The Hypocrisy of the New York Media and Fanbase

UnitedWhofans

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Francesa said that at the first sign of trouble the Jets give up and go onto something else. That there will be rumors of The Jets looking at other coaches.

Francesa got on Bowles but you don't know yet after a 10 win season and being favored to win only 1 game this year. Mentions Parcells struggling in his first year with the Giants and almost getting fired

Goes back to no conviction and Woody not being able to bringing a guy to help run things. This is as close as he's come to doing that by bringing in Casserly and Wolf.

4 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Over the offseason, the media went nuts with Ryan Fitzpatrick and Muhammad Wilkerson. They wanted Wilkerson extended and Fitzpatrick brought back.

Manish Mehta wrote articles about how they should resign Fitzpatrick. Two grown men on SNY grew fricking beards to resign Fitzpatrick.

Joe Beningo was harping about resigning Wilkerson all the damn time. Fans were calling the stations agreeing.

So Maccagnan does both of these things, they are now 1-5, and the media and fanbase are beginning to sharpen their knives of hypocrisy.

This has always been the problem with the Jets. The media and fanbase get on them way too much and way too quickly. The Giants don't get torched at the same level of the Jets. There is an expectation. The Giants are the class organization and the Jets are the freak show. That will always be the narrative.

In New York, the media capital of the world, where the sports talk format was invented, the noise is so cacophonous that the organization will hear it.

Same with the fanbase, going on the Jets Facebook page and ripping them.

Now, usually, GMs and owner who listen to people in the seats end up becoming them, but in this town, it's almost impossible not to hear.

Which is why I have always believed that for the franchise to ever be successful again, they will need to move to a place where they are the top dog in town and the media pressure is less echoed. A place like St. Louis would be great for them. There is no rival to live up to.

Till then, It is going to be the same ole' Jets

This is really bad. Let's move the Jets so nobody watches them and they can win.

Blaming the fans and the media is really comical.

The sold out stadium year after year and crowd noise, that is the real problem.

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Francesa said that at the first sign of trouble the Jets give up and go onto something else. That there will be rumors of The Jets looking at other coaches.

Francesa got on Bowles but you don't know yet after a 10 win season and being favored to win only 1 game this year. Mentions Parcells struggling in his first year with the Giants and almost getting fired

Goes back to no conviction and Woody not being able to bringing a guy to help run things. This is as close as he's come to doing that by bringing in Casserly and Wolf.

So in that case Woody is the problem. Not the fans. Not the media. Not the location.

57 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

It's either or. One of these factors has to change. And since you can't fire the owner......

This also makes no sense. You are going to get your owner to take his one billion dollar franchise to St Louis where it will be worth 600 million?

None of this is based in reality.

Fans need to send a message and not by billboard or banner planes simply dont show up. I know season tickets are expensive but to prove a point stay home 1 game organize it through social media. Let Woody and the viewers on TV see an empty stadium everyone involved in the organization deserves this players,coaches,management,owner. 

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Fans need to send a message and not by billboard or banner planes simply dont show up. I know season tickets are expensive but to prove a point stay home 1 game organize it through social media. Let Woody and the viewers on TV see an empty stadium everyone involved in the organization deserves this players,coaches,management,owner. 

Only game to do this that would really achieve the purpose would be the Mon. night game vs the Colts. Let the nation see an empty stadium. 

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

First off I'm a Jets fan. I've been going to games for over 30 years , I go when we suck, I go the few seasons we've been good . Its what I enjoy to do. I'll be there Sunday and the rest of the year regardless of the game results/

Staying home accomplishes nothing. The NFL derives most of its money from its TV contracts , the tickets, merchandise etc from gameday is a drop in the bucket in comparison. In addition you would need fans to eat the ticket and not sell on the secondary market like so many  do today. So in essence your asking people to take a monetary loss for a losing proposition.

6 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

They made the right moves. Ftiz just won 10 games and played excellent. They didn't overpay or overcommit with a 1 year deal.

Mo is a great player and if you are trying to win you don't let good players leave.

Can you imagine if they'd let Fitz leave, and we turn out the defensive effort we've seen to date, where the QB could make a nice cup of tea in the pocket while waiting for a guy to get open? You'd hear the howls then about "letting go of our home grown talent" and "losing a franchise player over a bit of cap space".

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. :-) 

51 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

First off I'm a Jets fan. I've been going to games for over 30 years , I go when we suck, I go the few seasons we've been good . Its what I enjoy to do. I'll be there Sunday and the rest of the year regardless of the game results/

Staying home accomplishes nothing. The NFL derives most of its money from its TV contracts , the tickets, merchandise etc from gameday is a drop in the bucket in comparison. In addition you would need fans to eat the ticket and not sell on the secondary market like so many  do today. So in essence your asking people to take a monetary loss for a losing proposition.

The losing is being done on the field and in a pitiful way enjoy the game. 

8 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Over the offseason, the media went nuts with Ryan Fitzpatrick and Muhammad Wilkerson. They wanted Wilkerson extended and Fitzpatrick brought back.

Manish Mehta wrote articles about how they should resign Fitzpatrick. Two grown men on SNY grew fricking beards to resign Fitzpatrick.

Joe Beningo was harping about resigning Wilkerson all the damn time. Fans were calling the stations agreeing.

So Maccagnan does both of these things, they are now 1-5, and the media and fanbase are beginning to sharpen their knives of hypocrisy.

This has always been the problem with the Jets. The media and fanbase get on them way too much and way too quickly. The Giants don't get torched at the same level of the Jets. There is an expectation. The Giants are the class organization and the Jets are the freak show. That will always be the narrative.

In New York, the media capital of the world, where the sports talk format was invented, the noise is so cacophonous that the organization will hear it.

Same with the fanbase, going on the Jets Facebook page and ripping them.

Now, usually, GMs and owner who listen to people in the seats end up becoming them, but in this town, it's almost impossible not to hear.

Which is why I have always believed that for the franchise to ever be successful again, they will need to move to a place where they are the top dog in town and the media pressure is less echoed. A place like St. Louis would be great for them. There is no rival to live up to.

Till then, It is going to be the same ole' Jets.

Outside of the moving part (and you may be right), I agree. 

Although I am sick and tired of your threads and constant Bowles support, I agree with you on this one. I for one didn't want Fitz and I didn't want Wilkerson extended but I am in the minority unfortunately. 

I was with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

there are already a lot of empty seats.  this would accomplish nothing but a dent in concessions. 

On 10/18/2016 at 11:04 AM, UntouchableCrew said:

There's no question it's a difficult place to succeed.

We need an owner who is willing to make smart decisions and see them through, regardless of what the fans and media think. The owner is typically the number one constant in organizations, both good and bad.

Woody is at it again. Francesa nailed it

20 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Need more empty seats added to the Ravens fans it will get the medias attention. 

No, it won't.  This team has had thousands of empty seats for well over a decade. The media couldn't give a rat's ass about how many empty seats  there are. 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Disagree if 10,000 Jets fans decided to stay home on Sunday it would be noticed. 

There have been more than 10,000 missing many times before, including the Seattle game and no one in the media has given a shiit. The ticket revenue is already in the bank. No one cares if the ticket holder shows up once the Jets have his money.  Just stop with this already.

Archived