Safety's that can't cover or get injured -- why are we using the 6 pick on that?

thadude

I get it is a need because Gilchrist is a JAG and Pryor totally sucks but how inept is this franchise that we are blowing a top 6 pick at this position?

Jabril Peppers and Obi Melofonwu will be available in round 2. If Macc hasn't already signed his own pink slip he will be tommorow night with this garbage 

I will be SOOOO pissed if we draft a defensive back at 6. The truth is that better offense will improve the pass defense more than drafting a defensive player at 6.

I am OK with Howard, McCaffrey or even Mahomes if we are sold on him

I really really want us to trade down though

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

I will be SOOOO pissed if we draft a defensive back at 6. The truth is that better offense will improve the pass defense more than drafting a defensive player at 6.

I am OK with Howard, McCaffrey or even Mahomes if we are sold on him

I really really want us to trade down though

Yeah Y'know what helps the defense? THE OFFENSE STAYING ON THE FIELD

21 minutes ago, thadude said:

I get it is a need because Gilchrist is a JAG and Pryor totally sucks but how inept is this franchise that we are blowing a top 6 pick at this position?

Jabril Peppers and Obi Melofonwu will be available in round 2. If Macc hasn't already signed his own pink slip he will be tommorow night with this garbage 

seeing as how you are apparently  int the draft room, what  does the rest of their draft board look like?

I have to disagree. In my opinion, the safety position is one of the more important positions today, especially in today's NFL. As far as who I like, I think Adams will be one of the best players to come out of this draft. 

I am all in on trading down if he's not there at 6. 

there are like a million good safeties in this draft, it's true.

10 in my top 100 and that's probably too many but even left out Evans from A&M could have been 11

S    Jamal Adams    LSU
S    Malik Hooker    Ohio State
S    Jabril Peppers    Michigan
S    Budda Baker    Washington
S    Obi Melifonwu    Connecticut
S    Marcus Williams    Utah
S    Josh Jones    North Carolina State
S    Desmond King    Iowa
S    Marcus Maye    Florida
S    John Johnson    Boston College

for the record, Adams should be off the board but Hooker is a perfect fit at a position of dire need. The safe play would be to predict Hooker at 6. 

But my gut says offense needs the pick. Fournette, Howard or a QB either Watson or Mahomes all help this team more than a defensive back.  

Mike Maccagnan has only been general manager for two years, but he's starting a full rebuild with the New York Jets. There is no team with weaker starters heading into the draft than the Jets, who after years still haven't figured out how to move defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson.

Maccagnan has four picks in the top 107, so New York fans should focus on how he's spent picks of that caliber. He's had seven at-bats with selections that high, and he's spent three on linebackers: Lorenzo Mauldin, Darron Lee and Jordan Jenkins. He's also spent two on quarterbacks: Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg.

For a team that may need a pass-rusher and quarterback more than any other team in the NFL, that's not a positive sign. Overall, the team has made 13 picks in the draft under Maccagnan, and only two—a seventh-round defensive tackle from Northwestern State and a seventh-round punter from Sam Houston State—have come from non-Power Five programs.

The team acquired five players—DeVier Posey, Brandon Marshall, Zac Stacy, Ryan Clady and Ryan Fitzpatrick—with picks Maccagnan traded that were slated for the 2015 and 2016 drafts. None of them are on the team anymore.

Brands and trades are the leans, with an emphasis on the Jets again drafting a quarterback and linebacker early.

giphy.gif

12 hours ago, bitonti said:

10 in my top 100 and that's probably too many but even left out Evans from A&M could have been 11

S    Jamal Adams    LSU

for the record, Adams should be off the board but Hooker is a perfect fit at a position of dire need. The safe play would be to predict Hooker at 6. 

But my gut says offense needs the pick. Fournette, Howard or a QB either Watson or Mahomes all help this team more than a defensive back.  

I guarantee whatever Safety we draft at friggin 6 overall will be a f'n JAG

12 hours ago, bitonti said:

S    Jamal Adams    LSU

Bit....curious, what do you think of Tedric Thompson of Colorado? Guy seems like a ball hawking FS that we could get later. Also, where do you project Johnson from BC going? 

37 minutes ago, thadude said:

I guarantee whatever Safety we draft at friggin 6 overall will be a f'n JAG

Why? Because you've looked over the players extensively and know what you're talking about? Or because you like to complain about things that you have little knowledge or expertise in?

13 hours ago, Ghost said:

I have to disagree. In my opinion, the safety position is one of the more important positions today, especially in today's NFL. As far as who I like, I think Adams will be one of the best players to come out of this draft. 

I am all in on trading down if he's not there at 6. 

Defense is overvalued by the Jets.The rules demand you pass effectively; spare brief spasms of ok-ness with 15 games of Fitzerception, Testaverde, O'Brien and  Pennington, the Jets have been AWFUL passing since Namath left. It get more pronounced every year. The rule beg you to pass and tie the hands of defenders, and we hire defense first imbecile coaches who pretend they can win games 10-7.   

Would be fine with a skill offense player or a QB or some OL help. Simply you can get defensive talent later in the draft, offense tends to disappear. Also our HC is supposedly a brilliant defensive tactician; does he need MORE defensive talent? Is The Big Idea a  3 and out O  forever? ? By the way; objectively our 3 and out offense has lost it's opening day 2016 top WR, Pro Bowl Center and starting QB. Grant you the last 2 guys are on the downside, but still, this team continues to pretend defense wins. Even the best defenses fail every game several times. But if you can pass and score points, you can live with that. 

If they take a DB, really, WHAT THE FU...

13 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Mike Maccagnan has only been general manager for two years, but he's starting a full rebuild with the New York Jets. There is no team with weaker starters heading into the draft than the Jets, who after years still haven't figured out how to move defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson.

Maccagnan has four picks in the top 107, so New York fans should focus on how he's spent picks of that caliber. He's had seven at-bats with selections that high, and he's spent three on linebackers: Lorenzo Mauldin, Darron Lee and Jordan Jenkins. He's also spent two on quarterbacks: Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg.

For a team that may need a pass-rusher and quarterback more than any other team in the NFL, that's not a positive sign. Overall, the team has made 13 picks in the draft under Maccagnan, and only two—a seventh-round defensive tackle from Northwestern State and a seventh-round punter from Sam Houston State—have come from non-Power Five programs.

The team acquired five players—DeVier Posey, Brandon Marshall, Zac Stacy, Ryan Clady and Ryan Fitzpatrick—with picks Maccagnan traded that were slated for the 2015 and 2016 drafts. None of them are on the team anymore.

Brands and trades are the leans, with an emphasis on the Jets again drafting a quarterback and linebacker early.

giphy.gif

Executive of the year, baby!!!!

13 hours ago, Matt39 said:

giphy.gif

So despite 3 top picks used on the DL the last few years and an undersized OLB last year, we still do not have a pass rush;  yes, draft more defense. The Jets and the draft are like Mr, Magoo going to the supermarket and forgetting to get bread, milk and eggs every freaking time. 

2 minutes ago, Bugg said:

So despite 3 top picks used on the DL the last few years and an undersized OLB last year, we still do not have a pass rush;  yes, draft more defense. The Jets and the draft are like Mr, Magoo going to the supermarket and forgetting to get bread, milk and eggs every freaking time. 

Just wait till Jonathan Allen is picked.  It's going to be groovy. 

Archived