Bill Walsh

AFJF

BIll Walsh once put an exact number on how many starts he needs to see out of a QB before he knows if he's gonna' be any good.  I forget the exact number, but I remember thinking when I read it, that it was basically a year and a half, so let's say it's somewhere around 24 starts.  That's how long one of the greatest minds this game has ever known says he needed to evaluate a QB.

Yet I've met/heard no fewer than a dozen Jets fans say that after three NFL starts, they know Petty's not the guy.

FFS

5 minutes ago, AFJF said:

BIll Walsh once put an exact number on how many starts he needs to see out of a QB before he knows if he's gonna' be any good.  I forget the exact number, but I remember thinking when I read it, that it was basically a year and a half, so let's say it's somewhere around 24 starts.  That's how long one of the greatest minds this game has ever known says he needed to evaluate a QB.

Yet I've met/heard no fewer than a dozen Jets fans say that after three NFL starts, they know Petty's not the guy.

FFS

There are a great deal of lol's here...lol

19 minutes ago, AFJF said:

FFS

I guess the Jets pulled the plug too soon on Browning Nagle and Brooks Bollinger.   

I get the point on Petty but it's hard to argue that Nagle or Bollywood just needed more time.   

Just now, LionelRichie said:

I guess the Jets pulled the plug too soon on Browning Nagle and Brooks Bollinger.   

I get the point on Petty but it's hard to argue that Nagle or Bollywood just needed more time.   

Yeah, pretty much the same thing.

Just now, LionelRichie said:

Nagle was a 2nd rd pick, started about 3/4 of a season, and pretty much never played again.   Did the Jets need to see more Nagle b/f cutting him loose?   

Was he showing progress from week to week, or was he the same bum who couldn't complete 50% of his passes?

3 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

doesn't matter according to Bill Walsh.    

I'm sure Walsh didn't give every one of his QB's 20 starts if they regressed significantly.  Petty has looked better from start to start, Nagle threw for 366 yards in his first start, then followed it up with a 9-29 performance, that's a 31% completion percentage, and he had several games with similar stat lines despite more reps, more starts.

I guess it's possible you're correct too though.  Maybe these teams only need to hang on to these QB's for 3 NFL starts.  If the light doesn't go on by then, cut bait and  move on to the next guy?

Just now, NoBowles said:

Question I have is who in the organization has a damn clue about identifying or developing a QB??

Mac? Shrugs

Bowles? Hell no

Gailey? Not really

Kirk Cousins has looked pretty good over the past two seasons.  After Geno got knocked out, the first call Mac made was to the Redskins to see if they were willing to deal him, but sadly they were not.

Bryce Petty has 3 NFL starts under his belt and Hack hasn't played yet.

I'm not overly optimistic about either of them TBH, but I'm willing to let them try to play QB before saying they can't play QB.

43 minutes ago, AFJF said:

FFS

Don't you know? Bill Walsh has nothing on the geniuses that post on here. According to them, Petty sux and should be cut.

Sickening.

Just now, Ken Shroy said:

Don't you know? Bill Walsh has nothing on the geniuses that post on here. According to them Petty sux and should be cut.

Sickening.

Had somebody tell me after Petty's first start that "He's obviously not the guy".  Right, one start...so obvious.

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Kirk Cousins has looked pretty good over the past two seasons.  After Geno got knocked out, the first call Mac made was to the Redskins to see if they were willing to deal him, but sadly they were not.

Bryce Petty has 3 NFL starts under his belt and Hack hasn't played yet.

I'm not overly optimistic about either of them TBH, but I'm willing to let them try to play QB before saying they can't play QB.

I think Petty has the tools to be a good QB, but I have zero confidence in anyone in the org currently assessing him, particularly on the coaching staff. Fair point about Cousins.

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Had somebody tell me after Petty's first start that "He's obviously not the guy".  Right, one start...so obvious.

Agreed. Why did Dallas ask about Petty when Romo went down? Because they saw SOMETHING that they liked from his pre season film. So, some on here would declare he isn't going to be anything now? Sure cut him loose, watch him go to a REAL CS and you could be screwing yourselves big time.

Just now, Ken Shroy said:

Agreed. Why did Dallas ask about Petty when Romo went down? Because they saw SOMETHING that they liked from his pre season film. So, some on here would declare he isn't going to be anything now? Sure cut him loose, watch him go to a REAL CS and you could be screwing yourselves big time.

Yup, and when the Jets were trying to unload Geno and called around to teams to gauge interest, teams said "No" to Geno, but asked about Petty's availability.

7 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

I think Petty has the tools to be a good QB, but I have zero confidence in anyone in the org currently assessing him, particularly on the coaching staff. Fair point about Cousins.

Chan has done fine in the past with young QB's.  Better than any OC this team has had in forever.

12 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Question I have is who in the organization has a damn clue about identifying or developing a QB??

Mac? Shrugs

Bowles? Hell no

Gailey? Not really

Yeah, they're all too stupid.

WTF does Gailey know about QBs.  That moron didn't want Fitz to start.

1 minute ago, NoBowles said:

I can't think of one legitimate QB he has ever developed.

There's a reason for that.  He's been the OC for a lot of bad teams so his stints often ended when the HC got fired.

His thing is that he's always (except for this season) gotten the most out of his QB's, and he's had some pretty bad ones who played their best football, by far, under Gailey.

I know everyone is pissed off right now, but personally, I'm not going to write off a guy with a lengthy track record of success based on one terrible season.

4 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I know you guys are all chesty because your boy managed to put up 10 whole points last night, but I think even you would agree that he struggles with diagnosing blitzes and progressing through reads, holds the ball way too long, and has scattershot ball placement. You know who that sounds like? Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith. Obviously Petty gets the rest of this year, and he'll be in the mix in camp next summer, and that's fine. But the idea that a 25-year-old is somehow going to magically learn how to diagnose a defense or hit a hot read or speed up his internal clock or start throwing dimes is akin to the annual August story about Chad improvng his arm strength in the offseason. Either you can do it or you can't, and it sure as sh*t doesn't take 24 starts to know one way or the other.

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

There's a reason for that.  He's been the OC for a lot of bad teams so his stints often ended when the HC got fired.

His thing is that he's always (except for this season) gotten the most out of his QB's, and he's had some pretty bad ones who played their best football, by far, under Gailey.

I know everyone is pissed off right now, but personally, I'm not going to write off a guy with a lengthy track record of success based on one terrible season.

I like his offense from a design standpoint, but that is the extent of what I think he does well. I think he is a terrible play caller. Im not saying he can't develop a QB, I just have not seen him do it. I am not a fan of Gailey, never was. I was very annoyed with the hire when it was made, and I have seen nothing in 2 years to make me feel any different.

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Petty has looked markedly better in the last month. He is becoming more decisive in his reads, and is starting to look comfortable back there. I have to think some of that has to do with coaching, no? If Hack is progressing like Petty has, the situation may not be as bad as people think. 

Let's be honest here fellas, Petty's had 3 whole starts and he STILL makes mistakes.  Looks nothing like Tom Brady out there.  Can't possibly justify giving him a 4th start after all we've seen.

7 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I know you guys are all chesty because your boy managed to put up 10 whole points last night, but I think even you would agree that he struggles with diagnosing blitzes and progressing through reads, holds the ball way too long, and has scattershot ball placement. You know who that sounds like? Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith. Obviously Petty gets the rest of this year, and he'll be in the mix in camp next summer, and that's fine. But the idea that a 25-year-old is somehow going to magically learn how to diagnose a defense or hit a hot read or speed up his internal clock or start throwing dimes is akin to the annual August story about Chad improvng his arm strength in the offseason. Either you can do it or you can't, and it sure as sh*t doesn't take 24 starts to know one way or the other.

LMAO!

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

Petty has looked markedly better in the last month. He is becoming more decisive in his reads, and is starting to look comfortable back there. I have to think some of that has to do with coaching, no? If Hack is progressing like Petty has, the situation may not be as bad as people think. 

Right, but if you look closely, he still makes mistakes and isn't anywhere near perfect.  Isn't 3 starts enough?  Let's give Hack the next two weeks.  If he makes any mistakes we know he's not the answer either and we can cut both of them and move on.

38 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

Nagle was a 2nd rd pick, started about 3/4 of a season, and pretty much never played again.   Did the Jets need to see more Nagle b/f cutting him loose?   

Lets not forget that Nagle went to Indy and couldn't crack the lineup there either so, yeah he stunk and Coslet knew it. When you see that the kid makes the wrong reads that says it all, and Petty is getting close to that. Not ready to give up on him yet, but he missed several throws, and of course, our man Marshall had him another bad drop. 

Just now, AFJF said:

Right, but if you look closely, he still makes mistakes and isn't anywhere near perfect.  Isn't 3 starts enough?  Let's give Hack the next two weeks.  If he makes any mistakes we know he's not the answer either and we can cut both of them and move on.

:D Touche. And do this every two years. At least it will be good for Max's site!

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Yes. That's the plan. We can then draft another 1 next year, give him 3 starts and if he doesn't look like Brady we can always do it again in 2018.

Those guys figured it out. I'm in....

37 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Lets not forget that Nagle went to Indy and couldn't crack the lineup there either so, yeah he stunk and Coslet knew it. When you see that the kid makes the wrong reads that says it all, and Petty is getting close to that. Not ready to give up on him yet, but he missed several throws, and of course, our man Marshall had him another bad drop. 

There were quite a few drops.  Post game show guys said five or six but I don't know the actual count.

Worst thing was the non PI call play to Marshall down the rt sideline.  If there's no PI, that ball is right in his hands and possible a big TD.  

55 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Its really a shame that your such an agenda driven poster

Archived