Was Darrelle Revis the best Jets defensive player ever?

Sarge4Tide

Revis  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Darrelle Revis was the best defensive player in the history of the New York Jets

• Strongly Agree
    • Agree
    • Neutral / No Opinion
    • Disagree
    • Strongly Disagree

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

To me, this is a non-argument. Revis didn't even have 1-2 good seasons. He had 1-2 good games, and then Rex built him up as this lockdown threat that he wasn't. So nobody threw at him. Revis didn't suddenly "get old" either, the Bills in 2015 week 17 had NO OTHER OPTIONS but to throw at him, so they did. And they realized that he was nothing but a guy with a over-rated reputation, the league saw it, and did the same in 2016.

The legacy of Revis is that he parlayed a couple of good games, and the bloviating used-car salesman schtick of Rex into MILLIONS of dollars from our dumb sh*t owner, Woody.

Did Revis ever win DPOY?  You dont have to answer because I know he didnt and the year that everyone loves to wash his balls over, another CB won the award.  Charles Woodson (twice the player IMO).  And then another secondary player won it the year after, Troy Polamalu.  And Bob Sanders won it while Revis was in the league too.  Safeties, I know, but damn...Revis was soooooo good but 3 secondary players won the award while he was in the league.

Why no love for the Mevi$ Slouch? 

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will copy and paste a post from last week in response to the asinine talk of Woodson being better than revis.

Woodson belongs in the hall where he will go 1st ballot, he wasn't half the cover corner revis was.  let's look at top WRs in playoff games, obviously it wasn't all on one player(the best WR against revis did most of his damage in prevent mode when revis wasn't on him) but it gives us a good guide:

Woodson:

w/ Oak:

2000:

vs. Mia: Gadsden 1 rec 33 yds

vs. Bal: Ismail 1-18

2001:

vs. NYJ: Coles 8-123

at NE: Brown 4-43

2002:

vs. NYJ: Coles 4-30

vs. Ten: Mason 5-41

vs. TB: Keyshawn: 6-69

w/ GB:

2007:

vs. Sea: Engram 6-67-1

vs. NYG: Plax 11-151

2009(the year he was DPOY robbing Revis b/c voters were impressed w/ a few TDs):

at Ari: fitz: 6-82-2

2010:

at phi: Maclin 3-73

at Atl: white 6-57-1

at Chi: knox 2-56

I will leave out SB as he got hurt early

2011:

vs NYG: Nicks 7-165-2

14 games:

70 recs, 1008 yds, 6 TDs

prorate over 16 game season: 80 recs, 1152 yds, 7 TDs

keep in mind the early part of his career the rules were different and it wasn't as much of a passing league as it was all of Revis' career.

Revis:

w/ Jets:

2009:

at Cin: Johnson 2-28

at SD: Jackson 7-111

at Ind: Wayne 3-55

2010:

at ind: Wayne 1-1

at NE: Branch 5-59-1

at Pitt: Wallace 1-6

w. Pats:

2014:

vs. Bal: Smith 3-44-1

vs. Ind: Hilton 1-36

vs. Sea: Baldwin 1-3-1

9 games:

24 recs, 343 yds, 3 TDs

prorate over a 16 game season: 43 recs, 610 yds, 5 TDs

prorated #s over a 16 game season:

Woodson: 80 recs, 1152 yds, 7 TDs

Revis: 43 recs, 610 yds, 5 TDs

and looked at the Qbs they faced:

Woodson:

Jay Fiedler, Trent Dilfer, Vinny Testaverde, Tom Brady(1st yr in blizzard), Chad Pennington, Steve McNair, Brad Johnson, Matt Hasslebeck, Eli Manning, Kurt Warner, Michael Vick, Matt Ryan, Jay Cutler/Caleb Hanie, Eli Manning, 

Revis:

Carson Palmer, Philip Rivers, Peyton Manning, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, Joe Flacco, Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson

best jets defensive player for about 12 snaps in his jets career, Kris Jenkins

best jets defensive player for 3 years, Mevi$

best jets defensive player for a career, joe klecko.  the 20 sacks from and basically inventing a new technique put him over the top

and I'm a hater, so there's that

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

best jets defensive player for a career, joe klecko.  the 20 sacks from and basically inventing a new technique put him over the top

Revis is a 4x all pro, 7x pro bowler

Klecko a 2 time all pro, 4x pro bowler

I don't understand how he had a better career.

1 hour ago, NoBowles said:

Thats called racially motivated trolling.

Please explain how my post is racially motivated?

For somebody who had complained in the past about people playing the race card, you sure do it alot yourself lol

2 hours ago, Larz said:

You know you hit the nail on the head with Jenkins.

Ive never seen anybody dominate the way he did those 2 years he got hurt. For a short span.

Goes in the what if category

1 minute ago, Obrien2Toon said:

You know you hit the nail on the head with Jenkins.

Ive never seen anybody dominate the way he did those 2 years he got hurt. For a short span.

Goes in the what if category

remember the bills game ?  they had some poor backup center in the game and Jenkins destroyed him over and over, lol

6 hours ago, nyjunc said:

what made Klecko better than Revis and w/ it not being close?

Duration.  Both were dominant and Revis was probably better in his peak years than Joe Klecko was in his but both of them were at the very top of the NFL in terms of that dominance. Joe Klecko did it for longer and he did it in a position (or to be more accurate in positions) that come with far more day to day wear and tear on the body.  When Joe's body started to betray him, as it did for both of them, part of his brilliance was that he still found different ways to be dominant whereas Darelle Revis has fallen off a cliff performance-wise.   

Taken altogether and as I said I think the final call not really even close IMO.

14 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Go back and look at the targets. QBs didn't even look his way - like it was part of the game plan not to consider throwing his way. That's not "playing great", that's a reputation getting into the heads of the opposing coaching staff. It's gutless on their part, and we benefited from it, but it's not "great play". 

We saw Revis with high volume targets last year, and he was horrid. Not because his wrist, or age, but because he didn't have opposing OC's gameplanning to just not bother throwing his way. Age doesn't make you drop from top 3 in the league to one of the worst, being tested for the first time in years does. He was a product of Rex psyching out the other coach. 

Probably the smarted thing Rex ever did.

That's not playing great?  It's just a multi season rep?  And gutless?  

And your proof is 2016 Revis?  

Wow, wish I thought of this

11 hours ago, EM31 said:

Duration.  Both were dominant and Revis was probably better in his peak years than Joe Klecko was in his but both of them were at the very top of the NFL in terms of that dominance. Joe Klecko did it for longer and he did it in a position (or to be more accurate in positions) that come with far more day to day wear and tear on the body.  When Joe's body started to betray him, as it did for both of them, part of his brilliance was that he still found different ways to be dominant whereas Darelle Revis has fallen off a cliff performance-wise.   

Taken altogether and as I said I think the final call not really even close IMO.

Wow..a reasonable balanced response on JN. :)

As a one time music major...this reminds me of the age old argument of whos the best guitarist? Best Keyboard etc..

Its a fools argument. Klecko was great in his way, Revis in his.  Trying to compare them does no one any good. 

Glad to have watched them both play.  I will say Klecko never got the nationwide recognition Revis got. More a sign of the times, ESPN, internet etc...

12 hours ago, EM31 said:

duration? Klecko played basically 9 full seasons as a Jet, revis 7, that's not a huge difference.

probably better? it's not close, Revis was best of all time great, Klecko was one of the best in his era at his peak.

If Joe was this dominant why did he only make 2 1st team all pro teams?  a dominant player should be making 1st team AP more than 2 times.  Revis was 1st team all pro basically half his seasons.  Heck a dominant player should make more than 4 PBs too, I know the PB can be a joke but if you are dominant and you have that reputation you almost automatically make it.  Revis was 1st team AP 4x, made 7 PBs- the only years he missed were his rookie season, 2012 when he played just 3 games and 2016.   Klecko made 1st team AP 2x and 4 PBs. 

You are correct about oen thing, it's not really close.  you just have the wrong guy out in front.

On 3/1/2017 at 11:08 AM, nyjunc said:

I think Abe was sick for that 2001 playoff game at Oakland.  I believe he tried to play but didn't have his explosiveness.  it killed us, a week earlier he was all over Gannon in the win.

I'm pretty sure that was the 'stomach flu' game. What a skirt. Ugh, that loss, brutal. Aren't they all.  Oh, God, I hate the Raiders. I was so nervous about that PO game, the pacing began in my living room at 5:00 a.m. the morning of. The Jets were giving me mad hope there for a while, and then, what else, they imploded.  Pennington became overwhelmed, the Jets fell apart, and I felt like a garden slug that someone threw salt on. We always drove to Staten Island to meet up with our entire tailgate crew, same place same station, to watch away PO games. Huge party, excellent food, excellent time;  until you started choking on your own tongue, because ya know, the Jets are gonna Jet.  Massive levels of suicidal ideation on the long drive home. I was mildly consoled watching Rich Gannon throw crappy ass baby tantrums in the SB vs. Tampa Bay.  Mildly.

I know some people tend to have this go for the AFC at all costs mentality, but I vote across party lines, believe it.  

On 3/3/2017 at 11:07 PM, jetophile said:

I'm pretty sure that was the 'stomach flu' game. What a skirt. Ugh, that loss, brutal. Aren't they all.  Oh, God, I hate the Raiders. I was so nervous about that PO game, the pacing began in my living room at 5:00 a.m. the morning of. The Jets were giving me mad hope there for a while, and then, what else, they imploded.  Pennington became overwhelmed, the Jets fell apart, and I felt like a garden slug that someone threw salt on. We always drove to Staten Island to meet up with our entire tailgate crew, same place same station, to watch away PO games. Huge party, excellent food, excellent time;  until you started choking on your own tongue, because ya know, the Jets are gonna Jet.  Massive levels of suicidal ideation on the long drive home. I was mildly consoled watching Rich Gannon throw crappy ass baby tantrums in the SB vs. Tampa Bay.  Mildly.

I know some people tend to have this go for the AFC at all costs mentality, but I vote across party lines, believe it.  

he tried to play and wasn't getting it done.  he was in slow motion, that was the 2001 WC game not the 2002 div rd game though.

I was always a root for the AFC guy but I rooted for TB in that SB, I hated that raider team.

• 2 months later...

Greatest QB of all time on revis:

So, like Deion Sanders, for example. I remember watching him play, how spectacular he was. But I can't imagine someone that much better than Revis. If there were, you couldn't complete a ball against Darrelle. So completing a ball against Deion is not much different than completing a ball against Darrelle

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19360436/nfl-new-england-patriots-qb-tom-brady-last-challenge-surpassing-nba-hall-famer-michael-jordan-ultimate-goat

You had a corner who was great for several years, or a D Linemen who was great for a little longer.

Klecko had 20 sacks (unofficial) from LDE while being a great run defender.  All Pro Nose, D Tackle and D End.  I'll always take Klecko

On 3/2/2017 at 7:38 AM, southparkcpa said:

Wow..a reasonable balanced response on JN. :)

As a one time music major...this reminds me of the age old argument of whos the best guitarist? Best Keyboard etc..

Its a fools argument. Klecko was great in his way, Revis in his.  Trying to compare them does no one any good. 

Glad to have watched them both play.  I will say Klecko never got the nationwide recognition Revis got. More a sign of the times, ESPN, internet etc...

If sacks were an official NFL stat for Joe's whole career, he'd be better known.

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:36 AM, thadude said:

Revis had his best seasons when no one could figure out Rex's blitz schemes (2009-2010).  He only had to cover his assignments for 3 seconds tops

yeah that was it.

giphy.gif

10 minutes ago, chirorob said:

You had a corner who was great for several years, or a D Linemen who was great for a little longer.

Klecko had 20 sacks (unofficial) from LDE while being a great run defender.  All Pro Nose, D Tackle and D End.  I'll always take Klecko

How was Klecko greater longer?  I love Joe, I think he belongs in the hall(based on others that have made it) but he simply wasn't greater longer.  Joe was a 2x 1st team all pro, revis a 4x 1st team all pro.

Joe made the PRO BOWL at those positions, wasn't all pro- those 2 honors are very different.

23 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

How was Klecko greater longer?  I love Joe, I think he belongs in the hall(based on others that have made it) but he simply wasn't greater longer.  Joe was a 2x 1st team all pro, revis a 4x 1st team all pro.

Joe made the PRO BOWL at those positions, wasn't all pro- those 2 honors are very different.

Because I was young, so the years seemed longer, and Revis was an a$$ the last couple  years.

If Revi$ had retired after the 2015 season I could see a valid argument to be made on both sides.

last years pitiful excuse for the player he had been leaves too $h*tty of a taste in the mouth to keep him in the discussion

I think if you look at their play relative to their position Revis is the better player. He was just downright dominant for a 2-3 year stretch. The 2009 season was absolutely ridiculous. That said Klecko had a longer career with the Jets and I think really hit on the attributes that most Jets fans seem to respond to whereas Revis' whole career was played more from a mercenary/business first point of view and his last two seasons were just poor. So I think that for most people Klecko will probably go down as the best Jet defensive player. 

3 hours ago, ljr said:

If Revi$ had retired after the 2015 season I could see a valid argument to be made on both sides.

last years pitiful excuse for the player he had been leaves too $h*tty of a taste in the mouth to keep him in the discussion

Yeah the 2016 season really hurts his legacy. The guy showed up to TC with man boobs

Archived