Was Darrelle Revis the best Jets defensive player ever?

Sarge4Tide

Revis  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Darrelle Revis was the best defensive player in the history of the New York Jets

• Strongly Agree
    • Agree
    • Neutral / No Opinion
    • Disagree
    • Strongly Disagree

1 minute ago, detectivekimble said:

Didn't I own you in another thread?  Revis was that.  No matter how much you say he wasn't, it doesn't make it true.  You're a fool who doesn't know what he's talking about.  

He was voted the best defensive player in the NFL by OTHER players.  

I think it's best to move on, I don't believe he is serious.  I think he is just messing w/ people at this point.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, detectivekimble said:

Didn't I own you in another thread?  Revis was that.  No matter how much you say he wasn't, it doesn't make it true.  You're a fool who doesn't know what he's talking about.  

He was voted the best defensive player in the NFL by OTHER players.  

Did you get a ribbon or the trophy for the owning, if not, it didnt happen. 

Revis had a good year.  A very good year.  The best year ever for a corner.  And he owes it all to Rex Ryan. 

2 minutes ago, EM31 said:

I can't speak for players in the era before 1982 when I came to this country but among the players I have seen the answer is Joe Klecko.  It is not really even close in my opinion.

Best single season or best 2-3 year stretch?  Revis I think wins that one.

what made Klecko better than Revis and w/ it not being close?

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

No.  His career has been shortened because he's lazy piece of sh*t that cares more about money that Football. 

Keep making sh*t up.  You have no idea what you're talking about.  Here's what Mike Westhoff said:

"I've been around some great players, including [Dan] Marino, and I can say that Revis works as hard in practice as any player I've ever seen. He wants to win on every play. I remember when Rex [Ryan] used to have the defensive walk-through. Rex played quarterback and he'd throw his passes. Revis wouldn't let Rex complete any passes even in his little walk-through.

"Watching practice, I've noticed that Revis is the only guy, when he gets called for a penalty, who goes up to the officials and asks for an explanation. Instead of yelling and complaining, he wants to know why he got called. That tells me a lot about him.

"If you're grading practice, he'd get a 93, 94 maybe a 98. He never loses. He hates to lose. The really, really good ones -- the great ones, like Peyton Manning-- they have that mentality. If I had to pick a singular reason for New England winning the Super Bowl, it would be [Revis]. He allowed them to play a style of defense they hadn't played in 10 years. They're going to miss him."

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/52759/what-makes-darrelle-revis-great-lets-pull-back-the-curtain

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

Because he plays corner and should have a longer shelf life than 30.

I'm a person who is perfectly fine with agreeing to disagree. And on this, we disagree.

I strongly dislike Darrelle Revis.  He's a turd.  

Who says he should have a longer shelf life?  Especially comparing a corner to a defensive lineman.  One who was injured as much as Klecko was.

I get it you just don't like him.  Like the Marshall thread. 

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

Did you get a ribbon or the trophy for the owning, if not, it didnt happen. 

Revis had a good year.  A very good year.  The best year ever for a corner.  And he owes it all to Rex Ryan. 

Then there this bit of nonsense. 

The dumb he had one year argument. The even dumber he owes it all to Rex post.

My god this is the dumbest fanbase in the league.  Draft a HOF player and then rip him to shreds to make your old time favorite look better.  Kind of like if someone said Klecko was nothing without the Sack Exchange or Gas on the other end.  

10 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Keep making sh*t up.  You have no idea what you're talking about.  Here's what Mike Westhoff said:

"I've been around some great players, including [Dan] Marino, and I can say that Revis works as hard in practice as any player I've ever seen. He wants to win on every play. I remember when Rex [Ryan] used to have the defensive walk-through. Rex played quarterback and he'd throw his passes. Revis wouldn't let Rex complete any passes even in his little walk-through.

"Watching practice, I've noticed that Revis is the only guy, when he gets called for a penalty, who goes up to the officials and asks for an explanation. Instead of yelling and complaining, he wants to know why he got called. That tells me a lot about him.

"If you're grading practice, he'd get a 93, 94 maybe a 98. He never loses. He hates to lose. The really, really good ones -- the great ones, like Peyton Manning-- they have that mentality. If I had to pick a singular reason for New England winning the Super Bowl, it would be [Revis]. He allowed them to play a style of defense they hadn't played in 10 years. They're going to miss him."

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/52759/what-makes-darrelle-revis-great-lets-pull-back-the-curtain

Fat and lazy.  Gives up on the playing field. 

7 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Bullsh*t.  Darrelle Revis was a superior physical specimen.

Too Rex Ryan? Agreed.  Rex was really fat even after the surgery.  I think Revis could have probably run a faster 40.

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Who says he should have a longer shelf life?  Especially comparing a corner to a defensive lineman.  One who was injured as much as Klecko was.

I get it you just don't like him.  Like the Marshall thread. 

I say so.

And yes, I tend to not like selfish lazy players who quit on their team. 

To me, this is a non-argument. Revis didn't even have 1-2 good seasons. He had 1-2 good games, and then Rex built him up as this lockdown threat that he wasn't. So nobody threw at him. Revis didn't suddenly "get old" either, the Bills in 2015 week 17 had NO OTHER OPTIONS but to throw at him, so they did. And they realized that he was nothing but a guy with a over-rated reputation, the league saw it, and did the same in 2016.

The legacy of Revis is that he parlayed a couple of good games, and the bloviating used-car salesman schtick of Rex into MILLIONS of dollars from our dumb sh*t owner, Woody.

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

My god this is the dumbest fanbase in the league.  Draft a HOF player and then rip him to shreds to make your old time favorite look better.  Kind of like if someone said Klecko was nothing without the Sack Exchange or Gas on the other end.  

Dont generalize my dumbness with the rest of the fanbase.  That's not fair to our great fans.

But yes, 1 great year and a bunch of meh after.  He can thank Rex for that. 

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Klecko was a product of the talent around him. Neither of these players are as good as the lore that our desperate fan base carries forward about them.

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

To me, this is a non-argument. Revis didn't even have 1-2 good seasons. He had 1-2 good games, and then Rex built him up as this lockdown threat that he wasn't. So nobody threw at him. Revis didn't suddenly "get old" either, the Bills in 2015 week 17 had NO OTHER OPTIONS but to throw at him, so they did. And they realized that he was nothing but a guy with a over-rated reputation, the league saw it, and did the same in 2016.

The legacy of Revis is that he parlayed a couple of good games, and the bloviating used-car salesman schtick of Rex into MILLIONS of dollars from our dumb sh*t owner, Woody.

LOL.  1 or 2 games.  

WTF

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Klecko was a product of the talent around him. Neither of these players are as good as the lore that our desperate fan base carries forward about them.

Sorry, wrong on both fronts.  

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

giphy.gif

Just now, Jet Nut said:

LOL.  1 or 2 games.  

WTF

Go back and look at the targets. QBs didn't even look his way - like it was part of the game plan not to consider throwing his way. That's not "playing great", that's a reputation getting into the heads of the opposing coaching staff. It's gutless on their part, and we benefited from it, but it's not "great play". 

We saw Revis with high volume targets last year, and he was horrid. Not because his wrist, or age, but because he didn't have opposing OC's gameplanning to just not bother throwing his way. Age doesn't make you drop from top 3 in the league to one of the worst, being tested for the first time in years does. He was a product of Rex psyching out the other coach. 

Probably the smarted thing Rex ever did.

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Go back and look at the targets. QBs didn't even look his way - like it was part of the game plan not to consider throwing his way. That's not "playing great", that's a reputation getting into the heads of the opposing coaching staff. It's gutless on their part, and we benefited from it, but it's not "great play". 

We saw Revis with high volume targets last year, and he was horrid. Not because his wrist, or age, but because he didn't have opposing OC's gameplanning to just not bother throwing his way. Age doesn't make you drop from top 3 in the league to one of the worst, being tested for the first time in years does. He was a product of Rex psyching out the other coach. 

I really hope this is another one of your awful attempts at humor.

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

You're right. The entire league, filled with coaches who sleep 3 hours a night in their offices because they live and breathe the sport watching hours upon hours of film was bamboozled by Rex Ryan into thinking he was good. He actually sucked, teams just saw him play well against Andre Johnson in 2009 Week 1 and decided to not throw his way for the next 7 years. Wide Receivers were getting wide open but the QB just shook his said and said "no fam, that's Revis island. Rex Ryan said he was good."

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

You're right. The entire league, filled with coaches who sleep 3 hours a night in their offices because they live and breathe the sport watching hours upon hours of film was bamboozled by Rex Ryan into thinking he was good. He actually sucked, teams just saw him play well against Andre Johnson in 2009 Week 1 and decided to not throw his way for the next 7 years. Wide Receivers were getting wide open but the QB just shook his said and said "no fam, that's Revis island. Rex Ryan said he was good."

This honestly might be the stupidest post in the history of the board.

You've accepted the narrative as it has been fed to you. It's okay. Most common folk do.

I am a Free Mason AND have a masters degree in being smarter than common folks. Trust me when I tell you - things are not as they seem.

15 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Slow Clap for the impressive trolling, and getting nibbles to boot!

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

They did throw at him. 

Revis had a very rare mix of both quality and quantity. He led the league in Adjusted Yards per Pass and Success Rate, which is impressive enough by itself, but what was more impressive is that he still drew the sixth-highest target rate of any defensive back in the league.

That is 2009.  His best, possibly the best season. 

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Nobody is saying he wasn't good that year. I'm talking about the years that followed... a product of reputation. Couple excellent games, then the rest was Rex the carnival barker vs. a league full of coaches who only sleep 3 hours a night, and suck at their jobs regardless.

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

How many more superbowl trophies you guys think Revis will win with his next couple teams?

Reports are he's coming back to the Patriots, to play safety. Apparently he was working at safety the whole time he played for them. Some guy called the Boston radio and said that his buddy is a body guard for Revis, and that Revis dogged it last year so that he'd get his release to come back to the Pats. 

Similar to what Legarette Blount did with the Steelers.

Also said it wasn't Revis that knocked those guys out, but some guy that doesn't usually work on Revis's detail - but was basically like a stand-in because the normal guy had flu.

Sounded legit.

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Reports are he's coming back to the Patriots, to play safety. Apparently he was working at safety the whole time he played for them. Some guy called the Boston radio and said that his buddy is a body guard for Revis, and that Revis dogged it last year so that he'd get his release to come back to the Pats. 

Also said it wasn't Revis that knocked those guys out, but some guy that doesn't usually work on Revis's detail - but was basically like a stand-in because the normal guy had flu.

Sounded legit.

So we can deduct from the #6 million we owe him anything the Pats pay him?  

Since when does Belichick do us any favors?  But if true, thanks Belichick!  Good luck with Revis at Safety.  You will need it.

7 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Sounded legit.

Really??  tell me this is a joke.

Archived