Jets Panicked and Resigned Fitz.

JetBlue

38 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Maybe, just maybe guys like Mangold, Marshall and Decker need to understand that its a "team sport". That statement works both ways. The concept of being a "team sport" doesnt just work in Fitz favor. 

If there was an open competition and another QB won then wouldnt that be best for the "team"? Honestly, after the performance I seen on Sunday, I honestly couldnt sit here and say that I positively believe that Geno nor Petty couldnt have done any better...especially where there's no threat of a deep pass. 

Some think that Fitz is a better QB than Geno/Petty, but Fitz limits the players we have on the team. What about Robbie, Charone and Devin? They're basically unusable because of Fitz. Isnt this a "team sport"? Using a guy who could expand the weapons on offense could open up the offense by giving it more versatility. If Mangold, Marshall and Decker have a problem with that, maybe we should get rid of them given that they're not about "the team". 

We're losing games against good teams, we're getting swept by rivals in our division. We have a 50% success rate in our division, we missed the playoffs, we're 1-7 against teams who score 3 TD's on average, we're 2-5 against playoff teams. What is Fitz doing that's so damn amazing?

"Drops the mic and walks away" - nuff said.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Fair enough;....   I don't think the team is horrible at all.  In fact I think our offense has the potential to be very good IF we could stretch the field.   With Fitz, I don't see that happening and Bowles is too stubborn to make a move unless we are out of playoff contention, hence the injury to force his hand.  Sorry but that is how I feel at this point. 

In truth I wasn't replying to you particularly, I was simply stating my opinion on your thread.

In fact I gave you ups for many posts in this thread. 

And everybody out here knows that you really don't want to see any player hurt.  You just want to see Petty out there and see what he can do.

Simple.

I think that next year we will have time to see Petty in competition with probably Mike Glennon, with Fitz battling as well. 

And yes I understand your frustration, and folks out here know that you are a quality poster, but you know that you are going to catch grief and strike a nerve when you say you hope that your own players should be hurt for five seconds least of all five games.    

33 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

And for the love of all that is Holy, THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH GENO SMITH.  That is for you and everyone else who keeps bringing him up... 

I believe you.  Except for the part where, you know, Geno is # 2 on the depth chart, and thus you need 2 QB's to get hurt for Petty to see the field. 

1 minute ago, Charlie Brown said:

In truth I wasn't replying to you particularly, I was simply stating my opinion on your thread.

In fact I gave you ups for many posts in this thread. 

And everybody out here knows that you really don't want to see any player hurt.  You just want to see Petty out there and see what he can do.

Simple.

I think that next year we will have time to see Petty in competition with probably Mike Glennon, with Fitz battling as well. 

And yes I understand your frustration, and folks out here know that you are a quality poster, but you know that you are going to catch grief and strike a nerve when you say you hope that your own players should be hurt for five seconds least of all five games.    

Thanks for that CB, you really are a good Man Charlie Brown! :-)

I appreciate you being able to read between the lines and know where I was coming from.  So in a spirit of humility I will apologize for my earlier comment.   Maybe one day before I pass on from this earth, this team will develop or acquire a true franchise quarterback. 

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I believe you.  Except for the part where, you know, Geno is # 2 on the depth chart, and thus you need 2 QB's to get hurt for Petty to see the field. 

That does suck.  whether you believe or not, I really want to see Petty with these weapons.  If he hadn't got hurt, perhaps he might shown enough to pass Geno on the depth chart. 

Just now, JetBlue said:

That does suck.  whether you believe or not, I really want to see Petty with these weapons.  If he hadn't got hurt, perhaps he might shown enough to pass Geno on the depth chart. 

Petty will get his shot, it just won't be this year in all likelihood.  Remember, he and Hackenberg are the only QB's who will be under contract in 2017.  Marshall and Decker are under contract in '17 as well. 

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Petty will get his shot, it just won't be this year in all likelihood.  Remember, he and Hackenberg are the only QB's who will be under contract in 2017.  Marshall and Decker are under contract in '17 as well. 

You are probably right but I would truly love to see what he could do THIS year.  Next season Marshall and Decker will be a year older and he will be competing against Hack will be the favorite to win the job.  If gets some playing time this season and plays well, then he would be the odds on favorite and we could have some confidence that perhaps we have our qb of the future/present.   All playing Fitz does is prolong that process another year. 

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Then you must be really deluded. They wanted to sign him to a 3 year deal in case he repeated is season from last year against a tougher schedule and then they could trade him with value.

As for cutting ties, you try to explain to your fanbase. "We had a QB that had the greatest statistical season in Jets history and we are letting him go"

Your first point makes no sense and if you're trying to explain something to the fan base you've already failed. 

35 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Who said season ending

Oh, so you just want Fitz to be hurt badly enough to miss a few games, give Geno (or Petty) his shot, how kind and generous of you.

That's totally not rooting against your own team or rooting for injuries, right?

:rolleyes:

3 hours ago, HessStation said:

I think we saw enough last year to know what we were getting this year. People clamoured to the Td-int ratio and record and thought it makes a difference he and Marshall are buddies.  

This isnt a sh*tty QB. This is a good, solid Mediocre QB. And the team around him is too talented to completely implode.. Barring injuries. But I'll be extremely surprised if it's more than 8-9 wins this year. They seem like a very, solid, average team w Fitz at Qb.

He's basically Chad Pennington without the completion percentage and playoff appearances.  The only difference is he's a really likable passionate give it all you got guy and Chad was a smug prick egg shell with no balls.  Otherwise, they're the same player who limits the offense and makes them easy to defend. 

Not sure why you're celebrating him being "mediocre and average"...havent you had enough of that?  

3 hours ago, HessStation said:

As said Id rather have seen Geno but only because this looks like a bridge year to Petty or maybe Hack next anyway. 

And then you'd of had that weird slight off chance of hope Geno saw the light. 

Fitz provides stability but zero upside 

This has basically been my point for 2 straight years.  The only difference I think we're not agreeing on is, Fitz doesnt provide the type of stability you want.  He provides the worst type of stability.  Good but not good enough.  Bad but not bad enough.  He's just good enough to beat the bad teams but not good enough to beat the good teams.  He's just good enough to keep you hanging around but not good enough to get you over the top.  He's just good enough to put up deceiving statistics that make you think he's good but when you peel back the onion (see Villains recent posts in the hot garbage thread), he's really not.  He's just good enough to keep you thinking he's good enough but he's not, so you're stuck playing this sh*tty game we've played for two straight offseasons and will probably do next offseason.

The problem with all that is he holds the franchise back from moving forward because he leaves questions unanswered so you never get closure on players/decisions.  For example:

You're not going to get to see Geno in a better system with better players.  You're not going to see what Petty can do (never mind Hack smh). You're not going to see what Devin Smith, Robby Anderson and Charone Peak can do stretching the field. You're not going to see what Forte and Powell can do on the ground with a QB who can attack every level of the field. You'll never see the full potential of this loaded offense because of Fitz's limitations. 

We're like a stick in the mud with Fitz.  We're not going anywhere.  The reality is, there is no difference between 8-8 and 4-12 other than a worse draft pick. And seriously, did he really do anything yesterday that Geno or Petty couldnt?  Sh*t, I'd almost argue neither of them would have missed 5 feet high to Marshall wide open in the endzone on what was a huge game changing probably win if we get it play.

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

they aren't robots. If the team starts a GEno it sends a statement that they aren't serious about winning.  And whether they play hard or not they will lose anyway. 

Pro Football isn't about ability. All 32 teams have ability, for the most part. It's about what these guys believe they can do. 

Please.  None of them believe Fitz is a SB caliber QB.   They're not stupid.  They're all veterans and know exactly who he is.  

This is absolutely ridiculous.

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Sure bitonti, all the games are meaningful. But when you win 10 games but you miss the playoffs because you get swept by a division rival and you lose the tiebreaker to Pitt because of all of the AFC games you lost during the season, then there are meaningful games that you lost. 

Sunday we lost to AFC team in our house because we blew a bunch of redzone drives and had our 12 million dollar QB put teh game in the hands of our 2 million dollar kicker. The game was meaningful to the point that we could possibly miss the playoffs given the conference that team is in...not just because we lost a football game. Some games mean more than others. Controlling your destiny in week 17 means that you shouldnt throw 3 picks in the 4th quarter to end the season. Playing against the Texans last year (AFC opponent) means that you shouldnt throw a pick to end the game when you need that win. Playing against the Bengals (AFC opponent) means that you shouldnt throw a pick to end the game on 3rd and 10. 

Fitz led the league in INT's in the 4th qtr last season. He seems like he's in prime form right now. 

Nugent missed a FG on Sunday.  How on earth did the Bengals overcome such devastating blow? 

I'll take an 8-8 over a 4-12. It's not the same. With some 8-8's it's a competitive team that just falls short or a team with a tough schedule that loses close games. I'm watching for entertainment and even though we lost on Sunday it was a good game. I think we're better than that and can beat good teams. 

17 minutes ago, JiF said:

Nugent missed a FG on Sunday.  How on earth did the Bengals overcome such devastating blow? 

Because Cinci's offense got to face a defensive front 7 that only had 7 sacks.  I don't understand why they're getting a pass here.  Especially the Dline!  Only 6 sacks from the dline won't cut it.  We need 10+ sacks from them to allow Fitz to succeed vs good teams.  

Hopefully Sheldon coming back fixes the problems there.  Phuckin' slackers.

11 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I'll take an 8-8 over a 4-12. It's not the same. With some 8-8s it's a competitive team that just falls short or a team with a tough schedule that  loses close games. I'm watching for entertainment and even though we lost on Sunday it was a good game. I think we're better than that and can beat good teams. 

Unfortunately, the reality is...the only difference is where you pick.  You're not in the playoffs and that's all that matters because you've got to be in it, to win it. 

Your entertainment doesnt make the team better.  The difference between the #1 or #2 overall pick and the #16, does.  

I'm not saying you tank or throw games, I think you always try to win.  But going 8-8 with Fitz and getting the #16 pick is a hampster in a wheel.

Risking it and going with the kids and seeing what you got...you got a chance that you dont have with Fitz.  The payoff if it doesnt work out?   A higher pick. 

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

I mentioned this on Sunday when everyone was trying to place blame on our kicker. It wasnt like he kicked a chip shot and missed. The kick was blocked. And yeah, he missed a PAT, but the Bengals also missed a fieldgoal. Some would say "well do the math. The Jets left 4 points off the board and the Bengals left 3 points off the board and we lost by 1".

Well, that would have worked if this was last year and we were playing with a backup Ryan Fitzpatrick filling in for Geno Smith who got his jaw wired shut by a thugturd during the start of the preseason. Instead we're talking about a 12 million dollar quarterback that had 5 chances in the redzone and only scored twice. Last year this would fly, this year I dont want to hear about our 12 million dollar QB putting the game in the hands of a kicker because he cant execute better than 40% in the redzone. I dont want to hear about how its okay that our QB threw the ball 35 times and couldnt even surpass the 190 yard mark, with 66 of those yards being a direct result of YAC yards by Forte and Powell. 

This is how crazy it was. Fitz threw the ball 35 times and completed a subpar 54% of his passes for a total of 189 yards. 11 of those 19 completions were made from behind the LOS, in which he was 11 of 12 (96% completion rate). This means that when Fitz ACTUALLY THREW DOWN THE FIELD he was just 8 of 23 for the game. Thats a 34% completion rate throwing beyond the LOS. 

I dont understand why this dude is being defended. Im not saying that he should be benched, I even said that his game wasnt terrible, but the Jets paid this man 12 million dollars and guaranteed him the job when he wasnt even on the damn roster. When does it get to the point that this isnt about "Geno Smith/Bryce Petty" and it becomes "We paid you this money and guaranteed you the job"? This isnt like last year when he came in as the #2 and was gifted the starting job via injury. He's been invested in now. This was an unacceptable performance. 34% completion rate when throwing beyond the LOS? Are you serious? 

pan·ic1
ˈpanik/
noun
  1. 1.
    sudden uncontrollable fear or anxiety, often causing wildly unthinking behavior.

This is the word being used to describe an elaborate, drawn out, six-month process.

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

This is how crazy it was. Fitz threw the ball 35 times and completed a subpar 54% of his passes for a total of 189 yards. 11 of those 19 completions were made from behind the LOS, in which he was 11 of 12 (96% completion rate). This means that when Fitz ACTUALLY THREW DOWN THE FIELD he was just 8 of 23 for the game. Thats a 34% completion rate throwing beyond the LOS. 

Thank you for that.  I had over eaten at dinner.  Was worried about my figure, but reading that forced me to throw-up.

Holy crap that's disgraceful with these weapons.  Smh.

On the bright side, if Fitz is our QB all season, we should all lose 20lbs or so.

7 minutes ago, AFJF said:
pan·ic1
ˈpanik/
noun
  1. 1.
    sudden uncontrollable fear or anxiety, often causing wildly unthinking behavior.

This is the word being used to describe an elaborate, drawn out, six-month process.

haha - it is week 1 and it's not the best performance indicator for this season.  This is true.  But 12 years of data is. It's like I was saying Sunday and what I posted above.

I love this dude and enjoy cheering for him.  I was legit screaming "let's go Fitzmagic" at the top of my lungs Sunday.  But he's just so underwhelming it hurts. That said, he's got to clean it up fast because the next 5 games are not forgiving and I hope he does.  I want to eat crow in the worst way possible. 

47 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Oh, so you just want Fitz to be hurt badly enough to miss a few games, give Geno (or Petty) his shot, how kind and generous of you.

That's totally not rooting against your own team or rooting for injuries, right?

:rolleyes:

No it is rooting to see if your young quarterback can play. Now please go away. You are beating this to death.

4 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

No it is rooting to see if your young quarterback can play. Now please go away. You are beating this to death.

Jets 2017 = Petty & Hack show what they have in battle for QB

Jets 2016 = Fitz

Geno = Wet diarrhea

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

haha - it is week 1 and it's not the best performance indicator for this season.  This is true.  But 12 years of data is. It's like I was saying Sunday and what I posted above.

I love this dude and enjoy cheering for him.  I was legit screaming "let's go Fitzmagic" at the top of my lungs Sunday.  But he's just so underwhelming it hurts. That said, he's got to clean it up fast because the next 5 games are not forgiving and I hope he does.  I want to eat crow in the worst way possible. 

Agreed...but signing him was the exact opposite of a panic move.

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Agreed...but signing him was the exact opposite of a panic move.

Gotta disagree.  Signing him for 12m was much more than any other team was willing to pay.  Overpay=panic.  Fitz is very likely unable of beating most of the defenses we're about to face thru week 6, and we all know this.  The non panic thing to do would have to the save the 12m for next year and give Smith and or Petty a chance to shine.  IMHO (I know this is controversial) while both are behind Fitz neither is that far behind.    

6 hours ago, JetBlue said:

There I said it; one game into the season.  Why? Because I don't need 5 or 6 games to see Fitz just doesn't have the arm strength to scare defenses.    It will be dink and dunk and YAC all down the field.  One the reasons this worked last year is our effectiveness in the red zone.   Hopefully we will do better going forward than we did on Sunday. 

Unfortunately, guys like Robby Anderson, Charone Peake and eventually Devin Smith will be underutilized if used at all because of Fitzs pop gun arm.   I hope I'm wrong but I don't think so. 

I really wanted Geno to battle it out with Petty for the starting job going into camp.  I thought going in, that Geno would win that battle but Petty impressed the heck out of me with his arm and presence.  He as the Anti- Geno in that regard and seem to really take charge in the huddle.   I really would love to see what he could with all the weapons this team has.  

Instead I have to sit and watch a journeyman that NO OTHER TEAM EVEN MADE AN OFFER TO, be looked upon as the "best option" for the Jets. I mean how pathetic is that?  

Look at all the teams that just two years ago had no quarterback and now have their franchise or potential franchise quarterback in place

Raiders
Vikings
Eagles
Rams
Bucs
Jaquars
Titans
* Cowboys (Prescott looks like the real deal)
Hell even the Bills with T.Taylor and C. Jones

I am sure I probably could name a few others but the point is made.  

Meanwhile, we are trotting out Ryan Fitzpatrick..... let that sink in for minute.  Ryan FREAKING Fitzpatrick!!

We have watched guys like Trevor Simian and Dak Prescott come out of practically nowhere and play well but we didn't have the balls to go with our home grown talent.  Instead management caved into Fitz's demands and the end result is we are no closer to finding out if Petty lead this team or not.  

Hack is redshirted until 2017 and hopefully he will emerge but this would have been the perfect time to let Geno and Petty fight it out and let the best man start.   I am so sick of the fascination wI disagree . ith mediocrity just because his teammates "love him" and wanted him back.    I mean who is in charge here?  Can you imagine something like this happening on the Patriots?  Do you think Bellicheck would give a flying **** what the players "wanted" when it came to personnel?  I guess that is one reason they are a perennial championship contender and we are still looking for our first true franchise quarterback since Namath. 

I can't with this team.... 

Somebody wake me up when they get some balls and starts Petty.   I hate to root for injury to any player but in Fitz case I will make an exception.  I have seen enough. 

I disagree . The Jets were in a situation that only a few HCs in the NFL could have handled differently and be able to survive the media and fan backlash . The Front office and coaching staff did the only thing they could and brought back the leader of their offensive team even if it was at a price that was not what  they wanted to pay .

38 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I mentioned this on Sunday when everyone was trying to place blame on our kicker. It wasnt like he kicked a chip shot and missed. The kick was blocked. And yeah, he missed a PAT, but the Bengals also missed a fieldgoal. Some would say "well do the math. The Jets left 4 points off the board and the Bengals left 3 points off the board and we lost by 1".

Well, that would have worked if this was last year and we were playing with a backup Ryan Fitzpatrick filling in for Geno Smith who got his jaw wired shut by a thugturd during the start of the preseason. Instead we're talking about a 12 million dollar quarterback that had 5 chances in the redzone and only scored twice. Last year this would fly, this year I dont want to hear about our 12 million dollar QB putting the game in the hands of a kicker because he cant execute better than 40% in the redzone. I dont want to hear about how its okay that our QB threw the ball 35 times and couldnt even surpass the 190 yard mark, with 66 of those yards being a direct result of YAC yards by Forte and Powell. 

I dont understand why this dude is being defended. Im not saying that he should be benched, I even said that his game wasnt terrible, but the Jets paid this man 12 million dollars and guaranteed him the job when he wasnt even on the damn roster. When does it get to the point that this isnt about "Geno Smith/Bryce Petty" and it becomes "We paid you this money and guaranteed you the job"? This isnt like last year when he came in as the #2 and was gifted the starting job via injury. He's been invested in now. This was an unacceptable performance. 34% completion rate when throwing beyond the LOS? Are you serious? 

Is it safe to take 80 off ignore or is he still saying "oh yeah! Geno took a sack one time!"

8 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Gotta disagree.  Signing him for 12m was much more than any other team was willing to pay.  Overpay=panic.  Fitz is very likely unable of beating most of the defenses we're about to face thru week 6, and we all know this.  The non panic thing to do would have to the save the 12m for next year and give Smith and or Petty a chance to shine.  IMHO (I know this is controversial) while both are behind Fitz neither is that far behind.    

Agree to disagree

Mac & Bowles have decided to go kid gloves with Petty & Hack

sticking one of them out in 2016 would have been the panic move as they don't believe either is ready yet.

Geno as QB in 2016 would have been giving up

17 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

With all due respect, because some fans feel that making Fitz a bottom two or three paid veteran QB is overpaying does not make it so.  

Off the top of my head, I think the only non-rookie contract QB making less than Fitz is RG III.

Just now, T0mShane said:

rank the best qb be homest:

1. ryan fitzpatrick 

B. cam the dabbin demon newton 

C. Andy dalton

Fitz is clearly the best...no brainer.  That's obviously why the Jets backed up the Brinks truck and made him one of the worst-paid veteran QB's in the NFL.

Between Cam and Ginger?  Too close to call.

Archived