Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
AFJF

RIP Tom Petty

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

So one of my best friends from college, Dad was one of Tom's best friends and one of the drummers from Mudcrutch, Dicky Rucker.  When Tom finally went back to Gainesville after like 30 years or something since they kicked him out of school, we got back stages passes to the show.  Got to meet Tom and everything.  Suck a freaking humble and cool dude.  I was star struck and watching Dicky embrace Tom like long lost brothers was a really cool moment in my life.  

Legit, there are very few eristics in the history of time that can write songs like Tom.  Ugh.  So sad.

What a great story JiF, I just saw a cool picture of the Gainesville crew all hanging out us hippies used to back in the 70's. Perhaps your pop is in that shot, I'll try to find it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

Me and Jif saw PJ here in Jax last year. Tom Petty played a role in one of the best moments of the show:

 

 

Very cool moment.  I immediately thought about this show when he passed.  Eddie loved him...I'm sure the tribute show will be something else! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of the Gators game, the coolest sh*t ever happened during the break of the 3rd quarter (much better than the result of the game).  For some reason I can't copy and paste but check the link below.  It literally sent chills down my spin.

So all throughout the game, the stadium DJ was trying to play Petty....the crowd would get into it and then @BroadwayJoe12 - the classy LSU band would start up and not sh*t try to tune the crowd out while we were giving homage to a man who just passed away that grew up in Gainesville.  And then, as we are singing our fight song during the 3rd quarter which is a tradition...the ******* band tried to drown us out again.  This is also the same team that led a fight song and chant while one of our players sat injured on the field.  Classy LSU.  Anywho, after the band drowns out our fight song, the DJ started blaring Petty "I won't back down"...the ******* band, once again tries to drown us out and then this happened:

We lost because we suck donkey dick but this was one of the coolest moments I've ever had a Gators game:

 

http://www.businessinsider.com/gators-fans-sing-tribute-to-tom-petty-2017-10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

haha on the top video in that link, there is a moment you can hear the classy LSU band try to tune in and the crowd gives them a quick boo and just gets louder.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a great video that captures everyone booing the LSU band after they drown out the fight song...you can hear the boo's...then the song, the another attempt to drown us out, and then it just gets louder and louder.  

Truly amazing.  Especially for a fanboy like me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JiF said:

Here's a great video that captures everyone booing the LSU band after they drown out the fight song...you can hear the boo's...then the song, the another attempt to drown us out, and then it just gets louder and louder.  

Truly amazing.  Especially for a fanboy like me.

 

Fukkin' awesome.  Absolutely love that the crowd nailed the chorus in tune.  No easy achievement.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I once read an article where the reporter was talking to one of the Ramones about "I Wanna Be Sedated".  He asked why that was such a big hit versus so many of their other songs. The response was that the Song Writing God stopped by their house on the way back from Bono's. For those of you who write or have written lyrics, music or prose you know EXACTLY what that means.

The Song Writing God lived in Mr. Petty's spare bedroom

Big loss at too early an age. Looks like smoking cigs had something to do with this.

Petty was so much more than a musician, He had a great show on Sirius radio and did some good acting in the movie "Postman"

S'long Tom.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

I once read an article where the reporter was talking to one of the Ramones about "I Wanna Be Sedated".  He asked why that was such a big hit versus so many of their other songs. The response was that the Song Writing God stopped by their house on the way back from Bono's. For those of you who write or have written lyrics, music or prose you know EXACTLY what that means.

The Song Writing God lived in Mr. Petty's spare bedroom

Big loss at too early an age. Looks like smoking cigs had something to do with this.

Petty was so much more than a musician, He had a great show on Sirius radio and did some good acting in the movie "Postman"

S'long Tom.

 

 

Howard Stern memorialized him in a very respectful session but made a poignant point about his life.    Howard was a big fan.    Howards point was that as great as Tom Petty was...  he seemed to live in the shadow of someone just a little bigger at various stages in his career.

Bruce in his playing days, Harrison with the Wilbury's and even in death, the same day he passes the Vegas incident happened and Petty moved to page 2 or 3.   Pointing out that Petty NEVER got the recognition he deserved and I agree. 

I always liked him but never owned his music.  Im embarrassed by that fact now.  Last 2 weeks its been playing non stop in my house.  Im playing it on my guitar etc.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Howard Stern memorialized him in a very respectful session but made a poignant point about his life.    Howard was a big fan.    Howards point was that as great as Tom Petty was...  he seemed to live in the shadow of someone just a little bigger at various stages in his career.

Bruce in his playing days, Harrison with the Wilbury's and even in death, the same day he passes the Vegas incident happened and Petty moved to page 2 or 3.   Pointing out that Petty NEVER got the recognition he deserved and I agree. 

I always liked him but never owned his music.  Im embarrassed by that fact now.  Last 2 weeks its been playing non stop in my house.  Im playing it on my guitar etc.

 

 

Respect.  The man is amazing.  I’ve been going through his collection since he passed and he truly is one of the most gifted song writers in the history of music.  Just incredible rythyms accompanied by absolute poetic lyrics.  That man can create a scene and set a mode lyrically like very few have ever done and ever will.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2017 at 9:55 AM, southparkcpa said:

Howard Stern memorialized him in a very respectful session but made a poignant point about his life.    Howard was a big fan.    Howards point was that as great as Tom Petty was...  he seemed to live in the shadow of someone just a little bigger at various stages in his career.

Bruce in his playing days, Harrison with the Wilbury's and even in death, the same day he passes the Vegas incident happened and Petty moved to page 2 or 3.   Pointing out that Petty NEVER got the recognition he deserved and I agree. 

I always liked him but never owned his music.  Im embarrassed by that fact now.  Last 2 weeks its been playing non stop in my house.  Im playing it on my guitar etc.

 

 

Hugggge stern fan here..... But i wouldnt call stern a HUGE fan of any band. In fact, imo, Stern doesnt know squat about music even from his own generarion. A total poser. 

But i love stern and tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  



×