Christian Hackenberg's Day Off

SAR I

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, sourceworx said:

What's so wrong with what he's saying?  Today's fans and media would have torn apart Namath for some of the things he did back then. SAR is 100% right.  

A lot of fans don't want to hear it, but Namath was basically Johnny Manziel with size and passing talent.  Will always love the guy for what he means to this franchise, but after studying his career/life meticulously, it was clear the guy had some problems.

3 hours ago, Mogglez said:

A lot of fans don't want to hear it, but Namath was basically Johnny Manziel with size and passing talent.  Will always love the guy for what he means to this franchise, but after studying his career/life meticulously, it was clear the guy had some problems.

Johnny Manziel is a girlfriend beating drug addict.

Say what you want about Joe Namath but he's not that.

Sure the guy made mistakes like you and I and the rest of humanity.

But he has more class in his pinkie finger than Johnny Manziel.

And you know he's had more *ss than all of us on JN put together.

You may read about it but he never talked about it.

Call me crazy but you have to respect that.

Wilt Chamberlain put a number on it but I'll bet you Namath makes him look like a choir boy.

13 hours ago, Mogglez said:

We might have won 3 Super Bowls and the '72 Dolphins may not have gone undefeated if Namath focused more on football instead of partying.

SAR I

15 hours ago, Mogglez said:

This is great read for anyone.  Kriegel did a phenomenal job.

I was 3 years old when he won it all, so this was a great way for me to get to know Joe. What I really found interesting was sonny werblins influence on Joe and his background in entertainment, he didn't want Johhny U, he wanted a Beatle.  If I remember correctly Sonny told Joe to keep going deep, who cares about interceptions, he needed his star making waves and stealing backpages and it wasn't until Philbin and others came to him that he started playing to win.  Imagine if Joe was playing to win the whole time. 

The part about Bear Bryant treating him like a special recruit as a freshman was very telling as well.  Joe at 19 must have been something to see.  He called the plays at Alabama, and would routinely call less than 10 passes in an entire game.  He was the opposite his early days in the NFL, trying to be the star over winning the game.

The drinking to me was very sad.  All that pain killing because of his knees

Kriegel also says the idea for TV revenue sharing is really more of a Sonny werblin idea than pete rozelle one, so the NFL owes a lot to the late 60's Jets, they gave the NFL a Beatle, TV revenue and a superbowl win for the AFL

18 hours ago, SAR I said:

I am merely stating Joe Namath facts and pointing out that he did some really stupid and awful things the likes of which would have gotten him ridden out of town if social media were around back then.  In the context of this thread it's on-topic and interesting.

Have you read the Kriegel biography?  It's very flattering of Namath, it's a quick read, but there are some parts I never knew.  The water skiing thing blew my mind as did his repeated threats of retirement.

SAR I

The water skiing incident was old news.  It accelerated his demise. But i don't get the issue.  Wasn't a hammy, was a torn muscle, why would anyone expect that to happen?  Not like the skiing led to another knee injury.  Guy played in constant pain, pain bad enough that others would have been stopped dead in their tracks.  But some how in his first 5 seasons he managed to play every game.  He risked his long term health on the field and we're judging him for trying to enjoy his offseason?  Pretty brutal.

Just like when you criticize him for the preseason game vs Detroit.  Threw an INT and tried to make a tackle and was injured.  As he said then he only knew one way to play the game.  You never saw a bigger competitor if you were lucky enough to watch him on the field.  That part he got right.  I'll take a team of guys like that every time  

He laid it all on the field, you completely miss what Joe was and meant.  Joe was made for social media

20 hours ago, Flushing Roots said:

Johnny Manziel is a girlfriend beating drug addict.

Say what you want about Joe Namath but he's not that.

Sure the guy made mistakes like you and I and the rest of humanity.

But he has more class in his pinkie finger than Johnny Manziel.

And you know he's had more *ss than all of us on JN put together.

You may read about it but he never talked about it.

Call me crazy but you have to respect that.

Wilt Chamberlain put a number on it but I'll bet you Namath makes him look like a choir boy.

Can't say I ever heard anything about Joe being a woman beater, but I'd say showing up to games on 0 hours of sleep still loaded on blow and alcohol constitutes having a little bit of a problem.  Never debated his ability to get some either.  Dude was slick.  Also never said I was without my own problems as a human.

Look, I love and respect Joe for everything he means to the NFL and our team, but the two of those guys really aren't as far off as many fans  think he is in terms of "issues".  Modern day Joe Namath would have been nuts to follow on social media. 

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Can't say I ever heard anything about Joe being a woman beater, but I'd say showing up to games on 0 hours of sleep still loaded on blow and alcohol constitutes having a little bit of a problem.  Never debated his ability to get some either.  Dude was slick.  Also never said I was without my own problems as a human.

Look, I love and reslect Joe for everything he means to the NFL and our team, but the two of those guys really aren't as far off as many fans  think he is in terms of "issues".  Modern day Joe Namath would have been nuts to follow on social media. 

blow ?   where did you get that?

35 minutes ago, Larz said:

blow ?   where did you get that?

A story I read a while back, I'm at work right now so I'll try and find it later.  Probably should have just mentioned the drinking because that's all we know he did for a fact.  My bad.  Wouldn't shock me if it's true though.  Back then recreational drugs were all the rage.  Bigger point is that Joe had very similar demons to him.

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Look, I love and respect Joe for everything he means to the NFL and our team, but the two of those guys really aren't as far off as many fans  think he is in terms of "issues".  Modern day Joe Namath would have been nuts to follow on social media. 

Joe enjoyed the Johnnie Walker Red (legal), always showed up for work and won a SB.

Johnny Manziel snorted coke (illegal), beat his girlfriend, was suspended by the league for drug use and never won anything.

Okay, both had issues but putting both in the same category as far as their issues is a stretch.

5 hours ago, Mogglez said:

A story I read a while back, I'm at work right now so I'll try and find it later.  Probably should have just mentioned the drinking because that's all we know he did for a fact.  My bad.  Wouldn't shock me if it's true though.  Back then recreational drugs were all the rage.  Bigger point is that Joe had very similar demons to him.

it wouldn't shock me, but i've never heard that before.  I would need a pretty good source to accept that claim

Archived