Jets Panicked and Resigned Fitz.

JetBlue

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh, so sorry about being mean to Geno.  No, it doesn't make it better.  Rooting for any Jet to get hurt is despicable.  I'm tired of mediocrity too, but that isn't the way to go about it. 

Whatever, dude.  I didn't say die; just miss 4 or 5 games so they are forced to play someone else.  That is only way Petty gets a shot, sorry if that hurts your and War Guppies feelings.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

30 starts, none with the current roster

The Sissy move is stick with Fitz, go 1-5 and then start Geno or Petty

they lost to the Bengals, who are excellent, by one point. On a day when the FG kicker missed an XP. This doesn't look like a 1-5 team. 

3 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

What the **** are you talking about?? 

3 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Have NO IDEA what you are talking about. 

lol.  The part about you rooting for Fitz to get hurt magically disappeared, then reappeared again.  Maybe a mod edited your post and thought better of it, but it happened. 

5 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Whatever, dude.  I didn't say die; just miss 4 or 5 games so they are forced to play someone else.  That is only way Petty gets a shot, sorry if that hurts your and War Guppies feelings.

Geno is # 2 on the depth chart.  So Fitz getting hurt does little for that goal.  I'd rather root for Fitz to play as well as possible than root for 2 QB's to get hurt.  But that's just me. 

You spent all offseason talking about how you'd support any QB under center for the Jets, and then pull this.  Strange stuff man.

44 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the fans who think re-signing Fitz was a bad mistake don't understand that football is a team sport. It requires the team to buy into the idea they can win

An open competition between Geno, Petty and Hack, all that does is make vets with only a couple years left like Nick Mangold, Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker check out. They won't play as hard, because they know there's no point. 

Fitz has his flaws, for sure, but the team actually believes in him

and by the way we aren't having this conversation if Christian Hackenberg wasn't such an absolute waste of a pick (like could he have been at least as good as Dak prescott who went undrafted, that would have been amazing). 

Maybe, just maybe guys like Mangold, Marshall and Decker need to understand that its a "team sport". That statement works both ways. The concept of being a "team sport" doesnt just work in Fitz favor. 

If there was an open competition and another QB won then wouldnt that be best for the "team"? Honestly, after the performance I seen on Sunday, I honestly couldnt sit here and say that I positively believe that Geno nor Petty couldnt have done any better...especially where there's no threat of a deep pass. 

Some think that Fitz is a better QB than Geno/Petty, but Fitz limits the players we have on the team. What about Robbie, Charone and Devin? They're basically unusable because of Fitz. Isnt this a "team sport"? Using a guy who could expand the weapons on offense could open up the offense by giving it more versatility. If Mangold, Marshall and Decker have a problem with that, maybe we should get rid of them given that they're not about "the team". 

We're losing games against good teams, we're getting swept by rivals in our division. We have a 50% success rate in our division, we missed the playoffs, we're 1-7 against teams who score 3 TD's on average, we're 2-5 against playoff teams. What is Fitz doing that's so damn amazing?

1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

There I said it; one game into the season.  Why? Because I don't need 5 or 6 games to see Fitz just doesn't have the arm strength to scare defenses.    It will be dink and dunk and YAC all down the field.  One the reasons this worked last year is our effectiveness in the red zone.   Hopefully we will do better going forward than we did on Sunday. 

Unfortunately, guys like Robby Anderson, Charone Peake and eventually Devin Smith will be underutilized if used at all because of Fitzs pop gun arm.   I hope I'm wrong but I don't think so. 

I really wanted Geno to battle it out with Petty for the starting job going into camp.  I thought going in, that Geno would win that battle but Petty impressed the heck out of me with his arm and presence.  He as the Anti- Geno in that regard and seem to really take charge in the huddle.   I really would love to see what he could with all the weapons this team has.  

Instead I have to sit and watch a journeyman that NO OTHER TEAM EVEN MADE AN OFFER TO, be looked upon as the "best option" for the Jets. I mean how pathetic is that?  

Look at all the teams that just two years ago had no quarterback and now have their franchise or potential franchise quarterback in place

Raiders
Vikings
Eagles
Rams
Bucs
Jaquars
Titans
* Cowboys (Prescott looks like the real deal)
Hell even the Bills with T.Taylor and C. Jones

I am sure I probably could name a few others but the point is made.  

Meanwhile, we are trotting out Ryan Fitzpatrick..... let that sink in for minute.  Ryan FREAKING Fitzpatrick!!

We have watched guys like Trevor Simian and Dak Prescott come out of practically nowhere and play well but we didn't have the balls to go with our home grown talent.  Instead management caved into Fitz's demands and the end result is we are no closer to finding out if Petty lead this team or not.  

Hack is redshirted until 2017 and hopefully he will emerge but this would have been the perfect time to let Geno and Petty fight it out and let the best man start.   I am so sick of the fascination with mediocrity just because his teammates "love him" and wanted him back.    I mean who is in charge here?  Can you imagine something like this happening on the Patriots?  Do you think Bellicheck would give a flying **** what the players "wanted" when it came to personnel?  I guess that is one reason they are a perennial championship contender and we are still looking for our first true franchise quarterback since Namath. 

I can't with this team.... 

Somebody wake me up when they get some balls and starts Petty.   I hate to root for injury to any player but in Fitz case I will make an exception.  I have seen enough. 

I think we saw enough last year to know what we were getting this year. People clamoured to the Td-int ratio and record and thought it makes a difference he and Marshall are buddies.  

This isnt a sh*tty QB. This is a good, solid Mediocre QB. And the team around him is too talented to completely implode.. Barring injuries. But I'll be extremely surprised if it's more than 8-9 wins this year. They seem like a very, solid, average team w Fitz at Qb.

I don't root for injuries, period.

But IMO there is nothing wrong with being aggressive with getting an upgrade at QB, promoting competition and putting a superior product on the field.  The Jets believed that Fitz was the best option, time will tell but the team is hardly as "horrible" as some out here suggest.

I agree with you.

My take from the get go was the only thing Fitz will do is give us a worse draft pick next year.

Let Geno start and by some miracle the light comes on and we win 11 games (10-15% chance), or he stays the same and we go 5-11 (85-90% chance) and we get a good draft pick.

Instead we go with Fitz and lock us in at 7-9 wins (100%). He is what he is. And another mid range pick where you're not finding a franchise qb

7 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Maybe, just maybe guys like Mangold, Marshall and Decker need to understand that its a "team sport". That statement works both ways. The concept of being a "team sport" doesnt just work in Fitz favor. 

they aren't robots. If the team starts a GEno it sends a statement that they aren't serious about winning.  And whether they play hard or not they will lose anyway. 

Pro Football isn't about ability. All 32 teams have ability, for the most part. It's about what these guys believe they can do. 

Just now, bitonti said:

they aren't robots. If the team starts a GEno it sends a statement that they aren't serious about winning.  And whether they play hard or not they will lose anyway. 

Pro Football isn't about ability. All 32 teams have ability, for the most part. It's about what these guys believe they can do. 

But they havent been winning meaningful games with Fitzpatrick. What do you call that then? 

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lol.  The part about you rooting for Fitz to get hurt magically disappeared, then reappeared again.  Maybe a mod edited your post and thought better of it, but it happened. 

It wasn't me. I stand by what I posted. I don't want the guy to have a career threatening injury but if he has to miss a few games so perhaps Petty gets a shot (if healthy himself) I am all for it.  And for the love of all that is Holy, THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH GENO SMITH.  That is for you and everyone else who keeps bringing him up... 

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

But they havent been winning meaningful games with Fitzpatrick. What do you call that then? 

all the games are meaningful. They won 10 last year. They lost this year their first game by a point. I'd call it disappointing but not proof that Geno should start or whatever.  They have no better alternatives. 

The Big decision is when we are out of contention, do you continue with Fitz, or go youth? I think we go Petty at that point see what we have.

In a lost cause with two young QB's on the roster you don't put Geno in. I think they only do that if they are still In the hunt and Fitz goes down.

I say by week 9/10 they turn to Petty, and we can see if we have the future here or not?

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Oh really? Who?

This team wanted to sign him to a 3 year deal.  Next offseason, will be a repeat of this offseason...held hostage by Ryan Fitzpatrick.  I highly doubt anyone but Fitz is the starter again going into 2017.  

This is why they should have moved on from him THIS season.

Then you must be really deluded. They wanted to sign him to a 3 year deal in case he repeated is season from last year against a tougher schedule and then they could trade him with value.

As for cutting ties, you try to explain to your fanbase. "We had a QB that had the greatest statistical season in Jets history and we are letting him go"

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Geno is # 2 on the depth chart.  So Fitz getting hurt does little for that goal.  I'd rather root for Fitz to play as well as possible than root for 2 QB's to get hurt.  But that's just me. 

You spent all offseason talking about how you'd support any QB under center for the Jets, and then pull this.  Strange stuff man.

You are right; perhaps I am just frustrated with Fitz lack of arm strength and can see teams adjusting to this.  We need to be able to stretch the field and somehow he has got be able to get ball down the field.  I really don't care to see Geno; the guy I am intrigued with is Petty.   

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm not the one who'll need to get over it.  You're rooting for our own players to fail and get hurt.  That's all you, man.

Whatever dude.  I am okay with it.  Fitz arm is not getting any stronger. 

Just now, JetBlue said:

You are right; perhaps I am just frustrated with Fitz lack of arm strength and can see teams adjusting to this.  We need to be able to stretch the field and somehow he has got be able to get ball down the field.  I really don't care to see Geno; the guy I am intrigued with is Petty.   

Teams adjusting? They should have known about this for the last two years

Just now, bitonti said:

all the games are meaningful. They won 10 last year. They lost this year their first game by a point. I'd call it disappointing but not proof that Geno should start or whatever.  They have no better alternatives. 

Sure bitonti, all the games are meaningful. But when you win 10 games but you miss the playoffs because you get swept by a division rival and you lose the tiebreaker to Pitt because of all of the AFC games you lost during the season, then there are meaningful games that you lost. 

Sunday we lost to AFC team in our house because we blew a bunch of redzone drives and had our 12 million dollar QB put teh game in the hands of our 2 million dollar kicker. The game was meaningful to the point that we could possibly miss the playoffs given the conference that team is in...not just because we lost a football game. Some games mean more than others. Controlling your destiny in week 17 means that you shouldnt throw 3 picks in the 4th quarter to end the season. Playing against the Texans last year (AFC opponent) means that you shouldnt throw a pick to end the game when you need that win. Playing against the Bengals (AFC opponent) means that you shouldnt throw a pick to end the game on 3rd and 10. 

Fitz led the league in INT's in the 4th qtr last season. He seems like he's in prime form right now. 

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The 10 wins got them what exactly? 

5 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

fitz doesn't have a great arm but it's good enough to chuck it 30-40 yards downfield, and they needed to try it a few times vs cincy.  it keeps defenses honest and maybe they get a completion or penalty.  that's why you have robbie anderson and peake on the team.  they are tall and fast and can take the top off of defenses.  i don't understand why they didn't try it.  they need to take attention away from marshall and decker, and they need to at least bluff they have big play capacity. it's as if they think they can keep running the same 5 slants to marshall and decker over and over and over and the opposing defensive coaches won't adjust to this.

23 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I don't root for injuries, period.

But IMO there is nothing wrong with being aggressive with getting an upgrade at QB, promoting competition and putting a superior product on the field.  The Jets believed that Fitz was the best option, time will tell but the team is hardly as "horrible" as some out here suggest.

Fair enough;....   I don't think the team is horrible at all.  In fact I think our offense has the potential to be very good IF we could stretch the field.   With Fitz, I don't see that happening and Bowles is too stubborn to make a move unless we are out of playoff contention, hence the injury to force his hand.  Sorry but that is how I feel at this point. 

7 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Yes but when you have an entire off season and 16 games of film to work with it does make a difference.   

The Pats should have been ready for it

1 minute ago, JetBlue said:

Fair enough;....   I don't think the team is horrible at all.  In fact I think our offense has the potential to be very good IF we could stretch the field.   With Fitz, I don't see that happening and Bowles is too stubborn to make a move unless we are out of playoff contention, hence the injury to force his hand.  Sorry but that is how I feel at this point. 

The only teams I can think of that made a QB change midseason without force of injury and it worked out really well are the Cowboys (Morton and Staubach) and the Redskins (Williams and Schroeder)

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

fitz doesn't have a great arm but it's good enough to chuck it 30-40 yards downfield, and they needed to try it a few times vs cincy.  it keeps defenses honest and maybe they get a completion or penalty.  that's why you have robbie anderson and peake on the team.  they are tall and fast and can take the top off of defenses.  i don't understand why they didn't try it.  they need to take attention away from marshall and decker, and they need to at least bluff they have big play capacity. it's as if they think they can keep running the same 5 slants to marshall and decker over and over and over and the opposing defensive coaches won't adjust to this.

That is a great point.  Gailey has to find a way to integrate one or two of those guys into the offense.  In fact I was surprised Anderson didn't get at least a little action.  J. Marshall is quick but is not creating any real separation.  

1 minute ago, JetBlue said:

That is a great point.  Gailey has to find a way to integrate one or two of those guys into the offense.  In fact I was surprised Anderson didn't get at least a little action.  J. Marshall is quick but is not creating any real separation.  

jalin is great in space.  that ko return is a good example.  but why not throw robbie anderson in there and chuck him the ball, he'll probably have single coverage.  maybe the cb messes up and they get a flag.  speed changes how defenses play you.

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

jalin is great in space.  that ko return is a good example.  but why not throw robbie anderson in there and chuck him the ball, he'll probably have single coverage.  maybe the cb messes up and they get a flag.  speed changes how defenses play you.

That is my point.  I am not saying to not play Marshall but after the preseason this kid had, to not even put him out there was stupid.   Perhaps he lined up as a decoy at some point but I don't remember seeing him on the field. 

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Two of our redzone drives came on Jalin getting two DPI's on the defense. Good point

Just now, JetBlue said:

That is my point.  I am not saying to not play Marshall but after the preseason this kid had, to not even put him out there was stupid.   Perhaps he lined up as a decoy at some point but I don't remember seeing him on the field. 

marshall was in on some plays.  didn't see the other 2.  they obviously have faith in marshall, he's returning both punts and kickoffs.

Archived