Yankees - 2018 and beyond

Maxman

On 2/15/2018 at 6:58 PM, SMC said:

No, the early rumors are that Yanks are fine staying inhouse at 3rd & 2nd until Torres & Andujar are ready.  Word is that the Yanks will call up Torres around the 2nd or 3rd week of the season so they get an extra year of service time (if they call him up to start the season he becomes an UFA a year early).  If they do that, they can go with Torreyes for the 1st 10 games.  If Wade loses the dear-in-headlights look like he did last year with his callup he could be an option.

Wade was unbelievably bad last year. They gave him the benefit of the doubt but if you had to evaluate him on what he did at the major league level, he wouldn't be in camp.

He does seem to have talent, hopefully he had a good offseason and can shake it off and play better this year.

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Maxman said:

Wade was unbelievably bad last year. They gave him the benefit of the doubt but if you had to evaluate him on what he did at the major league level, he wouldn't be in camp.

He does seem to have talent, hopefully he had a good offseason and can shake it off and play better this year.

Judge's first call up he had 42 strikeouts in 84 At bats while hitting under 180.   You have to give young kids more than one chance.

10 hours ago, chirorob said:

Judge's first call up he had 42 strikeouts in 84 At bats while hitting under 180.   You have to give young kids more than one chance.

Wade's average was even lower than Judge's was their first years. Like I said I hope he bounces back. But he looked like the spot was too big for him last year. Hopefully not the case this year.

Judge strikes out 14 times in a row and he never seems to panic.

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

Wade's average was even lower than Judge's was their first years. Like I said I hope he bounces back. But he looked like the spot was too big for him last year. Hopefully not the case this year.

Judge strikes out 14 times in a row and he never seems to panic.

That's the trouble.   Some guys start off rough, and figure it out.  Some guys start out rough and never figure it out, just have to give a few chances and see what happens.

12 minutes ago, chirorob said:

That's the trouble.   Some guys start off rough, and figure it out.  Some guys start out rough and never figure it out, just have to give a few chances and see what happens.

He had a good day yesterday.

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Bird out 6-8 weeks to have bone spur removed from ankle. 

I really like the guy, but he is snake bit health wise.

I was hoping it was related to last year, gets fixed and he moves on. This doc says:

While he stipulated he has not seen Bird’s specific data, Tehrany opined that, based on experience, a correlation didn’t exist between Bird’s two right-ankle ailments — last year’s problem limited him to 48 regular-season games and the playoffs — and therefore, this development didn’t bode poorly for Bird’s future.

So this guy is brittle. Scary because his upside is huge.

Stanton just set the record for highest exit velocity of a ball hit in Blue Jay's stadium.  (granted they've only been tracking it for a few years).

The player who owned that record is Aaron Judge.    This will be a fun year, there will be some runs scored, and there will be some 14 strikeout games.

3 hours ago, chirorob said:

Stanton just set the record for highest exit velocity of a ball hit in Blue Jay's stadium.  (granted they've only been tracking it for a few years).

The player who owned that record is Aaron Judge.    This will be a fun year, there will be some runs scored, and there will be some 14 strikeout games.

Going to be so much fun.

I am going on Monday, opening day!

• 2 weeks later...

What this season is telling me so far is sluggers are overrated.  Give me a team full of Didi Gs and we'd be unstoppable.  Stanton, Judge and Sanchez have been pretty disappointing so far.  We'll see, too early to tell.  Excited for tonights matchup with the Red Sox.

4 hours ago, nyjunc said:

it's going to be fun to watch all the fans and media hop off the bandwagon after this poor start.  This team will be fine, just hopefully they don't fall into too great of a hole w/ this start.

Maybe they'll be fine, but it is hard to understand why we are struggling this much.  I can see one or two players struggling but it seems 80% of the team is struggling.  Last night, Boone walked to the mound yawning as he pulled Kahnle.  I'm not ready to call for Boone's firing, maybe he wasn't yawning, but damn, the team looks sluggish, unsure, disorganized.  A 14-1 ass-wooping from Boston is no yawning matter.  We'll see if the Yankees can turn it around before Boston gets too far ahead in the standings, but I don't think the remaining games in this series with Boston will go well.

23 minutes ago, afjetsfan said:

Maybe they'll be fine, but it is hard to understand why we are struggling this much.  I can see one or two players struggling but it seems 80% of the team is struggling.  Last night, Boone walked to the mound yawning as he pulled Kahnle.  I'm not ready to call for Boone's firing, maybe he wasn't yawning, but damn, the team looks sluggish, unsure, disorganized.  A 14-1 ass-wooping from Boston is no yawning matter.  We'll see if the Yankees can turn it around before Boston gets too far ahead in the standings, but I don't think the remaining games in this series with Boston will go well.

we are 2 weeks into the season.  we know they are going to hit, we know this bullpen will be fine. obviously Boone is still a question mark but my guess is he'll be fine.

The Yankees have 18 more games w/ Boston, they'll be fine.  if they are playing like this throughout May and into June I'll get really worried but I am not worried at all at the moment even as bad as last night was.  it may get worse before it starts to get better but eventually they will be fine.

8 hours ago, nyjunc said:

it's going to be fun to watch all the fans and media hop off the bandwagon after this poor start.  This team will be fine, just hopefully they don't fall into too great of a hole w/ this start.

Yes, I hope they dig out soon.

Sony Gray is ass.

He has no confidence, it takes him 14 minutes to throw a pitch, which is usually outside.   Cashman has done a very good job, but that trade will be one of the few mistakes.   Even if he is pitching decently, it takes him 100 pitches to go 5 innings.

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I was at the game last night. FUN.

As was I. Going again tonight. 

My two favorite teams (Born & Rasied in Bronx, Spent summers in FLA w/family and saw Marlins since inception; 2003 WS sucked) facing each other. Sadly the Marlins are what the Yanks needed to boost their confidence and awaken their bats. I like the young guys (Anderson & Brinson) the Marlins are playing and l am curious to see how they develop their farm system.  

2 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

As was I. Going again tonight. 

My two favorite teams (Born & Rasied in Bronx, Spent summers in FLA w/family and saw Marlins since inception; 2003 WS sucked) facing each other. Sadly the Marlins are what the Yanks needed to boost their confidence and awaken their bats. I like the young guys (Anderson & Brinson) the Marlins are playing and l am curious to see how they develop their farm system.  

We’ll see how jeter does building a minor league the Jose Fernandez tragedy set them back a few years

Severino is quietly, really, really good

It was fun seeing Torres up there finally, even though he left a basketball team on the bases today. LOL. Him and Andujar in the lineup is exciting. Drury got Wally Pip'd. Wade simply blew his chance.  Judge & Sanchez struggled in their first tries but came on strong in their second stints. Wade stunk his second time around.

Archived