Jets Panicked and Resigned Fitz.

JetBlue

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Saying that a six-month long negotiation is a panic move, would be like saying I was dying of starvation, so I planted some crops this morning.

Panic is the wrong word. But, I think signing Fitpatrick to be a bridge to Hackenberg is deserving of skepticism. 

I don't think panic is the right word here. But looking back on it, the team was going to have to pay a premium and fitz knew it too. There's no way a second year coach and GM were going to risk their jobs losing with geno smith coming off a 10 win season with fitzpatrick, you heard the crowd during the preseason... they would be absolutely crucified. fitz at least has enough goodwill built up here for the front office to survive a disappointing season and take the pressure off of the young prospects that they seem intent on not rushing 

13 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Saying that a six-month long negotiation is a panic move, would be like saying I was dying of starvation, so I planted some crops this morning.

and the fact it was a six-month long negotiation should show the witch hunters that Geno was not the god awful QB many proclaim him to be.

sometimes people make impulsive declarations without studying the evidence.

5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Lol you may want to take him off just so you don't miss the epic defending we'll be seeing throughout the season. 

don't make me..  it really has been less stressful..  I've seen a lot of "you've chosen to ignore this poster" on various threads but to this point have been too afraid to unblock.

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Lol you may want to take him off just so you don't miss the epic defending we'll be seeing throughout the season. 

believe it or not villain, the jets are going to win some games this year. more than you think. I think the anti fitz peanut gallery will be quiet most weeks. well maybe not quiet. I am sure they will bring up every single bad read, move, throw, great catch, fumble, non slide that happens even during a win

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Panic is the wrong word. But, I think signing Fitpatrick to be a bridge to Hackenberg is deserving of skepticism. 

Not necessarily to Hack IMO.  Hack is here, but I think Fitz is the bridge to whoever wins the job.  It might be Petty, it might be Hack, and it might be a QB they sign or draft after this season (Mike Glennon)

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

The combination. Based on the available information regarding both Fitz and Hack, there's evidence that Maccagnan might not have any idea what he's doing with the QB position.

Which would mean armageddon.  Because that means Woody, despite doing everything we wanted him to do to find a quality GM, still failed.  And thus the Jets will not be a Super Bowl contender at least until he dies.  

4 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Not necessarily to Hack IMO.  Hack is here, but I think Fitz is the bridge to whoever wins the job.  It might be Petty, it might be Hack, and it might be a QB they sign or draft after this season (Mike Glennon)

Hack is clearly the intended, by virtue of the 2nd rounder used on him. If not, Oy.

7 hours ago, JetBlue said:

There I said it; one game into the season.  Why? Because I don't need 5 or 6 games to see Fitz just doesn't have the arm strength to scare defenses.    It will be dink and dunk and YAC all down the field.  One the reasons this worked last year is our effectiveness in the red zone.   Hopefully we will do better going forward than we did on Sunday. 

Unfortunately, guys like Robby Anderson, Charone Peake and eventually Devin Smith will be underutilized if used at all because of Fitzs pop gun arm.   I hope I'm wrong but I don't think so. 

I really wanted Geno to battle it out with Petty for the starting job going into camp.  I thought going in, that Geno would win that battle but Petty impressed the heck out of me with his arm and presence.  He as the Anti- Geno in that regard and seem to really take charge in the huddle.   I really would love to see what he could with all the weapons this team has.  

Instead I have to sit and watch a journeyman that NO OTHER TEAM EVEN MADE AN OFFER TO, be looked upon as the "best option" for the Jets. I mean how pathetic is that?  

Look at all the teams that just two years ago had no quarterback and now have their franchise or potential franchise quarterback in place

Raiders
Vikings
Eagles
Rams
Bucs
Jaquars
Titans
* Cowboys (Prescott looks like the real deal)
Hell even the Bills with T.Taylor and C. Jones

I am sure I probably could name a few others but the point is made.  

Meanwhile, we are trotting out Ryan Fitzpatrick..... let that sink in for minute.  Ryan FREAKING Fitzpatrick!!

We have watched guys like Trevor Simian and Dak Prescott come out of practically nowhere and play well but we didn't have the balls to go with our home grown talent.  Instead management caved into Fitz's demands and the end result is we are no closer to finding out if Petty lead this team or not.  

Hack is redshirted until 2017 and hopefully he will emerge but this would have been the perfect time to let Geno and Petty fight it out and let the best man start.   I am so sick of the fascination with mediocrity just because his teammates "love him" and wanted him back.    I mean who is in charge here?  Can you imagine something like this happening on the Patriots?  Do you think Bellicheck would give a flying **** what the players "wanted" when it came to personnel?  I guess that is one reason they are a perennial championship contender and we are still looking for our first true franchise quarterback since Namath. 

I can't with this team.... 

Somebody wake me up when they get some balls and starts Petty.   I hate to root for injury to any player but in Fitz case I will make an exception.  I have seen enough. 

That's a great post right there and just so right on...I was watching highlights of the games last Sunday and watching tons of long TD passes more than 5 yard drop downs to the RB and thinking that we have not had that capability since VT was here. That's 15  years virtually of dink and dunk boring football.

Just now, T0mShane said:

Hack is clearly the intended, by virtue of the 2nd rounder used on him. If not, Oy.

I 100% believe he's the intended, but if they're not happy with how he looks, they won't hesitate to grab another QB.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The combination. Based on the available information regarding both Fitz and Hack, there's evidence that Maccagnan might not have any idea what he's doing with the QB position.

He drafted Hackenberg knowing the optics were not favorable, he's not that stupid. I'm just glad the GM is willing to put his reputation on the line and has enough faith in his scouting to take the heat from the armchair talent evaluators at home and in the press

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Which would mean armageddon.  Because that means Woody, despite doing everything we wanted him to do to find a quality GM, still failed.  And thus the Jets will not be a Super Bowl contender at least until he dies.  

Stock up on spam and ammunition. Work on progressively developing an immunity to the bacterium in unfiltered rainwater. Know the signs of radiation poisoning. Identify which of your neighbors will become vulnerable to invasion, and who among these will be most likely to possess the most premium resources (those with children and infants will have the highest quality non-perishable food items and proteins). 

4 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I 100% believe he's the intended, but if they're not happy with how he looks, they won't hesitate to grab another QB.

If things go south, I don't believe Maccagnan will have the guts to draft another QB high. I like Macc, but I think he's painted himself into a corner with Hackenberg.

3 minutes ago, cant wait said:

He drafted Hackenberg knowing the optics were not favorable, he's not that stupid. I'm just glad the GM is willing to put his reputation on the line and has enough faith in his scouting to take the heat from the armchair talent evaluators at home and in the press

It took balls, to be sure. But there's nothing in Maccagnan's history here or with the Texans that should earn him the benefit of the doubt, especially considering literally everyone thinks Hack is awful

Just now, T0mShane said:

If things go south, I don't believe Maccagnan will have the guts to draft another QB high. I like Macc, but I think he's painted himself into a corner with Hackenberg.

I think we'll find out.  He traded up to grab Bryce (granted, a mid/late rounder) and followed that up by taking Hack and re-signed Fitz.  I think he's treating the QB position like it matters and will keep getting them 'til he finds one.

23 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It took balls, to be sure. But there's nothing in Maccagnan's history here or with the Texans that should earn him the benefit of the doubt, especially considering literally everyone thinks Hack is awful

The Texans have done pretty well with drafting with almost everything except QB so I see what you're saying-- but there must have been something they saw with this kid, intangibles like the way he processes information, capacity in understanding more abstract concepts that led them to believe it's worth taking a chance on a project with so many obvious warts. At least that's what I'm hoping is the case... I'm just happy they believed enough to take the risk 

52 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

you are such a drama queen when it comes to a second round pick of QB.  Did you do that when we drafted Clemens too? Look at the 2nd round QBs drafted by the 32 teams in the last decade.  See how many failed?  A very high percentage, in fact nearly all of them.  It's very common and you certainly have no clue whether Hack will fail or not.  I sure don't.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I'm sure he's got an idea, a plan, it's just that this might not have been the best choice among those that were available to him.  Feels like the politically correct path of least resistance choice to me.  In the end he was backed into a corner and overpaid.  Just my take.....       

3 hours ago, JiF said:

Unfortunately, the reality is...the only difference is where you pick.  You're not in the playoffs and that's all that matters because you've got to be in it, to win it. 

Your entertainment doesnt make the team better.  The difference between the #1 or #2 overall pick and the #16, does.  

I'm not saying you tank or throw games, I think you always try to win.  But going 8-8 with Fitz and getting the #16 pick is a hampster in a wheel.

Risking it and going with the kids and seeing what you got...you got a chance that you dont have with Fitz.  The payoff if it doesnt work out?   A higher pick. 

I don't care about the higher pick. And half the time top guys drafted don't end up being the best players. I know we didn't make the playoffs last year but it was a fun year and a lot better than 2014. 

29 minutes ago, johnnyjet said:

Prescot after 1 game and Tyrod Taylor really? Well that tells me all I need to know about this useless post.  

you are a QB guru for sure. 

So why comment in my useless post? I would take both of them over Fitz right now.  In fact I bet 90% of this board would rather have Prescott.  Of course a genius like u will be in the 10%.

40 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

I'm sure he's got an idea, a plan, it's just that this might not have been the best choice among those that were available to him.  Feels like the politically correct path of least resistance choice to me.  In the end he was backed into a corner and overpaid.  Just my take.....       

Agree 100%

10 hours ago, JiF said:

Not sure if panicked is the right word.  Todd Bowles announced him the starter immediately after the loss to the Bills when he wasnt even under contract.  There was never a second this offseason that Fitz wasnt going to be the starter.  It was always going to happen.  It was just a matter of when and how much.  

Yeah that. It was a mistake from the getgo. Just like how Rex boasted Revis as the best CB, except he was the best at the time. Fitz has never been starting material, save for the one year anamoly. 

6 hours ago, ylekram said:

believe it or not villain, the jets are going to win some games this year. more than you think. I think the anti fitz peanut gallery will be quiet most weeks. well maybe not quiet. I am sure they will bring up every single bad read, move, throw, great catch, fumble, non slide that happens even during a win

Sounds like what happens when Geno plays. 

Archived