SALARY CAP dept. : which Jets could be gone after this season to create cap space ? ? ?

kelly

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Many of us made these observations. You don't build a team with super-expensive veterans on their last legs. For example, Skrine was at least a better risk to take than Revis or Cromartie. No he wasn't so great before and certainly hasn't been great here, but if he'd panned out he'd be a longer-term solution than 1-2 years with a slim possibility of 3 (at far greater dollars). Thosae types of acquisitions are for teams with just a couple of missing pieces to push them over the top -- like New England. Or like Dallas and San Fran taking turns to short-term rent Deion Sanders.

Trying to build a team by pissing away some $100m on bringing in (or bringing back) Revis, Harris, Cromartie, Ferguson, Fitzpatrick, both Forte and Powell, Clady, Breno...  Not to mention his unreasonable lines in the sand with trade demands nobody was ever going to meet so he retained players he didn't even want anymore, with no place to put them all on the field. Then further, using high picks on players that, if playing to their upside, would absolutely not be any hard-to-find/missing-piece type that would put us over the top. Even the best of the bunch that landed in his lap - Williams, who's outstanding - was a redundant acquisition that didn't necessarily make the team any better. Fine if he's then going to immediately parlay one of the two he already had for another such high pick, but he didn't; kept all 3 like a stupid fool, and watched as his team struggled to find an appropriate place for all 3 together on anything other than likely running downs.

It has been a horrible wasted opportunity to set up the team for the long term. This is why I'm so hard on Maccagnan. It takes no brains at all to just be the highest bidder & quickly use up all the painfully-earned cap space his predecessor left him, plus unnecessarily using up another 8 figures in future cap flexibility on top of that, to foolishly chase after a SB ring without a starting QB. 

5 wins is sucky and I'm shocked anyone would try to argue otherwise (like you are doing here). You conveniently forget Buffalo essentially tanked the last game by benching Taylor, and that it took OT to beat the even-worse 49ers. It's also common for opponents to play down to their opponents like the '16 Jets (which is how upsets happen). Even still, just because a team is sucky isn't to say every player is therefore untalented & sucky every week. Pretty much every year even the worst teams win roughly this many games. The team earning the #1 pick in the upcoming draft often finishes with 4 wins, and we weren't noticeably any better than that. 

whatever.  i think you are being far too hard on mac and are ignoring items that are beyond the coaching staff and gm's ability to control. obviously we'll see how this all pans out.

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

whatever.  i think you are being far too hard on mac and are ignoring items that are beyond the coaching staff and gm's ability to control. obviously we'll see how this all pans out.

I don't hate everything he does or has done, but too few of his transactions have been good ones. Frankly he's in over his head, like any other overpromoted people, and too many here confuse his calm demeanor for competence. I have serious doubts that he is looked upon highly around the league, and if/when he's fired by the Jets he'll never get another GM job again.

I will say so far in 2017, I'm happy he (allegedly) won't be pursuing Jay Cutler, and that he's letting Clady go. I don't know if he's learning or if it's just that he's left himself so little margin for spending, in a manner that would make Mike Tannenbaum blush.

I am mixed on the Winters re-signing. I think it's fine to bring him back, but the ridiculous amount shows his lack of foresight/planning. Since Winters is just ok on the field (with a short history of being at even that level), this was more a move borne out of desperation than shrewdness; a result of the corner he needlessly painted himself into (much like the excuse everyone gave him for trading for Clady last year, after painting himself into a corner). 

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't hate everything he does or has done, but too few of his transactions have been good ones. Frankly he's in over his head, like any other overpromoted people, and too many here confuse his calm demeanor for competence. I have serious doubts that he is looked upon highly around the league, and if/when he's fired by the Jets he'll never get another GM job again.

I will say so far in 2017, I'm happy he (allegedly) won't be pursuing Jay Cutler, and that he's letting Clady go. I don't know if he's learning or if it's just that he's left himself so little margin for spending, in a manner that would make Mike Tannenbaum blush.

I am mixed on the Winters re-signing. I think it's fine to bring him back, but the ridiculous amount shows his lack of foresight/planning. Since Winters is just ok on the field (with a short history of being at even that level), this was more a move borne out of desperation than shrewdness; a result of the corner he needlessly painted himself into (much like the excuse everyone gave him for trading for Clady last year, after painting himself into a corner). 

I think some of that was maybe a bit of fear on losing Winters but I think another part of it is the reality of where the offensive line salaries have gone (minus the RT) over the last few years because of the lack of college talent. When I look at the list of guard salaries which just a few years ago was  $3-4 million for guys like Winters its so hard to believe that these guys are now $7-8M.  My guess is if the Jets had a better line they probably wouldnt bring him back at the money but giving how bad it is dumping him turns them into the Seahawks where it looks like they arent even trying to build a line.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, jason423 said:

I think some of that was maybe a bit of fear on losing Winters but I think another part of it is the reality of where the offensive line salaries have gone (minus the RT) over the last few years because of the lack of college talent. When I look at the list of guard salaries which just a few years ago was  $3-4 million for guys like Winters its so hard to believe that these guys are now $7-8M.  My guess is if the Jets had a better line they probably wouldnt bring him back at the money but giving how bad it is dumping him turns them into the Seahawks where it looks like they arent even trying to build a line.

Agreed. My issue with it is, if he actually wanted Winters back, waiting & paying top dollar to him after the season ended. The far more common route for retaining someone at the position (if not all positions) is to address it while he still has a good number of games left to play. If one waits for the season to end, it removes a player's #1 concern: sustaining a serious injury before cashing out. (Someone like Revis was able to bet on himself because, by the time he'd be in true zero-guarantee territory, he'd already collected over $50m.) Waiting so long before making an attractive enough offer to Winters meant the Jets would have to now overbid enough that Winters would be willing to forgo any potential bidding war(s) over him in March. Of course had this been addressed a year earlier, when he was already starting but had thus far pocketed so little, it surely would have been millions less.

It sounds like Maccagnan again tried to severely lowball his player so much beforehand, that Winters felt he wasn't risking much by playing out the last season on his rookie deal. Maccagnan didn't suddenly decide, in January, that he wanted to re-sign Winters after he injured his shoulder.

I will not be easily convinced that, in 2016's preseason, Winters - while still under contract for another full season - wouldn't take as much or less than what Carpenter received as a full UFA just 1 year prior. Carpenter had more (and better) starting experience, plus there is the reality that even on 2nd contracts a non-bust player often gets brownie points for being a former 1st round pick. He got under $5m/yr, with only $7.5m guaranteed, and even that took waiting for the Jets to come up empty handed on their first 2 choices for them to come calling. Anybody seriously believe Winters would have balked at something in that neighborhood, when he wasn't even assured of a starting job in 2016? Remember, Maccagnan was then looking to make a play for Osemele in March, so it would have been a real risk for Winters in Jan-Feb.

Obviously this one player getting another $2-3m/year isn't going to be the straw that breaks the camel's back. I'm fine with them wanting him back, even though he's just ok, and I would have also been fine with them not wanting to bring him back. What I'm not so fine with is again unnecessarily waiting, because it's a pattern with this guy to never lock up anybody early, only to wait until he's painted himself into a corner and then pay such top dollar. I do also believe that a good number of people claiming this signing was smart would have equally claimed he was smart for letting him go, if they'd seen Winters sign this same contract with another team in March lol.

1 hour ago, jason423 said:

I think giving Winters big money was a p-ssy move by Mac

Just wait it out and throw the big money at Abdrew Whitworth and give Dozier or Qvale a shot at RG.

Darrelle Revis was one of the greatest draft picks in New York Jets history -- and the worst free-agent signing. It's not often a player falls into both categories, but Revis wasn't just any player.He was a transcendent star who copyrighted his own address -- "Revis Island." He was the Jets' best homegrown player since Joe Namath. He had a chance to be the franchise's defensive version of Namath, but Revis 2.0 was an unmitigated disaster.Desperate for box-office appeal in 2015, Jets owner Woody Johnson basically offered Revis a blank check to return -- an outrageous $39 million guarantee for a 29-year-old cornerback.

Postscript No. 1: Johnson should stay out of football decisions.

For $39 million, the Jets got one Pro Bowl season in 2015 (he made it on name only) and an embarrassing performance in 2016. Revis was so bad last season -- so un-Revis-like -- that cutting him was a no-brainer.The Jets have committed many free-agent sins in their star-crossed history (Neil O'Donnell, for starters), but Revis was the costliest blunder.This was a football decision, sources said. His recent arrest in Pittsburgh, still in the early stages of the legal process, wasn't a factor.

Yes, the Jets' security people did their own investigation, but it was obligatory due diligence. He didn't get cut because of four felony charges.

The once-great Revis got cut because of a bloated $15.3 million cap charge. Because he's 31 years old, going on 35. Because he couldn't shut down pedestrian receivers (Marquise Goodwin, anyone?), let alone elite wideouts. The idea of moving him to safety was pure folly. He didn't like to tackle at cornerback, so why would he be better at safety?So no, he didn't get cut because of a TMZ video that was taken at 2:30 a.m. on a Pittsburgh street corner. He got cut because of the video from the 2016 season, which showed a Revis impostor struggling to keep up with the type of players he used to dominate.And because the Jets are in a full-blown rebuilding mode.

Think of it this way : The Jets are paying Revis a total of $6 million (his 2017 guarantee) not to be on the team.

People who know Revis question whether he has lost his once legendary competitiveness. They say he didn't train with the usual ferocity last offseason; he admittedly reported to training camp out of shape. They wonder if he is distracted by off-the-field issues. Now, of course, he has serious criminal charges hanging over his head, which could hurt his value on the open market.Johnson called Revis "one of the greatest players to ever wear a Jets uniform." That can't be disputed. But he ruined his chance for a happily-ever-after ending with the team that drafted him in 2007.

Postscript No. 2 : Money can't buy a legacy.

Revis Inc. is all about the money, and he forced a trade in 2013 when the Jets refused his contract demands. He should've stayed in New England's championship environment, but once again, he was lured by money. He took Johnson's $39 million, calling it a storybook homecoming.

Let's be real : It was a money grab. Now, for the second time in four years, the Jets sent him packing. This time, the divorce wasn't bitter. Both sides just fell out of love.

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/67171/cutting-darrelle-revis-a-39-million-mistake-a-no-brainer-for-jets

The Jets had no other choice. With where Darrelle Revis is at this point in his career, they couldn't keep him on the roster with a $15.33 million cap hit. There was no doubt they were going to cut him. It was just a matter of when. 

Turns out, it was Tuesday night. The Jets released the future Hall of Fame cornerback, and arguably the best player in franchise history. 

So ... what does it mean for the salary cap picture ?

By cutting Revis the Jets freed $9.3 million in salary cap space, but he will still count $6 million in dead money on the overall cap picture. Incorporating Revis' release, the Jets are now an estimated $27.784 million  under the projected team salary cap of $168 million, per Overthecap.com.  The figure is the 20th-most in the NFL. 

Please note: The team salary cap is not yet official. Exactly where the Jets stand isn't affirmatively known.

Here's a key point in the Revis contract, though: The Jets can actually get more money back. If Revis were to sign with a new team, his new salary would alleviate a portion of the dead money.Say Revis gets a one-year, $4 million deal with the Eagles. Philadelphia would be on the books for the $4 million, and the Jets $2 million, giving the Jets an additional $4 million in salary cap space.  The Jets will not get any additional money for Revis' role in a street fight incident in Pittsburgh in early February. A league source told NJ Advance Media the team will not pursue any financial reimbursement. 

Revis, who will turn 32 in July, was undoubtedly the NFL's best cornerback for nearly a decade. In his first nine seasons, he earned seven Pro Bowl honors. But, as is the case with every athlete, Father Time eventually caught up.In 2016, Revis was a shell of his former self. He struggled mightily in coverage, intercepted just one pass, defended five, appeared to shy away from contact, and finished with the lowest PFF grade of his career (72.1).

The Jets drafted Revis in the first round in 2007. He spent the first six years of his career in Florham Park before ex-general manager John Idzik traded him to the Bucs. Revis played one year for Tampa Bay, signed with the Patriots in 2014, won a Super Bowl, then came back to the Jets in 2015, on a contract that paid him $39 million guaranteed, including $6 million in 2017. 

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/02/how_much_salary_cap_space_do_jets_have_after_cutti.html#incart_river_index

We told you a few weeks back this would be a seismic offseason for the New York Jets in terms of big names and big salaries getting swept away in a youth movement, and that's exactly what has unfolded.The Jets released two future Ring-of-Honor members, Darrelle Revis and Nick Mangold, in a span of five days. There could be more cuts in the coming days, but this is a good time to take stock of where the Jets stand in relation to the salary cap.On Wednesday, the NFL announced the salary cap at $167 million. Each team has its own adjusted cap number, based on the carryover from the previous year, and the Jets' cap number is $167.371 million, according to the NFLPA.

Counting Revis' release, which doesn't become official until March 9, the Jets have $141.1 million committed to the cap (top 51 players), according to overthecap.com. That means they have $26.3 million in cap room, per OTC. That might sound like a lot, but it still puts them in the bottom third of the league. In other words, they can aggressive in free agency, but they have to be cautious.

Salary cap set at $167 million

WASHINGTON, DC - MAY 20:  Newly redesigned $100 notes lay in stacks at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing on May 20, 2013 in Washington, DC. The one hundred dollar bills will be released this fall and has new security features, such as a duplicating portrait of Benjamin Franklin and microprinting added to make the bill more difficult to counterfeit.  (Photo by Mark Wilson/Getty Images)Getty Images

The projected salary cap figure for 2017 that’s been bandied about in recent weeks of $168 million wasn’t exactly right, but it’s pretty close.

A league official told Judy Battista of NFL Media that the salary cap will actually be set at $167 million for the coming season. That’s a rise of about $12 million from last season and the cap has gone up about $47 million over the last five years.

Some of the biggest beneficiaries of the continued rise in the cap will be the players who hit the open market as free agents next week as they’ll see plenty of that money funneled toward their bank accounts. Given this year’s crop of free agents, that’s sure to lead to a few deals that leave people scratching their heads in the early days of free agency but the combination of being free to sign anywhere and the amount of money teams are required to spend makes it a good time to be out of contract.

The Browns, 49ers, Buccaneers and Jaguars are among the teams with the most cap space heading into free agency.

>     http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/01/salary-cap-set-at-167-million/

cimini_rich_m.jpg&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer 

As expected, the Jets are planning to release WR Brandon Marshall, a source confirmed. This will clear $7.5 million in cap room for the rebuilding Jets, who have dumped roughly $45 million in salary over the last few weeks. Weeks ago, the Jets told Marshall they wanted him back, a source said. Marshall mulled the situation and decided to play elsewhere. He's coming off his least productive season as a pro and he sparked locker-room tension during the season.

>      http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

The Jets aren't done cutting players, per sources. Marcus Gilchrist, Calvin Pryor, Eric Decker, Buster Skrine and Sheldon Richardson are in danger of losing their roster spots. They could try to trade Pryor and Richardson, both former first-round picks. David Harris appears safe for now, but that could change if they sign a free agent at inside linebacker.

27 minutes ago, kelly said:

The Jets aren't done cutting players, per sources. Marcus Gilchrist, Calvin Pryor, Eric Decker, Buster Skrine and Sheldon Richardson are in danger of losing their roster spots. They could try to trade Pryor and Richardson, both former first-round picks. David Harris appears safe for now, but that could change if they sign a free agent at inside linebacker.

This looks like this  guy copied this directly off this board .

NFL free agency is about to heat up. 

Beginning at noon Tuesday, agents of pending free agents could officially negotiate with teams, though that process really started (technically illegally) last week at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Free agency actually begins -- in terms of the signing period -- when the new league year starts at 4 p.m. Thursday

So what is the latest on the Jets' salary cap space situation  ? 

Well, they'll have some room to make moves. According to overthecap.com's estimate, the Jets have $33.238 million in cap space. The NFL's salary cap has been set at $167 million. 

According to NFLPA records, the Jets have $17.456 million in cap space, but that doesn't count the Ryan Clady and Darrelle Revis releases, which will become official Thursday. Those will boost the cap space number to $36.756 million.So the Jets have about $35 million in cap room. 

Entering the offseason, the Jets were actually at a cap deficit. So they needed to create some room. They did that by dumping the following veterans : 

LT Ryan Clady: $10 million cap savings ($600,000 dead money) 

RT Breno Giacomini: $4.5 million ($625,000 dead) 

K Nick Folk: $3 million ($593,334 dead) 

ILB Erin Henderson: $2.57 million (zero dead) 

C Nick Mangold: $9.075 million (zero dead) 

CB Darrelle Revis: $9.3 million ($6 million dead) 

WR Brandon Marshall: $7.5 million (zero dead) 

Totals: $45.945 million in cap space created, $7.818 million dead money 

The Jets are clearly in rebuilding mode, with an eye toward the future, rather than trying to make a playoff run in 2017. So expect them to target younger free agents, rather than aging, expensive veterans. The Jets just got rid of a bunch of aging, expensive veterans, after all.In terms of in-house free agents, the Jets have already locked up their most prominent guy -- right guard Brian Winters. The Jets got that done in mid-January. So now, for the most part, they can focus on bringing in players to help their rebuilding process. 

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/03/nfl_free_agency_2017_what_is_latest_on_jets_salary.html#incart_river_index

Contract breakdown for Jets LT Kelvin Beachum: Three years, $24M, including $12M in guarantees. He'll make $8M this year -- a $4.5M signing bonus + $2M roster bonus (March 14) + $1.5M base. In 2018, $4M of his $8M base is guaranteed. Cap charges: $5M, $9.5M and $9.5M.

• 3 weeks later...

-- The Jets made some low-profile bargain moves during NFL free agency, which is now essentially complete, as teams gear up for the NFL Draft.

So how much salary cap space do the Jets currently have ? 

According to overthecap.com's estimate, they're at $13.623 million in cap space, but that doesn't count the contracts that came with re-signing left tackle Ben Ijalana and signing wide receiver Quinton Patton, who was one of five outside free agents the Jets signed. 

Here are the cap hits for the others  

QB Josh McCown: $6 million 

LT Kelvin Beachum: $5 million 

CB Morris Claiborne: $4.718 million 

K Chandler Catanzaro: $900,000 

Remember, too, the Jets need to pay their draft picks, which will cost them $8.005 million, with their current allotment of picks. That drops them to $5.618 million in cap space. And this doesn't even include the deals for Ijalana and Patton.You need to also consider that teams like to have $2 million to $3 million (at least) in wiggle room for cap space entering the season. So a team won't push its cap space to zero. 

The Jets did need to create cap space entering free agency, and they did that with seven veteran cuts, which dumped $45.945 million in 2017 cap hits, with $7.818 million in dead money attached.If the Jets want to, they can always create more cap space by cutting wide receiver Eric Decker or free safety Marcus Gilchrist, or trading defensive end Sheldon Richardson. 

A pre-June 1 cut of Decker and Gilchrist would create $5.75 million and $4.625 million in cap space, respectively, while a post-June 1 cut would create $7.25 million and $6 million. Trading Richardson would create $8.069 million. 

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/03/what_is_jets_salary_cap_situation_with_nfl_free_ag.html#incart_river_index

• 2 weeks later...

The last two offseasons haven't been the most fun for Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan. After a frantic spending spree in 2015, he was left with virtually no money last year, and had to deal with the aftermath of signing those veterans this year. 

Of all the guys Maccagnan added two years ago, just three notable names (guard James Carpenter, cornerback Buster Skrine, safety Marcus Gilchrist) remain.Corners Darrelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie? Receiver Brandon Marshall and quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick? Linebacker Erin Henderson and guard Willie Colon?

All gone.

So with the the cleanup -- and another slow offseason -- finished, how are things looking financially ?

The Jets -- not including Thursday's signing of tight end Brian Parker -- have $9,070,621 in salary cap space, according to NFLPA Records. This figure encompasses the top 51 players on the roster. Roughly $3 million will be used to pay the Jets 2017 rookie draft class. 

While the roughly $9 million is the 25th most in the NFL, the Jets are in good shape. By not throwing ridiculous money at some of this year's free agents (cornerback Stephon Gilmore, linebackers Dont'a Hightower and Nick Perry), the Jets are sitting pretty for the future.According to OverTheCap.com, the Jets are projected to have $58.57 million (with projected team cap of $178 million) in salary cap space next year, and $145.41 million (projected $190 million team cap) million in 2019.  

The 2018 total is 10th most. The 2019 total is the most. 

Of course, things can happen to change this. The Jets could trade for a player with a less-than team-friendly contract. They could also go crazy in 2018, impacting their cap situation for 2019.But judging by how Maccagnan has approached free agency since his first offseason, both of those moves seem unlikely. The Jets are in good shape now, and figure to be in the coming years, too. 

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/04/nfl_salary_cap_space_2017_how_much_do_jets_have.html#incart_river_index

• 1 month later...

Mike Maccagnan did what he had to do this offseason.

The Jets were, again, an under-performing group that needed a makeover. So, what did he do? He rid himself of a ton of established, respected veterans in a roster purge that netted more than $45 million in additional cap space.While the moves were necessary, Maccagnan also created a lot of dead money.The Jets will carry $14.9 million in extra money on their 2017 salary cap for players that are no longer on the team, second most in the NFL, according to Over The Cap. That figure is nearly double of what New York has available ($8 million) underneath the cap.

The two main guilty parties are CB Darrelle Revis and QB Ryan Fitzpatrick, both of who are still free agents.

Revis will count $6 million on the cap while Fitzpatrick’s cap number amounts to $5 million. The two veterans are two of the 10 highest paid players on the Jets this season even though they will not suit up on Sundays.While Maccagnan’s moves make the Jets’ cap figures look ugly for this season, he has set them up well for the future. Out of the several players that were dismissed this season, only Marcus Gilchrist ($1.375 million) will count on next year’s cap.

The Jets will be equipped with the necessary funds to be very active next year in free agency.

>      http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2017/05/17/jets-have-2nd-most-dead-money-on-salary-cap-in-nfl-this-season/

Ryan Fitzpatrick is no longer unemployed.

After a long offseason of waiting, the veteran quarterback inked a one-year, $3 million contract with the Buccaneers to backup franchise QB Jameis Winston. Tampa Bay will be Fitzpatrick’s seventh team.Even though Fitzpatrick will be on the Bucs roster next season, he’s still doing damage to the Jets’ salary cap.

After signing a one-year, $12 million deal a year ago to stay in New York, the Jets pushed the final $5 million into 2017 in order to fit Fitzpatrick under the cap last season.To be clear, the Jets do not owe Fitzpatrick any money. His contract was voided and he’s already been paid his $12 million. However, he will still count as $5 million of dead salary on this year’s salary cap.

Fitzpatrick bombed in 2016, winning three of his 11 starts and throwing just 12 touchdowns. He was benched twice before finishing the season with a victory against Buffalo due to Bryce Petty’s shoulder injury.If Fitzpatrick winds up playing for the Bucs, and based on his history he’ll find a way, he’ll become just the sixth player to ever throw a pass for seven different teams.

The Jets visit the Bucs on Nov. 12, so Fitzpatrick could end up hurting New York on the field, too.

>     http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2017/05/20/ryan-fitzpatrick-still-counts-5m-against-jets-cap-after-signing-with-bucs/

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

Trading Calvin Pryor is a good financial move for the Jets. Instead of eating his $1.6 million salary, which is fully guaranteed, they found a team (the Browns) willing to pick it up. Demario Davis is due to make $3.7 million in the final year of his contract, but it's not guaranteed. They could cut him before the season and not have any cap hit. The Jets were planning to cut Pryor, so they're thrilled that someone was willing to take his contract.

-- There's no doubt about it: New York Jets owner Woody Johnson has bought into the rebuilding plan -- or bought out, if you will.

From the first cut in late February to Tuesday's twin shocker (David Harris and Eric Decker), the Jets have dumped $67.9 million in actual payroll for the 2017 season. They've gone from one of the highest payrolls in the NFL to one of the lowest, thanks to an offseason purge that has claimed 11 veteran players. That includes three future members of their Ring of Honor -- Harris, center Nick Mangold and Darrelle Revis.

There's been more bloodshed than an episode of "Game of Thrones," which happens to be one of Mike Maccagnan's favorite TV shows. Maybe George R.R. Martin has rubbed off on the Jets' general manager, who hosted the "Thrones" creator for a day at training camp in each of the past two summers. Martin happens to be a Jets fan, but you wonder how he feels about his favorite team now that winter most certainly is coming.

Early Tuesday evening, after the firing was done, a somber Maccagnan addressed the beat reporters in a second-floor boardroom at One Jets Drive. Initially, there was no plan to make him available to the media, but the Jets recognized it would've been a bad look if their top football man had stayed in hiding on such an eventful day."I think our focus has been from day one to build this thing through the draft," Maccagnan said of the massive rebuild. "We’ve obviously talked about building a young team going forward and position ourselves for success. It’s going to be a competitive roster. There’s going to be a lot of opportunities for a lot of players on this roster and that will play itself out over time. But again, we’re doing things we feel are going to help this organization both short and long term."

Maccagnan was asked several pointed questions.

Is the team tanking for a better draft pick in 2018?

"That’s not something we’re focused on," he said. "We’re focused on making decisions about this team going forward."

Is this the worst roster in the NFL?

"I’m not going to speculate on our roster compared to anybody else's roster," he said.

Were the Harris and Decker moves financially motivated ?

"No, I think there’s a lot of things that go into these decisions," he said. "I think we’ve been focused on trying to create opportunities for a lot of players on this roster. We have some very competitive positions, and we’ll see how it unfolds going forward."

In the meantime, there will be suffering, plenty of suffering. The Jets have a bad roster and they might have a hard time winning more than three or four games."I think we’ll measure [success] in terms of different things," Maccagnan said. "Obviously, wins and losses. We’ll measure it on how players develop. There’s a lot of aspects that go into that, and we’ll evaluate it going forward."

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69188/current-tab-on-jets-rebuild-11-pink-slips-a-68-million-salary-dump

Report: Jets have spoken to Ravens about Eric Decker trade

Posted by Josh Alper on June 8, 2017, 5:35 PM EDT
607527642-e1479222659798.jpg?w=223

The Ravens’ Thursday visit with Jeremy Maclin didn’t result in a deal, but he’s not the only veteran receiver who could fill out the team’s depth chart.The Jets are trying to trade Eric Decker and Albert Breer of TheMMQB.com reports that the Ravens are one of the teams they have spoken to about a potential deal.

Decker would make sense for a Ravens team looking to add an experienced hand after losing Steve Smith to retirement and tight end Dennis Pitta to another hip injury. Decker was slowed by injuries last season, but scored 17 touchdowns in his first two seasons with the Jets and caught at least 74 passes in every season from 2012-2015.

If the Jets aren’t able to trade Decker, they are expected to release him so the Ravens may not have to give up any compensation to bring him to Baltimore. They’d run the risk of Decker signing with another club under that scenario, though, and a late-round pick might be worth it to give Joe Flacco another option for his passes.

>     http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/06/08/report-jets-have-spoken-to-ravens-about-eric-decker-trade/

-- Demario Davis apparently was so eager to get out of Cleveland and back to the New York Jets that he took a significant pay cut to facilitate the June 1 trade that returned him to his original team.

Davis, due to make a non-guaranteed $3.7 million in the final year of his contract, will now make $1 million in 2017, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Field Yates. That includes a $100,000 signing bonus and a $900,000 base salary. He also can earn $1.225 million in incentives. He re-worked his deal at the time of the trade, per Yates.

The Jets re-acquired Davis in a rare player-for-player trade, as they sent disappointing safety Calvin Pryor to the Cleveland Browns. At the time, Davis' salary appeared prohibitive because he was projected as a backup. But things changed a few days later when the Jets released longtime middle linebacker David Harris.

Davis is the leading candidate to replace Harris in the lineup. The team insisted that Davis' return had no bearing on the decision to cut Harris, but it certainly worked out nicely from a financial standpoint, didn't it? Owner Woody Johnson cleared Harris' salary ($6.5 million) from the books, and now has a middle linebacker making only $1 million.

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69347/source-jets-lb-demario-davis-takes-2-7-million-pay-cut

Depressed by the prospects of the 2017 season? This should cheer you up, as our Twitter question of the week focuses on the New York Jets' salary-cap situation for next year.

How much cap space have we created for the 2018 offseason? Is there any big names headed into 2018 FA class ? @RichCimini #JetsMail

@RichCimini: The Jets expect to be at least $80 million under the projected cap, which would put them at or near the top of the league. How did we arrive at that number? It's simple. According to overthecap.com, they already have $66.3 million in room for 2018 (second to the Detroit Lions), plus they'll gain more space from this year's anticipated carryover. They're currently $24.4 million under the spending limit.

Let me put that in layman's terms : They'll have a boatload of money to spend, and the boat is the size of an aircraft carrier.

You might think they put themselves in that position because of all the players they released this offseason, but that's only a small part of the story. Most of the players they dumped were entering the final year of their contract, meaning they would've been off the books next year -- players such as David Harris, Brandon Marshall and Nick Mangold, to name a few. They gained an additional $24.4 million by cutting players who were signed for 2018 -- Eric Decker, Darrelle Revis and Marcus Gilchrist. In other words, they could've kept those three and still would've been in terrific shape. (Quite obviously, Revis and Gilchrist were expendable.)

OK, enough of the past. Let's look ahead.

Their most notable free agents will be Sheldon Richardson, Morris Claiborne, Marcus Williams, Demario Davis, Wesley Johnson, Austin Seferian-Jenkins and Josh McCown. I don't think any of them are must-sign guys, although that could change based on the season. Obviously, they'll have enough money to retain whomever they want, plus be active in the free-agent market.The Jets say they want to build through the draft, but that doesn't mean they can sit on their hands for another offseason.

Remember, the league has a spending minimum. I'm not sure where they stand in relation to that floor, which is based on a three-year period, but I think it's safe to say owner Woody Johnson will have to dust off his checkbook. He could use some money to sign a current player to an extension, except no current player is worthy. Quincy Enunwa ($615,000) is underpaid, but he's still two years away from unrestricted free agency.Leaguewide, the big-name free agents will be a Kirk Cousins and Jimmy Garoppolo, if they don't re-up with the Washington Redskins and New England Patriots, respectively. In theory, the Jets could make a mammoth offer for Cousins, still only 30, but everything I'm hearing suggests they will look to the 2018 draft for a potential franchise quarterback -- if Christian Hackenberg doesn't work out.

Here's the bottom line, Johnny : The Jets will have a crazy amount of flexibility next year to fix a roster that needs a lot of fixing.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69415/encouraging-news-for-jets-an-80-million-war-chest-in-cap-space-for-2018

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rich Cimini   ESPN Staff Writer 

QB Sam Darnold, selected third overall by the Jets, is one of only 17 draft picks that hasn't signed. There's no reason to panic, as only one top-10 pick has finalized his rookie deal -- Broncos DE Bradley Chubb (No. 5 overall).

>   http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets