odds fitz has a lackluster game vs bills team?

kmnj

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

And let's not forget that our offense and special teams had the lead with 2 minutes left and put the Bengals on the 16 yard line.  The fault of the loss lies with our defense, specifically the secondary, not Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Sunday's game is all Fitzpatrick is worth, folks.  Nice 3rd down conversions, great pocket presence and scrambling, 2 pretty TD's, 1 poor decision INT, can do just enough to keep us in a game late, puts it in the hands of the D to hold on for a close win.  Can beat 90% of the scrubs on the schedule, will lose to 90% of the elites on the schedule.

This is what you get when you are one of 25 NFL teams without a franchise quarterback.  Ryan Fitzpatrick played above his level last year, set Jets records for TD's and offense, still couldn't make the playoffs or win a big game late in the year.  It's who Ryan is.  You can't knock him for it.  If you want to blame someone, blame Woody Johnson for not focusing on the QB spot, blame Mike Tannenbaum for chasing free agents, blame Rex Ryan for ignoring the offense.  But Mike Maccagnan and Ryan Fitzpatrick are each doing the very best they can against stacked hands.  Franchise QB's don't grow on trees for Maccagnan, 33 year old bodies don't turn into Russell Wilson for Fitzpatrick.

SAR I

the jets offense is the same.  what was different was the bengals are good and their playmakers won it.  last year the jets beat up on teams that don't know how to do that.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there's very little reason to expect even a good game from Fitz. That said, as long as he doesn't make a catastrophic mistake(s) I think we can still win. Would be very nice to be playing from ahead this time, by at least 2 scored. Hard to see them doing much of anything this year of they can;t find a way to win this game.

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

And let's not forget that our offense and special teams had the lead with 2 minutes left and put the Bengals on the 16 yard line.  The fault of the loss lies with our defense, specifically the secondary, not Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Sunday's game is all Fitzpatrick is worth, folks.  Nice 3rd down conversions, great pocket presence and scrambling, 2 pretty TD's, 1 poor decision INT, can do just enough to keep us in a game late, puts it in the hands of the D to hold on for a close win.  Can beat 90% of the scrubs on the schedule, will lose to 90% of the elites on the schedule.

This is what you get when you are one of 25 NFL teams without a franchise quarterback.  Ryan Fitzpatrick played above his level last year, set Jets records for TD's and offense, still couldn't make the playoffs or win a big game late in the year.  It's who Ryan is.  You can't knock him for it.  If you want to blame someone, blame Woody Johnson for not focusing on the QB spot, blame Mike Tannenbaum for chasing free agents, blame Rex Ryan for ignoring the offense.  But Mike Maccagnan and Ryan Fitzpatrick are each doing the very best they can against stacked hands.  Franchise QB's don't grow on trees for Maccagnan, 33 year old bodies don't turn into Russell Wilson for Fitzpatrick.

SAR I

I disagree and think you can win with him. Franchise Qbs impact is overrated. If you have a guy who is satisfactory to good you can win games and against good teams. NEP proved it the other night when Jimmy G managed a very competent game and didn't screw up. Most games were close on Sunday and not high scoring. We lost by a missed extra point. 

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

the jets offense is the same.  what was different was the bengals are good and their playmakers won it.  last year the jets beat up on teams that don't know how to do that.

That is correct.  We haven't done much to improve and last year we beat almost every cupcake on the schedule and lost to almost every elite team on the schedule. 

And this is the plight of a team that is playoff caliber in many areas but lacking a franchise quarterback.  We are not alone.  They are very rare.  We have been chasing one for 45 years.  Put Brett Favre 2008 on Sunday's team, we win that thing going away.  Put Chad Pennington 2006 on Sunday's team, we get killed.  Ryan Fitzpatrick is who he is, he is on our team because he's not very good, he's just serviceable.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I disagree and think you can win with him. Franchise Qbs impact is overrated. If you have a guy who is satisfactory to good you can win games and against good teams. NEP proved it the other night when Jimmy G managed a very competent game and didn't screw up. Most games were close on Sunday and not high scoring. We lost by a missed extra point. 

I agree with that, but the 2016 New York Jets are not the 2016 New England Patriots.  Ryan Fitzpatrick could have won Sunday's game over the Cardinals with that kind of coaching and that kind of culture and that kind of roster.  No surprise Jimmy Garropolo was successful.

But put Jimmy Carropolo on our team on Sunday, he gets annihilated.  The Jets are incomplete, we are a work-in-progress, we are a 4-12 rebuild in Year 2 Game 1 of a four year process.

SAR I

Look Jimmy G got elite coaching. And a smarter game plan than we had. But give him credit he played smart and made the throws. They put him in a better situation to win than we would have if on the Jets. I was impressed with him. Like most NEP players he does his job which is the compliment Edelman gave him after the game. He listens to the coaching and does not do things on his own. When a team does that even with lesser talent they win. We'll see if Fitz can beat Arizona. It isn't going to be easy. They will fix their mistakes hopefully we can fix ours. And hopefully Larry Fitzgerald isn't eating up our secondary the way Green did. 

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

what exactly did he show?-you do realize we lost and he was a big reason-his second half was AWFUL-hit play at the end was AWFUL-he even has a good running game that teams have to respect and has two top wrs but still finds a way to literally throw it away

I get having hope-I have been going since I was 5 and missed only a hanful of games-I am as die hard as they come but when death is staring you in the face you cant act like is all sunshine and happiness

I watched the game on sunday half heartedly. I was trying to get some work done at the same time, after watching the game. I came away unimpressed with ryan fitzpatricks game. I did record the game and had some time to watch it again, this time having my full attention. I came away with a different outlook on fitzpatricks game. he did pretty much what he was asked to do. I counted 4 bad passes from Fitzpatrick. 3 in the 1st half. he threw behind decker and marshal twice. 10 yard passes that had no meaning as they picked up the 1st down anyways. the one bad pass in the 1st half was to marshal in the endzone. he was late with the throw, hanging marshal out to dry, nevermind the throw being too high. that should have been a td. the 4th bad throw was his last in the 4th quarter being the interception

but I also counted 3 drops, I pass thrown into the dirt because the play didn't develop, and 4 or 5 passes tipped at the line. cant blame him for these. short qbs get a lot of balls batted down at the line. I still don't think Fitzpatrick had a good game, but I think "awful" is quite a bit of a stretch. lots of blame to go around. I don't think Fitzpatrick heads that list

39 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look 189 yards and 2 TD passes in a game like that isn't terrible. And his pick wasn't even close to being as significant as Dalton's was. And no Qb who gets sacked 7 times had a good game. We had an opportunity at the end to maybe get a chance to win the game but Marshall dropped a key pass. If Folk had kicked a 50 yarder and we won the game a different story. The key reasons for losing was not the Qb. Dalton had an elite receiver who made the plays and an easier secondary to throw against. Even though the Jets had a great pass rush the Jets DBS didn't do their job. Even Revis said so after the game. To me the keys to losing that game was the secondary and obviously the kicking game. You miss an extra point it often comes back to haunt you. But if Fitz had been better we might have won. 

The game was close and we should have won but I don't think Fitz had anything close to a good game. We had 2 first and goals and came away with 3 points. Some of the blame was the play calling and some of it was on Fitz, and some was on Folk. Fitz also had the help of a running game which Dalton did not. Dalton threw for 360 yards and had a 70+ percent completion rate, plus he had a couple of huge plays on third and long. You say he didn't have a good game because he got sacked 7 times? It's his fault that our Dline dominated? He didn't have a chance with most of those sacks and I would rather my QB take a sack than throw a pick. There is no comparison between the two QB's performance in that game and their overall talent level.

Fitz against Rex defenses:

2008 w/ Cincy vs. Bal:

12-31, 124 yds, 0 TDs, 0 INTs, led O to 3 pts

2009 w/ Buf vs NYJ:

10-25, 116 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT, led O to 16 pts in 5 qtrs

9-23, 98 yds, 0 TDs, 1 INT, led O to 13 pts

2010 w/ Buf vs. NYJ:

12-27, 128 yds, 2 TDs, 0 INTs, led O to 14 pts

2011 w/ Buf vs. NYJ:

15-31, 191 yds, 1 TD, 2 INts, led O to 11 pts

26-39, 264 yds, 3 TDs, 0 INTs, led O to 24 pts

2012 w/ Buf vs. NYJ:

18-32, 195 yds, 3 TDs, 3 INTs, led O to 28 pts(mostly in garbage time)

12-26, 225, 1 TD, 0 INTs, led O to 21 pts

2015 w/ NYJ vs. Buf:

15-34, 193, 2 TDs, 2 INts, led O to 17 pts

16-37, 181 yds, 2 TDs, 3 INTs, led O to 17 pts

totals: 145-305, 48%, 1715 yds, 15 TDs, 12 INTs, 65.1 rating, led O to averaged of 16.4 PPG

1 hour ago, ylekram said:

I watched the game on sunday half heartedly. I was trying to get some work done at the same time, after watching the game. I came away unimpressed with ryan fitzpatricks game. I did record the game and had some time to watch it again, this time having my full attention. I came away with a different outlook on fitzpatricks game. he did pretty much what he was asked to do. I counted 4 bad passes from Fitzpatrick. 3 in the 1st half. he threw behind decker and marshal twice. 10 yard passes that had no meaning as they picked up the 1st down anyways. the one bad pass in the 1st half was to marshal in the endzone. he was late with the throw, hanging marshal out to dry, nevermind the throw being too high. that should have been a td. the 4th bad throw was his last in the 4th quarter being the interception

but I also counted 3 drops, I pass thrown into the dirt because the play didn't develop, and 4 or 5 passes tipped at the line. cant blame him for these. short qbs get a lot of balls batted down at the line. I still don't think Fitzpatrick had a good game, but I think "awful" is quite a bit of a stretch. lots of blame to go around. I don't think Fitzpatrick heads that list

there is no sugar coating it-under 55% completion % , under 200 yards at home and a critical int to boot

I would rather have any qb in the league not named shuan hill or case keenum over fitz and I would be thrilled about it

54 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

2008 w/ Cincy vs. Bal:

2009 w/ Buf vs NYJ:

2010 w/ Buf vs. NYJ:

2011 w/ Buf vs. NYJ:

2012 w/ Buf vs. NYJ:

2015 w/ NYJ vs. Buf:

totals: 145-305, 48%, 1715 yds, 15 TDs, 12 INTs, 65.1 rating, led O to averaged of 16.4 PPG

yep very stellar numbers but I am sure it was everybody but Fitz that caused such terrible output

1 minute ago, kmnj said:

there is no sugar coating it-under 55% completion % , under 200 yards at home and a critical int to boot

I would rather have any qb in the league not named shuan hill or case keenum over fitz and I would be thrilled about it

you stat mongers kill me. here ya go

Fitzpatrick- 19-35, 189, 2 tds= horrible game

Rodgers- 20-30,199, 2 tds= ????

besides a hanful of bad throws, he did what the offensive coordinator asked him to do. he didn't have a great game. I don't think he  had a good game, but for crying out loud, he didn't have a horiible game. speaking of sugar coating, seems like that is what is going on here with any other part of the organization that's ****s up not named fitzpatrick

25 minutes ago, ylekram said:

besides a hanful of bad throws, he did what the offensive coordinator asked him to do. he didn't have a great game. I don't think he  had a good game, but for crying out loud, he didn't have a horiible game. speaking of sugar coating, seems like that is what is going on here with any other part of the organization that's ****s up not named fitzpatrick

this is why we don't solely use stats.  are saying Fitz played as well as Rodgers?  Rodgers had no INTs and ran for a TD while putting up 27 pts on the road.  Fitz had an INT and led his O to 22 pts at home. he left many plays on the field, he was awful.

28 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

this is why we don't solely use stats.  are saying Fitz played as well as Rodgers?  Rodgers had no INTs and ran for a TD while putting up 27 pts on the road.  Fitz had an INT and led his O to 22 pts at home. he left many plays on the field, he was awful.

I put the stats up to be funny. I counted 4 bad passes from fitz. he did mostly what he was asked to do. his interception obviously wasn't a good pass as it was in desperation mode. he actually led to offense to what should have been 26 points and a victory. I don't think you know what awful is

12 minutes ago, ylekram said:

I put the stats up to be funny. I counted 4 bad passes from fitz. he did mostly what he was asked to do. his interception obviously wasn't a good pass as it was in desperation mode. he actually led to offense to what should have been 26 points and a victory. I don't think you know what awful is

no he didn't, he was terrible most of that game.  he was off target almost all game, he left a lot of points on that field.

dodn't forget the good FP we had most of the day.  we had drives start at Cin 35, Cin 39, NYG 45, NYJ 42.  even w/ missed kicks we should have easily scored over 30.

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

no he didn't, he was terrible most of that game.  he was off target almost all game, he left a lot of points on that field.

dodn't forget the good FP we had most of the day.  we had drives start at Cin 35, Cin 39, NYG 45, NYJ 42.  even w/ missed kicks we should have easily scored over 30.

like I said, I don't think you know what terrible means. Fitzpatrick threw 4 bad passes all game. show me more and I will shut up. 3 in the 1st half(behind decker on a cross, behind marshal on a cross, neither of which mattered, the late high pass to marshal in the endzone in which I agree should have been a td, and the interception). besides those 4 passes, he did pretty much what gailey asked him to do. make forte the one horse show. so Fitzpatrick leaves 4 points on the board, just as much as the kicking team did, threw 4 bad passes, and that's how you come up with "terrible for most of the game" and "off target most of the game"? I don't what else to tell you

7 minutes ago, ylekram said:

like I said, I don't think you know what terrible means. Fitzpatrick threw 4 bad passes all game. show me more and I will shut up. 3 in the 1st half(behind decker on a cross, behind marshal on a cross, neither of which mattered, the late high pass to marshal in the endzone in which I agree should have been a td, and the interception). besides those 4 passes, he did pretty much what gailey asked him to do. make forte the one horse show. so Fitzpatrick leaves 4 points on the board, just as much as the kicking team did, threw 4 bad passes, and that's how you come up with "terrible for most of the game" and "off target most of the game"? I don't what else to tell you

he threw many more than 4 bad passes.  terrible may be a stretch but he was not good and he was one of the main culprits in the loss.

you are being very generous w/ only 4 bad passes.

On September 12, 2016 at 11:24 AM, kmnj said:

probably no sammy w this week so jets d should be able to clamp down on the bills this week

odds Fitz does not have a good game and earn that raise he got 100000000000000000%

think Rex likes game planning for Fitz

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

he threw many more than 4 bad passes.  terrible may be a stretch but he was not good and he was one of the main culprits in the loss.

lol 4 bad passes.  just off the top of my head, the int, the pass to marshall who was covered by 4 guys and the guy dropped a sure INT, the pass thrown behind decker and the pass that jalin got nailed b/c the ball wasn't on target.  maybe all others were good though.

Just now, nyjunc said:

I have stated what the 4 bad passes were. show me some more. I am not saying that Fitzpatrick had a good game at all, but I don't see where he is any more than 4 or 5 on the list of culprits. if fitz's play warranted him to be the #1 culprit of bad play, the jets win this game and we are not having this discussion. the bengals are a quality opponent  with a great defense and a good offense with quick strike ability. I will get over the 1 point loss. lets move on to buffalo

8 minutes ago, ylekram said:

I have stated what the 4 bad passes were. show me some more. I am not saying that Fitzpatrick had a good game at all, but I don't see where he is any more than 4 or 5 on the list of culprits. if fitz's play warranted him to be the #1 culprit of bad play, the jets win this game and we are not having this discussion. the bengals are a quality opponent  with a great defense and a good offense with quick strike ability. I will get over the 1 point loss. lets move on to buffalo

I haven't committed the entire game to memory but I can guarantee there were more than 4 bad throws and more than 4 bad decisions.

13 minutes ago, ylekram said:

2 hours ago, ylekram said:

The bold is Fitz's main problem/drawback.  The playbook is limited and defenses take full advantage and are enabled to be even more stingy with what is left for them to defend.

I myself am in the "either Geno or Brice" camp because THEY can make all the throws (getting Peake, Marshall, and Anderson into the game), but that is another thread.       

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

2008 w/ Cincy vs. Bal:

2009 w/ Buf vs NYJ:

2010 w/ Buf vs. NYJ:

2011 w/ Buf vs. NYJ:

2012 w/ Buf vs. NYJ:

2015 w/ NYJ vs. Buf:

Drops the mic 

Oh the pain!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

lol 4 bad passes.  just off the top of my head, the int, the pass to marshall who was covered by 4 guys and the guy dropped a sure INT, the pass thrown behind decker and the pass that jalin got nailed b/c the ball wasn't on target.  maybe all others were good though.

you need glasses my friend. regardless of how many defenders were in the area, marshal was open. if the pass wasn't deflected at the line, that's a 20+ yard reception. was pass did jalin get nailed? the one where fitz was under heavy pressure and the linebacker was in the throwing lane? fitz dropped that ball 1 foot over the linebackers out stretched hands and put the ball the only  place it could be thrown.on top of that, jalin was his only option as a receiver. that was a great pass that avoided a sack and interception. go watch the play again and name a qb who could have dropped that pass in. if you want to claim fitz should have just thrown the ball away, that's one thing, but that pass was almost perfectly thrown considering the circumstances

39 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

The bold is Fitz's main problem/drawback.  The playbook is limited and defenses take full advantage and are enabled to be even more stingy with what is left for them to defend.

I myself am in the "either Geno or Brice" camp because THEY can make all the throws (getting Peake, Marshall, and Anderson into the game), but that is another thread.       

nobody is claiming that Fitzpatrick is a franchise qb. we all know he has limitations. Bryce hasn't proven sh*t to me against 2nd 3rd stringers and genos long ball is about as good as fitzpatricks. neither one has come close to earning a starting position. these hope and pray plans don't work in the nfl. geno and petty will get to start at qb when they earn that start, not because of some perceived potential or physical attitributes

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

this article shows 4 bad throws, exactly like I said. the author also fails to acknowledge atleast 3 sets of circumstances where there was an incompletion. calls 2 tipped balls "bad throws" and a 3rd to marshal at the goal line where the defender grabbed and twisted fitzpatricks face mask. hard to throw an accurate pass looking thru the earhole of your helmet. you want to argue that fitz went here when he should of went there? that's fine. saying that fitz had more than 4 bad passes(passes he should have made) isn't going to get you anywhere

22 minutes ago, ylekram said:

nobody is claiming that Fitzpatrick is a franchise qb. we all know he has limitations. Bryce hasn't proven sh*t to me against 2nd 3rd stringers and genos long ball is about as good as fitzpatricks. neither one has come close to earning a starting position. these hope and pray plans don't work in the nfl. geno and petty will get to start at qb when they earn that start, not because of some perceived potential or physical attitributes

Neither does beating your head against a brick wall which is what expecting a journeyman to lead a team to the post season is equivalent to.  True that Geno's arm isn't much better than Fitz's on the long ball.  Good point.  If Fitz continues to the the 28th best QB in the league for the next 5 games, well....that brick wall makes my head very sore.  Don't like Geno, fine who does, that makes it Brice time, irregardless.         

4 hours ago, ylekram said:

so what is the most important stat in football turnovers and yet I noticed you blatantly ignored Rodgers did not throw any ints and certainly did not throw one that cost his team the game-if Fitz did not throw that INT his performance would have been more tolerable

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

Neither does beating your head against a brick wall which is what expecting a journeyman to lead a team to the post season is equivalent to.  True that Geno's arm isn't much better than Fitz's on the long ball.  Good point.  If Fitz continues to the the 28th best QB in the league for the next 5 games, well....that brick wall makes my head very sore.  Don't like Geno, fine who does, that makes it Brice time, irregardless.         

28TH really doesn't mean squat to me. the entire game plan against the bengals was to highlight forte, which they did. fitz is a qb that will get it done most of the time. which he did. yea, he had some bad throws and some batted balls at the line, maybe made the wrong read here or there, he played well enough to lead his team to 26 potential points. enough to win the game. could/should he have played better? sure. but he is what he is. we know this. the coaching staff knows this. the players know this. what they also know is he is better than petty at this point in time.yea petty showed progress from last year to this year. that's promising. but lets not confuse this with thinking petty would be better than fitz. its the 1st week. the jets lost to a very good bengals team by 1 point. lets not beat our heads against the wall today in fear of what might happen 5 weeks from now.

Archived