Considering he has 3 receivers to his right, it makes sense that his head is to the right. You can't tell where his eyes are looking. 

9 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

7 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

Considering he has 3 receivers to his right, it makes sense that his head is to the right. You can't tell where his eyes are looking. 

Thanks Kevin. If you know anything about Chan's Offensive scheme Dunnie you'll know that he uses route combinations.

I'll give you an exampe. When you have 3 WR's lined up on one side and they all run slant routes at different levels. Its to force the Safety to make a decision which lets you know where to go with the ball. 

Geno wasnt telegraphing. 

Thanks Kevin. If you know anything about Chan's Offensive scheme Dunnie you'll know that he uses route combinations.

I'll give you an exampe. When you have 3 WR's lined up on one side and they all run a slant routes at different levels. Its to force the Safety to make a decision which lets you know where to go with the ball. 

Geno wasnt telegraphing. 

.. I know what combination routes are ... the two receivers on the left side weren't even worth a glance I guess.

3 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

.. I know what combination routes are ... the two receivers on the left side weren't even worth a glance I guess.

We dont know specifically how the play is designed, and quite frankly, the WR that I pointed out in my initial comment was on the right, the same guy who was wide open for a 70+ yard TD. If you look closely you can obviously see Geno going through his progression. Look at the man's helmet. 

The route combination seems to be on the right, the two guys on the left are probably used to stretch out and stress the defense. There probably wasnt any need to look to the left, and if you actually see what transpired on the left there wasnt anything that Geno missed anyway. What he missed was a 73 yard TD....to the right. 

Archived