Bad year for free agency

Jetster

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

look at the Dan Bailey situation.

the guy turned down more money to go play for a winner

all these discussions about cap space and how many awesome players the Jets are going to sign next year neglects this angle

good players want to win. Mercenaries take the money. 

On 9/18/2018 at 8:26 AM, Jetster said:

It will be interesting to see how Macc can improve the team. It's a terrible free agency class regarding the Oline & if Beachum & Carpenter aren't upgraded we're in deep sh*t. Ali Marpet is the top free agent. 

Looking at who might be available a guy the Jets should target to help Sam Darnold, I would make 2 moves that would be huge helps to Sam & Bates. Obviously #1 is anything they can do to upgrade the Oline. 2nd is free agency. I would 1st resign Quincy & maybe Kearse if the contract is reasonable. But the 2 big offensive moves would be to sign Le'veon Bell (If you look around the league at what teams have cap dollars or teams that need a #1 RB, there aren't that many openings, which means even though he'll get paid, it's not going to be outrageous based on how good he is. The #2 move is to sign Devin Funchess! This guy is a HUGE target for Sam & he gets better every year & he's the reason the Panthers could trade Kelvin Benjamin. 

We're not going to be able to do everything we need to do because it's such a poor free agency class, but just giving Sam more weapons will allow us to just outscore some teams. If your offensive lineup is Sam, Bell, Crowell, McGuire, Cannon, Q, Funchess, Kearse, Anderson. 

We all know it's 2020 for our true turn around, 2019 could still be a great year, but 2 more drafts to find pass rushers & olineman. Bowles should kiss Darnolds azz because he likely will save his job based on how the Johnsons operate. 

tumblr_nt68ehJOxK1r3ftwpo3_540.gif

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

look at the Dan Bailey situation.

the guy turned down more money to go play for a winner

all these discussions about cap space and how many awesome players the Jets are going to sign next year neglects this angle

good players want to win. Mercenaries take the money. 

Well it depends if Darnold shows promise. IT all goes back the QB

17 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Well it depends if Darnold shows promise. IT all goes back the QB

Dan Bailey didn't go to Minny because of Cousins. He went there for the whole thing. The stacked D, the 2 #1 WR types, kicking indoors, Mike Zimmer vs Todd Bowles etc. 

It actually goes back further than the QB. It all goes to ownership and commitment to winning.   Chris has been in charge for a couple months but it's a whole thing not just 1 player. 

On 9/18/2018 at 11:16 AM, Jetster said:

Yea ok. Semantics. The Cowboys are not letting this guy get away. The Jets don't have the draft capital to trade for him. Lawrence will NOT be a NY Jet next year and any discussion regarding his availibity to the Jets is a moot point. That I would place a bet on! 

On 9/18/2018 at 11:13 AM, Gas2No99 said:

They CAN, but please don't disseminate INCORRECT news.

Lawrence was TAGGED by the Cowboys not Re-Signed to a Long Term deal which is the context of "resigning" in this thread. They CAN tag him again, and they CAN also NOT Tag him, Trade him, or Rescind the Tag. 

So as of this discussion today. He's NOT re-signed for Dallas and can still remain a possibility in discussion for the 2019 Jets. 

I think having the chance to franchise tag a player 2 consecutive years is a travesty of a mockery of a sham.

On 9/18/2018 at 12:15 PM, Ghost420 said:

Anyone who thinks Crowell, Powell, and McGuire are good enough for RBS are fooling themselves. I am not saying to get Bell but we need to draft a RB early. You think Rams would be the same without Gurley. And we seen what Cowboys look like without Zeke. 

I'm just not sure how early we can afford to draft a RB with glaring needs at LT and OLB.  Earliest they can even think about drafting a RB is in the 4th and even then I would draft C/CB/MLB/WR/G before drafting a RB there.

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:45 PM, JetFanatic said:

I'm just not sure how early we can afford to draft a RB with glaring needs at LT and OLB.  Earliest they can even think about drafting a RB is in the 4th and even then I would draft C/CB/MLB/WR/G before drafting a RB there.

If you want Sam to succeed they better get some talent around him. This offense is dogsh*t. 

Archived