Jets Panicked and Resigned Fitz.

JetBlue

Just now, JetBlue said:

Who said anything about being gifted the start job?  You are like a broken record.  The point is they could have let the Geno and Petty COMPETE against each other and if neither them played well, could have STILL signed Fitz.   What part of this are you NOT getting? 

They saw Geno and Petty every day at Florham Park for months without Fitz and gave Geno most of the first team reps. 

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, JetBlue said:

Who said anything about being gifted that start?  You are like a broken record.  The point is they could have let the Geno and Petty COMPETE against each other and if neither them played well, could have STILL signed Fitz.   What part of this are you NOT getting? 

I am getting it just fine. fitz was ALWAYS coming back. it wasn't happening any other way. you say you wanted geno and petty to battle it out but what you really mean is that you wanted to see geno with improved weapons. nothing less. speaking  of broken records, I have listened to you spew this exact sentiment since last season. give it a rest. the entire front  office unequivocally disagrees with your opinion

1 minute ago, CaliforniaJet said:

Not a fan of Hack, but you mentioned that he will be red shirted until 2017 which is true. Then you have the Rams listed on your list, who took a quarterback higher than us and is also a red shirt. 

Yes and he will probably be starting by the end of the year or next.  We took Petty in the 4th last year and let him redshirt.  He played well in preseason with the 2s and 3s.   If we had not signed Fitz we could have let him compete against Geno for the starting job.  Teams like the Broncos can sign a veteran like Mark Sanchez, draft a qb in the first round and then change in mid stream and make a bold move by starting the "no name" guy Trevor Simian.  The Jets?  Always seem to play it safe.... and just where has that gotten us? 

8 minutes ago, ylekram said:

geno and petty can start when they earn that right. geno was gifted 3 starting gigs so far. how did that work out?

8-8 record first year playing on a horrible team.  Bad 2nd year but we were going to suck that year with or without him.

He got punched last year but I guess it was because of his qb play

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

This was my problem by guaranteeing him the starting position. Is Fitzpatrick really....REALLY playing on the level to where he should be guaranteed the starting position? And this isnt a "pro-Geno" position, Petty was the best looking QB this preseason. And granted, playing mostly against 3rd stringers and guys who will be cut isnt a reason to give a guy the position, but I still dont see where Fitz has removed himself so far from the competition that you guarantee him the spot and pay him 12 million to play. 

Crazy. 

My point exactly. 

2 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Yes and he will probably be starting by the end of the year or next.  We took Petty in the 4th last year and let him redshirt.  He played well in preseason with the 2s and 3s.   If we had not signed Fitz we could have let him compete against Geno for the starting job.  Teams like the Broncos can sign a veteran like Mark Sanchez, draft a qb in the first round and then change in mid stream and make a bold move by starting the "no name" guy Trevor Simian.  The Jets?  Always seem to play it safe.... and just where has that gotten us? 

I agree with what you are saying, but Goff cant even beat out Kenum's back up who is probably the worst starting QB in the NFL. Lets not put the Rams on the list of set at franchise QBs yet. 

I was totally on board with letting Petty and Geno battle it out for starting QB, unfortunately the FO didnt feel that way. We have seen enough of Fitz, he is who he is. 

2 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

8-8 record first year playing on a horrible team.  Bad 2nd year but we were going to suck that year with or without him.

He got punched last year but I guess it was because of his qb play

that 12 td's, 21 interceptions, and 8 fumbles really led the way to that 8-8 season. look, I am not saying geno was given the world to work with, quite the contrary. but during his 3 "gifted" starting qb gigs, he hasn't shown me enough for me to state that he earned the right to start. geno will start when geno earns the starting qb gig

Yeah I still think the resigning of Fitz had as much to do with what was behind Geno than anything.  Petty was abysmal last year and they didn't want Hack anywhere near the field this year.

So they re-signed the guy a few key players had a mancrush while making sure they had depth.  

I never thought, and still don't, that Macc, Bowles, or Gailey expected much better play out of Fitz than they did Geno.  Part of me thinks they were hoping Fitz would sign elsewhere so they didn't have to deal with it.

the fans who think re-signing Fitz was a bad mistake don't understand that football is a team sport. It requires the team to buy into the idea they can win

An open competition between Geno, Petty and Hack, all that does is make vets with only a couple years left like Nick Mangold, Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker check out. They won't play as hard, because they know there's no point. 

Fitz has his flaws, for sure, but the team actually believes in him

and by the way we aren't having this conversation if Christian Hackenberg wasn't such an absolute waste of a pick (like could he have been at least as good as Dak prescott who went undrafted, that would have been amazing). 

59 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

They resigned him for a couple of reasons.

1. The team likes the guy. Danger of losing the team if he doesn't sign.

2. It would be SOJ to not resign the QB with the best season in Jets history. 

3. He gives the younger QBs a mentor.

As for your examples, the Rams have Goff at 3rd string.

5 of those teams spent 1st or high second round picks on their QBs. They should be ready. Hackenberg is a low second round pick.

Are you for real with the whole best season in Jets history thing?   Do realize that is todays NFL those stats are almost pedestrian?   It is an indictment of how much our quarterbacks have sucked over the years, than anything else. 

Again I ask, do you think any HC worth his salt would be worried about "losing the team" if they decide to go with their young developing 4th round pick competing against another young former 2nd round pick to start?    In fact is SOJ to play an mediocre quarterback 12 million dollars and GUARANTEE he is the starter with ZERO competition.  Imagine if the Seahawks did that a few years ago?  They had already paid out a HUGE contract to whats his name; yet was outplayed by Russell Wilson who was just a 3rd rounder.   SOJ would have GUARANTEED the starting job to the big name FA and Wilson would have sat on the bench.  

The problem is the whole "win now" charade.  Instead of taking a chance and going with a young developing quarterback; SOJ way is to go with the "proven" but mediocre "VETERAN" quarterback. 

2 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Again I ask, do you think any HC worth his salt would be worried about "losing the team" if they decide to go with their young developing 4th round pick competing against another young former 2nd round pick to start?    

Petty's hurt, and Geno sucks sh*t through a straw. Instead of a 1 point loss to CINCI it's a 20 point loss. How is that better? 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

and by the way we aren't having this conversation if Christian Hackenberg wasn't such an absolute waste of a pick (like could he have been at least as good as Dak prescott who went undrafted, that would have been amazing). 

This, this, and this.

I don't understand for the life of me how we're still debating about any of the QBs on the roster. They all blow balls. None are the future. They are not going to be here.  And all that matters is there are 2 kids starting in the NFL right now that this organization passed on the past 2 years, and we spent a 2nd this year on a kid that couldn't even win the 3rd string job. The only thing that matters for us is having a FO that knows how to scout and locate talent for the quarterback position, that's #1 and anything else is a distant second, and thus far it looks like they don't know what they **** they are doing.

I agree. They did panic.

A week before camp started, they were slapped in the face with reality ("Holy sh*t, we're going into camp with Geno Smith as our starting QB!"), and decided it was time to call Fitz's agent.

Can't say I blame them. I'd have reacted the same way.

2 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I agree. They did panic.

A week before camp started, they were slapped in the face with reality ("Holy sh*t, we're going into camp with Geno Smith as our starting QB!"), and decided it was time to call Fitz's agent.

There is a reason that most negotiations go until the last possible second, that is when the leverage and the desire to compromise is the strongest. Doesn't mean panic, doesn't mean bad; it is just the way it is.

22 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

They saw Geno and Petty every day at Florham Park for months without Fitz and gave Geno most of the first team reps. 

Florham park and Training camp/preseason are two different things.  They didn't have the balls to go into camp and let them compete.   They were "scared" and took the "easy" way out to buy some time.   I can understand why they did but I don't agree with it.    Sometimes you just have to say "**** it" and let the players decide it on the field. 

1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

I hate to root for injury to any player but in Fitz case I will make an exception.  I have seen enough. 

Aaaaaand there it is.  Glad to see you're showing your true colors here, and that I can proceed to discredit/ignore everything you say when it comes to QB's going forward.  You've been a proponent of being "fair" to all QB's on the roster, and saying you support whoever the starter is, using that statement as a way of defending Geno from mean criticism.  And at the time, I thought you deserved the benefit of the doubt.  Yet here you are pulling for an injury to the starter.  What a joke. 

1 minute ago, JetBlue said:

Maybe but I don't know what you see when you watch Fitz, I see journeyman with no arm and no upside and it is tough to watch.    

I saw a respectable offense march up and down the field on a good team this past sunday. just couldnt finish enough drives which oddly enough was a strength of ours last year.  I am pissed we lost but in all, it is the first out of 16 games minimum.  I'll leave it to others to dissect his QB play and/or leadership.  Maybe i have battered jets fan syndrome where i have seen complete dogsh!t from the QB position for what seems like forever but I have faith that our vets that underperfomed will come around.  Hopefully sooner than later so that we get our ticket to the dance.

your avatar makes me want to motorboat 

Just now, JetBlue said:

You know this how? 

because key offensive players sat out of mini camp in support of Fitz. The team would roll over and play dead under Geno. We've seen it before, he's had 30 starts.  

If we were in a different reality where Geno didn't suck and Hack was at least as good as Dak Prescott, and Petty's shoulder was fully healthy, we could talk about how Fitz was a panic move. 

10 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Maybe but I don't know what you see when you watch Fitz, I see journeyman with no arm and no upside and it is tough to watch.    

I see the best option to win games out of Fitz, Geno, Petty (hurt) and Hack (lol).

I hate to root for injury to any player but in Fitz case I will make an exception.

Classless and despicable.  I'm embarrassed you're a fan of the same team as I am.

12 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

And, apparently, you also see a guy you want getting hurt so your boy Geno can get under center or so a clearly-not-ready-yet Bryce Petty can take the reins.  Because that's a nice attitude for a fan to have.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Aaaaaand there it is.  Glad to see you're showing your true colors here, and that I can proceed to discredit/ignore everything you say when it comes to QB's going forward.  You've been a proponent of being "fair" to all QB's on the roster, and saying you support whoever the starter is, using that statement as a way of defending Geno from mean criticism.  And at the time, I thought you deserved the benefit of the doubt.  Yet here you are pulling for an injury to the starter.  What a joke. 

he did not say that.... did you edit his post?

There I said it; one game into the season.  Why? Because I don't need 5 or 6 games to see Fitz just doesn't have the arm strength to scare defenses.    It will be dink and dunk and YAC all down the field.  One the reasons this worked last year is our effectiveness in the red zone.   Hopefully we will do better going forward than we did on Sunday. 

Unfortunately, guys like Robby Anderson, Charone Peake and eventually Devin Smith will be underutilized if used at all because of Fitzs pop gun arm.   I hope I'm wrong but I don't think so. 

I really wanted Geno to battle it out with Petty for the starting job going into camp.  I thought going in, that Geno would win that battle but Petty impressed the heck out of me with his arm and presence.  He as the Anti- Geno in that regard and seem to really take charge in the huddle.   I really would love to see what he could with all the weapons this team has.  

Instead I have to sit and watch a journeyman that NO OTHER TEAM EVEN MADE AN OFFER TO, be looked upon as the "best option" for the Jets. I mean how pathetic is that?  

Look at all the teams that just two years ago had no quarterback and now have their franchise or potential franchise quarterback in place

Raiders
Vikings
Eagles
Rams
Bucs
Jaquars
Titans
* Cowboys (Prescott looks like the real deal)
Hell even the Bills with T.Taylor and C. Jones

I am sure I probably could name a few others but the point is made.  

Meanwhile, we are trotting out Ryan Fitzpatrick..... let that sink in for minute.  Ryan FREAKING Fitzpatrick!!

We have watched guys like Trevor Simian and Dak Prescott come out of practically nowhere and play well but we didn't have the balls to go with our home grown talent.  Instead management caved into Fitz's demands and the end result is we are no closer to finding out if Petty lead this team or not.  

Hack is redshirted until 2017 and hopefully he will emerge but this would have been the perfect time to let Geno and Petty fight it out and let the best man start.   I am so sick of the fascination with mediocrity just because his teammates "love him" and wanted him back.    I mean who is in charge here?  Can you imagine something like this happening on the Patriots?  Do you think Bellicheck would give a flying **** what the players "wanted" when it came to personnel?  I guess that is one reason they are a perennial championship contender and we are still looking for our first true franchise quarterback since Namath. 

I can't with this team.... 

Somebody wake me up when they get some balls and starts Petty.   I hate to root for injury to any player but in Fitz case I will make an exception.  I have seen enough. 

Oh my this is dumb.......What would you of liked the Jets to do? Start Geno? Start Petty? Anyone with an ounce of football knowledge knows Petty is not where he needs to be in the NFL. He and Hack can continue to develop on the bench. Again what options did we have? Stop getting all wet about Prescott because he played well in preseason, he lost his first game too. You don't throw a young QB out there win a win now team who won 10 games last year with Ftiz at the helm.

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And there you go bringing up Geno.  If it makes you feel better Geno can get hurt too.  I am pulling for Petty to get the start and tired of mediocrity; how about you? 

15 minutes ago, bitonti said:

because key offensive players sat out of mini camp in support of Fitz. The team would roll over and play dead under Geno. We've seen it before, he's had 30 starts.  

If we were in a different reality where Geno didn't suck and Hack was at least as good as Dak Prescott, and Petty's shoulder was fully healthy, we could talk about how Fitz was a panic move. 

30 starts, none with the current roster

The Sissy move is stick with Fitz, go 1-5 and then start Geno or Petty

Just now, JetBlue said:

And there you go bringing up Geno.  If it makes you feel better Geno can get hurt too.  I am pulling for Petty to get the start and tired of mediocrity; how about you? 

Oh, so sorry about being mean to Geno.  No, it doesn't make it better.  Rooting for any Jet to get hurt is despicable.  I'm tired of mediocrity too, but that isn't the way to go about it. 

Archived