Can we please admit that the real problem is Woody Johnson?

Lizard King

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, SAR I said:

In the 15 seasons Woody Johnson has owned the Jets:

We have had a .500 or better record 11 of 15 years
We have had a winning record 9 of 15 years
We have made the playoffs 6 of 15 tries
We have won 6 playoff games

All of this while having the greatest head coach and quarterback who ever lived in the same division.

Yeah, we don't get hats and rings for this but I could name 20 other NFL franchises that would kill for this resume, and statistically speaking if those teams weren't facing Belichick/Brady they'd have won a Championship or two.  Woody has done just fine here.

SAR I

Like I said earlier and thanks for repeating me he inherited a good team when he first got here that's where most of those "accomplishments" came from.  He hand picked John Idzik, forced Tannenbaum to trade for Tim Tebow, didn't have the brains or balls to tell Rex to tank for Winston two years ago  and now Bowles is going to start Fitz all 16 games so we can go 4-12 and draft another mediocre DB in round 1.

Woody Johnson is a disaster.  A bottom 3 owner in the NFL.   

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

The real problem isn't Woody Johnson, it's Jets fans who don't want to face a real rebuild.

Every time we do the right thing and fire the head coach we unfortunately have a 10 win season, think we've fixed all our problems, load up on free agents, and fall flat on our faces until the cycle repeats itself over and over again.  You are in Year 2 Game 4 of a multi-year rebuild.  Last year's 10 wins were against a cupcake schedule.  This year's schedule is very challenging.

I applaud Woody for doing it the right way this time, not taking shortcuts to appease unrealistic fans.

SAR I

Did one of us forget to wear their lucky green socks?  Logically flawed argument to blame the consumer for a poorly designed product.  Do you work for Woody?

6 hours ago, RSJ said:

I agree. The results of this have been really surprising tbh. I thought that he may have actually gotten this one right - but now idk.

I think Mac actually has potential to be a good GM.  

Bowles is sorry

Fitz won't be in the NFL next season

The problem is on the field, not the office. By all accounts Woody hired the right people based on the available candidates at the time and they are not producing. The players need to play better and the coaching staff needs to coach better. Simple.

19 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Yeah they suck they only one 3 Super Bowls in my lifetime and are  light years ahead of the jets right now 

Yeah but when you have reports of a Dez Bryant missing 40 or more meetings in his career with no repercussions and players who can go around their coach straight to the owner to complain, that is a problem.  

We are just missing a QB.  QB will solve most of the problems.  

1 minute ago, BallinPB said:

Yeah but when you have reports of a Dez Bryant missing 40 or more meetings in his career with no repercussions and players who can go around their coach straight to the owner to complain, that is a problem.  

We are just missing a QB.  QB will solve most of the problems.  

We're missing more than qb which the Cowboys have 2 of

I'm sure at 3-1 the Cowboys are worried about Dez being tardy to meetings

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

While I'm sure he threw his opinion in there re a desire to bring back Revis, it doesn't mean sign him at any cost.

Nor is there any evidence he is the main influence behind bringing back Fitzpatrick. That has the fingerprints of Bowles + MM on their own more than a decree from the owner. Not saying it couldn't be, but here isn't even a credible rumor in the press that he was behind it despite the better judgments of both his HC and GM. Facts we know suggest otherwise. 

I have no love for the man, who's said plenty of foolish things, but until proven otherwise those signings are both on Maccagnan. 

You're right that we can't actually prove anything. However, does your gut really tell you that Maccagnan wanted to blow $30 million on two guys who didn't have the talent or youth to make the start of his career as a GM successful? Also, consider that until the last week before camp, the Jets and Fitz were millions apart from each other while Maccagnan was on the radio endorsing Geno. I find it very hard to believe the guy who drafted JJ Watt is hitching his young time as GM to Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

2 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

You're right that we can't actually prove anything. However, does your gut really tell you that Maccagnan wanted to blow $30 million on two guys who didn't have the talent or youth to make the start of his career as a GM successful? Also, consider that until the last week before camp, the Jets and Fitz were millions apart from each other while Maccagnan was on the radio endorsing Geno. I find it very hard to believe the guy who drafted JJ Watt is hitching his young time as GM to Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

The Fitzpatrick contract is way less troubling than the contracts handed out to the guys in the secondary. The Clady trade was also bad. The intitial Fitz trade was actually one of the good moves Maccagnan has made...

11 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Woody is not the problem. He's not stopping us from getting a franchise quarterback or prevent the deep ball or defend tight ends

Indirectly he is. We sunk all this money into Revis for sure because of Woody's insistence leaving us without money for other players, and now we have  the worst secondary in the league 

3 minutes ago, Xtina said:

Indirectly he is. We sunk all this money into Revis for sure because if Woody's insistence leaving us without money for other players, and now we gave the worst secondary in the league 

Revis has played Woody like a fiddle his entire career. Revis gets his retirement contract then proceeds to fire his agents lol.

20 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The Fitzpatrick contract is way less troubling than the contracts handed out to the guys in the secondary. The Clady trade was also bad. The intitial Fitz trade was actually one of the good moves Maccagnan has made...

The initial Fitz trade I can live with

As far as the Clady trade, you can't nail them all but I applaud the effort. 

Do you really think that Maccagnan is as infatuated with Revis to give him a massive contract?  

2 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

The initial Fitz trade I can live with

As far as the Clady trade, you can't nail them all but I applaud the effort. 

Do you really think that Maccagnan is as infatuated with Revis to give him a massive contract?  

No I think the Revis move was mostly Woody. The Fitz contract is whatever, it more goes to show what they think of the other guys than they do Fitz. Geno should have been released if he wasnt going to play though. The 4 QB's thing is legit retarded.

As far as Clady goes this team needs draft picks...dont go burning a pick for a big contract at a position that isnt a premium anymore.

16 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

yes, the real problem is the owner who has given this franchise more success under his leadership than the 40 years before him.

I agree, especially the signing of Darrell Revis. Great contract.  Also, he certainly has furthered the mediocrity the Jets have been experiencing for the past 40 years.

14 minutes ago, Maine Coon Cat said:

I agree, especially the signing of Darrell Revis. Great contract.  Also, he certainly has furthered the mediocrity the Jets have been experiencing for the past 40 years.

best player in Jets history.  

1960-1999(40 seasons) the franchise made 8 PO apps and won 6 PO games

2000-2015(16 seasons under Woody) the franchise made 6 PO apps and won 6 PO games

but yeah Woody sunk the franchise.

It pains me to defend Woody, but he's done the right things lately. He sought the counsel of two experienced NFL execs and he seems to have stayed very far out of the way while Maccagnan and Bowles have tried to make things work. Things could change in a month when a cranky Woody, fresh off of blowing another $200 mil trying to get yet another unelectable trash can elected, shows up at Florham Park, but he's done the right things with this regime.

41 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

yes, the real problem is the owner who has given this franchise more success under his leadership than the 40 years before him.

"Given us" success?

The jets had a good roster thanks to Parcells when Woody bought the team.  We got insanely lucky with Rex for two seasons other than that it's been a dumpster fire which is getting worse as I type this

This franchise is a joke and it starts with our idiot owner

10 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

best player in Jets history.  

1960-1999(40 seasons) the franchise made 8 PO apps and won 6 PO games

2000-2015(16 seasons under Woody) the franchise made 6 PO apps and won 6 PO games

but yeah Woody sunk the franchise.

Handpicked Idzik, let Tannenbaum run wild giving mediocre players insane contracts, traded for Tebow which stopped us from drafting Russel Wilson, 

And if you want current garbage how about those two behemoth contracts for Revis and Wilk?   Letting our FO waste 6 months negotiating with Jay Fiedler Jr?

Wilk deserves a $100 million contract like I deserve a massage from Jennifer Lawrence

14 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

"Given us" success?

The jets had a good roster thanks to Parcells when Woody bought the team.  We got insanely lucky with Rex for two seasons other than that it's been a dumpster fire which is getting worse as I type this

This franchise is a joke and it starts with our idiot owner

BP put us in cap hell and did a terrible job w/ the draft.  we got very lucky w/ the expansion draft where Houston saved us from cap hell.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

BP put us in cap hell and did a terrible job w/ the draft.  we got very lucky w/ the expansion draft where Houston saved us from cap hell.

Parcells built the core of that team in early 2000's with the 2000 draft

Woody is a clueless executive and owner.  He inherited every penny he has.  The guy wore a jets baseball cap to Wellington Mara's funeral he's borderline autistic and making football decisions for this team

17 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Parcells built the core of that team in early 2000's with the 2000 draft

Woody is a clueless executive and owner.  He inherited every penny he has.  The guy wore a jets baseball cap to Wellington Mara's funeral he's borderline autistic and making football decisions for this team

Parcells won in 1998 w/ a core built by Steinberg/Carroll/Kotite.

the 200 drafty(which wasn't near;ly as great as it should have been w/ 4 1st rounders) was run by Groh.  BP's drafts were insanely bad from 1997-1999.

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Parcells won in 1998 w/ a core built by Steinberg/Carroll/Kotite.

the 200 drafty(which wasn't near;ly as great as it should have been w/ 4 1st rounders) was run by Groh.  BP's drafts were insanely bad from 1997-1999.

hahahshshshahsha

1 hour ago, Lizard King said:

Actually, yes my gut does tell me this.

Money seems to burn a hole in Maccagnan's pocket, for all the undue accolades he's received. He didn't just spend only on those two: he spent on everyone. In no time at all we went from what, $50M under the cap (?) to millions over the cap (before even adding anyone new next year).

Maccagnan was on the radio endorsing Geno because he sophomorically thought that would help his negotiating position with Fitz. It didn't work - at least in part because his dumbass HC announced he's the starter back in January - and MM caved in to Fitz's demands.

What gets forgotten about is that it was Maccagnan that made him a $12M offer for the season back in March. The dispute was mostly over the extra 2 seasons at $6M (which would have escalated to $12M/season). 

Maccagnan didn't draft JJ Watt. Their GM drafted JJ Watt. Or anyway, there's no evidence that the reason they drafted Watt was because of Maccagnan. You could credit Maccagnan more for that if Watt wasn't expected to go right around there anyway and they really reached for him way ahead of where he was expected to go.

Revis was a quick-fix for a secondary that only had of-injured prospects (Milliner, McDougle), a high draft pick safety who wasn't too good as a rookie, and an unspectacular Marcus Williams. It was obvious that he would get lots of credit in the press for bringing back Revis at any price after he won a ring with the Patriots. He then also overspent heavily on Cromartie, Skrine, and Gilchrist. He paid top dollar for all of them, considering their worth at the time of their signings.

2 hours ago, Jetscode1 said:

Did one of us forget to wear their lucky green socks?  Logically flawed argument to blame the consumer for a poorly designed product.  Do you work for Woody?

Consumers vote with their wallets and the product is not "poorly designed".  All NFL franchises hit rock bottom before they reach for the stars, the Steelers, Patriots, Seahawks, Broncos, all the Super Bowl Champions have their down periods, it's part of the overall 'design' of the roster.

The Jets keep treading water.  Instead of rebuilding the right way with an actual plan, we just change head coaches, change the culture, and boom, win 10 games.  Edwards after Groh, Mangini after Edwards, Ryan after Mangini, Bowles after Ryan.  These so-called winning seasons after a head coaching change are the worst thing that happens to us.  Because instead of committing to a real rebuild we get go-fever and add a few players and try to go for it all with a flawed, aging roster.

I applaud Woody and Maccagnan for trying it the right way right now.  It's the hard way.  No one likes going 7-9 after 10-6.  But believe it or not it's actually progress, we are not going after flashy free agents, we are trying to develop youth and do it patiently. 

Woody Johnson isn't a bad owner; you impatient people are bad fans.

SAR I

14 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Actually, yes my gut does tell me this.

Money seems to burn a hole in Maccagnan's pocket, for all the undue accolades he's received. He didn't just spend only on those two: he spent on everyone. In no time at all we went from what, $50M under the cap (?) to millions over the cap (before even adding anyone new next year).

Maccagnan was on the radio endorsing Geno because he sophomorically thought that would help his negotiating position with Fitz. It didn't work - at least in part because his dumbass HC announced he's the starter back in January - and MM caved in to Fitz's demands.

What gets forgotten about is that it was Maccagnan that made him a $12M offer for the season back in March. The dispute was mostly over the extra 2 seasons at $6M (which would have escalated to $12M/season). 

Maccagnan didn't draft JJ Watt. Their GM drafted JJ Watt. Or anyway, there's no evidence that the reason they drafted Watt was because of Maccagnan. You could credit Maccagnan more for that if Watt wasn't expected to go right around there anyway and they really reached for him way ahead of where he was expected to go.

Revis was a quick-fix for a secondary that only had of-injured prospects (Milliner, McDougle), a high draft pick safety who wasn't too good as a rookie, and an unspectacular Marcus Williams. It was obvious that he would get lots of credit in the press for bringing back Revis at any price after he won a ring with the Patriots. He then also overspent heavily on Cromartie, Skrine, and Gilchrist. He paid top dollar for all of them, considering their worth at the time of their signings.

All on short term deals. Why don't people get this?

Archived