Jets rookie power rankings

Villain The Foe

Because there's more going on than takling about our #2 quarterback.

Robbie Anderson is currently the #1 rookie on the power ranking! 

http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/09/01/jets-rookie-power-rankings-stacking-top-five-after-preseason-game-3/

Aug 27, 2016; East Rutherford, NJ, USA;  New York Jets quarterback Christian Hackenberg (5) looks to pass against the New York Giants during the second half at MetLife Stadium. The Giants won 21-20.  Mandatory Credit: Vincent Carchietta-USA TODAY Sports

With the Jets wrapping up their third preseason game, there is movement in the rookie power rankings yet again. Who jumped into the top five? Who fell down the board? Let’s take a look.

1) Robby Anderson (⇑2)

There is finally a new king sitting atop the rookie power rankings after Jordan Jenkins held the spot for quite some time. Anderson has been a star this preseason and hauled in another touchdown against the Giants. He went from unknown to what seems like a 53-man roster lock and has by far been the most impressive of all the rookies.

2) Darron Lee  (⇔)

Lee only logged 12 snaps on Saturday, but he’s held his own throughout the preseason at inside linebacker. His block shedding is a work in progress but he has elite speed for a front seven player and will contribute right away.

3) Jordan Jenkins  (⇓2)

Jenkins is still slated to start right away for the Jets at outside linebacker, but being sidelined with a calf injury has dropped him a few spots in the power rankings. Out of all of the rookies, Jenkins could have the biggest impact when the regular season starts and make his way back to his top spot on the power rankings.

4) Lachlan Edwards  (⇔)

Edwards has found consistency over the last two games and appears to be a huge upgrade over the Jets various punters from 2015. This punt pinning the Giants inside their own 10-yard line was impressive from the rookie.

5) Christian Hackenberg (new entry)

Hackenberg finally got game action on Saturday night and wasted little time pushing the ball down the field. The interception was poor game management backed up in his own end zone, but there were far more positives than negatives (including the throw below):

Can't wait to see more of Hack and the other rooks tonight. I don't care about the INT (typical rookie mistake), what impressed me was that he was making NFL throws all over the field. From what we were told, the kid couldn't complete a pass to a wideopen target in camp. Meanwhile, he was threading the needle on that one scoring drive. He also had a couple of Wrs drop some fairly easy passes. 

As a PSU fan, that TD drive was as good as Hack has looked since his rookie year with O'brien. It was a flashback to what "could have been" at PSU if O'brien hadn't left. 

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Can't wait to see more of Hack and the other rooks tonight. I don't care about the INT (typical rookie mistake), what impressed me was that he was making NFL throws all over the field. From what we were told, the kid couldn't complete a pass to a wideopen target in camp. Meanwhile, he was threading the needle on that one scoring drive. He also had a couple of Wrs drop some fairly easy passes. 

As a PSU fan, that TD drive was as good as Hack has looked since his rookie year with O'brien. It was a flashback to what "could have been" at PSU if O'brien hadn't left. 

i like how he went through his reads.  seemed comfortable doing it.

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If Hack can replicate that 1 drive for his career, he's a first ballot hall of famer. I dont think I've ever seen a QB operate like that in a Jets uniform. 

I recall my exact words after he capped off that drive with a TD and it was "WTF did I just witness"? 

This guy is the definition of a boom/bust guy. If Macc hits on this he could change the face of this franchise for the next 15 years. The only thing that concerns me is that he has the Peyton Manning/Dan Marino thing going on behind the Oline....dude is a stone back there. But if he can get things together he could be a legit franchise QB if he can continue to do what he did on that first drive. 

We need to build this offensive line for him though because if not he's going to take alot of hits. 

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

If Hack can replicate that 1 drive for his career, he's a first ballot hall of famer. I dont think I've ever seen a QB operate like that in a Jets uniform. 

I recall my exact words after he capped off that drive with a TD and it was "WTF did I just witness"? 

This guy is the definition of a boom/bust guy. If Macc hits on this he could change the face of this franchise for the next 15 years. The only thing that concerns me is that he has the Peyton Manning/Dan Marino thing going on behind the Oline....dude is a stone back there. But if he can get things together he could be a legit franchise QB if he can continue to do what he did on that first drive. 

We need to build this offensive line for him though because if not he's going to take alot of hits. 

if he knows where to go with the ball and learns to throw it away (he did that once vs the giants) he'll be fine.  his arm/release is beauty, i don't know if i've ever seen that purely talented a throwing motion since maybe vinny and before that, ?

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

if he knows where to go with the ball and learns to throw it away (he did that once vs the giants) he'll be fine.  his arm/release is beauty, i don't know if i've ever seen that purely talented a throwing motion since maybe vinny and before that, ?

Which is what made Manning/Marino great. Their decision making were absolutely off the charts. Brady has it as well, but even he isnt as immobile as those two guys. 

If Hack and evaluate the defense and see the holes presnap the way those guys could, this kid will be a legend. Im glad that Bowles decided not to play Geno tonight. We'll get to see both QB's have 2 quarters....opportunity to see "situational football" with that amount of time for both guys. 

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Me too. Really excited about this kid. The one thing that worried me was how he would bounce back from taking a beating at Penn State. Looks like he's fine. If anything, looks like he may even feel more comfortable at the NFL level because he finally has some protection. 

He also showed me that he is a 'game day QB'. A guy that plays much better once he's in a game, can break down the defense, and make his own decisions on where the ball needs to go. I.E. he may look terrible in practice but rip it up in an actual game. It looks like his accuracy improves when he does this. 

Just now, PepPep said:

Me too. Really excited about this kid. The one thing that worried me was how he would bounce back from taking a beating at Penn State. Looks like he's fine. If anything, looks like he may even feel more comfortable at the NFL level because he finally has some protection. 

He also showed me that he is a 'game day QB'. A guy that plays much better once he's in a game, can break down the defense, and make his own decisions on where the ball needs to go. I.E. he may look terrible in practice but rip it up in an actual game. It looks like his accuracy improves when he does this. 

i think good coaching, not getting the crap kicked out of him and regaining swagger will be all he needs.

Figure this was a good spot to drop this article by Kimberly Jones on Hackenberg:

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Christian Hackenberg is sitting on a steel bench in the Jets' field house Monday, reliving the first snaps he's taken as an NFL quarterback.

He's analytical. He smiles. (For the record, he is not smiling as broadly as his head coach did after Hackenberg's first touchdown pass as a Jet; we'll get to that later.) Hackenberg is sporting a semblance of a mustache, which is standard operating procedure, or something like that, for quarterbacks around here.

"It's mandated," he said.

He's joking.

These are interesting times for Hackenberg, who never missed a start in his three years at Penn State, beginning with his first game as an 18-year-old freshman. If 2016 goes according to theJets' plan, he may not so much as suit up for a contest this season.

"Ultimately, I have to control what I can control, and that's coming in every day and being the best pro I can be and preparing as if I am the starter, as if I am playing Week 1 against Cincinnati," he said. "[I want to] get in the habit of that, because when that opportunity is presented to me, I don't want to have to make changes. I want to already be there [in terms of routine]."

All of that might be a year, perhaps two, away.

But there is this Thursday: Coach Todd Bowles said second-year pro Bryce Petty and Hackenberg will split the quarterbacking duties in the preseason finale in Philadelphia. Starter Ryan Fitzpatrick and backup Geno Smith will sit.

The goal for Hackenberg? Look comfortable, Bowles said, "and command the offense and make less mistakes than he made the week before."

On Saturday against the Giants, Hackenberg became the last of the quarterbacks in the 2016 draft class to play in a preseason game, evidence of the Jets' crowded depth chart at his position.

In a four-headed quarterback room, Hackenberg is the one who is told occasionally to get the coffee. (A rather gentle rookie initiation, isn't it?) He's also the one asking the most questions.

Before Saturday, Hackenberg hadn't entered a football game in relief since he was a freshman in high school. The last time he counted a veteran quarterback as a teammate was ... never.

As in never.

"I've always kinda been the 'older' guy, even when I was the younger guy," Hackenberg said. "Having that now, with three other [perspectives], has been great."

Hackenberg is particularly grateful that Fitzpatrick, a well-traveled 11-year veteran, is wholly willing to share his experiences and wisdom. "An awesome resource," Hackenberg said.

Fitzpatrick has spoken kindly of Hackenberg's mental aptitude and physical tools, comparing him to a Madden video-game creation "with the height and the size and the arm strength and all that."

In the first two preseason games, Hackenberg stood and watched and listened and learned. He found patience.

"It was a unique opportunity for me to gather as much information as I could before I went in there," he said.

Hackenberg got the call with 12:06 remaining Saturday night.

His first drive ended in a touchdown but started ominously -- with two incompletions and a delay-of-game penalty -- until he hit tight end Zach Sudfeld with a 16-yard strike.

"I thought the one incompletion was a good ball," he said. "Every time we had run that play, I'd never gotten back to that read. It was a situation where [the Giants] were running the right defense for it. And I had to get all the way back to my fifth progression.

"The delay of game was what it was. [But] once Zach made that play, a great grab in tight coverage, that kind of jump-started everything."

On successive passes, Hackenberg connected with undrafted rookie Robby Anderson for 27 yards down the left sideline on a corner route and then for a 10-yard touchdown, on a tighter corner route to the end zone.

"It was just like I was just reacting," Hackenberg said. "For me, it's been a while since I was just reacting. And it felt really good just to be super-confident in what I was doing and super-confident in what the defense was giving me and being able to just throw the football and not think about anything else. It was refreshing."

(My take: Hackenberg was sacked 84 times the last two seasons. A clean pocket that allows him to set his feet likely qualifies as "refreshing.")

On the touchdown, Hackenberg saw a hurried defense as the play clock was running down.

"It was the right coverage to get Robby the ball and he beat his guy clean," he said. "We had been working on that play pretty much all of training camp. You've been to practice; the emphasis was red zone, and it was that route. It was just cool to see that come to fruition."

The Jets' sideline erupted. Bowles, usually the definition of stoic, smiled from ear to ear.

"It was a good drive," Hackenberg said. "A good way to start the career."

In a press conference, I told Bowles he's never looked happier.

"I hope not," Bowles said, laughing. "I'd like to think I've had happier times in my life."

He added: "I was happy for the kid."

Hackenberg finished the game completing 6 of 16 passes for 105 yards, along with a costly interceptionthrown deep in his own territory that allowed the Giants to score the game-winning touchdown.

"Definitely something to learn from," Hackenberg said. "[I will] try not to make that [mistake) again."

As for Bowles, he and the Jets are going to give Hackenberg, their second-round draft pick, every chance to succeed. That means not rushing him, allowing him time to unlearn bad habits and grasp the NFL game. He is their future, and their future is not now.

I'm so excited for this kid.  That 1st td drive had my lips trembling and eyes watering.  Absolutely disgusting how this team and sport impacts me!

"I thought the one incompletion was a good ball," he said. "Every time we had run that play, I'd never gotten back to that read. It was a situation where [the Giants] were running the right defense for it. And I had to get all the way back to my fifth progression.

On his first NFL snap ever, he got to his fifth progression, and threw a nice ball that was dropped by Worthy. It's impressive that he was comfortable enough to do that, considering the beating he took the last two years at State College.

Just now, BroadwayJets said:

Fair, but 5 progressions as he hit the WR in stride on a comeback route ain't too shabby.

Agreed, one would need to look at the film I guess to see if any of those earlier progressions were actually there for him nor not,  If you get too used at getting to that level of progression you will get killed in this league.  Hey I was happy the guy got a chance to play and show something, imo you need to something from a player early in his career and his 1st drive was good.

Fair, but 5 progressions as he hit the WR in stride on a comeback route ain't too shabby.

and put the ball only where the receiver can make a play.  When a comeback route is the 5th route in the progression a normal throw could easily be picked by the corner as he has time to make a break on the ball.

Just now, Beerfish said:

Agreed, one would need to look at the film I guess to see if any of those earlier progressions were actually there for him nor not,  If you get too used at getting to that level of progression you will get killed in this league.  Hey I was happy the guy got a chance to play and show something, imo you need to something from a player early in his career and his 1st drive was good.

Yeah, he went through them awfully quick, but it's also a positive if he ruled out some options pre snap based on the coverage he was seeing. And I totally agree, he showed some things that he can build off of, and some things he'll need to address and improve. Can't be disappointed in that, let's hope we see some more good things tonight.

3 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

and put the ball only where the receiver can make a play.  When a comeback route is the 5th route in the progression a normal throw could easily be picked by the corner as he has time to make a break on the ball.

Yeah, he went through them awfully quick, but it's also a positive if he ruled out some options pre snap based on the coverage he was seeing. And I totally agree, he showed some things that he can build off of, and some things he'll need to address and improve. Can't be disappointed in that, let's hope we see some more good things tonight.

Yeah I really liked the placement. I don't think he was in the pocket for over 3 seconds though, which leads me to believe that the bold was the case, which is a good thing IMO.

13 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Because there's more going on than takling about our #2 quarterback.

Robbie Anderson is currently the #1 rookie on the power ranking! 

http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/09/01/jets-rookie-power-rankings-stacking-top-five-after-preseason-game-3/

Aug 27, 2016; East Rutherford, NJ, USA;  New York Jets quarterback Christian Hackenberg (5) looks to pass against the New York Giants during the second half at MetLife Stadium. The Giants won 21-20.  Mandatory Credit: Vincent Carchietta-USA TODAY Sports

With the Jets wrapping up their third preseason game, there is movement in the rookie power rankings yet again. Who jumped into the top five? Who fell down the board? Let’s take a look.

1) Robby Anderson (⇑2)

There is finally a new king sitting atop the rookie power rankings after Jordan Jenkins held the spot for quite some time. Anderson has been a star this preseason and hauled in another touchdown against the Giants. He went from unknown to what seems like a 53-man roster lock and has by far been the most impressive of all the rookies.

2) Darron Lee  (⇔)

Lee only logged 12 snaps on Saturday, but he’s held his own throughout the preseason at inside linebacker. His block shedding is a work in progress but he has elite speed for a front seven player and will contribute right away.

3) Jordan Jenkins  (⇓2)

Jenkins is still slated to start right away for the Jets at outside linebacker, but being sidelined with a calf injury has dropped him a few spots in the power rankings. Out of all of the rookies, Jenkins could have the biggest impact when the regular season starts and make his way back to his top spot on the power rankings.

4) Lachlan Edwards  (⇔)

Edwards has found consistency over the last two games and appears to be a huge upgrade over the Jets various punters from 2015. This punt pinning the Giants inside their own 10-yard line was impressive from the rookie.

5) Christian Hackenberg (new entry)

Hackenberg finally got game action on Saturday night and wasted little time pushing the ball down the field. The interception was poor game management backed up in his own end zone, but there were far more positives than negatives (including the throw below):

5 for me is Justin Burris.

Archived