Was Darrelle Revis the best Jets defensive player ever?

Sarge4Tide

Revis  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Darrelle Revis was the best defensive player in the history of the New York Jets

• Strongly Agree
    • Agree
    • Neutral / No Opinion
    • Disagree
    • Strongly Disagree

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

giphy.gif

Aaron Glenn is one of the most overrated players in Jets history.  he was a quality corner but nothing special, he would get roasted by big time WRs while Revis completely shut them down and let's not forget we made our 1998 run WITHOUT Glenn who got hurt on a day where Joey Galloway abused him against Seattle and he was basically done for the year.

the funny thing is Revis is known for shutting down opposing #1s and not for INTs or TDs BUT Glenn in basically 8 full seasons had 24 INts and 3 INT TDs while Revis in basically 7 full seasons had 25 INts and 3 INT TDs so not only was he vastly superior at shutting guys down he was a better playmaker even though he had far fewer opportunities b/c opposing QBs were scared to throw his way unlike Glenn who was picked on all the time.

I like this one but I just wish it showed Revis grabbing his hammy:

randy-moss-td-o.gif

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Viermoo said:

Revis is not only the best defensive player in Jet history but probably the best CB is NFL history.... and no, Deion was not better.

Revis' prime was much shorter then Deions, or Daryl Green, or Mel Blount

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

I like this one but I just wish it showed Revis grabbing his hammy:

randy-moss-td-o.gif

he was hurt, he was out for weeks.  that was the only play Moss made on him, revis dominated Moss when they matched up.

amazing Jet fans would discuss that but not his domination against Moss the rest of the time.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

he was hurt, he was out for weeks.  that was the only play Moss made on him, revis dominated Moss when they matched up.

amazing Jet fans would discuss that but not his domination against Moss the rest of the time.

How does TJ Yates taste?

VCBvsZE.gif

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

Or maybe you prefer Tannehole?

Revis.gif

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Or maybe you prefer a little Tyrod Taylor to Sammy Watkins?

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif

we have the worst fans on the planet, every corner gets beat, none have been beaten fewer than revis and notice 95% of those clips are post knee injury where he was still great(until 2016) just not as great as he was before.

43 minutes ago, JiF said:

This is so insulting to Klecko it's not even funny.  The dude never took a playoff let alone entire seasons.

**** Darrelle Revis and his sh*tty sand bar. 

Why do you have to hate Revis in order to love Klecko? Or vice versa?

They were both great players. Revis was better. But that's not an insult at all to Klecko. And people who think Klecko was better should be thinking the same way about Revis. On the field for the New York Jets, the guy was a dominant player minus last season.

10 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Agreed. Revis completely owned Moss. Wasn't even close.

I dont know. He was really good for a few years back in the late 2000's. I have a hard time remembering anything about his career other than the stretch in 2009 and the holdouts. The Jets have had such sh*tty talent that he stands out, but his career was kind of dull.

3 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Why do you have to hate Revis in order to love Klecko? Or vice versa?

They were both great players. Revis was better. But that's not an insult at all to Klecko. And people who think Klecko was better should be thinking the same way about Revis. On the field for the New York Jets, the guy was a dominant player minus last season.

You're right. I apologize for saying that. If you prefer a player who was all about himself, made his career off one season, held his team team hostage  numerous times, won a Super Bowl for the bitter rival, literally quit on his team multiple times...over a guy who gave it his all every single play and is the only player in the history of the NFL to make the ProBowl at every position the DL, go for it!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

You're right. I apologize for saying that. If you prefer a player who was all about himself, made his career off one season, held his team team hostage  numerous times, won a Super Bowl for the bitter rival, literally quit on his team multiple times...over a guy who gave it his all every single play and is the only player in the history of the NFL to make the ProBowl at every position the DL, go for it!!!!!!

so b/c he tried to make as much money as possible that's a bad thing? he was a great player all but 2016 and w/ him we won more playoff games than Klecko, Namath, or whoever else ever won.

when did he literally quit on his team multiple times?

Klecko was basically healthy for one playoff win in his career but if pro bowls mean more to you that's on you(even though darrelle has more PBs).

1 minute ago, JiF said:

That's ridiculous. Revis was great from 2008-till last season started. Even his first season in the league he started to put it together in the second half. People remember 2009 so fondly in regards to him because it may very well have been the greatest season a CB has ever had. He was that dominant. And he had a coach who wasn't afraid to let the league know how good he was. You know how many teams would have loved to shut Rex up in regards to Revis? Probably all of them that year. They never did. That's why Dolphins fans to this day talk about how great the Ted Ginn Jr. TD was. Because it came against Revis. Something that didn't happen very often. If anything, the 2009 season set a standard of greatness that was really tough to reach again. So people look at seasons like 2015, or his season with the Bucs and talk about how they weren't that good. When in reality, they were absolutely good seasons for a CB.

5 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

That's ridiculous. Revis was great from 2008-till last season started. Even his first season in the league he started to put it together in the second half. People remember 2009 so fondly in regards to him because it may very well have been the greatest season a CB has ever had. He was that dominant. And he had a coach who wasn't afraid to let the league know how good he was. You know how many teams would have loved to shut Rex up in regards to Revis? Probably all of them that year. They never did. That's why Dolphins fans to this day talk about how great the Ted Ginn Jr. TD was. Because it came against Revis. Something that didn't happen very often. If anything, the 2009 season set a standard of greatness that was really tough to reach again. So people look at seasons like 2015, or his season with the Bucs and talk about how they weren't that good. When in reality, they were absolutely good seasons for a CB.

as great as 2009 was once he was healthy and in football shape in 2010 he was even better.  obviously he wasn't 100% to start the year after the holdout then missed some time w/ the hamstring but in that 2010 season:

held Calvin Johnson to ONE catch for 13 yds

held Andre Johnson to 4 for 32(andrew as supposed to get revenge for Revis holding him to 4 for 35 the year before.

held Chad Johnson to 4 for 41

held Brandon Marshall to 2 for 16(1 TD though it wasn't against revis)

at Pitt reg season was on Hines Ward and held him to 2 for 34 while Mike Wallace had 7 for 102 agaisnt Cro

In title game at Pitt he moved to wallace and Wallace had 1 for 6

held reggie Wayne in playoffs to 1 catch for 1 yard

he was ridiculous in 2010 once he was back in football shape.

32 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

as great as 2009 was once he was healthy and in football shape in 2010 he was even better.  obviously he wasn't 100% to start the year after the holdout then missed some time w/ the hamstring but in that 2010 season:

held Calvin Johnson to ONE catch for 13 yds

held Andre Johnson to 4 for 32(andrew as supposed to get revenge for Revis holding him to 4 for 35 the year before.

held Chad Johnson to 4 for 41

held Brandon Marshall to 2 for 16(1 TD though it wasn't against revis)

at Pitt reg season was on Hines Ward and held him to 2 for 34 while Mike Wallace had 7 for 102 agaisnt Cro

In title game at Pitt he moved to wallace and Wallace had 1 for 6

held reggie Wayne in playoffs to 1 catch for 1 yard

he was ridiculous in 2010 once he was back in football shape.

The 2010 game in Detroit against Calvin is one of the best games I ever saw him play. He took him 1 on 1 the entire game and dominated on the turf in Detroit.

It took him a little while in 2010 because of the holdout and injury that followed in week 2 against New England, but when he came he was dominant again as well. Agreed.

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

Did Abraham?  Or was he injured and the coach overstated his ability to play?

I think Abe was sick for that 2001 playoff game at Oakland.  I believe he tried to play but didn't have his explosiveness.  it killed us, a week earlier he was all over Gannon in the win.

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I think Abe was sick for that 2001 playoff game at Oakland.  I believe he tried to play but didn't have his explosiveness.  it killed us, a week earlier he was all over Gannon in the win.

Mangold was a great Jet, but getting rid of Abraham was a huge mistake imo.

I mean, using footage from 2016 to disparage Revis is silly. Obviously he was a shell of himself.

His 2009 season is the best season I've ever seen from a corner, and he was robbed for DPOY. From 2008-2011 he was absolutely dominant. One or two highlights against Moss or (for some reason) Ted Ginn doesn't change that...

How many guys who you've seen play for the Jets were every truly "the best in the entire league?" Revis was that, and it was awesome to have him. He'll never be revered the way certain Jets fan faves are because he was a businessman who milked the organization for everything it was worth, but as far as on field talent/production he was unparalleled in my era as a Jets fan.

16 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Mangold was a great Jet, but getting rid of Abraham was a huge mistake imo.

to be fair at the time Abe was always hurt and didn't he have some off field issues?  I didn't want to get rid of him either but there were circumstances that led to that move.

Just now, nyjunc said:

to be fair at the time Abe was always hurt and didn't he have some off field issues?  I didn't want to get rid of him either but there were circumstances that led to that move.

The main circumstance as I recall was Mangini implementing a defense where the only impact player on the field no longer had a role.

10 minutes ago, gEYno said:

The main circumstance as I recall was Mangini implementing a defense where the only impact player on the field no longer had a role.

I think that had more to do w/ getting rid of Vilma but I am not 100% sure.  I think the off field stuff and always being hurt led them to be careful w/ giving him a big deal and eventually moving him.

Archived