Kiper's Mock 2.0 (2/21)

prime21

21 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

I personally like Allen a lot. I've seen other drafts that have him being taken #1 by Cleveland.

I agree with a lot of what you've said. If we don't get our starting QB in FA we HAVE to take a QB @ #6. I'm hoping Allen is there. He can be mentored by McCown.

The NFL scouts right now are scouring the tape trying to compare Allen to ghosts of college QBs past-Flacco, Roethisberger, Stafford, Wentz.  They will see simiilarities.    There is some sense to the infatuation with QBs that look the part.  Guys like that have been made into NFL QBs.  

To me Allen is more "no for the Jets" than no generally, but his Hack-esque accuracy in drills is concerning.  I don't see the Jets as the team that is going to be able to develop Allen.  To me that is a crucial problem with MacBowles generally.  

Look at what the Eagles were able to do with Wentz?  Look at the coaches they assembled and now mostly lost, because they were that good.  And that is after firing Chip Kelly.  The Jets are forced to go with the easy option.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Gangrene said:

This is from the current Sports Illustrated,  five other talking football heads with their current top mock top five....

If they are even close to forecasting reality it suggests that one or more of the top four qbs will be there at 6.

Charles Davis, NFL Network (Feb. 20)
1. BROWNS: Sam Darnold, Quarterback, USC
2. GIANTS: Saquon Barkley, Running Back, Penn State
3. COLTS: Bradley Chubb, Defensive End, North Carolina State
4. BROWNS: Minkah Fitzpatrick, Defensive Back, Alabama
5. BRONCOS: Josh Rosen, Quarterback, UCLA

Will Brinson, CBS Sports (Feb. 20)
2. GIANTS: Josh Allen, Quarterback, Wyoming
5. BRONCOS: (TRADE!) BILLS: Josh Rosen, Quarterback, UCLA

Mike Tanier, Bleacher Report (Feb. 19)
1. BROWNS: Saquon Barkley, Running Back, Penn State
2. GIANTS: Sam Darnold, Quarterback, USC
5. BRONCOS: Quenton Nelson, Guard, Notre Dame

John Harris, The Washington Post (Feb. 14)
2. GIANTS: Quenton Nelson, Guard, Notre Dame
4. BROWNS: Saquon Barkley, Running Back, Penn State
5. BRONCOS: Baker Mayfield, Quarterback, Oklahoma

Non of these matter, no point in even looking at any mock drafts other then for entertainment purposes, first Cousins has to sign somewhere, AND most importantly the Combine has to happen, then mock drafts can be somewhat informative, but still not reliable.

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

Truer words never spoken.  If Rosen, Mayfield and Allen are taken, and Darnold falls to us at 6 and we take him, someone will bash Macc for it (without giving an explanation of what he should have done instead).  It's going to be such fun up until the draft and even more fun just after.  

More likely, Darnold falls and we still draft Minkah Fitzpatrick because we have 180M locked up in Kirk Cousins.

4 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

Hate Kipers comments re if we get Cousins, then CB is our biggest need. The reason CB is perennially our biggest need is because our pass rush SUCKS BALLS...a good rush can make a good CB great...without a pass rush a great CB can look mediocre. Do we need a CB? Yup...but we need an edge rusher more IMO

You can't magically create a pass rusher good enough to be selected 6th overall. Without mocking trades, CB would be the best bet as Ward (OSU) can warrant a top 10 selection. Going by talent Nelson would warrant a top 10 selection as well. 

Piper is an uninformed moron.  Allen at 1 is the “Browniest” thing that could happen.  Ever.

Anyone who has followed this team this past season knows that’s Macc has been to several of Darnold’s, Rosen’s, and Allen’s games.  He even watched the USC/UCLA game from the UCLA sideline.  I never heard that Macc went to see Mayfield at all.  

I would be completely shocked if Rosen was available at 3 (and we did not sign Cousins) if we didn’t do everything possible to go up and get him.

9 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

the more i read these mocks, i wouldn't be surprised if mayfield goes 3 or 4 and rosen is the guy who drops.  i think allen will drop as teams dissect his game and realize he's a much bigger risk than is perceived right now.

if the jets don't get cousins, i am wondering if the jets would consider trading up for mayfield, if they really don't like allen, and rosen's off the field issues are real enough to scare a lot of teams off.

I would be very surprised if Rosen drops very far.  I don't think he'll even fall to #6.  I could see Josh Allen being #1 and Saquon Barkley being #2 though.  

6 hours ago, bitonti said:

besides his injuries (which may or may not be a problem, depending on combine dr exams)

Rosen speaks his mind in ways that most ownership hates 

Here's the news Jets fans: Mac can't draft Rosen even if he wanted to. The Johnsons would be pissed. 

The Giants ownership duo is the only one in the NFL that it wouldn’t piss off.

15 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Isn't there also some worry that he is a coach-killer?

We had a post here questioning Cousins fit because he is a Christian that said that he would support anybody in his locker-room (gays). I think Rosen spouting off can be a bit problematic, especially when our owner is the Ambassador to the UK.  Not necessarily, but it certainly should be vetted.

OMG, I hope we get him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived