Jets add Rookie Receiver KD Cannon Following 49ers Release

JetNation

KD-Cannon.jpg

By Glenn Naughton

Depending on your perspective, the Jets may have fallen in to a bit of good fortune yesterday when they claimed rookie wide receiver KD Cannon off of waivers from the San Francisco 49ers.

After a productive career at Baylor that saw Cannon haul in 195 passes for  3,113 yards and 27 touchdowns, he went undrafted despite the projections of many experts who had him pegged as a mid-to-late round pick.  Following the draft, Cannon was viewed as one of the top undrafted free agents on the market, and it appeared the 49ers shared that opinion.

The team handed Cannon $45,000 to come to the bay area.  A mere pittance to an NFL franchise, but a fairly large bonus for an undrafted free agent.

However, Cannon didn’t make it through his second practice with the 49ers who reportedly let him go due a lack of effort as Cannon wasn’t finishing his routes.  For a player who was undrafted, you may have expected Cannon to come in to camp with a chip on his shoulder and a desire to prove the doubters wrong, but apparently that wasn’t the case.  The fact that the 49ers viewed him as the complete opposite makes you wonder if effort was an issue at Baylor, perhaps contributing to him going undrafted.

No matter how you look at it, it’s a low-risk/high-reward scenario for the Jets who get a productive receiver who ran a 4.41 at the combine and has some experience with Jets quarterback Bryce Petty as the two teamed up in Petty’s final season at Baylor when Cannon caught 58 passes for 1,030 yards and 12 scores.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
bUNVzaui8kA

Click here to read the full story...

they made him an example and set a tone...I love it. Hopefully he learns from that that life in the NFL for an undrafted rookie is tenuous and he better act like its important or he may find himself on a third team....WR is an area we can afford to cut a player if his attitude is wrong. We got "spares" there on his same talent level. 

I wanted them to draft Cannon. Then I wanted them to sign him as an UDFA.

Totally worth a shot. Niners made an example of him, which is fine. But that doesn't mean he won't be able to break through in the NFL. 

Great pick up. He has a ton of talent, but is also a little nutty. The whole Art Briles mess and QB issues effected his play. Then again he still managed 13 Tds. He is a perfect practice squad player that, if he gets his head on straight and is willing to work on route running, could evolve into a playmaker. 

He also played with Petty a couple of years ago and was great for a freshman.  So maybe having Petty around will help him out. 

With all the WR's we brought in I wonder if Morton is going to make Enunwa more of a hybrid and 
line him up all over the place (FB, TE, WR) to create mismatches

He looks just as fast as he timed at the combine on the field. If Morton can get inside his head and we could make him our deep threat he looks like he could be a good weopon. He also looks good on a quick pass and gains yards after the catch.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, F.Chowds said:

the guy ran a 4.41 40 and has a 37 inch vertical. That was top 5 in both categories for WR at the combine. Very gifted athlete hopefully we can find a way to get his head screwed on right. 

See Jalin Marshall. Wave goodbye to Jalin Marshall.

Archived