McGuire Looking Like Perfect Replacement for Powell

JetNation

IMG_4980.jpg

The Jets didn’t have a whole lot go right for them on offense in their embarrassing 13-6 loss to the Miami Dolphins on Sunday, but one bright spot was the return of second-year running back Elijah McGuire whose contributions were quite similar to those that the Jets had grown accustomed to getting from now injured running back Bilal Powell.

Not long after being drafted by the Jets, we compared McGuire to Powell as his possible successor as a back who could excel in all three phases of the game.  McGuire can run the ball, catch the ball and pick up oncoming blitzers better than many veteran backs.  After missing the season’s first eight games due to injury, McGuire put all three skills on display against the Dolphins.

In what was their worst performance of the season, the Jets offensive line didn’t give their backs much to work with, but McGuire, as Powell did so many times before, found ways to make something out of nothing as he averaged just below 4 yards per carry at 3.8.  The only downside was the lack of attempts as he carried the ball just six times.

The second-year back also showed off his receiving skills, pulling in three passes for 37 yards with one of them being a 20-yard gain while split out wide as a receiver.  Of all the things Powell does well, catching the football might be the one thing McGuire does better.

Aside from showing off his skills with the ball in his hands, McGuire was stellar once again in pass protection, proving that his skill set makes him a player who can be used in a variety of roles as Powell has been for so many years.  With a stagnant offense struggling to move the ball, Jets fans would probably like to see an expanded role as they look to get things back on the right track.

The post McGuire Looking Like Perfect Replacement for Powell appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
bhz8JEWRLyU

Click here to read the full story...

McGuire >>>>>> Crow and its not even close but I guarantee you that Crow will get double the touches.

Why? Because our coaching staff are a bunch of bumbling idiots that have no balls whatsoever when it comes to benching the vet for the better younger player. 

22 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Going into the season there were high expectations for McGuire to be used a lot and a big part of our running game. He looked pretty good on Sunday it was one of the high points for the Jets. 

IDK, in the off-season every time I posted that I expected McGuire to have a break out season all I got back was "he sucks"

32 minutes ago, JiF said:

McGuire >>>>>> Crow and its not even close but I guarantee you that Crow will get double the touches.

Think you need to slow your roll there friend... Outside of a couple nice runs last year, McGuire look as average as humanly possible.

He's fresh right now, and looks motivated. He needs to see some carries... But I don't know where this Crowell bashing is coming from. He's not creating a ton of yardage that isn't blocked, agreed, but our Oline is NOT executing on their scheme. 

28 minutes ago, JiF said:

Why? Because our coaching staff are a bunch of bumbling idiots that have no balls whatsoever when it comes to benching the vet for the better younger player. 

IMO McGuire should get bulk of snaps, with Cannon getting 3rd and 7+..  Besides the one freak game Crowell hasn't done squat 

30 minutes ago, JiF said:

Agreed.  Everyone can see that Crowell is visibly slower, but the coaches should see his 1.9, 2.2, 2.1 YPC average and say”hey, maybe Crow isn’t getting it done”.  

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

Think you need to slow your roll there friend... Outside of a couple nice runs last year, McGuire look as average as humanly possible.

He's fresh right now, and looks motivated. He needs to see some carries... But I don't know where this Crowell bashing is coming from. He's not creating a ton of yardage that isn't blocked, agreed, but our Oline is NOT executing on their scheme. 

Crowell looks slow, granted the blocking isn’t there, but he just runs into the line and falls down now.  That, and he fights the ball when it’s thrown to him.   They become somewhat one dimensional when he is in there.  

3 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Crowell looks slow, granted the blocking isn’t there, but he just runs into the line and falls down now.  That, and he fights the ball when it’s thrown to him.   They become somewhat one dimensional when he is in there.  

i think the injuries this year have sapped him... he's not exploding through LBers in any capacity... but he's had more than just 1 decent game. 

The whole offense if fcked right now. Routes are predictable, running game is flat, and people aren't playing inspired football. I do agree that McGuire needs to start seeing 50% of the snaps, for assessment purposes if nothing else, but it's a hard to gage anyone in this O right now. 

It's broken, the whole thing. 

i think the injuries this year have sapped him... he's not exploding through LBers in any capacity... but he's more than just 1 decent game. 

The whole offense if fcked right now. Routes are predictable, running game is flat, and people aren't playing inspired football. I do agree that McGuire needs to start seeing 50% of the snaps, for assessment purpose if nothing else, but it's a hard to gauge anyone in this O right now. 

Agree that it’s broken.  The re-emergence of the 4 receivers all running 7 yard curls when it’s 3rd and 8 is VERY alarming.  Cover Enunwa and you criple this offense.  They don’t have a plan B.  It’s sad to watch.  

Just now, sec101row23 said:

Agree that it’s broken.  The re-emergence of the 4 receivers all running 7 yard curls when it’s 3rd and 8 is VERY alarming.  Cover Enunwa and you criple this offense.  They don’t have a plan B.  It’s sad to watch.  

It was amazing how consistent the ball found it's way into 5 yard routes on 3rd and 8. Uncanny even. We must have set a record last week for most completed passes on 3rd down - not resulting in a 1st down. 

3 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Poor offensive line, and a bewildered rookie QB spells STW.

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

Maybe would have made sense for our coaches to design more plays that got the ball in McGuire and Herndon’s hands in Miami. But let’s not let logic get in the way of idiot behavior. 

has always been frustrating the past 15 years or so to see the jets not scheme to get the ball to the guys who should have the ball.  herndon looks like a baller, not someone you throw to 3 times a game.  mcguire had a nice first game back but he definitely needs to be a factor in the passing game and in fairness i thought darnold didn't look his way on some plays when he should have taken the modest gain and dumped it off.  enunwa also wasn't targeted enough.  guys like kearse and anderson are role players, both seem disinterested to varying degrees but at least anderson has value as a deep threat.  again what is the harm of throwing a deep ball to anderson once a quarter?  the good teams do this and either connect or get PI calls enough of the time to make it worth it.   it's easy to always blame the OC but with 3 OCs in 4 yrs under bowles along with several qbs the one constant is the hc here. 

if the jets lose to the bills, i hope they fire bowles right away and give an interim hc 2 weeks to prepare for the pats and i'd like to see if that could free an offense that can't seem to get out of it's own way right now.  

It was amazing how consistent the ball found it's way into 5 yard routes on 3rd and 8. Uncanny even. We must have set a record last week for most completed passes on 3rd down - not resulting in a 1st down. 

They couldn’t block long enough, the defense sat at the sticks and the Jets had no answer.  There’s nothing there to work with.  

48 minutes ago, JiF said:

Well, in their defense Mcguire played 36 snaps last week and Crow played 23. And that was just his first game back. Hopefully, Mcguire gets more and more involved in the offense. 

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

They couldn’t block long enough, the defense sat at the sticks and the Jets had no answer.  There’s nothing there to work with.  

worse the dolphins didn't have to blitz so they dropped 7 into coverage and darnold had to deal with the bad snaps, bad protection and wrs running short routes.  and then guys like kearse can't even stay in bounds.  

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

worse the dolphins didn't have to blitz so they dropped 7 into coverage and darnold had to deal with the bad snaps, bad protection and wrs running short routes.  and then guys like kearse can't even stay in bounds.  

They rushed 4 most of the day and the Jets O line couldn’t hold up.  Not going to have much success if you can’t block a 4 man rush.  Add to that the bad snaps, poor effort from some receivers and an overall lack of talent at the skill positions, and you get what we saw on Sunday.  

21 minutes ago, Paradis said:

We are clearly seeing something different.  Crow has been trash.  Literally gives zero effort for the extra yard, he's dancing and not hitting the hole.  If there is not a canyon like lane, he's a waste of a down.

McGuire was running hard.  He looked strikingly different with the ball.  He's obviously capable of the big play, which is literally all Crow has given you this year.  3 big runs and a bunch of 2 yard fall overs. 

idk man, looked like one dude was a slug in the mud and the other dude looked spry and wanting it.

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

They rushed 4 most of the day and the Jets O line couldn’t hold up.  Not going to have much success if you can’t block a 4 man rush.  Add to that the bad snaps, poor effort from some receivers and an overall lack of talent at the skill positions, and you get what we saw on Sunday.  

wasn't talked about during the game a lot but i thought darnold really had trouble reading the D b/c he was usually under duress and the phins had 7 in coverage.  that's when alonzo bracketed the wr and picked it off.  shell was awful, yet, why didn't they leave someone back there to block wake when he was torching him?  just another non-adjustment made despite poor results.  you have the worst cbs announcing team completely puzzled why they hadn't benched the center.  and they didn't watch the past month of games - they nearly lost the colts game b/c of long too.  

28 minutes ago, flgreen said:

IMO McGuire should get bulk of snaps, with Cannon getting 3rd and 7+..  Besides the one freak game Crowell hasn't done squat 

27 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.  Everyone can see that Crowell is visibly slower, but the coaches should see his 1.9, 2.2, 2.1 YPC average and say”hey, maybe Crow isn’t getting it done”.  

I've been on Crow for weeks now.  He's literally not even trying if it isnt there.  And then he gets up and yells at the OL.  There were a few times in the past few weeks where he flat out missed the hole or wasnt willing to get it.  I remember a specific 3rd and 1, they pulled Winters, he actually gave him the lane for at least 2 and Crow didnt want it.  It would have required diving, taking a hit and going hard for the 2.  He saw it, he looked right at it, he didnt want it.

Players get benched for that around the league.  Not here.

Just now, JiF said:

I've been on Crow for weeks now.  He's literally not even trying if it isnt there.  And then he gets up and yells at the OL.  There were a few times in the past few weeks where he flat out missed the hole or wasnt willing to get it.  I remember a specific 3rd and 1, they pulled Winters, he actually gave him the lane for at least 2 and Crow didnt want it.  It would have required diving, taking a hit and going hard for the 2.  He saw it, he looked right at it, he didnt want it.

crowell is the perfect bowles player - low upside, guaranteed 2-4 yards, clock keeps moving, a non-factor in the passing game.  no way is this guy being benched.  bowles rode chris ivory until he broke down and that's what's going to happen again with crowell.

27 minutes ago, Paradis said:

i think the injuries this year have sapped him... he's not exploding through LBers in any capacity... but he's had more than just 1 decent game. 

The whole offense if fcked right now. Routes are predictable, running game is flat, and people aren't playing inspired football. I do agree that McGuire needs to start seeing 50% of the snaps, for assessment purposes if nothing else, but it's a hard to gage anyone in this O right now. 

That's all true but dude, I'm telling you.  I wish I could find the plays I'm talking about and show you specifically.  It was blatant.  He legit put his eyes right on what he needed and was like, nah.  

That's all true but dude, I'm telling you.  I wish I could find the plays I'm talking about and show you specifically.  It was blatant.  He legit put his eyes right on what he needed and was like, nah.  

I’ll concede that I haven’t been watching the games over the last month with a watchful eye. After 4-5 weeks it was clear to me that coaching and the offense was a mess and I tuned out from really digging into individual performances. I’ve to got 2 TVs going at my house and whatever alternate game I’ve got on has been 10x more exciting that our hot garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, JiF said:

We have a walking two turnovers a game in Long and the coach refuses to bench him. Can’t even be mad, ownership knows who Bowles is and gave him an extension. 

40 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I’ll concede that I haven’t been watching the games over the last month with a watchful eye. After 4-5 weeks it was clear to me that coaching and the offense was a mess and I tuned out from really digging into individual performances. I’ve to got 2 TVs going at my house and whatever alternate game I’ve got on has been 10x more exciting that our hot garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear you...I've been using the DIRECTV Redzone channel to see scores of the other games being played while watching the Jets game on another TV. It's mind boggling how inept we are on offense when I see some of these other games with the scoreboards getting lit up like a pinball machine. Watching the Saints and Rams game last week was the polar opposite of watching a Jets game. Only way we had a good drive last week was when the REFS throw a facemask penalty a couple times. Spencer Long snapping the ball to Darnold is like watching pop warner football. This is an NFL team, and they can't even snap a ball. Bowles just stands on the sideline with his lip hanging out like Bubba Gump. lol...Can't wait till everyone is fired.

Archived