Bad year for free agency

Jetster

It will be interesting to see how Macc can improve the team. It's a terrible free agency class regarding the Oline & if Beachum & Carpenter aren't upgraded we're in deep sh*t. Ali Marpet is the top free agent. 

Looking at who might be available a guy the Jets should target to help Sam Darnold, I would make 2 moves that would be huge helps to Sam & Bates. Obviously #1 is anything they can do to upgrade the Oline. 2nd is free agency. I would 1st resign Quincy & maybe Kearse if the contract is reasonable. But the 2 big offensive moves would be to sign Le'veon Bell (If you look around the league at what teams have cap dollars or teams that need a #1 RB, there aren't that many openings, which means even though he'll get paid, it's not going to be outrageous based on how good he is. The #2 move is to sign Devin Funchess! This guy is a HUGE target for Sam & he gets better every year & he's the reason the Panthers could trade Kelvin Benjamin. 

We're not going to be able to do everything we need to do because it's such a poor free agency class, but just giving Sam more weapons will allow us to just outscore some teams. If your offensive lineup is Sam, Bell, Crowell, McGuire, Cannon, Q, Funchess, Kearse, Anderson. 

We all know it's 2020 for our true turn around, 2019 could still be a great year, but 2 more drafts to find pass rushers & olineman. Bowles should kiss Darnolds azz because he likely will save his job based on how the Johnsons operate. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Jetster said:

But the 2 big offensive moves would be to sign Le'veon Bell (If you look around the league at what teams have cap dollars or teams that need a #1 RB, there aren't that many openings, which means even though he'll get paid, it's not going to be outrageous based on how good he is. The #2 move is to sign Devin Funchess! This guy is a HUGE target for Sam & he gets better every year & he's the reason the Panthers could trade Kelvin Benjamin. 

We're not going to be able to do everything we need to do because it's such a poor free agency class, but just giving Sam more weapons will allow us to just outscore some teams. If your offensive lineup is Sam, Bell, Crowell, McGuire, Cannon, Q, Funchess, Kearse, Anderson. 

We all know it's 2020 for our true turn around, 2019 could still be a great year, but 2 more drafts to find pass rushers & olineman. Bowles should kiss Darnolds azz because he likely will save his job based on how the Johnsons operate. 

Le'veon Bell . prepare for the posts where people tell you he is not worth the money, not at his position.

Devin Funchess. I don't see Carolina letting him walk. 

Im not sure what Funchess has done so far other then be a bit in between a WR and TE who struggles to separate.

If im Mac im focusing on a guard like Ali Marpert who would fit in the zone system.  Id go hard after Barr or Fowler to be an edge rusher and Id resign Enunwa, Kearse, Tender Robby and extend Powell another season.

Id resign Beachem as well as you simply cant find LTs on the open market, but to a contract that we can get out of after 2019 so that if a LT falls to us in the first round, we can take them and either trade Beachem, or have a good backup OT for 2019.

Ideally keeping Clairborne for one more year would be great, but we could also go young next to Trumaine with Nickerson, Jones and more of a mid level FA.

Our TEs are fine with Herndon developing and Sterling behind him.

Im not paying Leveon $17/season.

8 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Im not sure what Funchess has done so far other then be a bit in between a WR and TE who struggles to separate.

If im Mac im focusing on a guard like Ali Marpert who would fit in the zone system.  Id go hard after Barr or Fowler to be an edge rusher and Id resign Enunwa, Kearse, Tender Robby and extend Powell another season.

Id resign Beachem as well as you simply cant find LTs on the open market, but to a contract that we can get out of after 2019 so that if a LT falls to us in the first round, we can take them and either trade Beachem, or have a good backup OT for 2019.

Ideally keeping Clairborne for one more year would be great, but we could also go young next to Trumaine with Nickerson, Jones and more of a mid level FA.

Good post.  Agree about Funchess.  As much as I like the big WRs I think what this offense lacks is the smaller, faster receiver who can line up in slot and outside and has a little wiggle to them.  I actually wouldn’t mind giving John Brown a run.  Keep Q, Kearse and Robby.  

Agree with Barr and Fowler, if you want to really make a statement get both.  But that may be wishful thinking.  

I think they need to find out what Robinson can do when he comes back from suspension, he could slide into Claiborne spot at a nice savings.  

The draft is all about finding a future LT and a weapon or two for Sam. 

We need to use our Cap space at all costs before we lose it. If FA is truly bad because teams resign their players, we need to target the teams in cap hell and do what Cleveland did with Brock Osweiller.

Take on bad contracts and accumulate picks. We clearly need more draft capital since FA has been pretty bare now that plenty of teams have cap space. 

It will cost a lot to resign our own guys though so it’s not like we are completely loaded considering we have so many holes. 

If we absolutely CAN’T find any free agents and bomb, we have to just use the money wherever we can (I’m not completely opposed to Bell as a desperation move). 

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Don’t need Bell at the price he’d demand. Crowell, McGuire, Cannon is enough.

I love Funchess replacing Pryor. 

The big signings should be Preston Smith and (not or) Brandon Graham at OLB/Edge. That gives us a rotation of Jenkins, Smith, Graham and Luvu.

Can also see if Attaochu does anything..If he does, look to resign him

11 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Good post.  Agree about Funchess.  As much as I like the big WRs I think what this offense lacks is the smaller, faster receiver who can line up in slot and outside and has a little wiggle to them.  I actually wouldn’t mind giving John Brown a run.  Keep Q, Kearse and Robby.  

Agree with Barr and Fowler, if you want to really make a statement get both.  But that may be wishful thinking.  

I think they need to find out what Robinson can do when he comes back from suspension, he could slide into Claiborne spot at a nice savings.  

The draft is all about finding a future LT and a weapon or two for Sam. 

Good post. I love your point about the speedy, smaller guy who can be the deep threat. If you do that , you can rid yourself of the player who is soon becoming my least favorite Jet, Robby Anderson. If Jags somehow get to the Bowl, can't see them letting Fowler leave. Remember , Coughlin knows the reason they won his 2 Super bowls.

20 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Beachum is signed for '19..If the Jets find an upgrade or draft a future LT, Beachum would still be good to keep for depth. Alittle pricey but worth his experience. 

I see Nickerson replacing Skrine. I'd like to see what Robinson can do this season. He or Jones could replace Claiborne if the Jets decide not to resign him. 

5 minutes ago, section314 said:

Good post. I love your point about the speedy, smaller guy who can be the deep threat. If you do that , you can rid yourself of the player who is soon becoming my least favorite Jet, Robby Anderson. If Jags somehow get to the Bowl, can't see them letting Fowler leave. Remember , Coughlin knows the reason they won his 2 Super bowls.

I think Jacksonville right now only has about $3 million in cap space next year, obviously they can make some cuts, but franchising Fowler would require them to cut other starters.  We’ll see,  a lot could depend on how far Jax goes this year.  

11 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Every year is a bad year for free agency.

Perhaps you're just not a savvy shopper.

FA can work for us and NOT be too detrimental if we stick to the SHORT UPFRONT $$$ Contracts w/Out clauses for 2nd contract Players and JAG Veterans (think OL/DL/WR/STs) looking to latch on for depth at a reduced rate. 

4 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I think Jacksonville right now only has about $3 million in cap space next year, obviously they can make some cuts, but franchising Fowler would require them to cut other starters.  We’ll see,  a lot could depend on how far Jax goes this year.  

Absolutely. It's funny, since college season has started, I spend most of my watching time looking at the good edge rushers, and the guys who are trying to block them.

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

Absolutely. It's funny, since college season has started, I spend most of my watching time looking at the good edge rushers, and the guys who are trying to block them.

It's so nice watching college ball this year and for the first time in my life, not trying to scout and fall in love with QBs that I hope the Jets take.

44 minutes ago, BCJet said:

There is no 17 million dollar market for Bell. Jets should let teams negotiate then just step in and sign him. Funchess has had FIELD DAYS vs the Pats. 

Franchise?  Dante Fowler?  They already declined the 5th year option.  Why the **** would they franchise him?  That would be beyond moronic. 

I'm not sure why Jets fans expect to get anything out of Rashard Robinson.  The guy has been on the team close to a year and seems like a dog.  Bad attitude, bad player, tons of penalties.  I am also a bit puzzled with all the Nickerson love.  Sure, you all hate Skrine, but the kid played 3 snaps.  He made one tackle in run support, finished off with a taunting penalty and made an incredible catch (out of bounds) on a ball where the QB misread the WRs option (or vice versa).  I get wanting to see more, but the idea that he is ready to start seems a bit premature to me.  This all goes triple for Jones who is still crazy raw and rarely active.  I don't get the love for the kid from all the people that complain to me about caring about how players athletically test.  I get seeing what they can do, but we saw what Burris can do and it wasn't much.

I'm not a big Funchos fan, but it seems sane enough to target an ascending player.  OTOH, he is the #1 WR for the Panthers and they probably will not let him walk easily.

As @C Mart points out, Beachum is signed reasonably for 2019.  That gives us another year to find a young/permanent replacement.  I'm not particularly sure why that matters, since we've been saying that since 2015, through D'Brick, Clady and Beachum.

5 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

You're right. They'll have to resign Yannick Ngakoue & Myles Jacks after '19 season. Right now if they had to pick between Fowler and Ngakoue, I'd guess they keep they'd Ngakoue. They resigned Telvin Smith last yr (he's signed thru '21) and he carries a '19 $12m cap hit. They just drafted Taven Bryan in the 1st. Looks like they can get out of Campbell, Malik Jackson & Darius after this season w/combined $10m in dead cap..

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

It will be interesting to see how Macc can improve the team. It's a terrible free agency class

I have THE SOLUTION for Mac and it being a bad free agency class....Draft better players at key positions, and develop the ones that are not.

CRAAAAAZEEEEEEE

We'll see how it goes... You never know who will get released or fall out of favor or demand a trade too. Long way to go to get to that point.

I guess maybe one good thing is I've seen a couple places say this years draft is heavy in the DE/Pass rusher side of things. So maybe we can take care of that during the draft and work to find some OL in FA... And the draft too. 

Archived