MMQB Jet News

KRL

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/09/07/sam-bradford-jimmy-garoppolo-tom-herman-nfl-notebook

4. Jets’ rebuild bearing fruit. I’ve been comparing what the Jets are doing to what the Panthers pulled off between 2012 and ’14—turning over two-thirds of their starting lineup and the guts of their roster, while keeping a core in place that maintains a competitive level. But there is another example of it I stumbled into, and a better one that connects directly to the Jets head coach. It’s the job Steve Keim and Bruce Arians did in reworking the Cardinals roster in the two years Todd Bowles served as defensive coordinator. “There are some similarities there,” Bowles said. “I learned a lot from Bruce (Arians) in my two years there. Combined with the stuff I learned from (Bill) Parcells, it’s that you have to constantly build your roster while keeping your core intact. The (Darrelle) Revises and (Brandon) Marshalls and (Nick) Mangolds, you gotta build around those guys. You don’t want to get too old at every position, so you keep guys that are still performing, and then add guys to come up so the cupboard will never be bare, whether they play early or they play late.” So, while the roster has a dozen 30-somethings, and many of them are significant (Ryan Fitzpatrick, Mangold, Marshall, Nick Folk, David Harris, Revis, Matt Forte, Ryan Clady), 21 of the team’s 53 are first- or second-year players. And the better news, with just inherited players left, is that it looks like a lot of them can play. “We’re a little younger, a little faster, but we have to get a little smarter,” Bowles said. “That comes with the territory. The only way you can get experience for younger guys is to play them.” Internally, the Jets’ belief is that, while the team has been upgraded, the retooling project hasn’t neared completion yet, which explains the braintrust’s hesitation to sell out for Fitzpatrick a few months back. But they’re getting closer, and it certainly looks like the foundation in Florham Park is sturdier than it’s been in a while.

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

Great find!!!

What I like about Bowles is he doesn't act like a know it all.  He is willing to say that he learned, studied adopted from others and that is important.

You mean unlike the past regime? 

O-line needs an infusion of quality youth too, but yeah.

We should be able to devote more draft resources to the O line next year ... easier to build that through the draft than to find your QB.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, jamesr said:

We should be able to devote more draft resources to the O line next year ... easier to build that through the draft than to find your QB.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

We'll be able to give a FA Olineman David Harris check next year & draft a couple. With these young WRs all making the team, a back like McCaffrey could be the trifecta you look for to take over a division. Of course that's if Petty or Hack pan out.

Overall it seems like the team is moving in the right direction.   Unfortunately, despite the common belief that the NFL has achieved relative parity, it does seem like there are more than 6 teams at least in the AFC that have their acts together and can make the playoffs.  Most of them at very good QBs.   So the Jets have their work cut out for them to build a playoff team.   When Marshall, Clady, Mangold, Fitz and Revis loss their effectiveness, this is a team that will have issues.

What I don't understand is how a team with Wilkerson, Williams and Richardson, and even Simon who they were able to draft, goes out and signs Jarvis Jenkins and McClendon while basically starting the 2016 season not knowing who is playing RT.  

Archived