Yankees - 2018 and beyond

Maxman

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Philc1 said:

The Yankees need Kershaw and really they need Kershaw and more. Like they also need Dallas Keuchel.  If the Yankees really want to win a World Series next season they need both Kershaw and Keuchel 

The Yankees are under the luxury tax and have big contracts coming off.  They can afford these pitchers and need them otherwise enjoy wasting the careers of Judge, Stanton, Sanchez, Torres etc

Kershaw not always the best playoff pitcher

7 hours ago, chirorob said:

The slider has lost the tremendous bite that he had. Velocity is down also. More difficulty in finishing batters off.

That was certainly not  his best "stuff" last night, but pitchers do not have their best stuff at least 40% of the time. He is still figuring out how to get by when he does not have it all working. It is what happens as you get that many innings logged. 

9 hours ago, chirorob said:

Another great effort last night. 3 Ip, 4ER, ERA12.0. As bad as that was, it probably lowered his career post season ERA. The Yankees need Kershaw about as much as North Carolina needs more rain. Maybe it's time for Shefield to get his chance?

On 10/12/2018 at 2:26 PM, Philc1 said:

The Yankees need Kershaw and really they need Kershaw and more. Like they also need Dallas Keuchel.  If the Yankees really want to win a World Series next season they need both Kershaw and Keuchel

Just say no to Kershaw.   They can lose in the playoffs without paying him 30+ million to lose for them

57 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The Jets have lost to the eventual Super Bowl winners 6 of the last 12 years.

The last time we lost in the playoffs to the eventual super bowl champions was 1998 to Denver and I think in our history we've only lost in the playoffs twice to eventual SB champions.  1969 to KC, 1998 to Denver

56 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

The last time we lost in the playoffs to the eventual super bowl champions was 1998 to Denver and I think in our history we've only lost in the playoffs twice to eventual SB champions.  1969 to KC, 1998 to Denver

I don't see anywhere in my post where I said playoffs. Do you really think that I believe the Jets made the playoffs 6 of the last 12 years?

35 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I don't see anywhere in my post where I said playoffs. Do you really think that I believe the Jets made the playoffs 6 of the last 12 years?

Ok.  I was just pointing that fact out since you responded to a post about the Yankees losing in the playoffs to the eventual champ the last 2 years.

On 10/24/2018 at 5:41 PM, chirorob said:

Just say no to Kershaw.   They can lose in the playoffs without paying him 30+ million to lose for them

Yankees might not make the playoffs next year if they don’t sign neither Keuchel nor Kershaw.  Severino had a phenomenal first half of last season and came back to earth without that might not even get the wildcard   the Rays won 90 games and didn’t get a wildcard

11 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Yankees might not make the playoffs next year if they don’t sign neither Keuchel nor Kershaw.  Severino had a phenomenal first half of last season and came back to earth without that might not even get the wildcard   the Rays won 90 games and didn’t get a wildcard

They need 2 starters.   I take the guy off Arizona over Keuchel, and either trade or sign a 2nd.

On 10/29/2018 at 4:04 PM, nyjunc said:

What does playoffs have to do with what he said ? Scott NEVER said playoffs if I read it correctly. Which I did.

16 hours ago, Philc1 said:

You have a young team. Just add a piece or 2 (starting pitcher?) and you'll be in the thick of it again.

10 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Gardner could have gotten more years and money from another team.  Good to have him back

Where? What team is giving multiple years to a sub .700 OPS 35 year old? More than 8 million fora fourth/fifth outfielder who is a defensive replacement/pinch runner at this point? He’s been a solid player for them for a long time but he wasn’t getting more of anything, anywhere. 

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Where? What team is giving multiple years to a sub .700 OPS 35 year old? More than 8 million fora fourth/fifth outfielder who is a defensive replacement/pinch runner at this point? He’s been a solid player for them for a long time but he wasn’t getting more of anything, anywhere. 

I don't think he gets more than a 2 year, 9 million some where else.

He's a guy who means more to the Yanks than he would any other team.   For them, he's a lefty (which they need) who can play left and center, is well liked in the club house, and can handle NY.   I like Hicks, but he has been injury prone, so having someone who can fill in at CF is nice, and Gardner, even at 35, is a good 4th outfielder who can play every day in spurts.   He will be helped by hopefully only playing about 80-90 games, so he doesn't wear down and get dinged up.

On 11/2/2018 at 7:55 AM, CrazyCarl40 said:

The Mets could use a guy like Gardner he’s still a productive player even at his age and even though you obviously hate him because he’s a yankee

On 11/2/2018 at 5:08 PM, Scott Dierking said:

So, Kershaw really wanted to stay a Dodger. wound up extending for 1 more year, at about $28m. 

That was the thought during the WS. And so it came to pass. He's lucky he got it. IMO he's peaked and is on the downside of the hill.

9 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The Mets could use a guy like Gardner he’s still a productive player even at his age and even though you obviously hate him because he’s a yankee

That's not it at all. Yankee deal was the best he was getting IMO. Doubt he'd get more anywhere else. It's a win win deal.

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 3:23 PM, Thai Jet said:

What does playoffs have to do with what he said ? Scott NEVER said playoffs if I read it correctly. Which I did.

what is wrong w/ you guys? I was just making a point about the team we are all here on this board for and comparing it to that statement which obviously he was talking about the postseason whether he said it or not.  Some folks around here need to rub one out and relax.

10 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

You know he took a pay cut to resign right ?

Kind of.   They bought out his final year at 2 million, and then gave him the new contract. 

They could have just bought him out, and not re signed him.   No one was giving him a 1 year 12 million deal. 

I like the guy, I'm glad he's back, I hope he is glad he is back

Archived