JetNation.com Mock Draft v1.0

JetNation

Hooker.jpg

By Glenn Naughton

Last season JetNation.com resisted the temptation to do a Jets mock draft every twenty or thirty minutes as some sites seem to do, and we published just one in the days leading up to the draft.  This season, we’ll take  a stab at one pre-combine mock, and one post-combine mock.

Last year’s mock draft, which you can find heremissed the mark on all but one player, Juston Burris, who we thought would still be around much later in the draft (7th round), than where the Jets actually chose him with the 20th pick in round 4.

So with last season’s swings and misses behind us, armed with more information that last year, we bring to you, JetNation.com’s first mock draft of the 2017 offseason.

ROUND 1:

FS Malik Hooker, 6′ 2” 205, Ohio State University: 

Remember, this a pre-combine mock draft, so if any prediction will change between now and the draft, it’s the first round pick, where the Jets would love to snag a quarterback if one emerges during the pre-draft process.  There’s also the possibility that the Jets sign a veteran free agent such as Mike Glennon or Tyrod Taylor, should he shake loose in Buffalo, filling the void at QB.

For now, we’re going to assume that Mike Maccagnan goes with the best player available with the sixth pick as he did years ago with Leonard Williams, and that player could very well be Malik Hooker.  Hooker didn’t see the filed very much at Ohio State until last season when he intercepted 7 passes, returning 3 for touchdowns.  Clearly a playmaker on rise.

Hooker consistently showed excellent instincts and break on the ball.  Right now, the Jets secondary is an absolute disaster and the re-build of that unit has to be among Maccagnan’s top-3 priorities this offseason.

Bolles-300x272.jpg

Garrett Bolles has shown excellent agility and tenacity in his time at Utah.

ROUND 2: 

OT Garrett Bolles, 6′ 5” 296, Utah

If Bolles impresses teams at the combine during his workouts and interviews, he could vault himself into the first round, but if he’s there for the Jets, he should be the pick.

Along with quarterback and the secondary, left tackle should round out Maccagnan’s top-3 priorities, and Bolles is a physically gifted player who shows excellent agility and tenacity at the point of attack and beyond.

Several outlets have reported Bolles’ several run-ins with the law early in his career, but he took a couple of seasons away from football and seems to have matured since getting married and having a child.  The biggest knock on Bolles might be his age (24), but that’s not something that would prevent him from playing a decade or so of quality football in the NFL.  His agility and tenacity would be a welcome addition.

ROUND 3: 

C Ethan Pocic, 6′ 6” 307, LSU

As admirably as Wesley Johnson filled in for the injured Nick Mangold last season, the Jets still need to get better at the pivot and Pocic would allow them to do just that.

Like Bolles, Pocic shows excellent intensity, plays with a mean streak and has the physical tools to play multiple positions, having lined up at right guard for nine games with LSU.

Bolles and Pocic could complete the team’s youth movement up front, with Brandon Shell, who was drafted last season, being the early favorite to win the right tackle job next year.

If Pocic is off the board here, Baylor center Kyle Fuller is the name on the Jets draft card.

Round 4 (Comp pick): 

CB Ahkello Witherspoon, 6′ 2” 195, Colorado

Continuing to address their beleaguered secondary, the Jets snag a player whose stock rose steadily throughout the course of the 2016 college season.

Witherspoon-300x169.jpg

At 6′ 3”, Witherspoon will stand out in any secondary.college season.

Just a few short months ago, Witherspoon carried a projected 7th round grade from CBSSports.com, but his stellar play (26.5% comp pct allowed) has him currently listed as a 4th round projection.

According to NFL.com, Witherspoon has strong footwork as a result of playing a lot of soccer in his youth, which will help him match up with some of the quick-footed receivers he’ll face at the pro level.  Being a 6′ 2” cornerback won’t hurt his case either.

Round 5: 

TE Adam Shaheen, 6′ 5” 277, Ashland

A small school product out of Ashaland, Shaheen put up big numbers in college, catching a record setting 70 passes to go along with 10 touchdowns.

With a lack of playing time against big-time programs, Shaheen will likely be overwhelmed early on in the NFL, but if he puts in the time and effort, he has the physical tools to be a legitimate weapon for any offense.

Per NFL.com, one scout had this to say when asked about Shaheen:

“I watched him for two games and turned the tape off because I want to see him live in Indy before I develop any more of an opinion of him. I saw some things that has me very excited.” – AFC pro personnel director

The gaping hole at the Jets currently have at tight end makes the position another priority, and Shaheen could be the player to fill a void that’s been present for much of the past decade.

Round 6:

OLB Ryan Anderson, 6′ 2” 258, Alabama

New Jets linebackers coach Kevin Greene will likely have the opportunity to develop some young outside ‘backers who have proven they can get to the quarterback, so a player like Anderson is a good candidate.

A disciplined player who appeared in 44 games for Nick Saban’s Crimson Tide, Anderson logged 19 sacks and 39.5 tackles for loss and six forced fumbles.  Expect that production to be placed under the microscope by skeptics who site a stacked Alabama defense that will often leave pass-rushers being blocked one-on-one.

Much like Greene, Anderson plays with a high motor and has the pedigree to succeed as a pro.

Anderson-300x220.jpg

Ryan Anderson has the discipline and pedigree to become a solid pro.

Round 7: 

WR Fred Ross, 6′ 2” 207, Mississippi State

More offense for the Jets who may be looking to move on from either Brandon Marshall or Eric Decker, or both.  There is some good young talent at the position with Quincy Enunwa, Robby Anderson, Charone Peake, Jalin Marshall and Devin Smith, but only Enunwa has proven that he can play in the pro’s.

Ross would give the Jets a taller target who has displayed incredible hands at times and who also has experience as a punt returner (38-315-8.3).

Mississippi Sate used Ross primarily out of the slot, but he was also asked to line up outside over the course of his career.  He would give the Jets another versatile young receiver to compete for playing time while potentially filling a void at punt returner.

So there you have it.

Between now and draft day, there will be risers and fallers as interviews, medical reports and workouts may change the expectations for a slew of prospects, and that’s when we’ll rack and stack them again to make our best effort to get inside the heads of Gang Green’s brain trust.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
KMf3TSoWoX4

Click here to read the full story...

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

That.....wow, I almost have no words.

Free Safety at #5 overall?  A Center when we have a set #1 and #2 at the position?

That draft would be horrible, flat out horrible.

How the hell are we set at #1 and #2 at center?  Mangold is very pricey and could get cut and has been getting hurt alot.  Johnson is a total jag whom people inexplicably have fallen in love with.

I would not at all be surprised if we picked a S at 6.  I wouldn't be happy but I could see it happening.

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

so the team that was 30th in the nlf in points scored doesn't take an offensive skill position until the 5th round?  this team will never get better with a draft like this.

The issue is that our high priced stinky vets who all played awful on defense last year made the defensive head coach look bad.  I can see this type of draft quite easily.  I agree with you on your comments but this kind of draft would come as zero surprise to me.

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I could see the Jets draft looking something like that.  They were talking the TE Shaeen up a LOT on nfl network the other day to the point that there is little likelihood he will be there in the 5th round.

Anderson also seems to be very low in this draft.

Despite the fact that this mock was only finished a few minutes ago, I agree with the Sheehan comment.  I'd already done the first five picks when I had to stop to take care of a few things.  During that time I saw an article that was about top sleepers in the draft.  I think Sheehan was the first one on the list, with one scout saying he was the third best TE in the draft in his opinion.

Like it says....pre-draft that'll change once interviews and workouts take place.

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

How the hell are we set at #1 and #2 at center?  Mangold is very pricey and could get cut and has been getting hurt alot.  Johnson is a total jag whom people inexplicably have fallen in love with.

I would not at all be surprised if we picked a S at 6.  I wouldn't be happy but I could see it happening.

How are we set?  We have a solid all-pro starter in Mangold, and a solid, capable backup-to-transition-to-starter behind him.

And no, a Safety at #6 overall would be laughable.  The kind of stupid pick an uninformed person thinks is "picking for the long term".

A Safety, with almost no resume whatsoever, at #6 overall, because something something BAP/workout warrior something Gholston er D-Rob something, and a 3rd Center.....leaving CB and LB for like, whenever we get to it, man, yeah, that's brilliant.  BRILLIANT.

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

That.....wow, I almost have no words.

Free Safety at #5 overall?  A Center when we have a set #1 and #2 at the position?

That draft would be horrible, flat out horrible.

My thoughts as well, no stars, no speed, no offensive threats, same old reaches.

This team is so devoid of speed and star power, with the #6 pick you MUST MUST MUST MUST draft an impact player that is not a CB or S.

Just now, ASH1962 said:

My thoughts as well, no stars, no speed, no offensive threats, same old reaches.

This team is so devoid of speed and star power, with the #6 pick you MUST MUST MUST MUST draft an impact player that is not a CB or S.

Quincy Enunwa ran a 4.45

Robby Anderson ran a 4.34

Charone Peake ran a 4.45

Devin Smith ran a 4.42

Yes, Smith is a question mark, but that's four WR's, three of which played regularly last season, who run 4.45 or faster.

How is four guys at sub 4.45 "deviod of speed"?

The fact that the QB play was atrocious and couldn't hit wide open receivers streaking down the field does not mean the receivers are slow.

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

How are we set?  We have a solid all-pro starter in Mangold, and a solid, capable backup-to-transition-to-starter behind him.

And no, a Safety at #6 overall would be laughable.  The kind of stupid pick an uninformed person thinks is "picking for the long term".

A Safety, with almost no resume whatsoever, at #6 overall, because something something BAP/workout warrior something Gholston er D-Rob something, and a 3rd Center.....leaving CB and LB for like, whenever we get to it, man, yeah, that's brilliant.  BRILLIANT.

Plenty of time for things to unfold, but I think Mangold and his $9 million price tag is gone.

6 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

100% drafting a CB at 6. The only reason they won't take Hooker is because he's hurt.

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

100% drafting a CB at 6. The only reason they won't take Hooker is because he's hurt.

The reason they should stay the **** away from Hooker is because he's from Ohio State and the Jets have had about as much luck with Ohio State players as John Travolta has had with appearing like a normal person.

I may have preferred last year's mock to who the Jets actually picked.

The thing with Hooker is that you basically have him replace Gilcrist and be cap positive.  The negative to Hooker is that FA CBs are $10mm+, so there is more value there.

So if Lattimore is there at 6 he is the pick for the Jets.  if he is not, then Hooker could be the guy.

I would sign Jefferson or stick with Pryor before picking a SS, Adams.  Chancellor makes $7mm, and he may be the best at that spot.

17 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The reason they should stay the **** away from Hooker is because he's from Ohio State and the Jets have had about as much luck with Ohio State players as John Travolta has had with appearing like a normal person.

I still can't believe Anthony Schlegel didn't pan out.

Just now, T0mShane said:

Stomping all over RJF's joke will get you on The List.

Sorry.  I wouldn't want him to get very upset and write a post explaining just how upset he is.

In fairness, Gholston almost negates Mangold, and the rest has been meh.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What will probably happen:

1.6 Lattimore

What should happen:

1.12 (after one of those fantasy trade downs): Mike Williams, Fournette, Cook, or Corey Davis

YOLO:

1.6: Deshaun Watson

2.7: Christian McCaffrey

3.6: Jordan Leggett

I like Leggett too.  Wouldn't mind him at some point.

Pats are taking McCaffrey...possibly moving up to #1 overall if necessary to do it.

Just now, AFJF said:

I like Leggett too.  Wouldn't mind him at some point.

Pats are taking McCaffrey...possibly moving up to #1 overall if necessary to do it.

The Pats will just wait for next Jets Head Coach Jeff Fisher to cut McCaffrey, then they'll turn him into an All-Pro.

While I certainly would not be happy at all with this draft, I must say, it took everything in my power not to bump your last years mock when I was right about Connor Cook.  

The only thing that stopped me?  I had already bumped it in April a couple days after the draft.  

Yes, I'm a loser. 

Why I dont like this draft, you ask?  Because lets be honest, you value my expertise.

Hooker - 1 year wonder playing vs. poop on a stick at QB.  Picking off, Bowling Green twice, Tulsa, Indiana, Nebraska is not impressive.  That said, his pick in the playoff game vs. Watson was insane.  He covered a ridiculous amount of field to do it.  Either way, I'm not comfortable taking a one year wonder who takes questionable angles and doesnt like to tackle at #6 overall.  I personally prefer Adams over Hooker.

Bolles - I keep reading about how athletic he is but this goes kind of back to the above.  He's got 1 year vs. the big boys.  Scary to trust him to be your starting LT next year. 

Pocic - he's a center, so whatever, but the dude is 6'6...that just seems really tall for a C and he wasnt impressive vs. Florida or Bama this year.  I just see him not being able to get leverage on monster DT/NT. 

Cant say I know anything about Colorado or Ashland, so dont have a critique on the player.  All I can say is this team is desperate for a CB and they waited till the 4th round to take one?  I know this is a deep draft but I feel like I'd rather see a CB than those 2 OLmen you drafted.  Especially if a big name drops into the early 2nd.

Love the Anderson pick - is he going to be there in the 6th round?  I doubt it. 

Ross is a sleeper I like.  Saw a ton of targets and he can return kicks too. 

Archived