My weekend TC Recap post. Coolest thing to happen to me since 2009!

chrisfaceoff

Full disclosure:

This took a lot of time to type up, and was originally posted to another message board that is more focused on sports cards and collecting, and not a Heavy focused Jets-based board.  Some of these comments here  might cause a "duh! no kidding comment" but needed some other explaining to those who might not follow us as deeply.  Hope you enjoy the read :)

GO JETS!

Long post coming!

I've been attending camp every year since 2009, and so far this year has been rough.

The very first practice opened to the public, I was able to get there(it's about 2 hours away from home) and get to my seats to have just enough time to see 2 punts before lightening hit and we were forced to evacuate.  Keep in mind there was only 6 practices open to the public(i was able to get tickets for all 6)  Practice 1 was a washout.  Practice 2 the next day was cancelled due to the storm from the previous day still hanging around.  Didn't make the lone practice last week because the chance of rain was at 80% and still had a sour taste in my mouth from the previous wasted trip.

So fast forward to Saturday:

94 degrees and the heat index topping at 108 I took off with my girl.

It was a scorcher and they practiced for nearly 3 hours before coming to sign.  Sadly only 4 players came over to sign but 3/4 were decent gets.

Sheldon Richardson
Leonard Williams
Lorenzo Mauldin
Craig Watts

I was disappointed, but for as hot as it was sitting there, I cant imagine having gear on and running in that mess.  Regardless of being in shape or not.  it really sucked to hear so many fans complaining about the fact "we sat here for 3 hours in this heat for this?!" That makes me sick.  Both days each player that signed, I thanked them personally for coming over to do so after going through 3 hours of play in this weather.  if they only heard it from one fan, I wanted them to know I appreciated it.

Sunday I was solo and debated going after how insanely hot it was.  I talked myself into going even though it was back to 92 degrees and a heat index of 105.  I knew if I missed out on another chance to go I would regret it a week later when I wouldn't have any more chances.  Also it was Legends day and they were scheduled to have 60 former players on hand.

I got there early in hopes of maybe some of the legends hanging around camp to sign before practice began.  Stopped at the tent for a second ball for the legends and walked in.  Nope.  No one.  I also overheard that because of the heat they were down to 40 and that they would sign after practice with the rest of the team.  Kinda bummed but I understand.  Most of these guys are up there in age so for their safety I totally get it.

Practice goes on again for a solid 2:45-3 hrs and then it was time for autographs!  Only 2 legends came to sign, and one(Wesley Walker) only went to the kids and no one else.  I got one lonely autograph on my Legends ball.  Earl Christy(story to follow)

Luckily, for as disappointing as it was no other legends came to sign to the general area, there were a handful of other players who I was able to add to my 2016 ball.
Nick Mangold
Matt Forte!(didn't sign much, but luckily came over to where I was)
Bryce Petty
Charone Peake
Buster Skrine
Rontez Miles
David Harris
Darron lee
Jordan Jenkins
Tanner Purdum
Dexter McDougle

Now for 2 awesome stories.

When Earl was signing the ball he had on his SB3 championship ring. I asked him if it would be possible if I could touch it, and he actually let me do so.  To be able to touch an amazing part of history was such an honor.  I have been going to Camp since 2009 when It was in Cortland NY and have attended close to 20 total practices within that time.  This is right up there as one of, if not thee coolest moments I have ever personally experienced.  He let so many people look at it and touch it and he genuinely loved to be out there socializing with all the fans.

The second cool part was Darron Lee was signing near him and asked him if he could touch it as well for good luck.

Earl, stone faced, looked at Darron and said:

"Son, now you listen here and you listen good.(Darron's face then went from jovial to serious and attentive) I'm not going to let you touch this ring, and I'll tell you why.  I don't want you to think I'm some bitter old man, but when you touch a Superbowl ring, I want it to be yours.  I want you to know the first ring you touch was the one you earned.  I hope this lights a fire under your bottom to go out there, work hard, do your job, and do your part to get this team back to where we should be, and where all these great fans standing here who braved this temperature to support you and this this team want you to be.

Darron smiled and simply said "Yes Sir"

Such an awesome moment that only a few fans were around to see. I had chills typing that up thinking of the words he said to him, and for how much Darron focused and listened to it.  I wish I would have had a video of that moment.

Only 2 practices left to go.  Sunday(which I'll have to run home after to get ready for my first fantasy draft), and a make up rain day on Monday.

Some other tibits:
I hate to say it, but I think this year we will see a big decline in Revis' play.  Marshall consistently got the better of him for everything I have seen at practice as well as what I have been reading.  I hope and pray i'm wrong on this one though.

Fitz seems to have a stronger arm and was throwing up some nice deep balls, including one to Decker that went for nearly 50 yards.

Jalin Marshall and Charone Peake NEED to make this team.  We have a ton of young talent at WR, but these cats are going to  be PLAYMAKERS.

Powell looks even better than he did last year.  It will be exciting to watch him this coming season.

Lee is FAST.

Geno has looked solid, Petty seems to have come a long way, and Hack has been wellll..... yea.

I'll have some pics up when I get the chance, but maybe wont get them up until after next week's practice.  if there is anything anyone wants to know or me to keep an eye on at the last 2 practices, ask away :)

37 minutes ago, chrisfaceoff said:

The second cool part was Darron Lee was signing near him and asked him if he could touch it as well for good luck.

"Son, now you listen here and you listen good.(Darron's face then went from jovial to serious and attentive) I'm not going to let you touch this ring, and I'll tell you why.  I don't want you to think I'm some bitter old man, but when you touch a Superbowl ring, I want it to be yours.  I want you to know the first ring you touch was the one you earned.  I hope this lights a fire under your bottom to go out there, work hard, do your job, and do your part to get this team back to where we should be, and where all these great fans standing here who braved this temperature to support you and this this team want you to be.

Such an awesome moment that only a few fans were around to see. I had chills typing that up thinking of the words he said to him, and for how much Darron focused and listened to it.  I wish I would have had a video of that moment.

amazing

Great story ... Appreciated reading that last night ... And still do this am ... So I know it was good!

assume Forte was walking around fine ... Didn't see any sort of limping/favoring one leg type of behavior did you?

the Earl Christy - Darron Lee stuff of course was the gem ... Loved both sides of that!

going to need to google Christy to learn more about his career!

1 hour ago, ljr said:

Great story ... Appreciated reading that last night ... And still do this am ... So I know it was good!

assume Forte was walking around fine ... Didn't see any sort of limping/favoring one leg type of behavior did you?

the Earl Christy - Darron Lee stuff of course was the gem ... Loved both sides of that!

going to need to google Christy to learn more about his career!

To be completely honest I didnt see much of him doing drills.  When he was walking over to sign he was taking a slow steady walk, but no limp from what I can see

21 hours ago, chrisfaceoff said:

Now for 2 awesome stories.

When Earl was signing the ball he had on his SB3 championship ring. I asked him if it would be possible if I could touch it, and he actually let me do so.  To be able to touch an amazing part of history was such an honor.  I have been going to Camp since 2009 when It was in Cortland NY and have attended close to 20 total practices within that time.  This is right up there as one of, if not thee coolest moments I have ever personally experienced.  He let so many people look at it and touch it and he genuinely loved to be out there socializing with all the fans.

Thank you for sharing this.  Great story! 

Archived