Eric Decker, David Harris provide calm amid Jets' turbulent offseason

Gas2No99

Eric Decker, David Harris provide calm amid Jets' turbulent offseason

So much of the offseason narrative has focused on the departed, the high-profile guys that were sent away by the New York JetsNick MangoldBrandon MarshallDarrelle Revis and now Calvin Pryor.

The ever-spinning revolving door has overshadowed those still inside the building, including two important veterans: Eric Decker and David Harris.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2017%2F0601%2Fr214725_1

Eric Decker is veteran presence for a young Jets receiving corps. Ed Mulholland/USA TODAY Sports

Amid the upheaval, they've been calming influences in Todd Bowles' locker room, which, in case you missed last season, could use some calm. Decker and Harris aren't vocal leaders, just quiet, hard-working professionals with a combined 17 years of NFL experience. That matters; it matters a lot on a young, rebuilding team.

They're among the older players on the team, and it's no surprise they're members of the leadership committee -- a small group that serves as a conduit between the team and Bowles.

By dumping the likes of Marshall, Revis and Pryor, the Jets have shown their commitment to a culture change. Subtraction is an important part of changing the locker-room dynamic, but it's not the only formula. You need some stability, and that's where Decker and Harris play key roles. Matt Forte falls into that category as well, but he's been on the scene for only a year.

Harris, 33, the longest-tenured Jet and the second-oldest on the team (Josh McCownis 37), is one of only two holdovers from the last playoff team in 2010. (The other is long snapper Tanner Purdum.) Harris may have lost a step or two after 10 years in the NFL trenches, but he's an invaluable member of the defense. "The glue," as Bowles likes to call him.

Without that glue, the defense would splinter. Harris is the only true middle linebacker on the team, and his experience is vital with so many young players on defense. Unlike Marshall, he didn't request his release and run away from what could be a painful rebuilding season. He decided to stick it out even though some of his old friends are gone, mainly Revis and Mangold.

"It was weird not seeing their names on the lockers in the locker room," he said. "It's the harsh reality we live in in this sport."

Decker, 30, doesn't play a leadership-type position like quarterback or middle linebacker, but he's a no-ego professional who can be a role model for all the young pups at receiver, including rookies ArDarius Stewart and Chad Hansen.

And, by the way, he can still produce. Several months removed from shoulder and hip surgeries, Decker has impressed in OTA practices. He returned well ahead of schedule. As you may recall, the Jets weren't sure last fall if he'd make it back for the start of the season. That should tell you something about his dedication. He might not be a true No. 1 receiver, but he's still their No. 1.

The Jets would be smart to keep him around. Harris, too.

31 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Sorry, but a 33 year old LBer who can run or cover anymore and would cost absolutely nothing to cut while creating almost 6 mil in cap space is a luxury for a rebuilding team .

I look at it like this.

1.  Go over the list of expected starters.  

2.  Check off anyone who is: lazy, a dumbass, inexperienced, new, or who sucks.

3.  Who is left unchecked?

On defense, there is only one, and it's 52.  Maybe Enunwa and Powell on offense too.

But Harris definitely isn't a luxury.  He's needed more than ever.

7 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

I look at it like this.

1.  Go over the list of expected starters.  

2.  Check off anyone who is: lazy, a dumbass, inexperienced, new, or who sucks.

3.  Who is left unchecked?

On defense, there is only one, and it's 52.  Maybe Enunwa and Powell on offense too.

But Harris definitely isn't a luxury.  He's needed more than ever.

David Harris should play the Josh McCown role at LB, mentor/break glass in case of emergency.

5 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

David Harris should play the Josh McCown role at LB, mentor/break glass in case of emergency.

Josh McCown still has the ability to make plays, while David Harris might know what's going on, but his 33 year old NFL body can't make the plays anymore .  Maybe I'm wrong but I doubt it . 

1 minute ago, Tinstar said:

Josh McCown still has the ability to make plays, while David Harris might know what's going on, but his 33 year old NFL body can't make the plays anymore .  Maybe I'm wrong but I doubt it . 

2-22 in last 24 starts = Playmaker?

2 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I'd be OK with him transitioning to that role this year.  As much as Harris kicks ass, gotta hang em up at some point.

I just don't like equating Harris to McCown.  McCown specializes in losing and getting his team top draft picks...  an invaluable skill for sure.  But not what Harris is about.  

52 is about hitting people, being a leader and not causing any problems.  A rarity in today's NFL.

16 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

2-22 in last 24 starts = Playmaker?

I didn't say he was a playmaker, I said he can make plays still . There's nothing wrong with McCown's arm  and he's still very mobile . 

18 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I didn't say he was a playmaker, I said he can make plays still . There's nothing wrong with McCown's arm  and he's still very mobile . 

Chad Pennington's arm is shot, and he is completely immobile, but I'm pretty sure he could go 2-22 in today's NFL still if not better.

6 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Chad Pennington's arm is shot, and he is completely immobile, but I'm pretty sure he could go 2-22 in today's NFL still if not better.

So you're saying the reason the Browns won only 1 game last year was because of McCown  and his teammates had absolutely nothing to do with it .

Just now, Tinstar said:

So you're saying the reason the Browns won only 1 game last year was because of McCown  and his teammates had absolutely nothing to do with it .

You make it sound as though getting 1 win and the #1 draft pick is a bad thing.  

It's widely known Macc overpaid by millions for McCown's services.  My guess is because Macc is asking McCown to guarantee a top draft pick while also helping the team develop.  A tough job, but one I believe he's qualified for.

6 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

No I'm saying Chad could have done the same thing.

14 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Neither will be a Jet in 2018.

Exactly. We have the cap space so no harm to keep a quiet leader like Harris. I would cut him but I'm not Bowles who's head is close to the chopping block. I still think the Jets surprise next year. A lot of you guys way overrate other teams in this league. So many teams have weaknesses. 

Jets lost NOTHING getting rid of Revis, Mangold, Pryor. Marshall was a loss but he also mailed it in last year, he was not the 2015 Marshall! Losing Decker was HUGE, his versatility really opens up the field for everyone else, just go back & look at the game vs Buffalo in Buffalo. Enunwa is looking for a breakout season, the Oline hopefully starts the season healthy.

The backend speed adding Adams & Maye will take some time to gel but I still think with Lee & Jenkins coming into their 2nd year somebody will shine because of their comfort level. Let's just say the holes in that secondary are gonna close WAY FASTER than they did last year. We have a lot of young guys now who can get better quickly, Leo, Burris, Lee, Jenkins, Adams, Maye. I'm looking forward to it.

im sure when Seattle rebuilt it took a couple of years for those young guys to gel. Can't wait!

19 hours ago, JiF said:

Eric Decker is an outspoken, selfish, dbag, diva that nobody likes and cant stay healthy.  David Harris doesnt speak and is a complete liability in every aspect of the game. 

WTF is this guy talking about?

Right on the money. Let this prick be a "leader" on some other team.

Eric Decker is an outspoken, selfish, dbag, diva that nobody likes and cant stay healthy.  David Harris doesnt speak and is a complete liability in every aspect of the game.  WTF is this guy talking about?

... ???? ... do you do anything but play Madden ? Decker is a class act that catches everything thrown his way. Harriss has been the most solid/reliable Jet defender of the past decade.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Hopefully Decker produces and can be dealt for a pick to a contender at the deadline. If not well he will be gone after this season so keeping him could actually help especially if Hack or Petty is the starter. Its hard to say. He looks good in OTA's but until he see's 2 a days and plays in game action we just don't know if he is completely healthy.

35 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Hopefully Decker produces and can be dealt for a pick to a contender at the deadline. If not well he will be gone after this season so keeping him could actually help especially if Hack or Petty is the starter. Its hard to say. He looks good in OTA's but until he see's 2 a days and plays in game action we just don't know if he is completely healthy.

we still have those?

Alright here's my 2 cents. I LOVE Harris - prob one of my favorite players on team, and i can see him going to the NY Giants (would fit perfectly there with their culture and defense), I understand the move though, he's getting old, the Jets are going in the young direction, he has def lost a step or 2, I get it. They are in absolute complete rebuild mode and he just doesn't fit that. I don't like it but I understand it.

As for Decker, he's only good with a true WR1 opposite him, you take away that and he is average at best. He is a WR2 at best, he does not bode well against top cornerbacks in the league, he does his best work when facing teams' 2nd/3rd/4th CBs, He is not physical.... i would even go to the length of calling him soft as far as when he meets a physical cornerback head on. I'm not really mad about the release - he's going to get released - no team is going to trade for him knowing he's going to get released and they can get him for free so to speak. I dunno why the jets said release or trade - killed any value he had. I liked what he did on the Jets, but like i said, he needs a team with a sure WR1, he cannot be the top guy. 

Archived