Jets need to stop wasting time with Josh McCown,Christian Hackenberg needs the ball

joewilly12

9 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

They look at Petty as the number 2 unless he totally shocks everyone.  

You dont understand what I mean about instant gratification after reading the onslaught of posts ripping the team for not playing Hack last year, for not giving him 1st snaps at the opening of camp, of not being named the starter today?  And then not understanding the idea of developing a QB the old fashioned, tried and true method from day one of having a rookie QB sit behind a vet an learning?  Seriously?  

Do me a favor.  Save the "Seriously?" sh*t when you are the guy that wants to give everyone the benefit of the doubt.  

You know that they look at Petty as the number 2 how?  Based on what they have done with him this camp?  Well, based on what they've done with Hackenberg, they think he sucks.  Plain and simple, yet one guy is "being developed" while the other is relegated to backup duty despite being obviously in front of Hackenberg all last year.  

There are reasons that Hackenberg may have passed Petty this offseason that go beyond them only looking at Petty as a #2.  Hackenberg has more experience with this type of offense and Petty may be slower to pick it up.  Considering your willingness to give Hackenberg a mulligan for 2016, I'm not sure why you'd be crucifying Petty for being behind at this point in camp.  

They may only look at Petty as a backup, but you are basing that on what has happened in camp, then Yay!  McCown!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the most duh, article ever.  Of course they should play Hack or Petty and never let McCown see the field.  This is no different than past 2 years when Fitz should have never seen the field and the kids should have been taking the snaps.  But Bowles is stubborn old school moron who rather lose 10 games with a vet than lose 11 with a kid and he's going to roll the vet out there because he's the vet and Bowles sucks the tit of every vet that is on his roster.  

I don't care if Hackenberg turns out to be the worst QB in the history of the NFL, on a team that's in complete rebuild mode, he needs to be the starter from day one.  He had a full year on the sidelines plus will have another training camp and preseason to "get ready" and "learn."  Can he possibly be that bad that he literally can't be trusted to start even one game???? If this is true, then Mac needs to be fired immediately for making one of the worst picks in the history of the draft.  Let him earn his stripes during the season, and if he crashes and burns, let McCown come in to clean up the mess at that point. It serves the Jets agenda no matter what the outcome is.  If Hackenberg is legit, now we know.  If he's putrid, the Jets will be well on their way to earning a top draft pick in 2018.    

I don't care if Hackenberg turns out to be the worst QB in the history of the NFL, on a team that's in complete rebuild mode, he needs to be the starter from day one.  He had a full year on the sidelines plus will have another training camp and preseason to "get ready" and "learn."  Can he possibly be that bad that he literally can't be trusted to start even one game???? If this is true, then Mac needs to be fired immediately for making one of the worst picks in the history of the draft.  Let him earn his stripes during the season, and if he crashes and burns, let McCown come in to clean up the mess at that point. It serves the Jets agenda no matter what the outcome is.  If Hackenberg is legit, now we know.  If he's putrid, the Jets will be well on their way to earning a top draft pick in 2018.    

What he is learning this year is completely different than what he was learning last year. And what you stated is contradictory, one statement you made is that he needs to be the day one starter and later you wonder if he can't be trusted to start even one game. We all know he is going to start many games this year, the point is does it matter if he starts game 1 or game 3.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, Tinstar said:

And Gary Myers who probably can't even coach a little league knows better than Bowles and Morton and Bates how to develop a young QB who's shelled shocked .

"shell shocked?"  LMAO.  Playing McCown is a grand waste of time and does NOTHING for the growth and development of this team.  Just stupid. Myers is correct.  And he's not the only one to express this that is highly respected.  If Bowles plays McCown, he is doing all Jets fans a disservice for the long term while trying to eke out an extra win or two in the short term.

16 hours ago, rangerous said:

consider the source.  myers is maybe a half a step ahead of maneesh when it comes to being a credible reporter.  but as for his comments, yep.  there's no sense in starting mccown if hack can lead the team.  but that's what training camp is all about.  if hack can become the leader the team believes in then he should start.  and that will include demonstrating good on field decision making and play execution.  there's nothing mysterious here.  mccown is with the jets to make sure they will have a qb to start and maybe win a few games if hack (or petty) can't cut it.

Meyers is a complete moron who doesn't even watch the games, but it's hard to be wrong on this point.

All he does is read the headlines, and look at the pictures but it's very easy to see that the least talented team in the NFL does not need to start a 40 year old journeyman over the 2nd round pick we got last year. Especially when the best crop of QB prospects in years is coming out next year.

Even Gary Meyers can get all this information and surmise this from reading the headlines and looking at the pictures. 

Bowles can too if he's concerned about the franchise rather than his coaching statistics. 

1 hour ago, LionelRichie said:

This is total bs.  Revis basically took a full 16 game season off and Bowles was afraid to sit him.  

not to get off subject but despite the revis thievery last year we didnt have a better option to put out there. Bowles gets the blame for it but we didnt have a viable replacement. 

What he is learning this year is completely different than what he was learning last year. And what you stated is contradictory, one statement you made is that he needs to be the day one starter and later you wonder if he can't be trusted to start even one game. We all know he is going to start many games this year, the point is does it matter if he starts game 1 or game 3.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It does matter. If he's not "ready" for game 1, what do you think he can possibly learn in the small window of time between week 1 and whenever he does get to start? He's had one full year on the bench plus two training camps and preseasons. He's either ready to start or he isn't. This notion that having him sit on the bench for a few more weeks will somehow be beneficial to him is silly IMO. Throw him out there week 1 and let's see what we have. Experience is the best teacher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

The Jets just lost their starting LT to retirement on what was already a crappy O-line. Whoever plays QB for them this season, his goal should just be to make sure his head is still attached to his body after every game

You do know Clady was released like, back in March, right?

6 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

It does matter. If he's not "ready" for game 1, what do you think he can possibly learn in the small window of time between week 1 and whenever he does get to start? He's had one full year on the bench plus two training camps and preseasons. He's either ready to start or he isn't. This notion that having him sit on the bench for a few more weeks will somehow be beneficial to him is silly IMO. Throw him out there week 1 and let's see what we have. Experience is the best teacher.

normally I would agree with most of this statement....IF this was an already established offense,, with at least decent wr's and a halfway decent line...there are too many things that will need to gel before they look good at all...I'd rather he let the turnstyle line have a game or two together before then put the only hope we currently have on the roster behind it...and like I have said previously I haven no reason to believe this new OC wont need a few weeks to get the hang of play calling...the QB is not a stand alone position, everyone has to do their part. It's not what he will learn between week 1 and 3 its how the team will gel in those first few weeks...I know its not popular but mostly its not popular among the people who have been hating on hack from the get go so I already know where that is really coming from

normally I would agree with most of this statement....IF this was an already established offense,, with at least decent wr's and a halfway decent line...there are too many things that will need to gel before they look good at all...I'd rather he let the turnstyle line have a game or two together before then put the only hope we currently have on the roster behind it...and like I have said previously I haven no reason to believe this new OC wont need a few weeks to get the hang of play calling...the QB is not a stand alone position, everyone has to do their part. It's not what he will learn between week 1 and 3 its how the team will gel in those first few weeks...I know its not popular but mostly its not popular among the people who have been hating on hack from the get go so I already know where that is really coming from

Yes, the offense is young and inexperienced, so having a revolving door at QB might not be the best scenario for them. Why have them get used to McCown for a few weeks and then have them start over with Hackenberg a few weeks later? Let Hack start and let the whole offense gel as one unit, and hope they can keep it together for the whole year. I think that would be the best approach.

Gary Myers writes an article that supports a perspective a segment of the fan base favors and he's their new hero . Todd Bowles sits down with his position coaches and coordinators and makes a decision that a segment of the fan base doesn't agree with and it confirms that he's the moron they think he is .

Some time in the near future, Gary Myers will write an article that a segment of this fan base doesn't agree with and he's going to find himself wearing the same crown that has been bestowed upon Todd Bowles .

Gary Myers and the fan base of the Jets are allowed to watch scripted Jet practices  where they form opinions base on what they see, hear and read and he's a genius . Todd Bowles oversee all the Jet practices, meets with his coordinators and position coaches, then makes a decision base on what he saw and hears and he's a moron .

How many here would prefer to read from Gary Myers articles instead of the articles KRL provides ?  

18 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yet, Burris is supposed to start this year.  Viable option or tank job?

No, Burris is expected to compete for a starting position and will be given the Job if he shows his position coach what he wants to see .  Just like Every other position that's up for grabs on the roster . Nobody's taking Williams's spot, but as of right now, do we really know baring injury who's starting at the other 34 DE position come opening day ?  The 2 OG positions are probably set, but who's making up the rest of the OL come opening day . 

That's what's being determined on the practice field and in meetings after . It's why fans make bash statements and go to their jobs and why coaches make decisions get call names and lose their Jobs .

I don't know how Hackenberg can be successful with the lack of talent on offense.  Many here complained about Geno's lack of weapons and I think Hack is in the same situation.  Without a proven #1 receiver and a proven #2, to follow after, I don't see Enunwa being successful.  All opposing teams have to do is double team him.  Robby Anderson is way too skinny.  185 and that is after he put on weight.  Last year DBs pushed him around like a rag doll.  No way he is a #2 on any team.  Our RBs are pretty good.  OL TBD.  TE still a ?  So again, how can Hack be successful?  I say start McCown, lets see what kind of team we have (let the OL gel and the skill positions figure out how to work together) and then when McCown inevitably gets injured  (take your pick which week), you can bring in Hack.  Rushing Hack out there week 1 could get him killed both mentally and physically.

12 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

No, Burris is expected to compete for a starting position and will be given the Job if he shows his position coach what he wants to see .  Just like Every other position that's up for grabs on the roster . Nobody's taking Williams's spot, but as of right now, do we really know baring injury who's starting at the other 34 DE position come opening day ?  The 2 OG positions are probably set, but who's making up the rest of the OL come opening day . 

That's what's being determined on the practice field and in meetings after . It's why fans make bash statements and go to their jobs and why coaches make decisions get call names and lose their Jobs .

From what I hear Burris outplayed Claiborne in practice.  Claiborne stinks anyway

The Jets should give Hackenberg the majority of reps with the starters in camp and preseason and see if he sinks or swims.  Will he prove he can handle the responsibility of leading an NFL offense or will he look lost out there?  This is the time to find out.

If Hackenberg is clearly not ready by the season opener, you fall back to McCown, who is a long tenured veteran with a proven track record of stepping in at a moment's notice.  He doesn't need the reps.

Just now, jetspenguin said:

that doesnt say he is starting.it says in the 1st 4 days of training camp he is getting reps with the starters...good for him but that doeant make him a starter yet....and it damn sure didnt make him one last year.  

Look, I don't give a sh*t, but you said they didn't have a viable option?  Plenty of people have suggested that Burris was going to play an outside spot with Skrine in the slot and the Defensive Coordinator specifically said he made a mistake not giving him more run last year.  Cause he was playing a guy they planned to cut.  

41 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Yes, the offense is young and inexperienced, so having a revolving door at QB might not be the best scenario for them. Why have them get used to McCown for a few weeks and then have them start over with Hackenberg a few weeks later? Let Hack start and let the whole offense gel as one unit, and hope they can keep it together for the whole year. I think that would be the best approach.

fair enough...and he might wind up starting anyway...I'm not totally against it, I'd just need to see a lot more before I'd be 100% behind it

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Look, I don't give a sh*t, but you said they didn't have a viable option?  Plenty of people have suggested that Burris was going to play an outside spot with Skrine in the slot and the Defensive Coordinator specifically said he made a mistake not giving him more run last year.  Cause he was playing a guy they planned to cut.  

Actually what I said was we didn't have a BETTER option not a viable option and last year he wasnt a better option. I'm not calling the kid a bum, I'm just saying his play will probably be alot better than last year and I think even if he was out there we would have been burned just as much as we were. 

and I dont give a shyt what plenty of people suggest, since he hasnt started its all speculation.

1 minute ago, jetspenguin said:

Actually what I said was we didn't have a BETTER option not a viable option and last year he wasnt a better option. I'm not calling the kid a bum, I'm just saying his play will probably be alot better than last year and I think even if he was out there we would have been burned just as much as we were. 

and I dont give a shyt what plenty of people suggest, since he hasnt started its all speculation.

Why is someone else's speculation better than mine?

8 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

The Jets should give Hackenberg the majority of reps with the starters in camp and preseason and see if he sinks or swims.  Will he prove he can handle the responsibility of leading an NFL offense or will he look lost out there?  This is the time to find out.

If Hackenberg is clearly not ready by the season opener, you fall back to McCown, who is a long tenured veteran with a proven track record of stepping in at a moment's notice.  He doesn't need the reps.

Exactly.   

I actually think that Bowles is giving macc a big FU because macc cut Harris and decker and didn't spend $.  

Just now, jetspenguin said:

are you now saying that burress starting this year and him being a better option last year is only speculation on your part? 

Mine vs yours.  The coach started a guy they planned to cut during a lost season.  Nobody thought they were keeping Revis, Fitzpatrick, Marshall, Giacomini, etc, yet these guys were still getting run long after the season was over.  The were 1-5 and elected to go to their expiring contract QB rather than either of the guys they were "developing."  They paid $5M to start expiring contract Breno Giacomini over Shell from 2-5 through 3-9 before they shut Breno down.  Revis started the entire season despite being injured/sucking the whole year.  

The better option is always the guy that can help you win a championship.  When you are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, guys on expiring contracts you don't want back are unlikely to help your title chances. Will Burris, Shell, Hackenberg, Petty or the young WRs help them win a championship?  I don't know, but I know Breno and Geno weren't going to.  

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Mine vs yours.  The coach started a guy they planned to cut during a lost season.  Nobody thought they were keeping Revis, Fitzpatrick, Marshall, Giacomini, etc, yet these guys were still getting run long after the season was over.  The were 1-5 and elected to go to their expiring contract QB rather than either of the guys they were "developing."  They paid $5M to start expiring contract Breno Giacomini over Shell from 2-5 through 3-9 before they shut Breno down.  Revis started the entire season despite being injured/sucking the whole year.  

The better option is always the guy that can help you win a championship.  When you are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, guys on expiring contracts you don't want back are unlikely to help your title chances. Will Burris, Shell, Hackenberg, Petty or the young WRs help them win a championship?  I don't know, but I know Breno and Geno weren't going to.  

while not disputing any of what you are saying we are WAY off topic and the point about Breno or Geno or Petty or Hack or Shell have nothing to do with my original point which was Revis was starting because we didnt have a better option at CB. Benching him would have not helped us at all..it became clear to me and many others I assume early on that this wasnt a championship season but never will a coach put out there a perceived "lesser" player when last year was not designated as a development season. Even when we were towards the end when we could have benched a lot of guys mailing it in we didnt. Marshall would be included in that group but we didnt because we just didnt have a better option. While we sucked big ass donkey balls last year we still had to at least try to appear that we wanted to win the game. 

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Do me a favor.  Save the "Seriously?" sh*t when you are the guy that wants to give everyone the benefit of the doubt.  

You know that they look at Petty as the number 2 how?  Based on what they have done with him this camp?  Well, based on what they've done with Hackenberg, they think he sucks.  Plain and simple, yet one guy is "being developed" while the other is relegated to backup duty despite being obviously in front of Hackenberg all last year.  

There are reasons that Hackenberg may have passed Petty this offseason that go beyond them only looking at Petty as a #2.  Hackenberg has more experience with this type of offense and Petty may be slower to pick it up.  Considering your willingness to give Hackenberg a mulligan for 2016, I'm not sure why you'd be crucifying Petty for being behind at this point in camp.  

They may only look at Petty as a backup, but you are basing that on what has happened in camp, then Yay!  McCown!

Based on what they've done with Hack you've come to the conclusion they think he suck?  Seriously?  They protected him and put him aside for a season so they could give him time and effort to develop, that tells you in your estimation that they think he sucks.  Thats logical.  And then announcing that he will compete for the starting job just friggen nailed that bit of insight for you.  Youre amazing.  

Petty has always been looked on as a backup at best, from everyone, everywhere.  

Give Hack a mulligan?  The plan was with 4 QBs on the roster he would sit and learn.  They followed through on that.  Not a mulligan.  He didnt fail, he followed their plan and did his work.  You've said he sucks and wont give up trying to prove yourself right, i get it.  Thats why after reading a full week of reports, all claiming Hack looks so much better this year, that hes clearly outplayed McCown up to now you would say Yay! McCown.  Seriously?  Reeks of Fitz, another home run for the QB gurus here.  

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Based on what they've done with Hack you've come to the conclusion they think he suck?  Seriously?  They protected him and put him aside for a season so they could give him time and effort to develop, that tells you in your estimation that they think he sucks.  Thats logical.  And then announcing that he will compete for the starting job just friggen nailed that bit of insight for you.  Youre amazing.  

Petty has always been looked on as a backup at best, from everyone, everywhere.  

Give Hack a mulligan?  The plan was with 4 QBs on the roster he would sit and learn.  They followed through on that.  Not a mulligan.  He didnt fail, he followed their plan and did his work.  You've said he sucks and wont give up trying to prove yourself right, i get it.  Thats why after reading a full week of reports, all claiming Hack looks so much better this year, that hes clearly outplayed McCown up to now you would say Yay! McCown.  Seriously?  Reeks of Fitz, another home run for the QB gurus here.  

Seriously?

You don't protect players.  You play them.  

Archived