How the Jets really feel about Christian Hackenberg: A behind-the-scenes look at their plan

Gas2No99

We can go over the Hack pick day after day week after week but wont have any real answers till he gets on the field and the ammo is live.

My gut feeling is he flunks. Miserably. Of course I hope I am wrong but to date all the evidence and franchise history tell me so.

What bothers me most about all this is the GM and the fact that as an unproven exec new to the job with zero success cushion / political capital however you wish to describe it, was fool enough to make a pick like this and not realize he was tying his rep to overdrafting a player that had 4th - 5th round written all over him. Was he that cocky or just plain stupid to make the pick?  This is the kind of risky move an established top 10 GM can survive saying "hey we took a risk, it didnt work."  Ultimately I think this is what punches McCaggs ticket out of NY.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

We can go over the Hack pick day after day week after week but wont have any real answers till he gets on the field and the ammo is live.

My gut feeling is he flunks. Miserably. Of course I hope I am wrong but to date all the evidence and franchise history tell me so.

What bothers me most about all this is the GM and the fact that as an unproven exec new to the job with zero success cushion / political capital however you wish to describe it, was fool enough to make a pick like this and not realize he was tying his rep to overdrafting a player that had 4th - 5th round written all over him. Was he that cocky or just plain stupid to make the pick?  This is the kind of risky move an established top 10 GM can survive saying "hey we took a risk, it didnt work."  Ultimately I think this is what punches McCaggs ticket out of NY.

Agree with the above, but he should also be pushed out of bounds because he's been here three years and he's crafted the undeniably least talented roster in the league.

12 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

I'm VERY excited for Saturday's game it'll be AUGUST 2009 ALL OVER AGAIN!!!:

After preseason opener, the Mark Sanchez Christian Hackenberg era begins for the Jets

After taking only eight snaps in his NFL debut, Mark Sanchez Christian Hackenberg needs work if he's going to be the Jets' opening-day starter, which appears likely. Barring an upset, he will start the next game, Aug. 24 in Baltimore  Aug. 12 in Detroit - a night game against one of the league's top defenses all-time losing franchises.

Rex Ryan Todd Bowles was noncommittal after Saturday night's preseason opener, but he acknowledged, "(Sanchez Hackenberg) will definitely play more." The plan should be clear when the Jets resume two-a-days this morning at SUNY-Cortland Florham Park. Ryan Bowles has said he'd like to name a starter before the third game. 

As well as Sanchez  Hackenberg (3-for-4, 88 yards) played coming off the bench against the Titans Rams,  he was given a relatively vanilla game plan. Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer Johnny Morton likes to run a motion offense, but there were motions and shifts on only two of Sanchez' Hackenberg's eight plays. In contrast, Kellen Clemens McCown, in his fourth 16th season in the system, ran motion on eight of 14 plays in a starting role. 

"It was one series, and it was some basic stuff out there," Sanchez said Hackenberg. "We'll do a lot more come next week, and maybe I'll see more playing time. As these things go on, you have to stay sharp, make completions and move the chains. I thought I did that (Friday night), but it's still early." 

Sanchez Hackenerbg did show poise in the face of two blitzes, finding the correct "hot" receivers - albeit one throw for an incompletion. WR Jerricho Cotchery Richie Anderson was impressed that the NON-rookie didn't lose his cool after his first pass was a 48-yard completion. 

"He came right back in the huddle, relaxed," Cotchery Anderson said. "Sometimes NON-rookies get so excited after making a play they can't calm down. He was ready to move on to the next play." 

LMAO

47 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

I agree with this, and I think it is sad that it would appear that Hack not working out will have a effect.  It will snowball into a complete regime change.  

Who is going to tell Woody that he needs a complete change?

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Every meteorologist: It's going to rain today. Every piece of available predictive data aligns with this prediction. 

Me: Wow, yeah, look at all the storm clouds, and rain drops are already coming down. Totally going to rain.

Penn State alum: That's your agenda bias. 

Me: What?

Penn State alum: Maybe that cloud is just sad because it lost a bunch of scholarships.

Penn State is actually one of the best meteorological schools in the country. I worked at Accuweather there for a semester. Interesting sidelight there.

Meteorologists are often incorrect. You are often incorrect.

Excuse me for not using predictive data, and instead using qualitative data based on recency (what he will do today). Sorry to burst your bubble. Your quips are cute though, and that is why I like and respect you.

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Penn State is actually one of the best meteorological schools in the country. I worked at Accuweather there for a semester. Interesting sidelight there.

Meteorologists are often incorrect. You are often incorrect.

Excuse me for not using predictive data, and instead using qualitative data based on recency (what he will do today). Sorry to burst your bubble. Your quips are cute though, and that is why I like and respect you.

I, too, consider you to be a close personal friend. 

16 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

You watch them live, you review the tape of practices later.  Pretty straightforward.  Also, like I tried to say earlier, just looking at numbers doesnt tell you which QB got the worst of the WRs, who had the most drops or missed routes lowering his %.

You have to be pretty lost to neg rep this simple, basic concept.  

Archived