No Home Field Advantage Today

isired

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

They havent won anything either. 

MetLife is a shared stadium with the NY Giants. 

Why does this bother every 100th person? Who gives a shlt that when the Jets are on the road the Giants are using the stadium?  What kind of odd penis envy is at work here?  Why do you want the owner to spend an additional billion or so for no reason at all? 

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, no psls said:

I still have my painter's cap !!!!!

Unfortunately I don't, mine didn't make it out of the stadium. It's a collectors item, a part of true Jets lore. Monday night game against Buffalo, down 24-0 at the half, highly flammable painters caps mixed with copious amounts of alcohol and boom!!  

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Why does this bother every 10th person? Who gives a shlt that when the Jets are on the road the Gisnts are using the stadium?  What kind of odd penis envy is at work here?  Why do you want the owner to spend an additional billion or so for no reason at all? 

Because we had the opportunity to build our very own state of the art  stadium where the place could be NY Jets 365 24/7 

I dont like living in an apartment or a duplex or a townhouse or a condo 

4 minutes ago, Green DNA said:

Unfortunately I don't, mine didn't make it out of the stadium. It's a collectors item, a part of true Jets lore. Monday night game against Buffalo, down 24-0 at the half, highly flammable painters caps mixed with copious amounts of alcohol and boom!!  

Do you remember the big blowup pumpkin, that kept getting batted around the stadium. The game was so bad the crowd was cheering for the pumpkin. When it went over the wall and security took it the chant we want the pumpkin was so loud security actually gave it back. 

15 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Do you remember the big blowup pumpkin, that kept getting batted around the stadium. The game was so bad the crowd was cheering for the pumpkin. When it went over the wall and security took it the chant we want the pumpkin was so loud security actually gave it back. 

What about the blow up dolls and the balloon penises and balls. 

11 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

The pumpkin is a part of Jets history. Don't forget the obligatory c*ck'-n-balls balloon floating down from the upper deck, which pretty much happened at most home games.   Funny stuff. 

27 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Because we had the opportunity to build our very own state of the art  stadium where the place could be NY Jets 365 24/7 

You don't.  But thanks for not answering the question. 

35 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Why does this bother every 100th person? Who gives a shlt that when the Jets are on the road the Giants are using the stadium?  What kind of odd penis envy is at work here?  Why do you want the owner to spend an additional billion or so for no reason at all? 

Have you seen any of the newer stadiums?  How about the Vikings new place?  We built a concrete jungle with poor seating when we could have built the Taj Mahal of NFL stadiums. 

43 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

You're right. This stadium sucks aesthetically speaking. You could call the stadium, "Not Jets Stadium" for all I care about, I just wish it was built like the modern stadiums today. For as modern as this stadium is, its basic in every sense of the word. 

Dallas is much nicer, San Fran doesn't deal with weather like we do, Minnesota is brutal in winters, so they built a dome. Heck, even Miami built a semi-roof to attract people. This stadium is just not up with the times. 

1 hour ago, BP said:

So since 2010 and the new stadium, how many home playoff games have you been to? you're spending all of your money on a garbage product and are bragging about it? Well I can tell you that this quitter is pointing and laughing at prestigious season ticket holders (like yourself) while I stay home and watch the games on the big cheap flat screen

I am not bragging about anything, no Jets fan has earned that right.

When challenged on my dedication I will defend myself and use my 100s of attended games as evidence.

The product was garbage from 2011 to 2014 because we were coached by a lunatic and general managed by a moron.  This season, we can go 2-14 and it's just fine because I believe in Mike Maccagnan and the new direction Woody Johnson is taking.  It amazes me how fickle and impatient some of you can be.  We are a rebuilding team, a 4-12 John Idzik disaster that's held together with rubber cement and twine.  We weren't a 10 win team last year and no one should be disappointed with 1-3 this year. 

SAR I

3 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

I'm still a season ticket holder and still go to almost every game. The gameday experience at the new stadium is lousy compared to that at the Old stadium. For some reason the Jets marketing team thinks football fans need to be entertained every second of the game with garbage gimmicks, stupid crap on the video boards and incessantly loud music blaring all the time. Its football make the experience about the game not all the other ancillary sh*t. 

Agreed, it's like an NBA game, I'm not sure who decided that we need to be bombarded with music/video every second of every TV timeout, I can't hear myself think most times, my throat will hurt just trying to tell my son something and he's 18" from my mouth.  It's awful.

SAR I

3 hours ago, BP said:

Shame on you lol didn't the Jets raise ticket prices this year? Like that was really needed hahaha and now they have a sh*t product jets fans are now paying more for and people wonder why the stadium is loaded with opposing fans?

The Jets hadn't raised prices since 2009, that's 7 years and we were paying the same thing we were paying in Giants Stadium.  That time off from a price increase practically eliminated the PSL in my instance, I'd expected a $30 to $50 price increase by now, never happened.

When you are "rebuilding" it takes years.  If you aren't the type of fan willing to put in the hard time for the moment in the future when we rise from the ashes then you're the definition of a front runner.  As a New York Rangers fan whose 4 year high school career aligned with Islanders dominance in the 80s I can tell you that the pain and suffering I felt back then added to the joy I felt when we won it all in '94.  You can't just drop-out on the Jets when we are in a down cycle and pick it back up when we are good again, doesn't work that way.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Hofstra Jet said:

If/When the team is good, the stadium is crowded, when we stink, its empty. Thats just the way the world works now. It's true in almost all cases.. 

And that's a good thing, not a bad thing.

Remember, all the old timers born in the 1960's you hear whining right now weren't in it for the football.  They were in it for the booze.  What's happening now is that there are fans in the stadiums across the country who want to see a good football game, go to the stadium's to get away from the TV, want to concentrate on just one game, want to see plays develop, want to help the team on third down.

Back in the 80s and 90s it had nothing to do with football, had everything to do with a bunch of struggling blue collar workers acting like apes, trying to hold on to their dirtbag college days at a tailgate, getting away from the wife, listening to Springsteen's "Glory Days" the I-Ching of the post-high school loser, making football stadiums into a drunkards paradise.  The current generation of 30 and 40 year olds aren't into this crap anymore, alcohol isn't cool, public drunkenness is an embarrassment.

Any time you hear someone say "oh, the stadium atmosphere is terrible, it's too corporate" ask them if they have their original liver.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Agreed.  Why do people care what our stadium is doing on the 255 days a year we aren't there?  Through the use of technology, the place looks 100% Jets and 100% Giants on the days those teams play there, it's such a ridiculous stance.

SAR I

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Remember, all the old timers born in the 1960's you hear whining right now weren't in it for the football.  They were in it for the booze.  What's happening now is that there are fans in the stadiums across the country who want to see a good football game, go to the stadium's to get away from the TV, want to concentrate on just one game, want to see plays develop, want to help the team on third down.

Back in the 80s and 90s it had nothing to do with football, had everything to do with a bunch of struggling blue collar workers acting like apes, trying to hold on to their dirtbag college days at a tailgate, getting away from the wife, listening to Springsteen's "Glory Days" the I-Ching of the post-high school loser, making football stadiums into a drunkards paradise.  The current generation of 30 and 40 year olds aren't into this crap anymore, alcohol isn't cool, public drunkenness is an embarrassment.

Any time you hear someone say "oh, the stadium atmosphere is terrible, it's too corporate" ask them if they have their original liver.

SAR I

Image result for mullet pics

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

JetsAtShea_zps90a47e38.jpg

Yeah, because this was such a great place to play.  The Mets sh-t all over the Jets, our first 5 games as defending Super Bowl Champions were played on the road because the Mets wouldn't let us play there.  Can you imagine?  And those games we lost?  Prevented us from hosting the 6-6 Oilers in the playoff instead of the 11-3 Chiefs, might have gone to another Super Bowl if not for our baseball home field.

MetLife is a great stadium, I'm very proud to watch games there.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

JetsAtShea_zps90a47e38.jpg

Yeah, because this was such a great place to play.  The Mets sh-t all over the Jets, our first 5 games as defending Super Bowl Champions were played on the road because the Mets wouldn't let us play there.  Can you imagine?  And those games we lost?  Prevented us from hosting the 6-6 Oilers in the playoff instead of the 11-3 Chiefs, might have gone to another Super Bowl if not for our baseball home field.

MetLife is a great stadium, I'm very proud to watch games there.

SAR I

SAR I with all due respect have you seen some of the newer stadiums being built around the NFL 

The Vikings stadium being show cased tonight is amazing from what I've seem so far

We should have had the best stadium in the NFL we had the chance we blew it 

Retractable roof and then some 

12 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

I agree.. I think the in game experience for some fans would vastly get better if they stopped serving booze. I hate going to games and seeing all these drunkards, wondering to myself, "are we going to be sharing a road home together"

The Jets do not care who buys their seats, whether its suits, drunks, or just regular fans, they care about the bottom line, and the bottom line only. Like mentioned earlier, they need to get rid of these moronic gimmicks of white outs and green outs, and putting anyone that has ever worn a Jets jersey in the "Ring of Honor". Winning is the greatest factor in attracting fans. I agree with you when you say rebuilding is what this team needs. As a paying customer, some fans do not understand that just because you are paying to see the team we're going to win. It takes time. We just don't know how much time. 

20 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

SAR I with all due respect have you seen some of the newer stadiums being built around the NFL 

The Vikings stadium being show cased tonight is amazing from what I've seem so far

We should have had the best stadium in the NFL we had the chance we blew it 

Retractable roof and then some 

You realize that Vikings stadium holds 20,000 fewer fans than MetLife does, yes?  And that with perfect indoor conditions is ruins one of the best natural homefield advantages in all of sports, yes?

So this is what you want?  A small Jets stadium that would displace 15,000 fans and raise ticket prices and PSL fees even higher?  A warm Jets stadium that lets the Dolphins and the aging Tom Brady play in 75 degree windless sunshine in December and January?

The irony.  You are describing a stadium that feels like a quaint living room with a warm fireplace.  Sound familiar?  It's what you have now.  Just with cheaper pretzels.

SAR I

27 minutes ago, Hofstra Jet said:

I agree.. I think the in game experience for some fans would vastly get better if they stopped serving booze. I hate going to games and seeing all these drunkards, wondering to myself, "are we going to be sharing a road home together"

The Jets do not care who buys their seats, whether its suits, drunks, or just regular fans, they care about the bottom line, and the bottom line only. Like mentioned earlier, they need to get rid of these moronic gimmicks of white outs and green outs, and putting anyone that has ever worn a Jets jersey in the "Ring of Honor". Winning is the greatest factor in attracting fans. I agree with you when you say rebuilding is what this team needs. As a paying customer, some fans do not understand that just because you are paying to see the team we're going to win. It takes time. We just don't know how much time. 

Good post, Hofstra.

I view the Jets as in a transition from the drunkard generation to the diehard generation, from 55 year old fans in a midlife crisis who just want to get away from the wife and life's troubles and get piss drunk to 35 year old fans who enthusiastically want to support the team with their voices and want to do it with the wife and kids to celebrate life's successes.  From a boorish Boys Club to a cherished family experience.  An NFL tailgate is one of the last vestiges of old 42nd Street culture with the squeegee guys, the prostitutes, the booze, the lawlessness.

So in that transition, some strange things occur.  The helmet races, the tee-boys, the contests, the t-shirt cannons, all designed to make the kids happy.  To allow normal people to navigate around the belligerent drunks, they created Club parking lots.  To allow good people to avoid exposure to the burping and farting and cursing, PSL's move these malcontents to the upper decks.  The pie-shaped stadium design keeps fans in their specific sections, no mingling, strict class division.  Within a decade or two they'll all be gone, tailgating will be viewed as a charming relic, alcohol will be outlawed at all stadiums.  Can't wait.

SAR I

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You realize that Vikings stadium holds 20,000 fewer fans than MetLife does, yes?  And that with perfect indoor conditions is ruins one of the best natural homefield advantages in all of sports, yes?

So this is what you want?  A small Jets stadium that would displace 15,000 fans and raise ticket prices and PSL fees even higher?  A warm Jets stadium that lets the Dolphins and the aging Tom Brady play in 75 degree windless sunshine in December and January?

The irony.  You are describing a stadium that feels like a quaint living room with a warm fireplace.  Sound familiar?  It's what you have now.  Just with cheaper pretzels.

SAR I

I actually think a stadium that held less fans would be ideal for the front office of the New York Jets. It would create a supply in demand atmosphere, and if ticket prices are raised, people will pay them, or just not go to the games. It's the same thing we have now honestly. 

I don't think the weather in December will play a factor at all as you speak. New England has played plenty of games in the snow/wind/rain. They have won many playoff games in those conditions. The Jets will never win a game vs. a division opponent because the opponent was not used to playing in these conditions. 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Have you seen any of the newer stadiums?  How about the Vikings new place?  We built a concrete jungle with poor seating when we could have built the Taj Mahal of NFL stadiums. 

Who gives a shlt?  You go to watch football or the stadium?  There's nothing wrong with the seats and replay screens in the stadium.  What the outside and halls look like, the whiney folks biggest gripe, has nothing to do with enjoying a football game and buy season tickets. 

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Who gives a shlt?  You go to watch football or the stadium?  There's nothing wrong with the seats and replay screens in the stadium.  What the outside and halls look like, the whiney folks biggest gripe, has nothing to do with enjoying a football game and buy season tickets. 

The product sucks too! Havent had a playoff game in that dungeon. 

8 minutes ago, Hofstra Jet said:

I don't think the weather in December will play a factor at all as you speak. New England has played plenty of games in the snow/wind/rain. They have won many playoff games in those conditions. The Jets will never win a game vs. a division opponent because the opponent was not used to playing in these conditions. 

We play in a conference where 8 of 16 teams play in warm weather or in domes and a goal of hosting playoff games in January.  Cold weather teams can march into a warm weather or dome stadium in January and raise their level of play.  Warm weather or dome teams struggle in the frigid January wind, the icy turf, the snow.

Datapoints?  Ask the Florida Jaguars how it felt in 1998 in New Jersey.  Ask the Dome Colts how it felt in 2002 in Giants Stadium.  Ask the Jets if they minded a 2009 January game against the SoCal Chargers or a 2010 January game against the Dome Colts.

SAR I

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

My PSL's cost me $13 a game, chump change.  The most affordable PSL's were in the lower level and could be had for $7 a game, the cost of half a beer.

The Jets didn't raise ticket prices from 2009 to 2016, that's 7 years worth of savings, offset about 80% of the cost of the PSL by my estimation.

MetLife is our own stadium. 

SAR I

Metlife is a financial windfall for the Jet and giant owners , For the regular fan , it's a headache . SAR , YOU ARE NOT A REGULAR FAN !!!!!!!

Just now, SAR I said:

We play in a conference where 8 of 16 teams play in warm weather or in domes and a goal of hosting playoff games in January.  Cold weather teams can march into a warm weather or dome stadium in January and raise their level of play.  Warm weather or dome teams struggle in the frigid January wind, the icy turf, the snow.

Datapoints?  Ask the Florida Jaguars how it felt in 1998 in New Jersey.  Ask the Dome Colts how it felt in 2002 in Giants Stadium.  Ask the Jets if they minded a 2009 January game against the SoCal Chargers or a 2010 January game against the Dome Colts.

SAR I

I can't argue with what you just said. I just think that a dome would be a nice feature to have, and might attract a better atmosphere. New York is a fickle environment, and rain/cold/snow has deterred many a fan away from our games. 

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

This season, we can go 2-14 and it's just fine because I believe in Mike Maccagnan and the new direction Woody Johnson is taking. 

Only a moron ENJOYS going to a 2-14 season !!!!! You sound like Greg Buttle , a home team cheerleader who spews good about everything all the time !!!

24 minutes ago, Hofstra Jet said:

I actually think a stadium that held less fans would be ideal for the front office of the New York Jets. It would create a supply in demand atmosphere, and if ticket prices are raised, people will pay them, or just not go to the games. It's the same thing we have now honestly.

It makes no sense to have a 66,000 seat stadium in New York when the Jets and Giants routinely pack 80,000+ in there on the measly 8 games a year they play.  That would be financial suicide, needless bleeding that other cities would kill for.  MetLife Stadium has made the Jets one of the wealthiest teams in the league where we used to be one of the poorest, the Giants Stadium deal being atrocious. 

I am quite proud that even during the dark Idzik years, the Jets are #1 in the AFC in attendance, we outdraw the Patriots by 100,000 fans a year, we can support a fully-enclosed (no open endzones) stadium, and all of this in a span when a team in our same town is winning Super Bowls.  The Jets have more obstacles than any other NFL team yet we thrive, we have loyal fans, we matter.  You see the game tonight in Minneapolis?  Looks great, looks rowdy?  Well, just yesterday, we had 15,000 more fans in our building, it's a testament to Jets season ticket holders.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/attendance/_/year/2015/sort/homeTotal

SAR I

4 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

I'm still a season ticket holder and still go to almost every game. The gameday experience at the new stadium is lousy compared to that at the Old stadium. For some reason the Jets marketing team thinks football fans need to be entertained every second of the game with garbage gimmicks, stupid crap on the video boards and incessantly loud music blaring all the time. Its football make the experience about the game not all the other ancillary sh*t. 

You finally made a valid point !!! The team is marketed towards 20-30 year olds who will do ANYTHING but watch the game !!!!!!

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

PSL's allow loyal Jets fans to attend the games they can and easily sell the ones they can't.

Easily sell ????? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!! In what galaxy ???????????????????

13 minutes ago, no psls said:

Metlife is a financial windfall for the Jet and giant owners , For the regular fan , it's a headache . SAR , YOU ARE NOT A REGULAR FAN !!!!!!!

Take a breath, listen to me.  I am very much a regular fan.  I don't have Club seats.  At $7,000 my PSL's were the least expensive in the stadium at the outset, it was only later in the process that the Jets dropped the prices to $3,500 in some sections.  When you average out the PSL's over the course of 30 years and 10 games a year, it's $13 a game, that's less than the cost of a beer.  I say that not to be smug but to point out that if someone can afford a $125 gameday ticket and tolls and gas and tailgating they certainly can afford $13 for the PSL fee.

And do not forget that PSL's could be had as low as $7 a game for lower level endzone corner seats that are quite good.  And do not forget that the Jets raised ticket prices from $80 to $125 between 2005 and 2009 and no one batted an eye, no one complained, that's $45 in a four year period, that's very steep.  Yet from 2009 to 2015 the Jets did not raise prices a dime, in fact they lowered prices in certain sections, some upper deck seats were $50.

If you compare the price of the PSL to the ticket price increase that never came and the cost of things like tolls and parking, the PSL isn't a big deal, it's not a lot of money.  I believe you have a philosophical problem with PSL's as a concept and that's the way it is in NFL stadiums these days.  Pay the $7 or don't.  But don't make it about "oh, it's so much money" because that's simply not true.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

At $7,000 my PSL's were the least expensive in the stadium at the outset,

That's $7000.00 that you should not have had to pay . If a rich owner wants to build HIMSELF a football stadium , LET HIM PAY FOR IT . PSL's are legalized extortion . Who benefitsand makes money from the stadium ; the owner , not the fan  .

5 minutes ago, no psls said:

Easily sell ????? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!! In what galaxy ???????????????????

My wife and daughter had a soccer game and so 2 of my 4 seats for yesterday's Seattle game were going to go unused.

So I listed them on Stubhub last Tuesday for $50 over face and they sold in a day.

In fact, in the 7 seasons MetLife has been open I have never taken a loss on the seats I couldn't use.  I either make a few bucks or lose a few bucks on the average games and then I score 1.5 to 2X face value for the really good games.  If I did not have the ability to easily sell my unused tickets I wouldn't be a season ticket holder as it would just be better to skim only the games I actually could go to and for the amount of seats I needed.

Advice:  Stop chasing windmills.  Real PSL owners are thrilled with their decisions on how to spend their fun money back in 2009.  You can try to shoot a hole through our experience all you want but it's not going to get you anywhere.  These fallacies you perpetuate just make you look foolish.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

My wife and daughter had a soccer game and so 2 of my 4 seats for yesterday's Seattle game were going to go unused.

So I listed them on Stubhub last Tuesday for $50 over face and they sold in a day.

In fact, in the 7 seasons MetLife has been open I have never taken a loss on the seats I couldn't use.  I either make a few bucks or lose a few bucks on the average games and then I score 1.5 to 2X face value for the really good games.  If I did not have the ability to easily sell my unused tickets I wouldn't be a season ticket holder as it would just be better to skim only the games I actually could go to and for the amount of seats I needed.

Advice:  Stop chasing windmills.  Real PSL owners are thrilled with their decisions on how to spend their fun money back in 2009.  You can try to shoot a hole through our experience all you want but it's not going to get you anywhere.  These fallacies you perpetuate just make you look foolish.

SAR I

You are a bigger shill for this team than Greg Buttle ; and that's hard to do !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived