mock offseason

maury77

Hi all. I decided to run a mock offseason through Fanspeak. For a one time fee, you get to use their ultimate gm feature, which allows you to cut, restructure, resign free agents, sign other teams free agents and draft.

CUTS 

Kevin Pierre Louis - we can replace him with Neville Hewitt or a draft pick, saves about 2.5 million. 

Spencer Long - cause he is bloody awful. 

RESTRUCTURE AND RESIGN

Leonard Williams - I don't want to pay him 14 million next year, but I don't want to waive him either. I extended for 4 years at a lower salary. 

Quincy Enunwa - His injuries allowed me to bring him back at 8.5 for 3 years

Jonathan Harrison, Dakota Dozier, Henry Anderson, Ben Ijalana, Neville Hewitt- cheap depth resignings. 

FREE AGENTS

Tom Savage (5 million per for 2 years) - With McCown retiring, Jets will need a vet. Savage has a connection to Mac from his Houston days. 

Le'Veon Bell (13.5 for 4 years) - Some of you are going to kill me for the money and years, but the Jets need elite players on offense. 

Tyrell Williams (10 for 3 years) - Big outside target for our young QB. 

Mitch Morse (5 for 4 years) - young, above average center who will be the team's best center since Mangold. 

Dee Ford (10 for 3 years) - It came down to Ford v. Fowler. Ford (when healthy) has been a better player. Ford is killing it this year. 

Rodger Saffold (10 for 3) - elite guard who will play between Beachum and Morse while keeping Darnold clean. 

Maxx Williams (5 for 3) - above average tight end who is still young and will provide depth behind Herndon. 

Za'Darius Smith (5 for 2) - Depth edge signing who will compete with Jenkins (and possibly a rookie) to start across from Ford. 

Ronald Darby (11 for 4) - Claiborne was asking for too many years, so I went with the younger (24 years old) option. 

DRAFT 

I traded back from 7 to 16 so I could pick up a second round pick

Round 1 - LT DALTON RISNER - LT prospect who could start in place of Winters right away and take over for Beachum next year. 
KANSAS STATE
Round 2 - EDGE BRIAN BURNS - Good edge rusher (9 sacks so far this year) who can start off on passing downs while he fills out his body down the road to be an every down player
FLORIDA STATE
Round 3 - TE T.J. HOCKENSON - underrated prospect due to playing next to Noah Fant. 
IOWA
Round 3 - QB SHEA PATTERSON - good prospect to develop into a backup or to trade down the road. 
MICHIGAN
Round 4 - C/G GARRETT BRADBURY - more OL
NC STATE
Round 5 - LB TROY DYE - very good athlete who can help right away on special teams.
OREGON
Round 7 - WR TYRE BRADY - good developmental WR prospect. 
MARSHALL

Couple of thoughts.  

I like the OL overhaul.  2 starters in FA and a 3rd in the draft.  Would like to see an upgrade at T though.  Beachum is just a guy and Shell got exposed last week.  Wake owned him.

I am warming to the idea of Bell as FA.  Hated the idea of a trade, but as FA, I could live with it.  We need playmakers who can take pressure off Sam.  

Not keeping Robby?  As an RFA, I would put a 2nd round tender on him and either keep him at about $3MM; or pick up an extra 2nd for him.  I would not just let him walk.

Have not gotten up to speed too much yet on draft prospects, and while I like Risner, hasn't he been playing RT at K State, is he really a LT?

Love Burns in the 2nd.  He is the only thing worth watching on that FSU team this year.

With Darnold, Savage and Webb, and the number of holes we have on the roster, I don't like the idea of spending one or our 3s on a QB who is not likely to help the team in 2019.  Gotta be some good WR options on the board late 3.

Sorry Maury, but I'm not a big fan of that offseason. In retrospect that might be your worst post ever on tackling the Jets for next year.?

Now I'll break it down:

Never sign Tom Savage...ever

Dozier, Harrison, Ijalana(really?), and Hewitt can pound stone. Is Hewitt even on the team?

I'm against signing Bell because players with that much mileage that **** their team would not be someone I would target as a high end FA. He will never duplicate his best years and has been replaced without a beat by Pitt.

I like the other free agent signings.

I'll get back to you on the draft but if we select a QB with our third rounder I'll completely lose it.

I'd also explore moving Leo since we have his fifth year option. Maybe its Bowles scheming him but he's just not disruptive enough too bring back at anything over 10-12 mil a year....tops. Let someone else overpay him.

@Lith

I technically added 4 OL (I drafted a C/G in the mid rounds). Risner plays LT for KSU, so he was my tackle upgrade. The way the board fell for my first round pick, he was the best OL available. The FA options for tackle were trash. 

I would keep Robby, but for whatever reason, the software didn't include him. Despite all the players I signed, I had 34 million left in cap room, so I could definitely fit Anderson in. 

Re Patterson, I wish I could show you the board when the pick came up. There just were not a lot of options. If we can develop Patterson, he is a long term back or someone we can flip for a pick in the future. Remember, I used the New Orleans 3rd rounder on Patterson. That pick was the next to last pick in the round (almost a 4th rounder). 

My second rounder came down to WR v. edge rusher. I went with edge rusher because a) I think we have more young talent at WR then edge & b) next year's WR class is supposed to be loaded (like 2014 loaded). 

@RobR I still love ya :)

re Savage, we needed a vet backup QB. I can't go into next season with being an ACL tear away from 16 games of Davis Webb. If not Savage, is Trevor Sieman that much of an upgrade? I tried to sign Sieman first, but he wanted too much $$$. 

Davis, Harrison, Ijalana and Hewitt were strictly depth signings. You can flip them for other vet minimum salary depth signings and I'd be fine with it. Hewitt was better than you are giving him credit for during the preseason. 

Re Bell, yeah, I completely understand your point. I think there are arguments for and against signing him. That being said, he was the best skill position player available in FA and, at the end of the day, we need a better offense and we have money to burn. 

I agree with you about Leo, but I offered 9 million a year for 4 years and he took it, so I came in slightly below the numbers you quoted. 

Not bad.   I think you need to add some more receivers though.  With only Peake under contract you need a couple more FA WRs. 

Risner is a RT in the NFL.  He’s kinda struggled against speed guys, but that’s just my opinion.  

I like Morse but he’s going to cost way more than 5 per.  Long is getting 6.5 and absolutely sucks.  Morse will get at least 7, maybe more of a bidding war develops.  

Not a chance in hell I draft any QB in the 3rd round, I would look RB or WR there.  Going to be some decent big WRs available and the 3rd round might be a landing spot for some of them.  

And just saw Darby tore his ACL, need a new FA CB.  

@sec101row23 , you are right about WR. I tried to get Lockett as well, but he wanted too much $$$. 

Although Risner is currently playing RT, I think he is athletic enough to play on the other side. 

I'd prefer Paradis to Morse (especially at over 7 a year), but Paradis resigned with Denver in my simulation. 

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

@sec101row23 , you are right about WR. I tried to get Lockett as well, but he wanted too much $$$. 

Although Risner is currently playing RT, I think he is athletic enough to play on the other side. 

I'd prefer Paradis to Morse (especially at over 7 a year), but Paradis resigned with Denver in my simulation. 

Got any tape on Risner? Time for an early breakdown.

8 minutes ago, maury77 said:

#71, playing RT (frequently against Montez Sweat, a 1st round edge prospect)

He's not a LT prospect at all.  I see some positives but this guy is a mauler and nothing else.

Positives:

He's aggressive and plays to the whistle.

Gets decent hand extension and can drive his initial assignment

Bad:

His base for passpro sucks and with his body frame it aint happening

Plays entirely too upright which causes him to duck his head.

Average feet at best.

His next level blocking was poor and uncoordinated.

Overall:

Based on only that tape alone I see a 3rd to 4th rounder. He's also never sliding over to the LT position. I think he kicks inside and turns into a good guard in the pros.

He's not a LT prospect at all.  I see some positives but this guy is a mauler and nothing else.
Positives:
He's aggressive and plays to the whistle.
Gets decent hand extension and can drive his initial assignment
Bad:
His base for passpro sucks and with his body frame it aint happening
Plays entirely too upright which causes him to duck his head.
Average feet at best.
His next level blocking was poor and uncoordinated.
Overall:
Based on only that tape alone I see a 3rd to 4th rounder. He's also never sliding over to the LT position. I think he kicks inside and turns into a good guard in the pros.

What do you think about Jonah? He’s arguably the best offensive prospect in the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, maury77 said:

What do you think about Jonah? He’s arguably the best offensive prospect in the draft.

I honestly have no clue....I haven't watched him yet. Good news is even with DB breaking down we should have a ton of tape on him in the offseason.

24 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Lol, you asked for it

Just watched the 2017 tape against Clemson.

Pros: 

This guy knows how to use his hands, some of the best hand placement I've seen.

Gets a good wide base Ironically Bama used him mostly in Passpro in that tape,

Negatives:

He doesn't have elite feet and struggles with speed rushers second moves or relentless moves..

He's 50/50 at the next level. Some blocks were great and some were whiffs. I think he will improve in this category.

I don't see the nastiness.

Overall:

Because of his hand placement he gets elevated but I still don't see top 3 overall level pick. I'll be curious how he measures with arm length and height/weight. 

So in your scenario of a trade back and getting a 2nd rounder, here is my all too early off the top of my head mock.   Only 4 rounds and a big F**k you to the defense..Lol

1. N’Keal Harry WR ASU

2. Yodney Cajuste OT WVU

3. Hakeem Butler WR Iowa State 

3. Isiah Prince OT Ohio State

4. Chris Lindstrom OG Boston College.  

i'm going to use your Fanspeak GM tool to try one out as well, as soon as i finished puking my guts out from sunday... disgusting that Bowles gets to walk this team in and out of a bye week. Fck you todd, resign. 

Thoughts on yours--

• I think we're fine with Webb as a back up for the next couple years - at least until we're truly a contender and have need for something more. If not, then there's enough retreads floating around... hell barkley just hung 117 on us. translation wouldn't waste time on Savage, and wouldn't draft a QB
  • Don't have any "strong" feelings about the rest, other than it lacks a little pizzazz - but that's kind of how real life works. i'm not crazy about the Bell signing, but i also see why it works and could happen. We need to do something.... 
  • I think we need to come away from the offseason with more than T. Williams... this draft IMO is loaded with depth at WR. Would hope to come away with something more than your marshall flyer personally. 

30 minutes ago, maury77 said:

@Paradis, it really is difficult to hit a lot of "home runs" in the simulator. Also, I try to be reasonable with the drafts. For example, I had Jachai Polite available for my second rounder, but we all know he isn't going to be there, so I didn't pick him. 

yea i hate that too - it's like no way this dude will be here. It makes the whole exercise feel like a dry hump. 

On 11/13/2018 at 9:18 AM, sec101row23 said:

So in your scenario of a trade back and getting a 2nd rounder, here is my all too early off the top of my head mock.   Only 4 rounds and a big F**k you to the defense..Lol

1. N’Keal Harry WR ASU

2. Yodney Cajuste OT WVU

3. Hakeem Butler WR Iowa State 

3. Isiah Prince OT Ohio State

4. Chris Lindstrom OG Boston College.  

BC Fan here, I love lindstrom, but hes a second rounder - walterfootball even had him in the late first.

Cajuste is a real interesting prospect and given that Beachem isnt a disaster we could take cajuste and lindstrom, keep Beachem and let Cajuste develop for a year.

1 minute ago, BCJet said:

BC Fan here, I love lindstrom, but hes a second rounder - walterfootball even had him in the late first.

Cajuste is a real interesting prospect and given that Beachem isnt a disaster we could take cajuste and lindstrom, keep Beachem and let Cajuste develop for a year.

Yea, I’ve seen Lindstrom in the second other places.  Wishful thinking on my part I guess..Lol. 

Archived